Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

RPGMaster

Savant
More comic book action bollocks ala 2 & 3.

Prime Junta

I kinda liked the ME's. The popamole was mole-poppy, and it was fun to hate everything else. Plus, in BioWare's usual vein, there were bouts of good stuff floating in the sludge here and there.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
popamole dressed up with simplistic RPG systems and retardation
Regardless of whether ME is considered RPG or not, it's worth finishing the second one if just to see how the total sum of your C&C can alter the way the final mission unfolds.

Keep in mind, that was made in a design context where the majority of players never finish the games they start. And where critics still need to argue that ending slides in RPGs are a bare minimum.

Castozor

Scholar
I hope the renegade path is "be a human supremacist and screw the filthy Xenos" if so :d1p:.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Indicating the level design was ever good in any ME...Or any Bioware game for that matter.

The level design in Mass Effect 2 was great. I really enjoyed that game.
I liked ME2 and all - best game in the series - but the level design was still pretty lame. It revolved around linear maps with those stupid auto-cover barricades that would pop up conveniently everywhere you went. Very meh.

That's not to say it wasn't heaps better than ME1 with its giant maps filled with nothing that you would traverse in the Mako *shudder* while trying not to fall asleep.

pippin

Yeah, making smaller maps was good but the biggest flaw, which ends up being almost like a joke, is when you find all those tetris blocks lying around and you know there will be a combat sequence.

The final mission was somewhat clever, mostly because you saw the effect of what you did through the game (as it was said before). However since you don't have "timed" missions and you can pretty much do everything you want, this is really underwhelming. It's like you only fail if you got bored and decided to skip missions through the game. But the whole affair was cool for a modern shooter.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I mean, would it have been so hard to design maps with natural cover? If I were a bad guy, I'd disable the autocover systems for everyone except my troops and I. BOOM. In your FACE, Shepherd! :M

Castozor

Scholar
Sounds more like a paragon path to me. :smug:
I agree but this is Bioware we are talking about. Helping a gay/trannie Xeno get over Xir identity issues is more important than actually creating a sustainable and safe colony for real human beings.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I liked ME2 and all - best game in the series - but the level design was still pretty lame. It revolved around linear maps with those stupid auto-cover barricades that would pop up conveniently everywhere you went. Very meh.

It's a console game designed by BioWare. I wasn't expecting Half-Life or Unreal like quality area design.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Hey remember that technology that brought Shepard back from the dead in the beginning of Mass Effect 2? You know, that thing that was possibly the most important technology humans ever developed, but was used once and never mentioned again? If Bioware writers could remember their own plots, that thing might be used to bring Shepard back.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey remember that technology that brought Shepard back from the dead in the beginning of Mass Effect 2? You know, that thing that was possibly the most important technology humans ever developed, but was used once and never mentioned again? If Bioware writers could remember their own plots, that thing might be used to bring Shepard back.

ME2 plot is a huge clusterfuck, it's like it happens in a parallel dimension where basic logic has no value whatsoever.

And the human reaper? LOL!

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

If we're pointing out plot holes, then this one crossed my mind earlier today.

Why did Space Wizard make the Citadel his base of operations? It says he hibernated between cycles and had to be woken up (by Sovereign) to begin the reaping, and that if this didn't happen then it would take years for the Reapers to reach the known galaxy.

But what if (the Citadel by design being the "Rome" of the galaxy) a bunch of species decided to fight over it and inadvertently blew it into space debris? Like, terrorists suddenly detonated a nuclear bomb inside the Citadel because they don't want the ruling race of that particular cycle to conquer their home world. Protheans did that crap after all, and people tried to stop them.

Citadel blowing up would represent a problem for Space Wizard.

Grimlorn

Arcane
An ancient power threatening the galaxy.
Super synthetics (more advanced than the Reapers) that wiped out all intelligent, organic life in the Andromeda Galaxy.

Also Bioware is so desperate to get away from the cluster fuck that was ME3 that they are moving to an entirely new galaxy.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
An ancient power threatening the galaxy.
Super synthetics (more advanced than the Reapers) that wiped out all intelligent, organic life in the Andromeda Galaxy.

Also Bioware is so desperate to get away from the cluster fuck that was ME3 that they are moving to an entirely new galaxy.

Guess ruining the Milky Way wasn't enough for them. They have to push the Pop Molian Jihad beyond the boundaries of the Known Universe.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Fuck all the haters. Mass Effect trilogy did space opera rpg better than anyone else attempting it... which is no one. You ungrateful degenerates go back to playing Fantasy Hero Quest.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
the thing that stands out to me in the trailer is the jetpack.

Anyway, so was this ever debunked, cuz it kinda goes along with the trailer etc:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/20/report-mass-effect-4-details-leaked-through-survey

It kinda goes along with Bioware - period.. This feels like Inquistion in space and honestly - I totally buy it. Even if this guy is full of shit and just stating stuff from Inquistion with a new spacey code of paint - he is probably still unintentionally right.

I can picture Bioware scrambling like "We didn't do any surveys.. how does this guy know?!"

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
nothappening.jpg

tumblr_mvnjhxzzSs1sl1lbuo1_500.gif

Fuck all the haters. Mass Effect trilogy did space opera rpg better than anyone else attempting it... which is no one. You ungrateful degenerates go back to playing Fantasy Hero Quest.
Well, it's not a RPG, it's a space-opera interactive B-movie/popamole shooter, but otherwise I agree.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
For old times sake I won't say that ME is all crap. The setting wins in comparison with DA (original races, more plausible conflicts). ME1 story was good and ME2 combat was popamole done right. But it's all in the past now. After SWTOR and DA:I it's really hard to believe that EAWare is still capable of making anything playable.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The team making ME:A are a completely different team than the DA:I team. It is *possible* they might come up with something.............. decent. But I'm not holding my breath. Because they have to waste 90% of the games design on multi-player shit.

pippin

The thing that forced you to play multiplayer to get the best ending in ME3 was something made in Hell. Fortunately I think the ME site in the Social Network has a browser version of this thing that helped you increase the readiness. Not that I'd be playign ME3 again, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom