Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I liked ME2 and all - best game in the series - but the level design was still pretty lame. It revolved around linear maps with those stupid auto-cover barricades that would pop up conveniently everywhere you went. Very meh.

It's a console game designed by BioWare. I wasn't expecting Half-Life or Unreal like quality area design.

You cannot use consoles as an excuse. There are hundreds of console games that wipe the floor with ME2 in terms of level design.

Unwanted

Fitz

Unwanted
Anyway, so was this ever debunked, cuz it kinda goes along with the trailer etc
No, so far it seems entirely accurate and the fact that both the leak and the official statement is that the game takes place in the andromeda galaxy makes it quite likely that it was real, everything fits too good to be fake. Bioware is really bad at keeping secrets, the entirety of ME3's plot was leaked quite some time before the game was released too.
Fuck all the haters. Mass Effect trilogy did space opera rpg better than anyone else attempting it... which is no one. You ungrateful degenerates go back to playing Fantasy Hero Quest.
Compared to games in the same vein I'd say it did quite poorly. It ripped off a lot of things from Star Control 2 and 3, but did them with less grace and elegance. Whereas the resource collecting in SC2 was swift and arcadey it was always a complete waste of time and a bore in the ME series. The story and so on was also the same but dumber with extra cheese and cringey shit added. Not to mention the popamole gameplay etc. So I'd say you're entirely off your rocker if you think Mass Effect did it best. The Starflight series and the Star Control series both did what it tried to do but a hundred times better. Shit, even games like Planet's Edge and Megatraveller did it better. Then you have games like Albion... The Mass Effect series is neither unique nor very good, nuff said.
The team making ME:A are a completely different team than the DA:I team. It is *possible* they might come up with something.............. decent. But I'm not holding my breath. Because they have to waste 90% of the games design on multi-player shit.
Consider that the team making DA:I was the same team that made the previous DAs, the multiplayer bogus and facebook game design is rather obviously a directive from above. Pretty sure I remember reading that multiplayer is required for all EA games at this point, no exceptions.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Anyway, so was this ever debunked, cuz it kinda goes along with the trailer etc
No, so far it seems entirely accurate and the fact that both the leak and the official statement is that the game takes place in the andromeda galaxy makes it quite likely that it was real, everything fits too good to be fake. Bioware is really bad at keeping secrets, the entirety of ME3's plot was leaked quite some time before the game was released too.
Fuck all the haters. Mass Effect trilogy did space opera rpg better than anyone else attempting it... which is no one. You ungrateful degenerates go back to playing Fantasy Hero Quest.
Compared to games in the same vein I'd say it did quite poorly. It ripped off a lot of things from Star Control 2 and 3, but did them with less grace and elegance. Whereas the resource collecting in SC2 was swift and arcadey it was always a complete waste of time and a bore in the ME series. The story and so on was also the same but dumber with extra cheese and cringey shit added. Not to mention the popamole gameplay etc. So I'd say you're entirely off your rocker if you think Mass Effect did it best. The Starflight series and the Star Control series both did what it tried to do but a hundred times better. Shit, even games like Planet's Edge and Megatraveller did it better. Then you have games like Albion... The Mass Effect series is neither unique nor very good, nuff said.
The team making ME:A are a completely different team than the DA:I team. It is *possible* they might come up with something.............. decent. But I'm not holding my breath. Because they have to waste 90% of the games design on multi-player shit.
Consider that the team making DA:I was the same team that made the previous DAs, the multiplayer bogus and facebook game design is rather obviously a directive from above. Pretty sure I remember reading that multiplayer is required for all EA games at this point, no exceptions.

Poor reading skills, its a space opera rpg, not fucking Star Control 4 or FTL or Anachronox or Starflight. These days no one is attempting to do what Bioware has done, an epic save the universe story focused rpg in space with weird alien races and bigger than life threats.

People might not like the gameplay or the style, but unless VD starts releases his Scifi rpg now, its what you have on the market.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
its a space opera rpg
It's Gears of War in space with the rest stolen from the Star Control games, I wouldn't exactly call it an RPG.
:retarded:

Probably said by someone who never played Gears of War, i did... all of them on the xbox 360. They dont play the same, they dont look the same, they have vastly different scopes and settings... its like comparing the Witcher 3 with Arkham Asylum just because both are 3rd person and involve combat.

Telengard

Arcane
... its like comparing the Witcher 3 with Arkham Asylum just because both are 3rd person and involve combat.
Ooh, now there's an interesting idea. Witcher and Arkham Asylum comparison.
  1. Both utilize a too-gruff-for-you hero with a tragic past.
  2. Both use a combat mechanic that rewards not forethought, insight, nor planning, but timed reactions when the screen flashes.
  3. Rolling is used in both as a means of evasion.
  4. The main attack in both is a mindless repetitive hitting of the same key.
  5. Both make use of an unlock gib-oriented power tree that is founded upon xp.
  6. Both contain at least one unlockable, badly balanced gib power that turns the game into "Easy" mode.
  7. The basic fundamental design element of both is the fetch quest.
  8. The enemies of both are pitched as being severely weaker than you, allowing you to easily conquer 5 at a time, even when surrounded.
  9. The core storyline of both is a backdrop event, which you largely ignore while you instead go on a fashionable romp through your past encounters.
  10. In both, the impact of the core storyline on events as they progress that the core storyline is rather overshadowed by some of the events in the game.
Thanks! That was fun.

J1M

Arcane
The Inquisition game design should be no surprise. It allows the studio to craft the 'important' story portions of the game that go into trailers and bookend the game first and spend any remaining time filling up the world with things disconnected from the main plot. Those middle portions can be easily cut to meet deadlines or randomly generated to meet quotas.

Essentially, they are making game development less risky by lowering the quality bar and selling it to players as an open-world experience.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
its a space opera rpg
It's Gears of War in space with the rest stolen from the Star Control games, I wouldn't exactly call it an RPG.
:retarded:

Probably said by someone who never played Gears of War, i did... all of them on the xbox 360. They dont play the same, they dont look the same, they have vastly different scopes and settings... its like comparing the Witcher 3 with Arkham Asylum just because both are 3rd person and involve combat.

You can only upset me once. Now I laugh at your stupidity.

:greatjob:

:nocountryforshitposters:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ass Defect 1 was your average popamole, and the sequel is the worst game I've ever played. (didn't even try ass defect 3 as a result)

No idea how can anyone enjoy it, let alone call it an ARR PEE GEE. :retarded:

Guess Kem0sAbE is retarded

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Ass Defect 1 was your average popamole, and the sequel is the worst game I've ever played. (didn't even try ass defect 3 as a result)

No idea how can anyone enjoy it, let alone call it an ARR PEE GEE. :retarded:

Guess Kem0sAbE is retarded

7d047a072243c8fbe63a5eb9007bb9a37d772742e8f55bc0b104f77354f287f4.jpg

Beggar

Cipher
And why is he a retard? Because he said that Mass Effect games are piece of shit? And he is god damn right. Who can even play that american super hero crap? Where am I? RPG Codex or some kind of forum for casuals where everyone loves mass effect, walking dead and dishonored trash crap money grab

polo

Magister
I really enjoyed the first one, it had "space exploring", rpg elements, etc. It was popamolish but well, it was enjoyable. 2 was shit, 3 didn't play.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
And why is he a retard? Because he said that Mass Effect games are piece of shit? And he is god damn right. Who can even play that american super hero crap? Where am I? RPG Codex or some kind of forum for casuals where everyone loves mass effect, walking dead and dishonored trash crap money grab

Because hardcore rpg's are the only valid genre? Fuck you and your pretentious taste.

Action scifi rpg's on the pc gave games from SS2 and Deux Ex to Mass Effect. A good entertaining action rpg experience can be just as satisfying as a turn based rpg, and often more so (look at blackguards, DOS, WL2 as examples of TB hardcore rpg's that failed at basic concepts like "fun").

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This thread is now about "ME vs GoW: which is better and why? Discuss!".

Personally, I did quite enjoy ME, despite all of its (minor and major) shortcomings: it still felt like an RPG, with action-oriented combat and an ok plot. Above all, it did deliver a great space opera atmosphere, at times giving off some heavy Asimov (well, or Asimov-make-do) vibes. Then, Bioware ditched it all and ME2 was a gargantuan step-down, being little more than a whack-a-mole with the most horribly failed attempt at an epic plot, peppered with forgettable characters and story, while ME3 was just laughable at, under every possible respect.

I only ever played the original GoW and I admit I quite enjoyed it. It gave a fair amount of satisfaction to push on through the level, capping shit to shreds, dodging and rolling from cover to cover. Quite a decent 3RD person shooter, with good pacing and a story ok enough to hold my attention through the levels.

Edit: ME4 will suck. Hard. Harder than a Saigon hooker in '67.

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Sucks that there aren't too many space opera rpg-ish games, so sci-fi fags have to suffer through Ass Defect to get their fix. I wouldn't mind some more popamolin' in space, but looking at biowaru's latest (s)hit DA:I and it's cancerous "single player mmo" style and cringey writing* I get the feeling that ME4 is going to be total crap without any redeeming qualities, not worthy of playing even as a "good for what it is" popamoler. And that cowboy shit in the trailer, ME1 at least had that cool 80s sf feeling and aesthetics, funny how Biowaru has to crapify the one thing they did right.

*storyfaggotry in ME3 was also cringe inducing

ozymandiusz

Novice
I can't wait to play Dragon Age Effect Andromeda. Big open world with shitload of collectibles...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom