Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

DraQ

Arcane
There's a small family business in my country called XCOM. They mostly do technical support stuff. When the reboot was launched, 2k contacted this family, asking them to change the business' name, but they told them to fuck off and, to this day, this small business is still called XCOM :lol:

I've heard of a similar case from Iceland. Can't remember all the details, but IIRC two brothers were members in a local band in the late 90s which caught a small break and were booked on a small tour in the US. Just before the tour starts, the band is hit by a Cease & Desist order. Reason? Their last names, fully-legal Icelandic last names, were violating copyright. Their father's name? Hans. Their last names? Hanson.

Naturally they refused to change their names, so they never played in the US.

How the fuck can a name even violate copyright :retarded:
In every justice system there should exist an offense of being criminally retarded and the default penalty should be having your face chainsawed apart - Doom 4 style.

DraQ

Arcane
Google, google, clicky clicky clicky.
What do we have here?
Let us also not forget how outright shitty many of BG II's mechanics were by modern standards. Just to name a few:

Randomized character creation. Yes, let's make the very first thing you do in the game a choice between repeatedly and tediously clicking a button and adding up the results, and lower permanent statistics.
The percentage die tacked onto 18 Strength, which manages to be both random and arbitrary.
THAC0. Gratuitously unintuitive.
ALL THE TABLES. What is this, MySQL Simulator?
Does this peasant even heard about 2nd edition?
All those criticisms are valid, though - PnP systems are a shitty fit for a cRPG.
:M

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
h4ED3DE40

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The honest part about the Honest Trailer?

It STILL follows the narrative that now that a new Fallout game is on the horizon it's now finally OK to condemn F3 as the piece of shit that it is, while proclaiming at the same time that F4 will be the awesomest awesome game ever made.

Last edited:

pippin

I've been avoiding Thi4f based on the principle that you shouldn't taste shit to know it's shit, but after watching this video:

I'm morbidly intrigued. Even though it's just an edgy attempt at being a videogame version of Cinemasins, the game doesn't even qualify as Thief fanfiction.

Sorry for the :deadhorse:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

The guy's an idiot. He complains that you can't have chases in D&D because there aren't rules for sprinting in D&D and everyone moves 30 feet a round, but in 3e at least there are rules for running. He's also assuming that all chases will happen on a flat, featureless surface, which would only happen if you have a really bad DM. A good DM would make it interesting with things like ledges to climb, boards to balance over, and gaps to jump, where failing a skill check could slow someone down and make him fall. And there are other ways for players and opponents to speed up or slow down: transmutation spells, control spells, teleports, items like caltrops and tanglefoot bags, and many more. Instead he's just gonna ignore all that, because his rant wouldn't work if he didn't.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I've been avoiding Thi4f based on the principle that you shouldn't taste shit to know it's shit, but after watching this video:

I'm morbidly intrigued. Even though it's just an edgy attempt at being a videogame version of Cinemasins, the game doesn't even qualify as Thief fanfiction.

*watches video*

# Gaming experience is only focused on Square Enix games, doesn't spend ONE MOMENT talking about the original Thief games. (But then again, that would make this an hour-long video instead of 15 minutes.)

# Her name is Erin and not Aaron you moron.

# Modern-day references to a game set in a fantasy-steampunk setting.

# It's Thiaf you taffing taffers, everyone with a functioning brain knows that it's horrible.

Gerrard

Arcane

The guy's an idiot. He complains that you can't have chases in D&D because there aren't rules for sprinting in D&D and everyone moves 30 feet a round, but in 3e at least there are rules for running. He's also assuming that all chases will happen on a flat, featureless surface, which would only happen if you have a really bad DM. A good DM would make it interesting with things like ledges to climb, boards to balance over, and gaps to jump, where failing a skill check could slow someone down and make him fall. And there are other ways for players and opponents to speed up or slow down: transmutation spells, control spells, teleports, items like caltrops and tanglefoot bags, and many more. Instead he's just gonna ignore all that, because his rant wouldn't work if he didn't.

Nah, his rant works because D&D has shitty rules.

And I'd rather have him than Sawyer. :troll:

pippin

# Gaming experience is only focused on Square Enix games, doesn't spend ONE MOMENT talking about the original Thief games. (But then again, that would make this an hour-long video instead of 15 minutes.)

# Her name is Erin and not Aaron you moron.

# Modern-day references to a game set in a fantasy-steampunk setting.

# It's Thiaf you taffing taffers, everyone with a functioning brain knows that it's horrible.

That's why I said the video was edgy, there are many spelling errors and etc. But the images speak for themselves. Even when you judge the game by its own merits, you're left with an overpriced piece of shovelware. I mean, yeah, modern reboots don't look or play like the originals at all, but the game looks really unprofessional. It doesn't even deserve the "russian shovelware" tag because Death To Spies is a russian game and it's a fucking hardcore stealth experience. And you must admit the rest of the Squeenix reboots managed to be presentable. They at least had tiny iotas of the original series, but Thiaf isn't even a decent Dishonored knockoff.

It's also very disheartening to realize how the word taffer is not even used at least once in the game. I'm going to believe Thiaf accelerated Terry Pratchett's alzheimer, causing his death.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
If the words "Cause of death: Thiaf" appeared on Pratchett's autopsy report, no one would bat an eye. Really.

I knew Thiaf was several shades of Bad, but the cutscene transitions (note plural) are atrocious, and people notice them. The last time I saw a bad scene transition like that was in The Curse of Monkey Island* and people are STILL talking about that to this day. And Thiaf has several such atrocious scene transitions? Fuck. Dat. Shit.

*It's at the end of the game. LeChuck has regressed Guybrush to a child, and upon reverting back to adulthood Guybrush suddenly finds himself onboard a rollercoaster without any explanation. The storyboard for that cutscene has been found, but they had to squeeze the game onto 2 CDs, so the cutscene had to go. This was in 1997, and Monkey Island fans still bring this up now and again.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I love how the video guy comments "That writer still has a job by the way" every time a horrible writing cliche happens. :lol:

Ninjerk

Arcane
How times have changed :lol:

I wonder if there's a discrete post where you can see the change happen

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom