Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dear nazi douchebags, (or: no-ban policy has been revoked)

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
sheek said:
Most posters here have gone years (or at least the couple months since they joined)without saying anything useful or adding to this site or community in any way. When’s the last time I said anything that added anything significant to a rpg discussion here? In order not to be a hypocrite, and to selflessly pave the way for this site becoming respectable again and not a safe haven for retarded children saying, posting, and linking to stupid shit, all while knowing absolutely nothing about rpgs, I am volunteering to ban myself permanently from this site.
Same here. I'm doing it for myself, the Codex has done all it can for me at the moment, and the longer I stay the more I'll become just another fps bitch. Time to move on to better and higher things (RPGWatch). When (or if) this site becomes a serious place to talk about RPGs I'll return.

Just to clarify. I'm not saying this is a bad site by any means, or that rpgwatch is better in any way. I don't want to leave on bad terms. I'm just trying to lead by example and hope that some house cleaning is done here so the rpgcodex can make a much needed shift in the right direction. I like and respect a lot of people here, but the retards are too prominant and add nothing to this site. They have to go, and since I'm one of them I have to go. No ill-will and I wish this site and its goal all the best.

edit: and just so it doesn't seem like I'm picking favorites, or doing this out of any reason besides good reasons, I'll stop posting on rpgwatch as well. I'm not doing this for drama, and I hate drama. Just please, get rid of the retards and make this site the leading rpg site for people with more stringent rpg tastes and intelligent discussion. And yes, most of the people with the dumbfuck label are less retarded and have more to add to this site than the average poster. At least people like Joe Krow have some flavor and some original ideas, even if he didn't fully form them or articulate them at first.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Roqua said:
and since I'm one of them I have to go.
Please don't, you're one of the ones that actually posts at TCancer! :D
(or does TCancer not apply to your self-banning?)

Or how about leading by example and starting some decent discussions?

Calis

Pensionado
Roqua's behaviour in this thread is almost tempting me towards dumbfuck-amnesty. Not gonna, because that would set a dangerous precedent. :D

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I was thinking of a dumbfuck amnesty recently, but only so we could weed the real offensive dickheads from those who are just disagreeable all the time, or had a nonsense moment in some interminably long argument with a staff member.
Unfortunately I doubt we staff members could agree on who should be de-dumbfucked :wink:
(and since we're going to kick out the repetitively offensive ones now...)

sheek

Arbiter
Just to clarify. I'm not saying this is a bad site by any means, or that rpgwatch is better in any way.
I have not become anti-Codex, I just think there isn't much RPG discussion here any more. Apart from the news posts I feel there is nothing to comment on. Like I said I'm doing this for myself, I realize I've been posting mindless crap and that I am part of the problem. I still think nazism is not the problem, Calis is a decent admin but cracking down on racism isn't going to change a thing. People will just move on to other idiocies... racism is a symptom not the cause.

If you want my advice... if I was in charge what I'd do is shut down General Discussion for a while. See how many people stick around then. Many people would still post but many of the 'regular' (worst) posters I don't think would. Kingcomrade for example, it seems 90% of his posts are in here and the other 10% are hijacks. I am not attacking KC, I actually like him, but it's obvious he does not contribute to this site in any way at all (definitely less than me).

Ban all idiocy, not by banning individuals, but by taking away the main source of idiocy (GD) and I promise you'll see a change. Maybe it's too radical but I honestly believe it's the only thing that would really work.

See what happens and re-open GD only when there's the site as a whole has changed.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I do post mostly here but I also post a lot in the News section. I don't post much in RPG Discussion because there's little there for me to say that I haven't already said and there haven't been any (new) good RPG discussions.

Maybe it's just a lack of imagination but I think the small number of games we can all agree on that are good RPGs have been discussed to death.

Castanova

Prophet
I came here for the intelligent gaming (not just RPG) discussion, stayed for the personalities. However, many of the personalities I first saw don't post a whole lot anymore. It's less of a hidden gem site these days which is the price paid for mounting some kind of mildly noticeable internet offensive against shitty ass RPG titles.

It is what it is. Forums are not a function of banning/behavior policies and the moderators. They're, by nature, a function of the people posting and people just don't stay in one place forever. RPGCodex was lightning in a bottle for quite a while. When Oblivion came out, the cap came off the bottle.

It's still a very good site. I like coming and reading the latest Fallout 3 bullshit and the news on random indie titles that I've never heard of. I like watching AoD develop even if I'm not sure I'm going to purchase it. If I got banned, I'd still lurk here. Just don't put too much effort into banning people in order to try to get back to the "old days."

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Calis said:
Re: Piracy: I've PM'd people to not do that stuff in the past (and have edited out links), but you're right, we've grown lenient in that over the past two years or so. Not a bad idea to take a more rigorous stance on editing out warez links.
Agree with this.
However, I was under the assumption that we were still doing that. At least, I know I have been (even Daggerfall, which people seem to have some misguided idea is abandonware).

Admittedly, I don't trawl the forums looking for things to moderate like a "real" moderator would, so there could be plenty of warez-talk going on I'm not aware of (?).

SlavemasterT

Arcane
sheek said:
If you want my advice... if I was in charge what I'd do is shut down General Discussion for a while. See how many people stick around then. Many people would still post but many of the 'regular' (worst) posters I don't think would. Kingcomrade for example, it seems 90% of his posts are in here and the other 10% are hijacks. I am not attacking KC, I actually like him, but it's obvious he does not contribute to this site in any way at all (definitely less than me).

Ban all idiocy, not by banning individuals, but by taking away the main source of idiocy (GD) and I promise you'll see a change. Maybe it's too radical but I honestly believe it's the only thing that would really work.

See what happens and re-open GD only when there's the site as a whole has changed.
That would be stupid. I suspect a good number of people are in the same boat I am, in that they came for the RPG news, enjoyed and stuck around for the general atmosphere, and continue to monitor the RPG news and discussions while enjoying some of the other interesting stuff on the side. I offer comments I think are relevant (and non-repetitive) in RPG-related threads whenever I have some, but I think I belong to a silent majority of people here who realize that they don't have the depth or breadth of knowledge of the genre that would be required to get into deep discussions with many of the experienced folks here who do. And there are a lot of things that have just already been talked about and beat to death, and don't really merit chiming in "I think so too" every time the topic comes up again. However, people like me still get to hear informed opinions about games and see various comparisons between them, and get an idea about which did what right and why, and where a good direction to head in the future might be; we also get exposed to old gems that we might've missed when they came out. And then, at least some of us non-literati of the Codex probably take these opinions and spread them around to other places, providing some counterbalance to the rampant idiocy that gets propagated from gaming news sites and other cesspools of retardation such as the ESF.

If you cut out all the pleasantly inane sideshow attractions and try to exclude everyone but the hardcore RPG enthusiasts from here, you'd only lessen the impact that the Codex can have on the gaming environment because you're limiting the number of people to whom you're going to get your message across. Sometimes you need a little something fun to make the more serious point palatable, and that's exactly the function of General Discussion for the Codex, as I see it.

Joe Krow

Erudite
@Roqua- Thanks.

@KingCommode- Less is more. I'm sorry your bored. Go play.

I still think the answer is getting as much spam as possible off the front page. Stow it... if we want spam we all know where to find it. By the same token, if someone interupts an rpg thread with spam they should get the communal bitch-slap. As it stands now there's no distinction. Spam fills my heart with sadness.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Shagnak said:
I was thinking of a dumbfuck amnesty recently...
I think we should definitely review the "tagged ones". I don't think that Roqua is the dumbfuck material, for example.

sheek

Arbiter
Slavemaster said:
If you cut out all the pleasantly inane sideshow attractions and try to exclude everyone but the hardcore RPG enthusiasts from here, you'd only lessen the impact that the Codex can have on the gaming environment
What are you saying? That the Codex currently has impact on the gaming environment? Lol

Nedrah

Erudite
Admiral jimbob said:
Quick reply worked for me when I realised I had to set the Codex as an exception in NoScript again for the .net address.

Thanks Jimbob, that's it. :) I'd say dumb mistake, but then again the real dumb mistake might rather happen to be browsing without something like noscript in the first place, I guess.

edit:

Ok, I did only read the third page after posting this.

I remember the first 1 or so year when I was lurking here without even registering an account. The tough love kind of pretty sophisticated discussions that were often going on were pretty intimidating in a way, definitely on a level where I felt it wasn't possible for me to contribute anything worth anyone's time. So I followed the often well placed general advise - "Lurk moar". Well, it has become a lot easier to just post like a monkey on LSD without getting bitch-slapped by the community. On the one hand, that makes it easier to try and be one of the serious posters - if you still end up only posting trivial non-relevant bullshit, you simply don't stand out. Good thing if one happens to be rather intoxicated when one decides it'd be a good time to start a thread. Unfortunately, at the same time it means that the occassional well meant serious and possibly interesting discussion inevitably gets drowned FAST by the brain farts of those who don't even try (possibly not anymore). I'll always be thankful for all the things I've found here - a much better understanding about the history and inner workings of my favorite genre, and lots and lots of games played I had never heard of before. However, currently it all seems to be a lot more show than substance, and planetickets or girltroubles seem to somehow have become a lot more interesting than anything rpg related.

It's not all that surprising, we've been through a period with nothing but shitstorms not even deserving the R in rpg on the horizon, a period where everything that could be discussed about the better games of past years could easily be determined not worth discussing (again) by a simple forum search. It would still be nice to return to a slightly different posting culture, where some of us stop to think a second before posting. The currently anounced indie titles alone should provide a lot of food for our collective thoughts and there's surely more to come. We don't have to rely on giving turds like FO3 free publicity, beloved franchise or not. I don't believe the lightning has left the bottle quite yet.

I dunno, you do get the sense the place has jumped the shark. Retards used to get brutally gang-raped and slink off into the ether, bloody prolapsed rectum in hand, and hold an eternal grudge and rail against us at any opportunity in other forums that suffer fools gladly, but now they just set up shop and we really can't be bothered anymore. I dunno, as one of the old guard I guess I can understand what you're doing. One or two attention whores sticking around because abuse is still better than nothing is alright and even funny, but there's been a serious idiot feedback loop building unchecked for quite a while.

Calis

Pensionado
OH NOES SOMEONE'S TRYING TO GET ME TO BAN ANONYMOUSE!!!!!1 WHAT WILL NICO'S ALTS DO NOW

Nedrah

Erudite
Joe Blow said:
At least have the decency to link to wherever you copy-pasted this from.

Assuming I'm not falling into the "Hey, I was refering to someone else" trap again...

What the fuck are you talking about?

Nedrah

Erudite
Joe Krow said:
Joe Blow said:
Upset you did I? You are my bitch... a cowardly bitch at that.

Thanks, I thought everyone was getting a bit excited about the whole dumbfuck amnesty thing, too.

Joe Krow said:
Joe Blow said:
Upset you did I? You are my bitch... a cowardly bitch at that.

God, can't you stupid kids rage against the machine somewhere else? Are you so goddamn lazy that only way you can be bothered to fight The Man is by pestering some dude thousands of miles across the ocean running an Internet site in his free time by mindlessly punching a keyboard a few times. You're not Che Guevara, you're a pimply-faced brat who'd probably get an asthma attack if he ever seriously considered telling off the McDonald's assistant manager next time he's informed those toilets should be gleaming after he's finished with them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom