Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

dunno lah

Arcane
That looks worse than Rage.

Eyeball

Arcane
Nowp. Can't play this on my Nvidia Geforce 650M GT laptop despite canirunit.com giving me the greenlight.

Odd, because previous games ran really well on my rig with just minor graphical reductions, now suddenly it's a now go. Ah well, AAA gonna AAA I guess.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's p. impressive, you'd think porting an UE3 title in 2015 would be trivial but PC is that much of a second-class citizen

Catfish

Learned
da fuck

They made a big deal out of creating a new original character for the game... but really just rebranded an old character?

Idk, I still don't think they would go that route.

The Death in the family storyline is pretty well known thanks to the animated movie, plus why would Todd take up a new persona when the red hood is already a pretty effective means of bat trolling?

Catfish

Learned
59D9A4FB3BA002655A5837781384BDA5982D17AF

Holy popping eyeballs, batman, a texture spazzed out in a game with great gameplay, an entertaining story and beautiful art! Zero out of ten, burn in hell, rocksteady!

Israfael

Arcane
FPS lock can be apparently solved by this:
Batman Arkham Knight\BmGame\Config\BmSystemSettings.ini parameter Max_"FPS=30" change to 60 or 999

Havent launched the game yet (decrypting took 30+ mins and i had to go to work), but i think most problems are related to the fact that porting was done by WB Montreal :troll:

Also, both GPU vendors issued special drivers for AK (yes, games now require special gpu software), and Nvidia one apparently causes driver crashes if you open any browser that uses Direct2d or 3d acceleration :lol:. Oh boy this would be Unity / Watchdogs 2.0 kind of flop i guess

PS I have slightly overclocked R9 290 so i'll post screenies if i have time to play it

Yeah the game's currently unplayable for me due to the widely reported "flickering" issues. The Nvidia driver purportedly fixes the issue but also introduces a host of system-wide problems.

Not too bothered as Steam's refund policy has me protected, but holy shit fuck WB for letting this game out in this state. Took all the goodwill I had from the AA and AC ports and shit all over it.

I guess that's what I get for :d1p:ing a AAA game for the first time in a decade. Should have known better.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Holy popping eyeballs, batman, a texture spazzed out in a game with great gameplay, an entertaining story and beautiful art! Zero out of ten, burn in hell, rocksteady!

Your comment s doubly amusing to me because you're using the same avatar as Perkel

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is the reason Steam refunds was created for, maybe not intentionally, but yeah.

Never seen a AAA -game get "mostly negative" review on Steam before, well, not on release day anyway.

These ports weren't exactly without flaws either. (Or at least as good as people here make them out to be)

Though Knight sounds much worse.

All I know is that the computer I paid $600 for in 2008 could run them both (admittedly on low settings) at ~45 fps, and the computer I paid $860 for in 2015 can't quite manage 3 fps in AK.

Edit: admittedly I didn't play either of the first two titles on launch day, and it seems likely that AK will be fully playable once patched in 6 months time, BUT I'M STILL RAGIN'!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Game also contains Denuvo DRM which was never stated on the Steam store page.

Duraframe300

Arcane
These ports weren't exactly without flaws either. (Or at least as good as people here make them out to be)

Though Knight sounds much worse.

All I know is that the computer I paid $600 for in 2008 could run them both (admittedly on low settings) at ~45 fps, and the computer I paid $860 for in 2015 can't quite manage 3 fps in AK.

Edit: admittedly I didn't play either of the first two titles on launch day, and it seems likely that AK will be fully playable once patched in 6 months time, BUT I'M STILL RAGIN'!

That makes sense then. City for example was/is horrible in DX11 mode, nowadays mostly balanced out by sheer power. The courthouse in the beginning is a notorious fps killer for some reason. Even with a top of the line card today you still won't reach stable 60fps.

My 980GTX dangels at ~45fps in that place.

There's also all the physx problems/crashes in Asylum.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Batman: Arkham Knight for PC is seriously broken, say AMD and Nvidia users

Stuttering, wildly variable frame rates, and crashes affecting many PC players.
by Mark Walton - Jun 23, 2015 2:16pm CEST

Reviews for the console version of Rocksteady's Batman: Arkham Knight have been overwhelmingly positive, but PC players aren't so happy. Users on reddit and Steam are reporting all manner of problems with the game, including stuttering, wildly variable frame rates, and crashes, to name but a few. There are also reports of memory leaks causing the game to spike to over 12GB of memory usage before crashing entirely. Steam users have bombed the game's profile page with negative reviews in response.

While the performance issues affect both Nvidia and AMD users, including those with high-end cards like the GTX 980 running the latest "Game Ready" drivers, it appears that once again AMD users are suffering the most. Hours before the release of Arkham Knight, Rocksteady updated the game's minimum system requirements, noting that "there are some known issues with the performance of Batman: Arkham Knight for PC owners using AMD graphics cards," and that it is "working closely with AMD to rectify these issues as quickly as possible." Multiple users have reported the game dropping to below 5 FPS with AMD cards.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time that AMD users have suffered from subpar performance compared to Nvidia users, with recent releases like the The Witcher 3 and Project Cars both evincing similar issues. Like The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Knight incorporates several Nvidia GameWorks technologies, including Enhanced Rain, Interactive Fog and Smoke, and Interactive Paper Debris. However, unlike with The Witcher 3, those effects appear to be running poorly across both Nvidia and AMD cards. Users are also reporting that disabling GameWorks features does little to help with frame rates.

While it's highly unlikely that Nvidia's involvement with the game has had any detrimental effect on AMD's performance—despite what AMD will probably say—the fact that it runs so poorly on its own hardware is disappointing to say the least. In a recent interview with Ars, Rocksteady's Lead Engine Programmer Dustin Holm explained that a "whole team at Nvidia" was working alongside them to develop the game.

"[Nvidia has] a team of people in their GameWorks division that develops this whole new set of technologies that do some really amazing stuff that's optimized to run on their cards. They then come to us with these proposals of some ideas of things that they can integrate in.

A lot of the content is developed by them, we do collaborate on some things, but a lot of it is super technical, like, they do a brilliant fluid simulation. Up until now, that kind of simulation has been way beyond the reach of what we can do in real time, but they've got some super big video cards that can run everything we've built, but they can run a little bit extra so they can run their own stuff on top as well. It's been the same process for all the games."

When questioned on the subject of GameWorks performance and AMD cards, Holm said: "We work with Nvidia and we trust their abilities to get it running well on their hardware, which they do, and no, those [GameWorks] features don't run on AMD, but we also work with the AMD driver team to work with them on performance issues so they can develop drivers. My job is to make sure that you get a good experience, so we try our best to make sure everything is running well on all platforms."

Other issues for Arkham Knight include corrupted game files for those that pre-loaded the game on Steam causing crashes and freezes, as well as significant frame drops when gliding, or calling and driving the Batmobile. The game itself is also limited to 30 FPS out of the box, and requires editing the game's files to disable it. To do so, users have to navigate to "STEAM_INSTALL_FOLDER\Batman Arkham Knight\BmGame\Config\BmSystemSettings.ini" and search for the line item "Max_FPS=30" and change it to "Max_FPS=9999".

Despite all the reported problems with Arkham Knight, not everyone is suffering, with some users claiming the game runs perfectly fine on their hardware. Indeed, one resident of the Ars Orbiting HQ (Britannia Module) who played the game briefly last night didn't encounter any issues at all. What makes this whole thing even more odd is that the game is running on a modified version of Unreal Engine 3, an engine that has been doing the rounds for a very long time and scales well across a variety of hardware.

Still, there are most definitely performance issues in Arkham Knight. Whether they stem from drivers, poorly optimised code, or from a shoddy PC port remains to be seen. The latter may be likely, though, particularly given Warner's track record: the PC ports of Mortal Kombat X and Injustice suffered from all manner of issues. For now, let's just hope that Warner and/or the GPU guys are working hard to get this fixed as soon as they can.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/201...is-seriously-broken-say-amd-and-nvidia-users/

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I saw the tale end of a stream for PS4 version of the game last night and saw some things that put me off the game.

Mark Hamill's Joker starts following you around everywhere as an hallucination and monologues almost without end.

Also I can't be sure if it's true since it was hard to get a straight answer during the stream but...

But Oracle is apparently shot and killed and then replaced with Lucius Fox.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Sounds fine to me, 1FPS is more photographic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom