Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate does not deserve to be lumped with the rest of Bioware's shit

roshan

Arcane
Thread title says it all. BG1 and BG2 do not deserve to be lumped in with the Bioware's later shitty games. I suggest we have a forum for the "90's Classics", basically all BIS and Troika games, including games published by BIS. This will unfortunately include Lionheart, but what can you do.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'd bet both my kidneys that whoever created this subforum did that on purpose to "troll BG fans". Because BG and RTwP ruined the RPG genre FOREVER, and all that nonsense. You'd think that 17 years of butthurt was enough, but NO.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What is good in BG1 that is bad in BG2?

I can think of

- Jaheira doesn't look like a fish
- Less obnoxious joinable NPCs
- You actually visit Baldur's Gate
- Can be used as a case study for the importance of studying algorithms

Athelas

Arcane
According to the official RPG Codex review, Dragon Age: Origins is the best RPG Bioware ever made.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Seriously? People are getting butthurt over the fact that Baldur's Gate was made by Bioware?

MilesBeyond

Cipher
We hope you enjoy your stay.

I know you were being facetious, but I actually am. There's some good conversation here once you get past the shitposting, the borderline creepy obsession with specific people, and the weird 4chan-wannabe vibe.

Don Peste

Arcane
The threads are being moved to the Interplay Entertainment 1983-2000 subforum as we speak. Also remember the discussions about the Enhanced Editions go to the Beamdog subforum.

Honestly, the entire Bioware subforum seems pretty silly. Most of the older games merit threads in GRPG for one reason or another and we have megathreads there as well for mocking The New Shit™.

DraQ

Arcane
Thread title says it all. BG1 and BG2 do not deserve to be lumped in with the Bioware's later shitty games. I suggest we have a forum for the "90's Classics", basically all BIS and Troika games, including games published by BIS. This will unfortunately include Lionheart, but what can you do.
Other Bethesda games do not deserve to be lumped with FO3 and Oblivion

Thread title says it all. Other Bethesda's games do not deserve to be lumped in with excessively shitty FO3 and Oblivion...
:M

Biowhores mad.
:troll:
Also, BG1 was already p. shit and BG2 already had cringe inducing romances so it's pretty much the archetypical BW series.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

Thread title says it all. Other Bethesda's games do not deserve to be lumped in with excessively shitty FO3 and Oblivion...

Biowhores mad.
Also, BG1 was already p. shit and BG2 already had cringe inducing romances so it's pretty much the archetypical BW series.
tell me about exploration

Biowhores mad.
you mean turds like redguard and battlespire do not deserve to be lumped with shit like FO3 or Skyrim?:troll:

anyway lumping BG2 with dragon age 2 or mass effect 3 is much bigger crime than lumping Skyrim with Oblivion. There is simply not much difference in quality between those two games:troll:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
We should totally make a board about my favorite games so I wouldn't have to visit boards faggots who like other games frequent.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let me say this in little nice metaphor: Your friend is cool guy, you know him a shitload of years. And some day he decide to sold himself to guys that will tear his brain from his head, insert chips that will make him listen to every order that they will say and preety much cut a shitload of his brain parts that make him cool guy. And he get his brain back. And their order is 'MAKE MONEY BUT MAKE US USE RESOURCES TO MAKE MORE MONEY'.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
That is not a good metaphor.

Especially since, by most accounts, Bioware did this to themselves.

What is good in BG1 that is bad in BG2?

Welcome back, Excidium! On topic, a few things:

1) Better over-arching world structure. While both games aim to portray a region of the Forgotten Realms (Sword Coast, Amn respectively), because of its freedom, BG1 actually feels like a region, a continuous slice of the world. You can go from any map to any adjacent map, barring plot restrictions. In BG2, you cannot do this, as most maps require some particular quest or plot-point to activate. So BG2 has a hub structure, where you go to the quest-hub, pick up the quests, go somewhere else, come back to the hub, etc. This really makes it feel much more linear and less of a representation of an actual region.

2) All the advantages of revolving around a low-level party. Better loot itemization, as finding a magic item actually feels special, as opposed to BG2 where you are swimming in magical things from the opening dungeon. More balanced spells, stats, abilities, etc. A world that actually feels more real, because you have peasants and bandits, as opposed to BG2 with its running into a dragon or a demi-lich or a downed spaceship every two steps.

3) This is a bit more subjective, but in my opinion, a better story. The whole mystery of being pursued by assassins while investigating the iron shortage that eventually turns into Iron Throne's political intrigue and finally Sarevok's plot and your true heritage is way more interesting than following some crazed elf around as he is dealing with his revenge issues.

DraQ

Arcane

Biowhores mad.
you mean turds like redguard and battlespire do not deserve to be lumped with shit like FO3 or Skyrim?:troll:

anyway lumping BG2 with dragon age 2 or mass effect 3 is much bigger crime than lumping Skyrim with Oblivion. There is simply not much difference in quality between those two games:troll:
dGhYd.png

I disagree.

Athelas

Arcane
It says a lot about Bioware's writing that their most original story is one that was lazily slapped onto a modding toolset.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom