Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Keeping your promise and helping a girl carry groceries instead of investigating the Juunimon or the mansion, both rather important places, is indeed a very feelz driven choice. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah, that one.

Well, you know your audience. For all of our differences, not one codexer wants to play as someone who can't keep their word to a girl.

I don't remember many other choices that were that unanimous. Only buying out scholarbro from Yuhua Halls even comes close.

So you must have expected that to happen. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Come to think of it, didn't we promise Na-chan that everything is going to be alright? And I don't mean 'him'. That came afterwards.
You stand up, still shaky on your feet. Maeda’s arms come unfolded. “Hey-“

“It’s okay, Maeda-san. Don’t worry. It’ll be fine.”

“…stop saying that.”

“Saying… what?”

“That it’ll be okay. It’s annoying. I… don’t like it.” She bites her lower lip and turn away. “Can we get a move on?”

You realize, somehow, that it’ll be alright.

It’s going to be okay.

You speak the words as if from a script that has swum up from the deepest reaches of your fading, disoriented memories, smiling weakly at Nami.

“It’s going to be okay, Na-chan.”
So... yeah. :MI told you I had trouble separating 'his' thoughts from ours.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You pick up the hurried sound of their footsteps, a pitter-patter that is almost in sync with the frenetic notes of the piano echoing through the hall. Smiling, you adjust your spectacles and lean back in the cosy armchair, closing your eyes. Right on cue, the doors to the auditorium are flung open. Here they are.

“You’ve… led us on a merry chase, Rabbit-chan,” Mori pants. The wound in his side is definitely slowing the relentless detective down. “Or perhaps we were the rabbits all along… and you were the wolf, hidden among us.” He chuckles painfully, looking up at the stage. At you. You do not give him the courtesy of a glance – you keep your eyes closed, enjoying the storm of tones conjured up by the sonata.

“Shinoseki! What have you done with Uehara?” shouts Sakimura. He charges towards you but only manages to take a single step before Mori pulls him back.

“Sakimura, no! This man is dangerous.”

“But-“

You tilt your head, open your eyes, and smile at Sakimura. It appears to have a chilling effect on the boy; he freezes up and stops in mid-sentence. Now that he is fittingly quiet, you say, “Beethoven’s Piano Sonata no. 14 in C-sharp minor ‘Quasi una fantasia’, 3rd movement. Presto agitato.”

“The 14th… the Moonlight Sonata?” murmurs Taketatsu.

“Well done. That is right, Taketatsu-san. As interpreted by Wilhelm Kempff. It is one of my favourite interpretations of the piece. Although here and there you can pick up mistakes in his playing, they are skillful ones borne of emotion – in this performance, Kempff has injected solemn ferocity, barely controlled, barely reined in… the mistakes add to the humanity of the piece. They do not detract from it. Far from it.”

“What is your point, Shinoseki?”

“I thought you of all people would understand, Inspector Mori Akio, formerly of the Metropolitan Police Department.” Your grin elicits a wince from him. With but a subtle suggestion, your intended message has been conveyed – he knows exactly what you are taunting him about. You continue, “Man – the best of man – is flawed. Perfection is cold, clinical, and inhuman. In the world that we live in, too much emphasis is placed on seeking flawlessness. That drives people into misery and despair at their inability to attain perfection. This is also something you know all too well. Have you never thought about how wonderful it would be if no one would be judged for their failures?”

“You have no room to say that, you asshole – you were practically raised by the Shinohara family to be the perfect man,” spits Mori.

“All the more reason for me to empathize with humanity’s faults… and to come to love them.”

“That’s just your Messiah complex speaking.”

You laugh. “Man is a beast of both logic and sentiment. Spirits, on the other hand… are purely emotion. Whether it is love… or hatred…” Standing up from the chair, you approach the edge of the stage.

“Stay right there!” Mori draws his gun, his hand wavering unsteadily.

You stop, a cold smile still etched upon your lips. “I do not pretend to be anyone’s saviour.”

“You twisted bastard! Stop… stop spouting off all this nonsensical bullshit and tell us where Uehara is!” Sakimura seems to have found his tongue again, though his eyes are filled with fear as he gazes upon your countenance.

Running a hand through your bangs, you shake your head. “My my, and you called me obsessed with her. What is she to you, Sakimura-kun?”

“I-I…”

“Do you love her that much? How much do you know about her past? How much do you know of her thoughts?” Your smile growing wider, you add, “How familiar are you with her body?”

“Y-you… what have you done with her?” Rage overcomes his terror – rage at the thought of Uehara being harmed.

“Sakimura-kun, control yourself!”

“Tokigawa-san, I can’t let this bastard go like that!”

“We’re not letting him go! We’ll make him lead us to Uehara!”

You burst into laughter, causing the survivors to stop and stare at you. “Oh, if only you knew,” you whisper gleefully. Turning around, you begin to walk away.

“Shinoseki! I’ll shoot!”

“Shoot, if you can,” you call over your shoulder.

The sharp report of the gun fills the hall twice. As you expected, the bullets miss their mark by far and thud into the far wall – that sort of revolver, combined with Mori’s injury, means that hitting you was always going to be nigh impossible.

“I’ll be waiting for you all at the end,” you chuckle. “Where the land of the living and the dead meet… at the precipice of the Abyss. Perhaps there you might see your daughter again, Inspector Mori. Worry not. Everything will be alright.”

“Shinoseki! Wait!” shouts Mori, but you are already gone, disappearing into the shadows.

Nevill

Arcane
It's strange.

When I thought how we would come to our senses again, back at the hospital, I always imagined us sitting behind a piano, playing a tune that we didn't know how or where we learned. :M

I do not understand this 'Seiji'. I wish I could see the world the way he does, if only for a moment.

Nevill

Arcane
That's not Shinohara Seiji, that's Shinoseki Adachi. :M
Names mean little. We are Adachi, and that man is not us. That's what matters.

Sometimes I feel like I can see his point, since we ourselves are much more about emotion than cold logic, but it is gone the next moment, drowned out by sheer madness of his actions. :?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Sakaguchi Mansion

“I have to go,” you say, heading for the door as Yukina watches on helplessly. Will you see something that you do not want to see when you open it? Tentatively, nervously, you slide the door aside. The spray of the rain begins to darken the wooden frame of the entranceway. All that lies before you, however, is rain, wind and lightning. Just as Ei said.

“Wait!” Before you can leave, Yukina calls out to you again. Turning around, you suddenly have a parasol shoved into your arms. “Take this. It’ll shelter you from the storm,” she says, her gaze directed at the floor.

“I… I couldn’t-“

“It would not do for you to fall sick from the rain now, would you?” smiles Yukina.

“I’m sorry,” you apologize lamely.

“I understand, Shinoseki-sama. You are worried about Nami-san. I am, too. She has not been here with us long, but I think of her as one of our own. So… go.”

“Are you really worried about Maeda Nami? Or are you merely concerned that losing her would mean losing a useful resource, perhaps even a way out of this maze?”

Ignoring Ei’s provocations, you give Yukina a nod. “Thank you, Maeda-san, and… don’t worry. I’ll be back.”

“I’ll be waiting.”

You head out into the stormy night, the parasol raised up as a shield against the lashing wind and stinging rain. It barely covers you, and you tighten your grip on the wooden handle so that it would not be blown away into the clouds. If all of this is false – an illusionary world – it is a very realistic one. With every step you make there is a splash. The ground has turned to mud beneath your sandals. As you travel down the path, towards the dark, towering silhouette of the mansion, you hear a faint, hoarse whisper from behind. You look over your shoulder, at Yukina’s house.

Lightning flashes, illuminating, for just a second, a woman in a white kimono standing outside the window, knocking at the boards patiently. Her visage fades away just as the thunder rolls around. “Worried, Acchan? Maybe you should have stayed after all?” teases Ei.

You shake your head. “Let’s… let’s just move on.” It would not do to second-guess your decision at this point. The Sakaguchi mansion lies just ahead: the place where it all began… probably. You have to focus on the task before you. To find Maeda. To find a way out of here. To save the future, as you told Yukina. It was just a story that you spun in the spur of the moment, but perhaps it can mean something more.

At last, you reach the Sakaguchi mansion. The large, cast-iron gates – a black, pointy edifice if you have ever seen one – is chained shut: no matter how much you tug at them, they were not likely to open. There should be a lock holding it shut from the other side, but you are unable to reach it from the outside. It looks like you will have to climb over it. Apologizing to Yukina in your heart, you let go of the parasol. It is immediately swept away by the gale, disappearing into the darkness far above you. Gripping the ornate decorations carved into the gate, you begin to climb. The rain gets into your eyes and obscures your vision, the bars of the gate are slippery and wet, and the clothes you borrowed are too tight for you to move as freely as you would like. What would be an easy climb becomes a rather strenuous endeavour.

As you haul yourself over the top of the gate, your foot slips.

A vision of you impaling yourself on the spikes crowning the gate flashes through your head. Luckily, your grip is strong enough to keep you upright, and you narrowly avoid dying an unseemly death on the gates.

Your arms trembling, you carefully regain your balance and find better footing, before dropping down inside the compound. Ei floats down to your side with not a care in the world, as dry and cheerful as you are wet and miserable. Glowering at her jealously, you ask, “So, where is Maeda-san?”

“She locked herself in on the second floor when Sakaguchi started getting violent,” says Ei, pointing up at the mansion. “Are you going to climb up the walls, or use the main entrance? Challenging your climbing skills further seems like a good idea!”

You have zero desire to stay out here in the freezing rain any longer. Stifling back a grumble, you trudge towards the main door. It has been left slightly ajar, and you can see the faint glow of flickering candlelight within.

You hear them before you see them.

Low, threatening growls that raise the hackles on your neck. Shining, yellow eyes in the dark.

“Oh yeah, Acchan. They have dogs, by the way. Really big ones.”

“Perhaps… you should have said that earlier,” you whisper.

A pack of seven dogs slink out from the shadows, growling at you. Though their fur is matted from the rain, they appear to be a healthy, well-fed pack: these are no stray mongrels. You grow very, very still. That they have not yet run for shelter from the storm is a curious thing, and they seem to be giving the mansion itself a wide berth. The dogs seem to be wary, afraid, and angry all at the same time, and the pouring rain is not improving their mood any. You wonder… among your myriad skills, is dog-taming one of them?

A. You attempt to subdue the dogs by physical force. There are seven of them and only one of you, but that only means it will be a good warm-up for your body. Getting a few bites or scratches is nothing serious compared to what you have faced… or will face.

B. You attempt to stare the dogs down, affecting a dominant presence. You have heard stories of people scaring off animals through intimidation. Perhaps you could do the same.

C. You attempt to befriend the dogs. Taming is a two-way relationship of trust. A diplomatic approach might serve you better here compared to a more domineering interaction.

D. You attempt to run past the dogs: they don’t seem to like getting close to the mansion. As long as you can reach the main door and enter the house, they should back off.

E. You stand very still, hoping they will lose interest and back off.

F. You try to walk past the dogs calmly. They might not chase you if you pretend not to notice them. Probably.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
“I understand, Shinoseki-sama. You are worried about Nami-san. I am, too. She has not been here with us long, but I think of her as one of our own. So… go.”
Maybe I am reading too much into this, maybe is just affinity between people of the same family but seems that there is another faction besides the three we know, Yukina tends too much to use pluralis majestatis.
As you haul yourself over the top of the gate, your foot slips.
Cliffhanger.
Climbing doesn't seem fitting for a rabbit after all.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Had to post whatever I wrote first to save it, since I was on another computer. It's complete now. Welcome to the Spencer Sakaguchi Mansion.

latest

Nevill

Arcane
Maybe I am reading too much into this, maybe is just affinity between people of the same family but seems that there is another faction besides the three we know, Yukina tends too much to use pluralis majestatis.
I doubt she means her family. She either means the village... or the bubbleworld at large.

Either way, Nami does not belong with them.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Oh look! The grue is in the form of a pack of dogs!

Well, when faced by a grue, running is not an option. Let's establish ourself as the alpha male.

B>A

Nevill

Arcane
Whoa. Well, dog diplomacy is but one step removed from rat one, and we are about as domineering as a rabbit... though sometimes we surprise people.

We might not have time for waiting, though it could be an option, depending on how long it takes for them to lose interest. Fighting or fleeing are the choices I find more reliable. And I am not sure which is worse, to get into a scrape with 7 canines, or to force ourselves to enter the mansion from the main entrance without proper preparations.

D>A. And hope our 'neighbour' exercised enough.

On the next episode, 'The flight of the rabbit'.
- And the hare has to outrun the dogs.
- So, what if it doesn't?
- Well, the big rabbit gets fucked, doesn't it?
- Proper fucked?
- Yeah, Tommy. Before zee Germans get there.
It appears zee Germans won't arrive for the next 30 years, so our odds look good. :M

Edit: On second thought, our clothes are tight and wet, restricting our movements. Running might not be such a good idea.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
We can ask Treave for some extra option:
F)In a calm and collected manner you walk to the door like a boss without even giving as much as a glance to the fleabags, they are beneath your notice.

G)Ask Ei to chase them away.

Nevill

Arcane
:hmmm:
I cheated.

Slow down. Slow your run to a walk. "The prey instinct dogs have is triggered by fast movement," says Peak. "Slowing down to a walk makes you seem less interesting."

Turn and walk in the opposite direction of the dog, but keep watching the dog out of the corner of your eye.

Don't stare. "Staring a dog in the eyes can be interpreted as a threat by some dogs," warns Peak. "Keep the dog in sight, but avert direct eye contact."

Be boring. If the dog approaches you, stop and stand very still. The more boring you are, the less you'll interest the dog.

Don't cower, as this may activate a prey response. Don't adopt a combative position either, this may instigate a fight. Instead, stay relaxed and use an upright posture to give a sense of authority.

Use a deep, firm voice to convey a sense of calm, not a high-pitched, shrieking voice. The latter broadcasts fear and may activate the dog's fight instinct.
Don't attack. Don't run. Don't stare. Be boring. Gotcha.

Adachi can do boring. E.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Edit: On second thought, our clothes are tight and wet, restricting our movements. Running might not be such a good idea.
Fighting instead will be even worse.
The only real options are walking or running towards the mansion, walking is safer.
When facing dogs never run and avoid eye contact.
Here is my take on the options:
A)Liam Niisan option, except that in all the other occasions we had some form of sensation that told us that the optiln was viable, the revolver feeling familiar in our hand, contemplating the creative use of some object, a peculiar knowledge etc.
This is not the case, we can always hope that such abilities surfaces on their own if we are in danger, but this would be true in the other cases as well.

B)Big no no, it works only in anime and manga, unless we are born under the sign of Hokuto this won't work.

C)Petting them is outright stupid, they are restless.

D)Running is a bad idea but this is an emergency.

E)We don't have the luxury to wait.

F)The best option in my opinion, we don't provoke their reaction and at the same time proceed to save Nami hopefully.

Nevill

Arcane
E)We don't have the luxury to wait.
That is my concern as well, but does it take all that long for a dog to lose interest?

They will approach us, sniff us... and then what is going to happen?

Perhaps it is worth asking treave what the plan is. If they don't back off, are we going to continue standing still? For how long?

F)The best option in my opinion, we don't provoke their reaction and at the same time proceed to save Nami hopefully.
Usually you could move, if you do it slowly... just not towards the pack. Otherwise you are encrouching on their space, theatening them. If we could back out, give them a wide berth, and reach the mansion that way, perhaps it would be worth it.

Huh, all sources say pretty much the same thing.
  • Resist the impulse to scream and run away.
  • Remain motionless, hands at your sides, and avoid eye contact with the dog.
  • Once the dog loses interest in you, slowly back away until he is out of sight.
  • If the dog does attack, "feed" him your jacket, purse, bicycle or anything that you can put between yourself and the dog.
  • If you fall or are knocked to the ground, curl into a ball with your hands over your ears and remain motionless. Try not to scream or roll around.
* Don’t look a dog straight in the eye. This is provocative.
* Do not run away from or past a dog. This can make them aggressive and want to chase you.
* Never go up to a dog you don’t know and try to get friendly, especially if the dog is behind a fence, tethered or in a parked car.
* If an unfamiliar dog comes up to you, stand still. Most of the time, the dog will sniff you and then walk away.
* Never bother a dog that is eating or sleeping. And stay away from a mother tending to her litter.
*If you're threatened by a dog, don’t yell. Respond calmly. In a commanding voice, tell the dog to go away. Try to stay still until the dog leaves, or back away slowly.
* If you are attacked, give the dog an object, such as a jacket or tote to bite. If you are knocked down, roll yourself into a ball and lie still. Cover your head and face with your hands.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Usually you could move, if you do it slowly... just not towards the pack. Otherwise you are encrouching on their space, theatening them.
We can take a lttle detour but the goal is the door, we are encroaching their territory no matter what, the assumption is that whatever is happening in the mansion will scare them enough to not enter it again.

Nevill

Arcane
We can take a lttle detour but the goal is the door, we are encroaching their territory no matter what, the assumption is that whatever is happening in the mansion will scare them enough to not enter it again.
The mansion is not their territory. And if I understood it right, they seem to stay away from the mansion itself, not just the door or whatever is behind it. If we can reach a wall they might not dare approach, especially if they aren't chasing us around.

Besides, the door might not be the only point of entry. There might be a window open somewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom