Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is BT4's funding level a disappointment for inXile?

roshan

Arcane
Has anyone here brought up the fact that the kickstarter page is a complete mess? There's a ton of nonsense there about Facebook likes, You Tube, Twitter, Tumblr and all sorts of shit. Something about a Red Boots DLC that is not at all explained. A dungeon that is somehow progressing? The entire page could use a lot of sorting, clarifying and editing.

Morkar Left

Has anyone here brought up the fact that the kickstarter page is a complete mess? There's a ton of nonsense there about Facebook likes, You Tube, Twitter, Tumblr and all sorts of shit. Something about a Red Boots DLC that is not at all explained. A dungeon that is somehow progressing? The entire page could use a lot of sorting, clarifying and editing.

That's actually a reason I haven't pledged more. It's all a bit confusing if you don't want to spent your time with reading everything, social media included.

roshan

Arcane
People are giving money away anyways so why would they care
So that they could raise more money? Aside from the lack of focus and clarity, it reflects very poorly on the game that the information on the Kickstarter page is so vague and instead most of it is just marketing, rewards and a lot of social media nonsense. Even the stretch goals such as celebrities designing dungeons is just a marketing gimmick.

They could do a lot better by focusing the information and stretch goals on features, lore and systems instead of all that crap. This is really a total fuckup considering that the highly successful Torment kickstarter had a shitload of concrete information on lore, story, systems, companions, they emphasized all the correct aspects that would actually make someone interested in backing the project.

Atchodas

Augur
it reflects very poorly on the game that the information on the Kickstarter page is so vague

it will be easier this way to backpedal out of shitstorm afther they release crappy game

Torment is different story tho you cant release crappy PST sequel which was funded by KS and hope to live another day in the industry

roshan

Arcane
it reflects very poorly on the game that the information on the Kickstarter page is so vague

it will be easier this way to backpedal out of shitstorm afther they release crappy game

This is what I thought as well, they are trying to commit to as little as possible.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Aside from the lack of focus and clarity, it reflects very poorly on the game that the information on the Kickstarter page is so vague

Actually the fuzzy writing totally reflects, because they only have a fuzzy vision of the game (which was admitted in a video). But the fact they have no idea about combat and encounters, is simply a joke. A clear vision would have certainly helped the pledges. Maybe not too much (given it's still niche), but definitely a bit. I also returned to a basic pledge amount (which was previously double) since nothing interesting came in the updates (for 25 days now). Somewhen the oven is out, and it loses its appeal. Now I'm not even sure if I ever up my pledge again.

Why is it, that every time someone announces a blobber, they crap around??? (Brenda Kickstarter, Guido Kickstarter, and now this)

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer

It is a strange clash, isn't it? Pandering to a sort of older generation while simultaneously pimping YouTube views, likes, retweets and I don't know what else. Doesn't help that most aren't progressing which amusingly makes a pointless addition to the page actually look... well, kinda bad. (Not that I give a shit.)

As far as funding goes, I dunno. Devs being so averse to showing gameplay bugs the hell out of me. I don't really understand pledging to anything without even knowing what the fuck it is. That's just bizarre to me. Then again, 90% of the stuff I see on Kickstarter just doesn't make any sense to me so what the fuck do I know. Maybe I'm the crazy one.

roshan

Arcane
Doesn't help that most aren't progressing which amusingly makes a pointless addition to the page actually look... well, kinda bad. (Not that I give a shit.)

Yeah, now that you mention it, it is rather amusing. But before that it just seemed really pitiful.

roshan

Arcane
It's also very retarded that most of the pitch video was Fargo railing against paid DLC, and then right below that there is an announcement of a DLC that's only free for certain tiers of backers or in other words paid DLC for everyone else. Very ironic to poke fun at hats and then announce boots.

Of course there's probably a reference to the old games I'm missing, but it's still really weird and ironic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: Whoosh.

I'm glad I made this thread so the main one can remain bitch-free.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's also very retarded that most of the pitch video was Fargo railing against paid DLC, and then right below that there is an announcement of a DLC that's only free for certain tiers of backers or in other words paid DLC for everyone else. Very ironic to poke fun at hats and then announce boots.

Of course there's probably a reference to the old games I'm missing, but it's still really weird and ironic.
It's a reference to a joke going back to the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter about paid DLC that is overpriced and adds nothing to the game. It's even shown in the game's main menu when you first start it up. This is shown in a link in the update where we announced it:

Cw0zbAC.jpg

The DLC will be free for all backers and I wouldn't be surprised if it's also free for everyone in the end too. Either way, it's a joke item.

There's a ton of nonsense there about Facebook likes, You Tube, Twitter, Tumblr and all sorts of shit. Something about a Red Boots DLC that is not at all explained. A dungeon that is somehow progressing? The entire page could use a lot of sorting, clarifying and editing.
The social media/community achievements unlock dungeon rooms. Get to the treasure in the dungeon and we unlock a new bonus reward for everyone. I don't think it's that hard to understand?
Our community unlocked something like the first 8 achievements in 3 days so I'm not sure why you say it's not progressing. It has slowed down but only because the initial lower achievements have already all been obtained. We still get steady progress on all the achievements, but it's understandable that the initial surge has slowed down.

As for reorganizing the page: Kickstarter actually has pretty strict campaign text limits. A lot of stuff we have to link to elsewhere, show in images, etc. There used to be more text but I think some was cut down to make room for other stuff. That said, I added some text on the Kickstarter page to clarify this as it seems we have some room.

As far as funding goes, I dunno. Devs being so averse to showing gameplay bugs the hell out of me. I don't really understand pledging to anything without even knowing what the fuck it is. That's just bizarre to me. Then again, 90% of the stuff I see on Kickstarter just doesn't make any sense to me so what the fuck do I know. Maybe I'm the crazy one.
When Wasteland 2's campaign launched we didn't have any sort of in-engine or gameplay demo. We had this in September 2012:

By contrast, we had this in-engine video from The Bard's Tale IV on day 2, also featured directly as the first thing you see on the Kickstarter campaign page:

Those are real art assets running in Unreal Engine 4. That's our target look for the game and it likely won't be that far off, since as a blobber we aren't held by the same limits as say, more typical open world style RPGs (I believe Brian touched on this in his recent Matt Chat interview).

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Those are real art assets running in Unreal Engine 4. That's our target look for the game and it likely won't be that far off, since as a blobber we aren't held by the same limits as say, more typical open world style RPGs (I believe Brian touched on this in his recent Matt Chat interview).

Can you confirm this game will look this good and work good on Nvidia 960 cards? :)

Or tell us the specs of the machine you made this video on and FPS you were getting on it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Ha, c'mon sea. A tech demo means exactly fuck all. I've been seeing tech demos since nineteen-dickety-five and not a single one of them has looked like the final product. I'm looking forward to the game but don't be trying to pull one over on me.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
So what are our predictions? Is it still likely we will get to 2mil? Cause it doesn't really look like it to me with only three days to go. MCA stretchgoal in danger?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Doesn't look to me like they're reaching the MCA goal. Colin, maybe.

Still, I wonder if Fargo's gonna pay MCA out of his own pocket to get him on the team anyway. Stretch goals are silly.

Atchodas

Augur
MCA stretch goal is in a grey zone between clever scam and complete racketeering of old school gamers . Will be hilarious if stretch goal fails and MCA still gets hired .
After "amazing" release of WL2 , obviously people wont come throwing millions , inXile just seems fishy in the end . 3 Kickstarters , 1 bad release :/ , should invest your own money maybe then you would atleast try to fix the bugs , and you wouldnt be telling people to wait 1 Month ( no jokes , sea( or was it another mod in inXile forums , kinda remember it being him tho ) told people to wait one fukin month for new patch that fixes endless combat in Canyon Of Titan , this prevented you from progressing trough the game as its crucial part of the story and you cant skip this in any way , his other suggestion was to load old save games from old patches that are actually after the Canyon LOL so you couldnt start a new game for a MONTH ) to be able to play the game . Funny part is that this was introduced with patch 3 , in patch 1 and 2 Canyon worked just fine ! GG.
Glad that Torment's name was enough for this company to get it funded , clearly bards tale isnt because thats all you got , the name , right ?

That's our target look for the game and it likely won't be that far off
this will be remembered ,
i guess we will see at release if you deliver,
"wont be that far off" part seems like preparing the tracks for backpedal tho

Last edited:
Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Yeah, I'm disappointed. Upped my pledge in the end but it seems like the total is barely moving. Fargo blames difficulty in getting the word out, which I sense is right. Still hope they get Colin and MCA and make a great game.

All these "ow, the edge", "possibly relarted" and the old roshan imbecile from the PoE threads can go die in a fire.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well it hasn't exactly been a riveting campaign. Looks like it might get 1.5M but that's about it.

A little bit less than I was expecting too.

Apexeon

Arcane
They did awesome for a Blobber with a 1.25 million target (Unreal 4 art assets cost a lot).
A Indie blobber team would be lucky to pull in 50K to 100K.

Only Brain could pull this off and I am looking forward to playing it on the Xbone after the PC alpha testers iron out the bugs.

Last edited:

joelofdeath

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Still waiting for the 48 hour rush. Could still have a great last 2 days. Every other kickstarter has, what makes this one different?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
As expected it doesn't spike, but fart out...

Interactive voice-over: PFFfffffffsssssschhhhhhh

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Still waiting for the 48 hour rush. Could still have a great last 2 days. Every other kickstarter has, what makes this one different?
All the day 1 and day 2 bonuses
It is a bit detrimental. I pledged 20 dollars after the early incentives were announced, but then I removed my pledge because so much of the game's design was still in the air. Pledging again would feel like a step back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom