Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
z8HRYoO.jpg

?

http://www.baldursgate.com/
It's a countdown for a twitch stream. Probably gameplay reveal

waywardOne

Arcane
Hopefully this is the last thing we ever hear from Beamdog. People raged at Steam paid mods, but no one cares that the EEs are essentially $20 mods where the actual modders didn't get paid.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I think it will take a law suit to bring them down.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It can easily be explained: Quayle rescued Aerie long ago and is on a trip for some reason when he meets the party in BG1. After the events he returns to the circus and Aerie.

But Quayle was kind of a jerk in BG1. Wasn't it implied in BG2 that he'd undergone some kind of character development and become nice?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
It can easily be explained: Quayle rescued Aerie long ago and is on a trip for some reason when he meets the party in BG1. After the events he returns to the circus and Aerie.

But Quayle was kind of a jerk in BG1. Wasn't it implied in BG2 that he'd undergone some kind of character development and become nice?

Yes, he claims in BG2 that Aerie made him a better person, but it isn’t too hard to imagine that it happened years ago and he can still be a jerk at times—after all, each of his incarnations in both games use the same offensive soundset. Also it’s not like any of the BG1 NPC is well-developed to begin with.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Yes, he claims in BG2 that Aerie made him a better person, but it isn’t too hard to imagine that it happened years ago and he can still be a jerk at times—after all, each of his incarnations in both games use the same offensive soundset. Also it’s not like any of the BG1 NPC is well-developed to begin with.

I would have thought that having to listen to Aerie's whining 24/7 would make someone even more of a jerk.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Bah, she mostly whines if you romance her, and then it reaches a point when she gets a grip on herself and stop whining. Outside of that sort of relationship, she is the classic naive girl discovering the big world. I read far more cringe-inducing whining from GD regulars than from her.

Tigranes

Arcane
The moment she utters a single syllable with that voice acting, you know you must kill her.

pippin

At least you could tell her to cut the crap, ditch her and hire based Edwin.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
The moment she utters a single syllable with that voice acting, you know you must kill her.

Hell no! With her ridiculous number of spells, she rocks! It’s kinda fun that she was given such a weak and vulnerable personality when she can create so much destruction.

Keldryn

Arcane
Hopefully this is the last thing we ever hear from Beamdog. People raged at Steam paid mods, but no one cares that the EEs are essentially $20 mods where the actual modders didn't get paid.

Doesn't Beamdog now employ several of the longtime BG modders?

The fact that I can play the EEs on a tablet makes it all worthwhile. I'll gladly pay for a Torment EE.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Bah, she mostly whines if you romance her, and then it reaches a point when she gets a grip on herself and stop whining. Outside of that sort of relationship, she is the classic naive girl discovering the big world. I read far more cringe-inducing whining from GD regulars than from her.
BS. Her whining even makes into her character ending in TOB:
Aerie and <CHARNAME> would prove inseparable, their adventuring careers
becoming secondary to the raising of their son, and eventually a daughter as
well. Their later years would hold one last great trek, however, as Aerie
still suffered a sadness from her time enslaved and the loss of her wings.
Together she and <CHARNAME> sought the Avariel of Faenya-Dail, the winged
elves she was stolen from so long ago.
They discovered not only her people,
but loving parents that had spent years searching for their lost child. With
no more mystery or confusion to cloud their lives, it was there, among the
clouds, that Aerie and <CHARNAME> would finally be married. Their union, it
is said, was blessed by visions of Aerdrie Faenya and Baervan Wildwanderer
both.
My favorite character is Jaheira. I was very amused by her not even trying to resurrect Kahlid and then imminently going after the player romantically.

"Oh, poor, Kahild!"
"Maybe we should try to ressurect him?"
"Uh, no, no, that is suddendly not natural or something...wanna make out?"

And Viconia for her constant insulting of Aerie.

edit:
to go slightly closer to the topic:
If they also change BG2:EE a bit to also take that story into account somehow, yes.

Otherwise, it must be really unimportant, which would totally go against the cheesy epicness of BG.
The beginning of BG2:EE needs to be changed period. As it stands, the player is locked in as having had Jaheria, Minsc, Kahlid and Dynaheir as companions - for no reason.

The opening where Jaheira recaps "our adventures" annoyed me to no end. I mean, would it have been so hard to have had Jahiera and Kahlid have followed the player on harper business and got captured for their trouble? And Minsc could be shoehorned in in a similar way too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Viconia is maybe the best companion i ever had in a game and the only biowarian relationship i ever gave some kind of a fuck about, even though she left my ass in the middle of fucking underdark. Well maybe it was also due to the fact that i was 14 back then and going through puperty and a fake relationship to a computer npc was better than none at all :lol:

Its the only contender from Baldurs Gate 2 that i would place among the ones of PST.

People say Baldurs Gate 2 has mediocre writing and i really dont get it. Yes the writing is somehow cheesy sometimes but all in all this game has so many genuinely great moments (and Viconia being one of them) that i cant help but look past its shortcomings.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

All of the BG2 romances are essentially the same though:

1. Romance meets PC
  2. Romance through out flirty dialog to test PC and begin romance
  3. Romance spews backstory
  4. Romance encounters Romance Enemy
  5. Romance sleeps with PC at some point
  6. Romance leaves because blahblah
  7. PC finds romance or romance comes back
  8. Romance enemy defeated or delt with somehow
  9. Romance becomes vampire and is cured by PC
  10. Romance is killed by PC during the hell trials because stat bonuses>stat losses.
The same every time.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I never did any romance in bg2. I don't even really remember any bring offered, probably because I only ever took Viconia or Imoen (after Spellhold) with me. Every other female npc was useless or irritating. Except mazzy but she is still worse thsn Minsc, evil dwarf or undead hunter.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Probably the biggest issue I have with the romance stuff is that the corresponding plots take forever to fully play out (when measured against how long it takes to complete the actual game).

waywardOne

Arcane
Doesn't Beamdog now employ several of the longtime BG modders?
Make a statement so you can be held accountable, not some question that may or may not support your unknown premise. Citations needed. The format should be something like "Beamdog hired X and Y. Here is the LINK to the announcement."

The fact that I can play the EEs on a tablet makes it all worthwhile. I'll gladly pay for a Torment EE.
Good for you, and completely irrelevant to anything I said. If you want to shill for a product, you don't need to quote me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's well-known that Beamdog now employs a bunch of IE modders. If you know their real names, see here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/linux/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition/credits

Considering the amount of time they're spending on this, with a prepared engine, and all the capabilities and experience gathered over 15 years of IE modding...this game could have some pretty damn interesting combats. The only real limitation is in how difficult they're willing to make them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's well-known that Beamdog now employs a bunch of IE modders. If you know their real names, see here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/linux/icewind-dale-enhanced-edition/credits

Considering the amount of time they're spending on this, with a prepared engine, and all the capabilities and experience gathered over 15 years of IE modding...this game could have some pretty damn interesting combats. The only real limitation is how difficult they're willing to make it.
I BG2EE they added a Thay Enclave into Athkatla Marketplace. It is connected with Neera quest. I got in there and had awesome battles. If more of this is what we can expect in Adventure Y, that will be awesome. The mages in there actually were dangerous without SCS and their Thayan Fighter bodyguards knew to hit your squishies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom