Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of the Storm

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It's dumbed down, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I (and other people who want to play games with a high skill ceiling) think it's a bad thing, but some people don't.

Differences are okay.

Last hitting and individual xp is not a high skill ceiling. Stop saying that shit, please.

HOTS have just as high skill ceiling as dota 2 and others.

NOTHING is dumbed down in this game. You just need to learn to play, and understand the game.

I bet you played 5-10 games, and think you understand everything about this game already... :D

Go watch some guides and educate yourself first.

abija

Prophet
How exactly is the same skill ceiling as in dota 2 when turn rate isn't a factor, you can control a lot less units and you have (atm at least) very limited control over your team mates in combat and a lot less heroes to know?
Compare pudge with sitches, chen/enchantress with azmodan or meepo with vikings. Compare the insanity of force staff/glimmer cape teamfights with the stupid 5v5 poke balls of death in HotS.

Let me guess, everything you suck at is not skill...

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Ahh yes, that old big fallacy:

If you hate something, YOU MUST BE BAD AT IT RIGHT???!?!?!?! RIGHT??? ---> DERP <---

No, hating something can be perfectly valid, while still being quite understandable of the mechanics and use hereof.

I am probably a better dota 2 player than you, because .. well, I'm just a better player than you in general.

Anyway..

Turn rate is a skill factor now? LOL wat. Turn rate is a fucking annoyance beyond belief, thank fucking god they fixed that. One of the worst things about dota 2, is the fucking turn rate. Makes me wanna gouge my eyes out, because everything feels so sluggish and slow and UNREPONSIVE.

Control less units? How do you mean? Lot of heroes have units to control as abilities. Sure, there's no dominator helm, so what. You can control alot of objectives on the maps.

Limited control over your team mates? What the fuck does that even mean?

Less heroes, yeah sure. The game is 1 month old, dota is like 15 years old. So what. More will come.

Compare items vs talents. Lots of talents make use of uinique gameplay. INSANITY.

5v5 deathballs? DOTa 2 has those too, in abundance.

abija

Prophet

If you hate something, YOU MUST BE BAD AT IT RIGHT???!?!?!?! RIGHT??? ---> DERP <---

Turn rate is a skill factor now? LOL wat. Turn rate is a fucking annoyance beyond belief, thank fucking god they fixed that. One of the worst things about dota 2, is the fucking turn rate. Makes me wanna gouge my eyes out, because everything feels so sluggish and slow and UNREPONSIVE.

:D

Control less units? How do you mean? Lot of heroes have units to control as abilities. Sure, there's no dominator helm, so what. You can control alot of objectives on the maps.
I meant you controll less units, you control only your hero, can't even move your summons for body block scenarios for example. Even the vikings have a wierd implementation because you don't have control groups so you can only control 1 or all 3 of them.

No way to get a team mate out of a bad situation. Like force staff or various abilities. Basically most of the time team coordination means chaining skills.

Less heroes, yeah sure. The game is 1 month old, dota is like 15 years old. So what. More will come.
Skill ceiling is still lower until they come.

Compare items vs talents. Lots of talents make use of uinique gameplay. INSANITY.
Where did I compare items with talents? I compared the specific gameplay, not the way it's implemented.

Dota 2 has something else too though. In HotS you don't really have options to maneuver against them, they even nerfed abathur's backdooring.
Also my point was about how team fights are, stupid poking 90% of the game with whoever fucked a bit being able to disengage.
http://i.imgur.com/5iGBE5Y.jpg pro game, they fight most of the time and after 17 mins the only result is some LV deaths. Hell, even the positioning shown in that pic is a perfect example of HotS teamfight and all the skill they got rid of.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

:D

I meant you controll less units, you control only your hero, can't even move your summons for body block scenarios for example. Even the vikings have a wierd implementation because you don't have control groups so you can only control 1 or all 3 of them.

No way to get a team mate out of a bad situation. Like force staff or various abilities. Basically most of the time team coordination means chaining skills.

Skill ceiling is still lower until they come.

Where did I compare items with talents? I compared the specific gameplay, not the way it's implemented.

Dota 2 has something else too though. In HotS you don't really have options to maneuver against them, they even nerfed abathur's backdooring.
Also my point was about how team fights are, stupid poking 90% of the game with whoever fucked a bit being able to disengage.
http://i.imgur.com/5iGBE5Y.jpg pro game, they fight most of the time and after 17 mins the only result is some LV deaths. Hell, even the positioning shown in that pic is a perfect example of HotS teamfight and all the skill they got rid of.

Are you really retarded? Like really?

THERE ARE LOTS OF heroes whom can control their minions and others. Let's list them, shall we?

Abathur, Kerrigan, Azmodan, Jaina, Nazeebo, Zagara, Tychus, Sylvannas, Malfurion, Chen, Gazlowe, Nova,

There are control groups for controlling all 3 vikings. Are you dumb as shit? Wtf is rwong with u. You are just mentally retarded in your shit brain. gg

No way to get your teammates out of danger? LOL. Now I'm 100 % certain you're a fucking faggy troll. Get out of this thread please.

There are numerous skills and talents that all help your team in danger. I won't list them here, because you're too dumb to figure it out.

Teamfights are often 2v2 3v3s etc because of the way map objectives are made. It's not just 5v5 deathball you moron

You are 100 % confirmed Quick match shit tier player..

I will stop reading your posts now :)

KK1001

Arbiter
Every day that goes by I learn to appreciate what Brenner does and how he does it more and more.

abija

Prophet

THERE ARE LOTS OF heroes whom can control their minions and others. Let's list them, shall we?

Abathur, Kerrigan, Azmodan, Jaina, Nazeebo, Zagara, Tychus, Sylvannas, Malfurion, Chen, Gazlowe, Nova,

There are control groups for controlling all 3 vikings. Are you dumb as shit? Wtf is rwong with u. You are just mentally retarded in your shit brain. gg

No way to get your teammates out of danger? LOL. Now I'm 100 % certain you're a fucking faggy troll. Get out of this thread please.

There are numerous skills and talents that all help your team in danger. I won't list them here, because you're too dumb to figure it out.

Teamfights are often 2v2 3v3s etc because of the way map objectives are made. It's not just 5v5 deathball you moron

I said you can't MOVE them, you tell them what to attack (if even), that's all. Big fucking difference when you talk about skill ceiling in a game with body blocking. Hell, even look at abathur, plenty of opportunities to let you fully control more than a unit yet they made sure that's not the case. Gotta keep that skill ceiling low, right?

Did you even read what I said about vikings, or when you get past 5-6 words you lose focus? You can't create control groups, you can only select the premade ones. You can't control only 2 vikings at the same time when all 3 are alive.

You won't list the skills and abilities because they're mostly shielding or healing. Nothing even close to what I mentioned, you know, gameplay changing stuff. Which in turn makes it very risky to get caught away from your team without some super escape ability, turning fights into dancing and poking.

And the pro players you praised so much sure seem to fight 5v5 a lot. Not that I watched too much hots but I don't remember a single game that didn't turn into blob vs blob mid-late game.

I know you are some pro 10.000 games hots grand platinum master, so maybe bring some actual arguments why you consider Hots and Dota 2 have the same skill ceiling? Atm you're just trying to prove I don't know hots when I never said I'm some expert, and even failing at that too.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

I said you can't MOVE them, you tell them what to attack (if even), that's all. Big fucking difference when you talk about skill ceiling in a game with body blocking. Hell, even look at abathur, plenty of opportunities to let you fully control more than a unit yet they made sure that's not the case. Gotta keep that skill ceiling low, right?

Did you even read what I said about vikings, or when you get past 5-6 words you lose focus? You can't create control groups, you can only select the premade ones. You can't control only 2 vikings at the same time when all 3 are alive.

You won't list the skills and abilities because they're mostly shielding or healing. Nothing even close to what I mentioned, you know, gameplay changing stuff. Which in turn makes it very risky to get caught away from your team without some super escape ability, turning fights into dancing and poking.

And the pro players you praised so much sure seem to fight 5v5 a lot. Not that I watched too much hots but I don't remember a single game that didn't turn into blob vs blob mid-late game.

I know you are some pro 10.000 games hots grand platinum master, so maybe bring some actual arguments why you consider Hots and Dota 2 have the same skill ceiling? Atm you're just trying to prove I don't know hots when I never said I'm some expert, and even failing at that too.

You're claming to be the MOBA EXPERT on dota 2 and HOTS, dumbfuck.

Like I said, you probably played 10 games of HOTS, and now you think it's smart to come here and rant your bullshit off because you think dota 2 is some ELITEEEZ game with 'MUH SKILL CIEERLERERLINGGGGG Y

You're just a retarded faggot. You shouldn't talk about things of which you know nothing. Let alone HOTS. So go back to your DOTA 2 THREAD. You are unwanted here.

abija

Prophet
Then it should be easy to show I'm wrong instead of acting like a frustrated monkey.
You said skill ceiling is the same, now prove it instead of throwing feces.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Then it should be easy to show I'm wrong instead of acting like a frustrated monkey.
You said skill ceiling is the same, now prove it instead of throwing feces.

YOU prove it. You're the one making claims that dota 2 is a better game than HOTS.

I am defending HOTS from your retarded arguments and rants.

Big difference

You have not provided enough evidence and sound arguments for this. I am awaiting thourough explanations and comparisons.

But I won't get a comparison.. why?

Because you don't know much about HOTS, you haven't played it, and you just hate on it without reason.

You are just a DOTA 2 fanboy and a shill :)

abija

Prophet
But I won't get a comparison.. why?

Because you don't know much about HOTS, you haven't played it, and you just hate on it without reason.

I already gave them:
- Meepo vs LV (highest skill ceiling in hots atm): meepo has more units to control, punished heavier on death - so higher skill ceiling
- summoned units: can be fully controlled in Dota 2, can only be sent to a target in Hots - much higher skill ceiling
- even a skill based comparison, pudge hook vs stitches hook: pudge can target ally creeps (so is harder to land), has both offensive and defensive functionality - again higher skill ceiling

I won't bring up positioning in fights because I'm obviously too shit at HotS to understand the intricacies of grouping up as 5 with tanks in front.

Bring it on, show us the high skill ceiling parts of HotS that make up for all the stuff that was removed.

KK1001

Arbiter
There is more involved skill involved at every stage of the game, objectively:

1. Laning in Dota 2 involves spacing, harassment, fighting for denies and last hits, and lane control, through pulling or other means. You have choices. To just give one example, the decision whether to keep the creep equilibrium close to your tower (and therefore keep your carry safe) by pulling and killing off the creep wave in jungle, or to double up on your wave by pulling, killing the camp, and move the creep equilibrium forward. This is done in order to take the tower and map control, which is of crucial importance in getting an advantage in the mid and late game. You do not have similar choices in HOTS. Laning is abandoned pretty quickly, towers are weak and run out of ammo, and getting down towers/bases versus farming a particular hero is not a possible choice.

2. Map control. In HOTS map control is only importance insofar as it usually means that you're far ahead in XP and can access objectives without being seen by enemy creeps. In Dota 2, map control enables you to farm more safely and usually faster, respond to fights across the battlefield, ward and de-ward, and take Roshan more safely. Moreover, map control gives you more flexibility in using smoke. If you are pushed into your base and the enemy team doesn't see you farming your limited resources, it is fairly obvious that you've smoked.

3. Items. There are a ton of different items that can be used in combination with your spells (Eul's to set up stuns, pick off enemies), give you added mobility and flexibility in team fights (Dagger), counter certain types of enemy attacks and ultimates (ghost scepter, Mekansm) while making you more vulnerable to others. Some items are extremely powerful early on and give you a window of opportunity to act. There's an inherent tension between securing your gold in items, or saving to get more powerful items.

4. Much greater variety in hero abilities and playing styles, not to mention a higher skill ceiling. HOTS has nothing like Earth Spirit, IO, or Meepo in terms of mechanical skill, nor does it have any heroes with the same fight-winning ultimates as Enigma, Sand King, Lich (if positioned correctly).

If Dota 2 is Counter-strike, HOTS is CoD. Everything is stripped down for quicker, easier play with a much lower skill ceiling so casuals eat it up.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
There is more involved skill involved at every stage of the game, objectively:

1. Laning in Dota 2 involves spacing, harassment, fighting for denies and last hits, and lane control, through pulling or other means. You have choices. To just give one example, the decision whether to keep the creep equilibrium close to your tower (and therefore keep your carry safe) by pulling and killing off the creep wave in jungle, or to double up on your wave by pulling, killing the camp, and move the creep equilibrium forward. This is done in order to take the tower and map control, which is of crucial importance in getting an advantage in the mid and late game. You do not have similar choices in HOTS. Laning is abandoned pretty quickly, towers are weak and run out of ammo, and getting down towers/bases versus farming a particular hero is not a possible choice.

2. Map control. In HOTS map control is only importance insofar as it usually means that you're far ahead in XP and can access objectives without being seen by enemy creeps. In Dota 2, map control enables you to farm more safely and usually faster, respond to fights across the battlefield, ward and de-ward, and take Roshan more safely. Moreover, map control gives you more flexibility in using smoke. If you are pushed into your base and the enemy team doesn't see you farming your limited resources, it is fairly obvious that you've smoked.

3. Items. There are a ton of different items that can be used in combination with your spells (Eul's to set up stuns, pick off enemies), give you added mobility and flexibility in team fights (Dagger), counter certain types of enemy attacks and ultimates (ghost scepter, Mekansm) while making you more vulnerable to others. Some items are extremely powerful early on and give you a window of opportunity to act. There's an inherent tension between securing your gold in items, or saving to get more powerful items.

4. Much greater variety in hero abilities and playing styles, not to mention a higher skill ceiling. HOTS has nothing like Earth Spirit, IO, or Meepo in terms of mechanical skill, nor does it have any heroes with the same fight-winning ultimates as Enigma, Sand King, Lich (if positioned correctly).

If Dota 2 is Counter-strike, HOTS is CoD. Everything is stripped down for quicker, easier play with a much lower skill ceiling so casuals eat it up.

Casuals eat it up, like your mom eats up my cock after a rough night

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You DOTA 2 fag fanboys, need to get out of this thread, right about now.

The shilling it getting out of hand. Eat more Gaben cock, please.

Go to the dota 2 thread and spout about your ridiculous nonsense.

Just because you're terribad at Heroes of The Storm, doesn't mean it gives you the right to speak your filthy mouth in the forums.

KK1001

Arbiter
Brenner please teach me to be good at HOTS. Take me under your wing, so I can learn from the best.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Still play this once in a while to clear daily quests. I have over 70,000 gold since the last several heroes have been mostly uninteresting. Butcher is okay, I guess... but I'm not a huge Diablo fan. Unfortunately the next two months will be more Derpablo heroes.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Brenner please teach me to be good at HOTS. Take me under your wing, so I can learn from the best.

No. I don't have time for shit noobs. Sorry. My life and time is too important, and I only play top tier games. Not casual shit games you play all day.

Grokalibre

Savant
Game is so dumbed down we may say it's lobotomized. Thus there's not much to talk about. There's plenty of similar crappy mobas for mobiles but this one got more attention because Blizzard.

So the only interest of this thread is to see if Brenner manages to pass the Turing test.

Mr. Pink

Travelling Gourmand, Crab Specialist
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there a reason why this is still a bickering thread of HotS vs Dota 2 instead of a proper game thread?

because watching this thread is more fun than playing HoTS

FuelBlooded

Scholar
I'm thinking of trying this game out. Can I acquire all heroes w/o paying 1000 bucks?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom