Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout "The Relentless Champions Of Classic Fallout" - Glittering Gems of Hatred MK2

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
He isn't really dead is he? Just dead like I was for months? When I found the eulogies from my "death" it just creeped me out.

And yeah, the Unwashed Villagers were great, but before my time. Now the Atheists for ChrisT from the Interplay Forum wow, they were crazy, they created the Fallout fans mythology. The ChrisT was for Chris Taylor, of course. Killzig is really quiet these days, but seems fine, and that's the most important.
I'm dead.

Mech

Cipher
Just browsed through the NMA forums.... It just made me glad the Codex exists. Seeing how passively and nicely they react to Fallout 4, how there is almost no vitriol and anger, it's pretty sad. Fuck even the coverage of FO4 on their front page is generally very positive. Seems to me that RPG Codex is overall a much more inclined site.

Ya I found the same thing. I went there expecting complete vitriol and didn't even recognize the site. Serious :decline: :(

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Who the fuck is Sander? What happened to Miroslav? Did he have to take the fall for Srebrenica? I'll get Samantha Power for this.

:flamesaw:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Who the fuck is Sander? What happened to Miroslav? Did he have to take the fall for Srebrenica? I'll get Samantha Power for this.

:flamesaw:

My uncle knew Miroslav personally. They were old military buddies. Dudes probably in his late forties by now with no desire to fuck around on a video game fan site. Sander is just NMA's local SJW sherrif. NMA is in the process of getting a few new moderators. Change is coming. Change you can believe in.

:salute:

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
If he's still in Serbia then he probably doesn't have the electricity or leisure time to fuck around on a video game fan site. Not after the Germans and the Croatians looted Yugoslavia's corpse.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm dead.

Nice Bauhaus quote <3
You are the only one left that is old enough to catch my references. I dropped a Gilbert and George one at one point that went totally unnoticed. I moped about it for days.

I wish that Kotaku article had quoted 4too.

Don't worry, 4too will eventually be hailed as the founder of Video Game Criticism Poetry.

He posted here a few times in the last few years, I think.

naossano

Cipher
Mr. FABULOUS Cain was so sick of Generic Fantasy Shit™ (like most of us are) and did a PA Turn Based RPG. He didn't want to do a FPS. He wanted to do a cRPG. And he and his team succeeded very well.

Wasnt 1999 the heyday of Doom, Quake, and their clones? I remember seeing pew pew everywhere there's a computer.

Nah, the FPS genre started in the late 80s (more like experiments than actual FPS), became solid in early 90s (Wolfenstein, Doom etc...), evolved during all that decade, and was already extremely close to what we have now in the late 90s/early 2000s, except for the lack of HD/lips sync (Half-Life, Counter-Strike, GTA 3, Deus EX, Soldier of Fortune, Unreal Tournament etc...)

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Always enjoyed 4too's posts. I can still remember Rosh very lively. Scorched earth. And some strange dude,
I think 'PsychoSniper' was his name.

No Mutants Allowed - We were there before the fall. Is that still the motto of the page?
Killap, the Bear Dude, that man was/is a machine.:salute:

And the resident Lizard and the ultimate Fallout guides.

I guess I left there before the fall. Some time around when a Brother has risen from the ashes of a Kharn.:cool:

Servo

Arcane
All in all, however, the article itself is depressing decline. I never had to "draw my own maps" with Fallout. The game remains as playable today as it ever was, you snickering retards. And going away from its "CRPG roots" is nothing to celebrate.

I expect quite a few people here read the article with a certain bias. In particular, you seem to have ignored the context of the "drew your own maps" comment:

Fallout and Fallout 2 are the dying gasps of an entire generation, one where you rolled D20s for stats and drew your own maps.

i.e., it was the generation that rolled D20s and drew maps. Fallout 1 and 2 came out when gamers of that generation were hitting middle age.

Read it how you will, but I didn't get the impression he was painting NMA in a negative light or the move away from CRPGs in a positive one:

Decades from now the Fallout license will have long shook off its CRPG tradition. Fallout 3 will be the origin story. Fallout 3 will be the classic. They yell, they scream, they beat down newcomers, but they need to, because no one else will.

This sounds more like lamenting than celebrating.

Anyways, I rather enjoyed the article. I don't see any harm if it makes their audience a little more aware.

The funniest thing is that the author of that article obviously hasn't played the original fallouts either.

Really? Sounded to me like he had:

In Bethesda’s world you can slap together whatever mish-mash of stats, items, and perks together and still be able to shoot, talk, and VATS-cheese your way just fine. Black Isle comes from a pen-and-paper tradition that emphasizes reality. You can’t rest for an hour and get a full health regeneration. There are no autosaves. The bad guys that can one-shot you are prowling around the second you step out of the vault. There are ramifications. If you do something silly, like say, roll a character with extremely low intelligence, you’ll find that all of your dialogue choices are replaced with brutish grunts. Your first quest has a 150-day time limit on it. You can kill children, if you’re sadistic enough. There’s a real primalness here. Fallout 3,on the other hand, is designed for the broadest palette possible.

:salute:

Old One

Arcane
I expect quite a few people here read the article with a certain bias. In particular, you seem to have ignored the context of the "drew your own maps" comment:

Fallout and Fallout 2 are the dying gasps of an entire generation, one where you rolled D20s for stats and drew your own maps.

i.e., it was the generation that rolled D20s and drew maps. Fallout 1 and 2 came out when gamers of that generation were hitting middle age.
No.

That's my generation and I was in my mid-twenties when Fallout 1 and 2 came out. I would say most of the people who played original Fallout were and are younger than me. By the time Fallout 1 and 2 came out it had been a long time since I'd played a game that required mapping. Once mapping by hand went away, it went away hard and fast. I guess it depends on which system you used, but I don't recall ever rolling a d20 "for stats." The 20-sider was for saving throws and attack rolls, and a few other things. The quote you cite is chock-full of examples of, if not ignorance, then laziness with the facts. It's a good example of the shoddiness that pervades the entire piece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom