Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are the paradigms of role-playing outdated?

katzenjammer

Novice
I enjoyed the article, and it articulates some of my own thoughts on how to really revamp the CRPG experience. I agree the prose style could use some tweaking, though ;)

But anyway, here's some potential issues I see with each of Role-Player's suggested solutions:

1) The "past actions speak louder that stats" option

Say the PC is trying to seduce some NPC. Without a stat check for charisma/beauty, how would the game determine if this seduction attempt succeeds? Would the game be able to account for someone who wanted to role-play either an ugly or beautiful PC? (This could also be asked vis-à-vis roleplaying geniuses or idiots.)

I suppose the lack of beauty or intelligence stats could be mitigated by a skill system, e.g. a seduction skill for the beautiful person, a rhetoric/lore skill for the intelligent one. However, what exactly is being advocated in the article: a removal of both attributes (INT, CHA) and skills (bluff, seduction), or just attributes?

2) The "modular dialogue" option

Regarding the example, I don't see why a charisma stat would have to be eliminated. Couldn't the bonuses gained via bartering skill and worldly knowledge be stacked on top of the PC's natural charisma? Surely raw ability counts as much as life experience.

3) The "attitude package" option

Again, it seems possible to retrofit this kind of system onto stat-based game mechanics. For example, the player could choose a Diplomatic stance for his PC before trying to reason with an NPC, but the effectiveness (and particulars) of the interaction would be tied to charisma.

By "particulars" I mean the specific dialogue options we can choose. Suppose a Diplomatic stance renders all the options in the ensuing text tree very logical and compassionate. A low-charisma PC could still fail to persuade an NPC because e.g. he's too overbearing. On the other hand, a high-charisma PC would succeed due to his innate mastery of intonation and friendly body language.

This might enrich social interaction without having to junk the dialogue stats entirely.

Hory

Erudite
Joe Krow said:
Not really. The difference lies in the role that the dialogue itself plays in the game, the limits/options it creates, and what "drives the action" in the game. It does not matter what is actually being said or how well designed or engaing the quests are. The narrative, "Choose Your Own Adventure" book, implementation uses dialogue to impose a narrative plot on the character though a script w/forks. The freeform, objective oriented, version I described creates an open envioronment where dialogue is used to entice rather then direct. They are fundementally different.
Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen you really describe that system from a practical viewpoint.
I think it would be easiest to implement it that way, yes. Full sentences could also be used but would add nothing except flavor. What's significant is what is being asked about and what the NPC knows, not how it is being asked. The characters significant choices do not have to be made in conversation.
It seems to me that a topic-based dialogue can use pretty much the same system as a dialogue tree, with fewer levels and more general subjects. If you advocate a reduction of dialogue depth but with deeper non-dialogue mechanics - then how would those work exactly?
I think it would be easiest to implement it that way, yes. Full sentences could also be used but would add nothing except flavor. What's significant is what is being asked about and what the NPC knows, not how it is being asked. The characters significant choices do not have to be made in conversation.
It's not realistic to reduce verbal communication to just its content. Sure, apart from verbal elements there are a lot of non-verbal ones which should be implemented, but they wouldn't necessarily be using a system far different than a dialogue tree. You'd still have to pick actions such as "frowning" from a limited list - you'd still have a reaction from the NPC, and you'd still have to react to that yourself.
What i'm saying is that I find using scripted converation as the motive force in RPGs to be more restrictive then engaging. Three or four dialogue options cannot possibly simulate a realistic range of options. Nine times in ten, their only function is to move the player to the next plot point. What i'm suggesting, along with the OP, is that the chosen actions of the player take center stage rather then a script.
Even if you do something outside of a dialogue tree, there would still be three or four options that cannout simulate a realistic range. And a lot of what you could do outside a dialogue tree could also probably be transposed to one. Even purely physical actions, such as walking - by choosing a text-representation of the direction you want to walk to.
It would be less efficient than automated pathfinding for clicking on a destination on an isometric landscape - but it wouldn't be more restrictive in the number of options.
You respond to him after the conversation is over by selecting what you will do based on the information he provided. Why do you think it matters what you say to npcs? Realisticcly, whould an evil character confess his vileness with every breath? Wouldn't an evil character lie? How would that work? Should he select the first of three then... the good option? How is he not, in fact, being good then? The "options" presented on dialogue trees serve only one purpose: progressing the script.
As long as there is a script, it needs to be "progressed". There's nothing wrong with that. Or do you think there shouldn't be one? Only a game without content can have no script, and I don't want RPGs to become that. Even in P&P RPGs, there is an overall script in the GM's head.
Stilted dialogue options offer a meager roleplaying experience when compared to systems in which unscripted actions produce meaningfull effects.
Every action is scripted, more or less directly. Because trees require direct scripting, they can have more depth, not just the "indirect meaningful outcomes".

Joe Krow

Erudite
NPCs, in an objective based dialogue system, are what they know. What I mean by this is that their reason for existing is to provide information and motivation to the character. Dialogue, in this case, creates opportunities without imposing a structure. This system was used near perfectly in Ultima 4. It's hard to explain how it would work in detail outside of specific examples. Ill try to give you one:

After an extensive exploration of the town and interaction with many of its NPC inhabitants...
-Many NPCs in town complain about a rash of burgleries.
-[Beacause your charisma is high] A farmer tells you he lost an expensive family heirloom down his well and hopes it comes up one day.
-[Becasue your reputation is bad] The farmer's son confides in you that one night, while he was sneaking out to go bang the blacksmith's daughter, he' saw a man climbing out of the well. When he looked down the well he saw nothing unusual.
-The Capatin of the Guard's maid says that, ironoically, the Captain's house was once a headquarters for the thieves guild and is full of secret doors. [Because your repution is good] She doesn't mind if you look around but anything you find in the passages belongs to the Capatin. Or maybe she does mind [because your reputaion is bad] and she asks you to leave immediately.
-The Village Elder says there is a sytem of thieves caves below the town but they were sealed years ago.

Notice two things: 1) I have not said a word to any of them. 2) I have some pretty interesting avenues to persue. You could lay a mini-game or dialogue trees on top of this but it would add nothing but artificial and unecessary limitations. Dialogue, in this example, is not an opportunity for you to proclaim your alignment or move the plot along. In objective based systems your alignement and what you do are determined by you actions and have nothing to do with what you say to NPCs.

Dialogue could take the form of a list of topics, short statments, or even cut-scenes. You're not responding to NPCs, they are responding to you. In addition, the interface could also give you the option to show an NPC items from your inventory or offer them for sale. This would allow for more interesting interactions (as we'll see in a minute).

So what should you do next then? Should you try find the heirloom and return it to the farmer? Sell it? Keep it? Give it the Captain of the Guard? Should you try to find the thieve's and kill them? Capture them? Join them? You believe that there is a connection between the Captain's house, the well, and the tunnels below the town. You also suspect that the farmer's heirloom, as well as the theives, may be down there. You decide to try going down the well but whatever door may be down there only goes one way.

What now? What about the entrance you believe to be in the Captains' house? If your "evil" you might kill the maid and ransack the house looking for the entrance. Maybe the combat system allows you a gentler option, knocking her out. You might wait for everyone to leave and break in. You could also sneak in while someone's home if you have the skills and you're living dangerously. Or, if your reputation is good, you could freely look around for it.

Say you find an entrance to the tunnels and some indication it is still in regualr use. When you find the theives what do you do? If you're a "do gooder" maybe they'll attack you immediately. If your reputation is low enough maybe they'll accept you as one of their own. If you are accepted by them, a whole new avenue opens up. Later, while exploring the tunnels, you find the theive's ledger. It implicates the Captian. What do you do with it? Leave it alone? Keep it? Blackamil (sell) it to the Captain? Confront him with it (show it to him)? Or should you expose the whole thing by giving it to the Village Elder?

In this entire example no one has assigned you a quest and what has happened has been entirely up to you. How you got into the tunnels, who you gave the heirloom to (assuming you found it), and what you did with the thieve's ledger (and the thieves themselves) all have an impact on the your character and the game world going forward. What's significant is that it was your actions that were determinative not your words.

Hory

Erudite
Joe Krow said:
NPCs, in an objective based dialogue system, are what they know. What I mean by this is that their reason for existing is to provide information and motivation to the character.
Perhaps it is your preference, but I see little advantage in limiting NPCs to information kiosks. I think that when the characters are so shallow, the player is even less motivated. But they don't have to be over-the-top and unrealistically dramatic either.
Dialogue, in this case, creates opportunities without imposing a structure.
The opportunities you suggest in your example are pre-structured just as well. They are not explored through dialogues, yes, but I don't think that there shouldn't be such opportunities either.
After an extensive exploration of the town and interaction with many of its NPC inhabitants...
[...]
Notice two things: 1) I have not said a word to any of them. 2) I have some pretty interesting avenues to persue. You could lay a mini-game or dialogue trees on top of this but it would add nothing but artificial and unecessary limitations.
Artificial? I consider these unidirectional NPCs completely artificial. A well developed NPC could just as well imply interesting avenues. Two-way conversation would make the interaction more meaningful, emotional, realistic. Is this unnecessary? I think it's just as necessary as in any work of fiction.
Dialogue in this example, is not, an opportunity for you to proclaim your alignment or move the plot along. In objective based systems your alignement and what you do are determined by you actions and have nothing to do with what you say to NPCs.
Alignment should be influenced by all actions - verbal or not. Words can harm others. If you repeatedly and intentionally harm them, can't it be said you are leaning towards a certain alignment? Theoretically, feedback on your alignment could be scrapped alltogether, but I think that seeing it change is an enjoyable reward system for the player's choices.
In addition, the interface could also give you the option to show an NPC items from your inventory or offer them for sale. This would allow for more interesting interactions (as we'll see in a minute).
That wouldn't be bad, but it can be done with a dialogue tree as well.
So what should you do next then? Should you try find the heirloom and return it to the farmer? Sell it? Keep it? Give it the Captain of the Guard? Should you try to find the thieve's and kill them? Capture them? Join them? You believe that there is a connection between the Captain's house, the well, and the tunnels below the town. You also suspect that the farmer's heirloom, as well as the theives, may be down there. You decide to try going down the well but whatever door may be down there only goes one way.

What now? What about the entrance you believe to be in the Captains' house? If your "evil" you might kill the maid and ransack the house looking for the entrance. Maybe the combat system allows you a gentler option, knocking her out. You might wait for everyone to leave and break in. You could also sneak in while someone's home if you have the skills and you're living dangerously. Or, if your reputation is good, you could freely look around for it.

Say you find an entrance to the tunnels and some indication it is still in regualr use. When you find the theives what do you do? If you're a "do gooder" maybe they'll attack you immediately. If your reputation is low enough maybe they'll accept you as one of their own. If you are accepted by them, a whole new avenue opens up. Later, while exploring the tunnels, you find the theive's ledger. It implicates the Captian. What do you do with it? Leave it alone? Keep it? Blackamil (sell) it to the Captain? Confront him with it (show it to him)? Or should you expose the whole thing by giving it to the Village Elder?
This web of quests would no doubt be interesting, but dialogue trees would add even more depth to it.
In this entire example no one has assigned you a quest and what has happened has been entirely up to you. How you got into the tunnels, who you gave the heirloom to (assuming you found it), and what you did with the thieve's ledger (and the thieves themselves) all have an impact on the your character and the game world going forward. What's significant is that it was your actions that were determinative not your words.
I agree that quests shouldn't generally be given explictily, but this has nothing to do with dialogue trees. That's why I said you're comparing apples and crocodiles. A dialogue tree is more personal, but that doesn't mean every NPC should expect every adventurer to take a personal interest in his problems. But, with a dialogue tree, the interests of various characters can better be presented, and even acted upon. Why would you mind if a NPC tried, for example, to bribe you about a certain action, if, through conversation, you lead him to believe you're not interested of his request? Should such interactions between characters be removed from RPGs?

Joe Krow

Erudite
How would dialogue trees add anything but limitations to the gameplay i've described? What I am comparing is a system in which dialogue is used to offer a limited range of choices (narrative) to one in which your actions themselves form your choices (objective). Which do you find less confining? Dialogue trees could still be used in an objective based system but I would hate to see them railroad the player onto a "game-script" as they so often do. In an objective context dialogue trees would, in effect, be a "find out what I know" mini-game. Any character depth dialogue trees would yeild could be added just as easily in a monlogue.

Hory

Erudite
Joe Krow said:
How would dialogue trees add anything but limitations to the gameplay i've described?
The fact that you can approach a quest verbally (dialogue tree) is in itself an additional option. Non-verbal actions are limited as well.
What I am comparing is a system in which dialogue is used to offer a limited range of choices (narrative) to one in which your actions themselves form your choices (objective).
But not every kind of human action can be implemented through non-verbal mechanics. How would you, for example, teach Dakkon to understand the Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon?
Which do you find less confining? Dialogue trees could still be used in an objective based system but I would hate to see them railroad the player onto a "game-script" as they so often do. In an objective context dialogue trees would, in effect, be a "find out what I know" mini-game. Any character depth dialogue trees would yeild could be added just as easily in a monlogue.
Dialogue trees should be one of multiple available mediums. They certainly don't exclude objective-action. But if you do exclude rich conversations - you won't have a RPG anymore.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Hory said:
Joe Krow said:
How would dialogue trees add anything but limitations to the gameplay i've described?
The fact that you can approach a quest verbally (dialogue tree) is in itself an additional option. Non-verbal actions are limited as well.
Yes, but when you replace free action mechanics with a menu of options you are limiting gameplay. That is what narrative dialogue almost always does.

What I am comparing is a system in which dialogue is used to offer a limited range of choices (narrative) to one in which your actions themselves form your choices (objective).
But not every kind of human action can be implemented through non-verbal mechanics. How would you, for example, teach Dakkon to understand the Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon?
In a narrative setting I would select "Teach Dakkon to understand the Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon" from the menu (provided the designer saw fit to includ that as one of my three options). In an objective setting I would probably bring him some hard-won book on the subject. I'm not arguing that dialogue trees should be eliminated. I'm just saying they have become a crutch. They are disconnected from the other elements of the game and, as they are most often used, are unnecessarilly restrictive.

Which do you find less confining? Dialogue trees could still be used in an objective based system but I would hate to see them railroad the player onto a "game-script" as they so often do. In an objective context dialogue trees would, in effect, be a "find out what I know" mini-game. Any character depth dialogue trees would yeild could be added just as easily in a monlogue.
Dialogue trees should be one of multiple available mediums. They certainly don't exclude objective-action. But if you do exclude rich conversations - you won't have a RPG anymore.
Many of the best RPGs ever made do not use a single dialogue tree.

Hory

Erudite
Yes, but when you replace free action mechanics with a menu of options you are limiting gameplay. That is what narrative dialogue almost always does.
"Free action mechanics" are just as limited. Everything that is possible must be pre-scripted, but perhaps not all the options are as obvious. Maybe a menu of options simplifies gameplay, but the purpose of a RPG is role-playing, not gaming.

Are you talking about multiplayer P&P RPGs? They don't have dialogue trees because you can say anything. Since there is no computer interpreter that can understand everything, we'll have to use the best next thing - dialogue trees - in which you can say a few deeper things. In the system you propose, you can say almost nothing.
The best CRPG certainly do have dialgoue trees. Is it a coincidence?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Higher INT means higher learning capacity and it does imply that an intellectually gifted character can discuss things and grasps concepts that an average Joe can't.

What INT is meant to be and how it actually is implemented are two different things. When was the last time your character in an RPG communicated as intelligently as his mental and social statistics portrayed him, unless a roll was required at some choke point? When was the last time your character could use his experiences to progress in the game, instead of having to fall back on a statistic determining the best course of action?

As you see from the example, option A is over the top and does imply some very specific training or access to Google, but option B is very reasonable and reflects your character's intelligence adequately.

Is that example a reflection of actual knowledge or of the designer rewarding you with an ocasional intelligent-sounding dialogue option for dumping points into Intelligence? Is your character good at handling computers because he trained over the years and had firsthand experience with them, or because you’ve determined that is what he is good at in a metagaming way that does not necessarily reflect what the character is experiencing? I find it ironic that we often discuss just what it is that a character’s role in a gameworld means and how, for instance, the player’s skill or decision can sometimes take away from the character’s presence in the gameworld – yet, here we are defending that there is nothing wrong with a player being given the ability to take the character through a path that contradicts his character’s role. That we argue for the role to be put back into computer role-playing games, but then do our best to convince people that a “roll” is the best way of doing this.

First, a simple "increase skills by using them" mechanic (Daggerfall, Morrowind, Prelude to Darkness) fixes this problem easily.

Either system suffers from the same problem on similar levels. In the same way a character can kill goblins to advance itself in a way that does not correspond to his experience, so can a character repeatedly jump in the same place or stand still and take the brunt of physical blows to advance in a way that doesn’t reflect what the expertise should reflect. They both allow characters to develop in ways that don’t necessarily take into account what they have been doing. In Arcanum, the experience of killing wolves with melee weapons can translate into anything from better handling of firearms to better gambling skills. In Morrowind, a character that has been mauling Scamps can now also carry more items if you increase his Strength at level up since both are influenced by it.

Second, one's occupation is not an accurate tool to determine one's intelligence and what one is and isn't capable of.

In a cRPG your character’s occupation in the gameworld is one of the only tools to determine what he excels at and precisely why these systems are often so lacking. If you’re role-playing a Combat Boy in Fallout who lives and breathes combat it hardly stands to scrutiny that he’s suddenly going to move on to undertaking scholarly pursuits, or that years of experience with firearms allow him a better knowledge of scientific methods or negotiation skills. It just doesn’t fly, unless we’re moving on to justifying schizoid character decisions behind this development with “I’m role-playing”. If two characters went down the same exact path should one of them be robbed of a role-playing possibility because you tweaked a different statistic in the last level up, even when both experienced the same things and the only difference was in how you metagamed?

That's where the problem is. Your character is not necessary a mini you.

Do the words "role-playing", Role-Player, ring any bells to you? If you are playing a dumb character, what you, the player, figured out or not figured out is absolutely irrelevant. Similarly, should a martial arts master complain that his character is taking too long to defeat a rat?

It determines (or should determine) what my character can and can not understand and figure out. Ideally, it should custom tailor gameplay for your character. If you [role-] play a gullible dumbass, that's what your gameplay experience should be like.

What it should be and how it actually is are different things. Does siding with the humans or the orcs in Gothic 3 have any less of an impact on the character or the gameworld because there is no INT stat telling you what to say? Is it less of a choice or less of a long-lasting choice because your character won’t be able to say “Fngah!” if he were asked to make his allegiances clear? Is it your intelligence or the character’s that determined how to deal with the heads of the New Reno families? The decision-making process is always yours. It’s you that piece together the clues, sort out the best way among all other options, come up with tactics and strategy in combat.

INT 1 says your character is dumb and that you should role-play accordingly. Ok. So other than less skill points per level and special dialogue, what else is there telling you you’re role-playing a dumb bastard? When you go about role-playing a dim wit, is there an option to drool when looking at walls? Suddendly and inexplecably reach out and feel some tart’s left breast? Is there a chance to emulate some jangly walk or voice affectation? How does this translate into deciding what items he should carry, what purchases he makes, what paths he takes?

It doesn’t. Because it’s always your intelligence calling the shots.

Either we decide this should be left up to a set of reactions on behalf of a character with specific statistical values (thus removing our input on the role-playing aspects of the game and letting predetermined reactions govern his decisions on areas other than dialogue) or decide it should be the player to take care of these specific role-playing cases that cannot be contemplated by the game (thus allowing the player to get back into controlling the character and having his intelligence, reasoning and deduction determining how the character is being played – which is how cRPGs have always worked). Fallout is a typical example of this – a dumb character who can barely talk and finds himself in token “funny” situations or being the butt end of jokes, but is then able to perform great decisions in combat, maximize his life experience into becoming better at whatever it is he does, and of making other important decisions. That is not role-playing a dumb character, it’s playing a regular character who ocasionally is given very few or poor options in specific situations and at regular intervals.

Past experiences and actions should influence and change gameplay, opening and closing options as you move through a game. Nobody would ever argue against it. However, that doesn't mean that past experiences alone should influence gameplay.

They already do. They always have, only in unrelated ways. Whatever past experiences you have in a cRPG are what determines how you will manage to advance the character in statistical terms. The difference between current design and what I proposed is that in the latter there is a better correlation between the character’s experiences and his development, instead of unrelated processes that contribute to an end result by means of metagaming these systems behind them.

Stats and skills are valid and realistic "problem solving & progression" elements and should not be discarded. Some people are naturally better at certain things than other people. Have you not seen in your life very charismatic people who can charm almost anyone, talk their way in, and get away with pretty much anything?

First, I’m not advocating a removal of all statistics and skills – just the removal of two specific statistics. This isn’t to say the same case could not or would not be made for other concepts such as, say, something like Dexterity depending on combat system, but that’s a different matter for another time. For the purposes of discussing what I wrote now, I’d prefer we didn’t generalize about what is there. So let me reiterate – I’m not suggesting the removal of all statistics or skills so I’d appreciate if you didn’t reduce my entire argument to that. We’ve been down that road before in the past and if you recall, it didn’t work out very well.

Second, stats and skills may be based on very valid and realistic concepts but their application is not. The wargaming roots which PnP were grounded on were developed to abstract from reality, to create a system of rules which made things easier to track down and manage. This is why reducing your IQ score into a method of evaluation may help determining that wizard’s spellcasting abilities but doesn’t say anything about the character. The same applies to real life: an IQ test may be a great way to determine academic aptitude (or ineptude, depending on how you look at it) but unreliable to determine overall intelligence. The brain isn’t a static organ – why should it be analyzed as if it were? Because of this, things like Intelligence and Charisma are just something you can’t realistically track down.

If you want to look at Charisma from a realistic perspective, then I can’t help but wonder why you’d vouch for its quantification. Your charisma in reality is defined by your social experiences in life, what you’ve learned from them and how they can help in similar situations. A cRPG has a very limited, distanced interpretation of this. Let’s say you think about acquiring a small shipping warehouse and retooling it to the local community’s needs may help you bolster your company’s reputation as well as improving your distribution network in the area. Do you:

a) call up the distributor and set up a meeting. You’re confident about your skill. You’ve done it a hundred times before, but you know the gift of gab doesn’t always work. So you you think back to your past achievements – how you’ve convinced someone to join your company in the past by showcasing your company’s reputation among your consumers, your customer support expertise, and any other examples of your companies’ efficiency – and find just what you should bring up in conversation to show him why you and your company are his best choice.

b) tweak your Charisma from 12 to 13 because you know reaching that invisible threshold will allow you to successfully convince the distributor without any chance of failure.

This is neither realistic nor valid since it’s not about developing the character in a way that actually reflects the development, it’s going on a will goose chase to see what the developer was thinking. It’s having to metagame and be intimately aware of the background system instead of focusing strictly on the game. This isn’t role-playing.

There is the reason I disagree with the concept of these social attributes, because they lend themselves to a somewhat false role-playing experience. It’s the designer who ultimately decides how characters express themselves and not the players. Granted, this complaint could be made to nearly all aspects of cRPG design – such as the (in)ability to influence story progression and outcome – but these two are still left largely unsolved. Sure, you design the character and role-play it to your heart’s contempt but it’s the designer who manually sets up a number of instances where he defines where your character is going to come across as intelligent, diplomatic, moronic and so on. You can’t even decide at what times you want to role-play an intelligent character, you have to wait until you reach a predetermined crossroads where the designer felt like giving that option to you. This ends up translating into a handful of predefined solutions and reactions to a circumstancial game problem that may go against your role-playing because it doesn’t allow you proper expression.

And you’re not playing your game nor are you role-playing your character, you’re playing the designer’s game and meeting up with his expectations of how characters should act in certain situations. It’s numerical determinism at its worst. Your “role-playing” is not deciding how to act, it’s picking up the obvious dialogue branch that was suddenly made available because you made the right metagaming choice a couple of hours ago, or going with the token stupid variant because that’s supposed to mean you’re reallyrole-playing. Your character is not recognized as being intelligent in the gameworld because of how you’ve been playing him but by how you’ve been managing his attributes. Your character can’t make intelligent choices because his intelligence is being funneled into only those situations the designer could think of and implement. And this comes down to the main problem in the genre regarding the application of social components – the game is structured around the only thing the designers can track regarding your character: specific actions in the gameworld and spreadsheet tweaks. Motivations behind your decisions or actions are impossible to account for, and so are abstract concepts such as a character’s personality and intelligence. Charisma not as much but as I’ve said before, it stumbles on trying to convey something complex through simplistic, numerical tracking.

Even without taking it as a realistic option the same still applies. The statistic rarely says anything about your character’s past experiences in a logical or even satisfying way. Is it sound design to let a static value determine what your character can express in situations where he could choose much more options, or better ones?

Third and lastly, I agree that, quote, “some people are naturally better at certain things than other people”. I also agree, from experience, that charismatic people don’t always get what they want and intelligent people may not always know the best ways of dealing with problems.

Second, why "intelligence applied to problem solving and deduction skills" is a low point all of a sudden? Where is the proof?

I was talking about how they were handled, not the concept itself.

You article does a good job showing many design flaws and that, perhaps, what you should have focused on. Instead you followed in the Bethesda footsteps - saw a problem, but instead of fixing by improving the design, you decided that cutting it completely would be a better option.

I think it’s out of place to claim I’m pulling a Bethesda here considering I’m not following their modus operandi – ie. defending the article with a call of ‘use your imagination’ or using appeal to popularity (which I could use judging from the positive reception some of my ideas seems to have garnered but have not and will not do, unlike what Human Shield tried at least once to defend his viewpoint).

It’s also specious to claim I’ve decided the best course of action was to completely cut out the statistics as if that was the bulk of the argument when I clearly was supportive of the concept, which should be apparent by virtue of the alternative methods I suggested to preserve choices and consequnces. It was (is) about letting the player determine what he wants to express, not having the designer tell you when and how the character may express itself. It’s not about being able to role-play thanks to how you’ve been metagaming, it’s about being able to role-play because of how you’ve been playing. Of how you’ve actually been playing the role rather than the numbers. What are Intelligence and Charisma really used for in cRPGs?

Intelligence:

*Bonus to skill point gain. This increases the rate of skill point gain, most often during level up.
*Bonus to spellcasting abilities.
*Bonus to skill checks such as dialogue and other Int-related activities.

Charisma:

*Bonus to number of maximum party members.
*Bonus to skills such as bartering.
*Bonus to skill checks such as dialogue and other Cha-related activities.

What does this actually mean?

*Arbitrary use of either stat. Intelligence is the most blatant byproduct of D&D-derived systems which could not conceive of any other mechanics to determine the rate of skill point gain or of a statistic that defined the more conventional spellcasting classes. Dialogue options that reflect intelligence are a genre staple and a fan favorite but the implementation is terribly one-sided and provides no real advantage over being given the ability to determine these outcomes yourself. It leaves the player hanging when the solution is automatically gained by the character, or when the character seemingly can’t make use of something the player has already been clued on. Charisma follows on the same premise by adjusting certain reactions or possibilities – different bartering levels, added dialogue options and other elements. The best case for the existence of Charisma are diplomatic options and another method of character diversity, both of which are in no way lost in translation to a system that tracks past decisions in the game rather than past decisions in the character sheet.

Are they really necessary in these situations?

*Bonus to skill point gain. There are many ways of determining this that do not require Intelligence. Deus Ex awarded skill points by performing certain actions or achievements in the gameworld (in a very similar to how a Dungeon/Game Master rewards players in PnP). Planescape: Torment awarded experience by how you interacted with specific characters, including those in your party (although some of these situations were only possible if The Nameless One actually had a specific statistical value). Arcanum awarded a fixed amount of skill points per level that were not based on any statistic, attribute or skill whatsoever.

*Bonus to spellcasting abilities, party size or bartering. This can also be made to depend on many other things. Caster level and specific training can handle spellcasting availability. Party size can depend on something as simple as hiring mercenaries, past actions that may have NPCs want to follow you or not. Bartering doesn’t provide any worthwhile option that merely finding different stores that pay more for your good or offer other items can’t.

*Bonus to skill checks (dialogue and other INT or CHA-related activities). As before, I don’t think my suggestions eliminate the time tested social and mental characteristics. They simply approach them from a different angle, one that doesn’t suffer with the poor depiction of these attributes.

If you disagree – which you naturally do – and want to make a case of how my suggestions don’t really improve the design then that’s fine. You should do so and we can discuss them as well as other alternatives. Otherwise implying I’m not trying to “fix the problem” when I’m actually doing so is pretty disappointing coming from you VD, specially since you know i don’t have the time to reply to everyone or to every single concern, and that I’ll lose that ability very soon (in two hours, actually!). Lumping in this kind of trite accusation is uneccesary stuff for me to reply to and doesn’t show the best of judgement on your behalf.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Human Shield said:
Considering rules as outdated devices from PnP games is moving away from the genre and only bringing in other elements.

You’re still being unclear and facetious. If moving away from the rules of pen and paper is the same as moving away from the genre, then the only logical conclusion your premise allows for is that you consider pen and paper to be the genre, which means your whole argument against changing the way certain play mechanics in cRPGs are resolved just got a truckload more contrived since it already does not follow them.

Besides, there are no rules written in stone that say changing the specifics of certain rules while retaining the concept is moving away from PnP. There’s also nothing anywhere saying that it’s bad for computer role-playing games to distance themselves from the lower points of pen and paper. Who gets to define computer role-playing games need to mimic PnP games down to every detail to begin with? Computer role-playing games do not follow pen and paper in any serious or meaningful degree to begin with and often cannot do so by virtue of the computer medium being, at least currently, unable to replicate all the specifics of the experience such as a Dungeon/Game Master and limitless role-playing possibilities. Why insist they must do something they are yet ill-equipped to do? Are games like Arx Fatalis and Gothic 3 not cRPGs because they do not follow your criteria of statistical and dialogue development? What about pen and paper systems that focus on role-playing and try to get rid of numbers for situations like these? I am assuming that, as ill conceived as your criteria is that it actually is your personal criteria and not someone else’s delusion of what constitutes the genre that you are repeating here.

Regardless, there are no rules written in stone that validate your preconceptions of what the genre should be. None of us is an authority on the subject matter; acting like one does not make us one.

Also, nice job claiming my argument was pro-immersion than failing to provide any conclusive evidence of such reasoning (or any reasoning to begin with).

Non-RPGs can do dialog, dialog trees, and track actions. I don't know why you think they are the pinnacle of RPGs, they are neither rules or mechanics in the RPG sense that is why action games can do it just as well.

There’s a clear difference between gameplay design for role-playing and gameplay design for playing. Ad hoc dialogue structures that have no support basis for character expression serve no role-playing purpose, which doesn’t mean they can’t. Of course dialogue is not intrinsically an RPG feature, even if it is indigenous to the whole genre. Your recurring example of Starcraft validates the whole point you seem to be so obtuse about: dialogue does not conduce to role-playing unless it is designed to do so. Contrary to your assumption (the bolded part of your “argument”) this doesn’t mean it’s a pinnacle of the genre – rather, that it’s an excellent tool.

Starcraft 2 isn’t an RPG because dialogue is present – it’s not an RPG because its dialogue, along with other of its features, were not designed with the concept of role-playing in mind.

RPG combat itself is RPG gameplay that is why Dungeon Crawlers are still RPGs.

Tabletop wargaming conventions are what helped build pen and paper and dungeon crawlers, not gameplay devised to role-play. The very concept of role-playing as it is know now was virtually non-existant during the Chainmail days because the system was not originally designed to assist role-play or to create conditions for it; the genre was purely developed to simulate wargames, not role-playing games. Role-playing concepts only manifested later on, which is why there are now documents for every other system depicting rules for role-playing, as opposed to rules for combat that permeated the genre in its beginings.

That’s why the notion of role-playing in combat exists now: not because it’s design was originally conducive to it, but because the conventions eventually found their way into the original design and gave birth to something new.

Your idea of what "role-playing" really is, is limited when it shouldn't be.

And yet, I’m not the one suggesting any deviation from a concept that the electronic medium never managed to fully translate is a transgression that destroys the genre.

I am saying they have to have a ruleset, which tracking actions is not and will never be (try to write that up in a PnP rulebook).

Tracking actions is already part of D&D’s gameplay experience. That’s precisely one of the things a Dungeon/Game Master does in role-playing sessions: tracking down player choices and providing both short and long-term consequences to their decisions. Why would it be impossible to tweak and turn them into a ruleset? It certainly wasn’t impossible to add role-playing and collaborative story-telling (two concepts largely devoid of numbers) to a tabletop wargaming system, after all.

So low intelligence dialog didn't serve its simulation purpose for those that wanted it?

Low intelligence dialogue failed to be an accurate simulation of a character’s mental characteristics in a genre where player ingenuity, reasoning, intelligent and decision making will always outweigh those of a character. See my reply to VD for further details.

Values are numbers, you are talking about binary switches. Why does combat use numerical values, does it serve its purpose, why can't numbers serve dialog purposes?

Values are the same as binary switches for gameplay purposes. If a given threshold for intelligent dialogue sits there to determine the point at which Intelligence stops providing dumb dialogue and moves on up to intelligible dialogue, whatever value provides the change *is* a binary switch since it “turns off” lower INT dialogues and “turns on” access to standard dialogue choices. The same applies to whatever value dictates that at a certain point, standard dialogue options are removed from the equation and only dialogue options that reflect high intelligence will be used.

Calling it a “value” changes nothing.

Then explain how you variable levels of success from character build with trade offs in effectiveness, or pose a challenge, or provide moral choices backed by a ruleset without numbers.

Any system that allows the character to pick up on experiences that open dialogue options require that the player choose what kind of experiences the character will be submitted to and by association, what experiences he will gain that will enable him to deal with possible problems in the future. Even if this wasn’t mentioned in the article, it’s somewhat self-evident. This concept already exists in contemporary cRPG design except instead of gaining numerical experience with which to tweak mental abstractions and suddenly unlocking a new dialogue option, the character is gaining raw experience – actual situations – which will work as conditional flags and allow the character to remember and apply these memories in key instances. The difference is that where once the character could achieve success by how we metagame and tweak statistics (tweaking which may not even reflect the character’s experiences – see my response to Vault Dweller), the character is now given a chance of success that totally depends on direct interactions with the gameworld (interactions which actually directly define the character).

Also, name me one example of providing moral choices that absolutely requires numbers that is not based on tweaking some spreadsheet (which isn’t a moral choice to begin with). This one is actually rethorical by the way, since I won’t be back until a couple of months, but consider why is that defining a character through moral choices requires numbers instead of actions.

It is the same "you don't need numbers" argument that goes nowhere because games and gameplay outside of twitch rely on numbers. You would end up with RPG combat and other elements but a separate way to handle dialog.

As you have been so poignantly illustrating. Oh wait.

Could you give more details?

Speaking of skills, I’m big into removing the concept of primary statistics and working with skills alone. I could go into detail but I’ll let Vault Dweller explain why in a clear, concise way since it’s a line of thought I concur with:

Vault Dweller said:
I don't think that statistics matter that much, they are just features while actual role-playing is a defining gameplay element. Here is an example, Prelude to Darkness does not have commonly expected features as levels, gaining exp from fighting, etc, yet the game is very interesting and less distracting because of that.
Personally I like spreadsheets, numbers and such, but sometimes I wish for some creativity and diversity in that department. For example, do we really need to have numeric attributes like str, dx, ws, etc in every game? Technically they could be substituted by skills, for example, if your character fights with 2h weapons a lot, it’s safe to assume that as his skill grows so does his strength giving him all strength related bonuses and in-game checks. If we are talking about character development, then let’s assume that your starting character is an average [insert race name here] and is not an uber hero with 18/00 str, if the char is average then I don’t think that stats matter that much unless you are power gaming which is what happen when the focus shifts from role-playing to stat-playing.

As far as character awareness on limitations, there’s all kinds of ideas but I really can’t spare the time now. I haven’t slept in 48 hours and barely took a breather today, so spending several detailed paragraps on several systems isn’t something I feel confident I can do without screwing it up.

One is binary while the other is a function call (you can attach whatever means you want to get the final number). It is a tougher choice because you have to give up effectiveness in other areas to get a higher CHA.

It’s always a tougher choice if the system is developed that way. You can mold that Ascaron example I gave in the article so that each experience the character gains requires he to make difficult decisions. Trying to push the Nomadic hordes away from Ascaron implies possible rewards or reputations – even if you ultimately fail to save the city. But by not even trying, maybe you don’t get that intimidation possibility later on when trying to save the victim – which in turn may lead to another situation such as a local reputation boost or reputation.

You were speaking of moral choices earlier on, so here’s something that could be used to make up for tougher choices. I’m sure you’ll like this example since it uses numbers, but end up hating it because I’m saying right now it can probably be developed without them. Let’s say that for each specific interaction, you are granted two or more character development options of which you can only choose one, or two at maximum. These options basically translate into specific ways you want a character to develop after he analyzes his experiences. So you would click on that option in a character screen to see just what the experience with Ascarom could teach you. We could come up with some options like this:

+2 STR, -1 Sequence
For having forsaken all common sense and fighting head on against the five Nomad Captains during the Ascaron invasion.

+1 DEX, +1 to Dodge, +2% Physical Resistance, -4 INT
For having survived the fury of the Nomad Archer Batallion wearing no protection.

+1 CHA, -3 Universal Reputation
For having convinced the children refugees to be taken by the Nomad Slavetraders.

I believe this allows for some of the effectiveness trade offs you were talking about. It uses actual in-game experiences that have an effect on the character (as opposed to disparate experiences which may not influence him at all, such as the example of killing rats in order to gain XP and increase Intelligence) and still allows for a level of statistical increments to define a character, while requiring the player to make some tough moral choices (if you still consider statistical choices to be something decidedly moral, that is, since the player could only choose one).

Personally I’d keep this invisible from players or in the very least, remove bonuses that pertained to INT or CHA for reasons expressed in the article and on the forums. In the latter scenario and using a previous example, this would probably end up offering a possibility to gain an Ascaron-exclusive perk that enabled the player to bring it up in conversation or somesuch (“Wherever you go, the final days of Ascaron will taint your existence”, letting the player know this condition has been ‘unlocked’ and may prove both beneficial or harmful to future interactions”).

This is just completely wrong and shows your lack of awareness in PnP design. The numbers in Dogs in the Vineyard and Capes aren't their to stop arguments, the numbers themselves CAN CREATE STORY IN PLAY. Numbers and reward systems guide behavior, you're working from the flawed idea that numbers settle arguments instead of creating gameplay.

You should realize the limits of what numbers can actually do before you want a replacement.

You misread the post or I misconstructed it. My point isn’t that numbers serve the same application in all games in pen and paper; rather, that what started out as a PnP mechanic to stop arguments between the players and the Dungeon Master does not need to be replicated on every game of the computer role-playing genre.

Numbers can do whatever we tell them to do. Which says nothing about the discussion. In the same way we find pen and paper games that avoid the common pitfalls of numbers, so can we do the same with cRPGs.

No you haven't, either it is binary, twitch, or you hide the numbers. So explain your "system". Is it a series of perks? What?

Yes, I have. Read the article again, specifically the part about how each experience "unlocks" certain conditions that may later on be used in certain interactions. What it does is remove the concept that "CHA 8 lets you convince the Mayor of <insert>" to "Stop local bandits from making raids //or// save the town from a rampaging murderer //or// help clear the name of an honest merchant //or// any such activity // so that you can convince the Mayor (or gain leverage when trying to convince him)".

Then how does it interact with the numbers that effect the other actions.

And why would it need numbers to achieve these interactions? You’re going on a tangent. I made no suggestion to cut off dialogue, you were the one who brought it up. There’s no real reason that prevents numbers from affecting combat and not being used in dialogue, or why you couldn’t retrofit the same concept of in-game experiences to combat (such as weapon expertise being gained by dealing with trainers, or other specific actions such as meditations, studying enemies’ stances and trying to replicate them, and so on).

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
To everyone else that contributed, I honestly apologize for not having been able to reply. Since I'll be away for one to two months and can't guarantee any kind of presence here during that time, I'd still like to thank those who replied whether they agreed or disagreed with the views in my article. I'm sure you can take it somewhere interesting, and my regret really is that I can't be around to see it or talk about it.

If anyone else is interested to continue discussing this directly with me, feel free to use my email and I'll try to respond some time later, if I have the chance.

Cheers,

~RP.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Hory said:
"Free action mechanics" are just as limited. Everything that is possible must be pre-scripted, but perhaps not all the options are as obvious. Maybe a menu of options simplifies gameplay, but the purpose of a RPG is role-playing, not gaming.
Haven't you heard? Limitless is the new four. So you believe that an action only counts if you selected it from a scripted list and it has an accompanying scripted response? How dull. Instead why not create a system that is prepared for general contingencies and then applies a reponse to the specific instance of your action? Why not allow actions to create ripple effects that can ultimately redefine the gameworld. How can you even argue that dialogue trees offer as many options? Open ended gameplay requires open ended game mechanics. Dialogue trees, in their current state, are inherently, and unnecessarily, limiting.

Are you talking about multiplayer P&P RPGs? They don't have dialogue trees because you can say anything. Since there is no computer interpreter that can understand everything, we'll have to use the best next thing - dialogue trees - in which you can say a few deeper things. In the system you propose, you can say almost nothing.
The best CRPG certainly do have dialgoue trees. Is it a coincidence?
Ooops. Many of the best cRPGs ever made do not use a single dialogue tree. Have you played Ultima 4? Imagine it's game mechanics brought up to today's standards... someone needs to get on the ball.

galsiah

Erudite
Role-Player said:
First, a simple "increase skills by using them" mechanic (Daggerfall, Morrowind, Prelude to Darkness) fixes this problem easily.
Either system suffers from the same problem on similar levels. In the same way a character can kill goblins to advance itself in a way that does not correspond to his experience, so can a character repeatedly jump in the same place or stand still and take the brunt of physical blows to advance in a way that doesn’t reflect what the expertise should reflect.
There is no "the same way" here. One system entirely disconnects actions from increases, the other connects them. Naturally Morrowind manages to screw up the connection in some respects, but there is a generally reasonable connection. Viewing both of these as the same problem is daft.

They both allow characters to develop in ways that don’t necessarily take into account what they have been doing.
This is not true in the jumping example you quote from Morrowind. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it in terms of how it allows your character to develop. You're just looking at it, thinking "that's really daft", then assuming that the reason it's daft is that people wouldn't become stronger / nimbler / more acrobatically adept by jumping - that is not true: they would.
The problem in Morrowind is that the up-side of the activity is simulated (getting better at jumping etc. - perfectly reasonable), while the down-side is not (travelling more slowly, tiredness having consequences, NPCs thinking you're a buffoon, wasted time impacting negatively on time-criticl-task-X...).

It's easy to look at Morrowind's skill/attribute mechanics and conclude that they're daft. It's somewhat harder to accurately deduce exactly how/why they're daft. In large part it's not the mechanics that exist in the game which are flawed - it's the concepts the game fails to simulate/emphasize adequately (or at all).
Getting fitter and more acrobatic after jumping everywhere makes sense. Getting more proficient at dodging/avoiding-the-brunt-of/taking blows after being hit for hours also makes sense. (though both of these could be situationally fine-tuned)
The glaring error is the complete failure to simulate the downside of these activities. People don't avoid them in reality because there's no upside - they avoid them due to the more significant downside.

In Morrowind, a character that has been mauling Scamps can now also carry more items if you increase his Strength at level up since both are influenced by it.
First that's hardly a terrible connection - hitting stuff probably would build strength, and any game system makes approximations.
Second, VD was not talking about the attribute increase mechanics - which are entirely separate from the skill increase mechanics. It's quite possible to keep the "increase skills by using them" theme, but to translate them into attribute increases more smoothly / naturally.

Also, you're conflating the ideas behind the Morrowind system - "skills increase through use", "skill increase leads to attribute increase" - with the implementation of those ideas. That Bethesda manage to screw up the implementation is no argument at all against the basic concepts of the system.

You seem to be frequently using the "This isn't perfect, so [consider] scrap[ping] it." argument, rather than the usually preferable "This isn't perfect, so consider how it might be improved.". I don't think that's helpful. Scrapping it is one possible option, but I don't think it's the most instructive to explore in detail.

Hory

Erudite
Joe Krow said:
Haven't you heard? Limitless is the new four. So you believe that an action only counts if you selected it from a scripted list and it has an accompanying scripted response? How dull.
No, I don't think that at all. I think there isn't much difference option-wise if you select it from a scripted list or you select it from a general list of skills.
Instead why not create a system that is prepared for general contingencies and then applies a reponse to the specific instance of your action?
Maybe this system would be more efficient programming-wise, but it's not something that couldn't be replicated within a tree. Example: you develop general options related to fortress walls. You make it so that the character can try to bash them, to climb them, to find a secret passage in them, to throw something over them (eg. ninja rope). Note that you can't really make unlimited "free choices". Then, in level design, you mark certain objects as fortress walls, and all these features will be available.
But let's do it with an "action tree". For each fortress wall on the map, you'd have to implement these features. Perhaps it would be more repetitive, but it would be more flexible. It would allow to add actions based on their particularities, your followers, and particular descriptions as well. And, after all, how many fortress trees will there be in a game?
Will it be boring to just select these options from a tree? Maybe, tho it wouldn't be much different than selecting the climb skill and clicking on the wall, or selecting attack and clicking, or throw and clicking.
Why not allow actions to create ripple effects that can ultimately redefine the gameworld. How can you even argue that dialogue trees offer as many options?
By setting and verifying enough variables, trees can be scripted to reflect any actions of the player, in any particular point.
Open ended gameplay requires open ended game mechanics. Dialogue trees, in their current state, are inherently, and unnecessarily, limiting.
And in their current state, non-tree computer RPG mechanics are limiting just as well. Show me a game that a great amount of varied quests, with world-affecting consequences, accompanied by quality writing that explains these effects.
Ooops. Many of the best cRPGs ever made do not use a single dialogue tree. Have you played Ultima 4? Imagine it's game mechanics brought up to today's standards... someone needs to get on the ball.
Many? Yeah, right. I played Ultima 4. Maybe I played it too late, but I would never put it above all the dialogue tree-based Troika / Bioware (well, BG2) RPGs .

Joe Krow

Erudite
Hory said:
Joe Krow said:
Haven't you heard? Limitless is the new four. So you believe that an action only counts if you selected it from a scripted list and it has an accompanying scripted response? How dull.
No, I don't think that at all. I think there isn't much difference option-wise if you select it from a scripted list or you select it from a general list of skills.
How many options can a scripted list offer before it becomes cumbersome? Usually four... lets say six (although I've never actually seen that many). Instead of being confined in this way, a player should be able to utilize the individual skills he's aquired in the game however he sees fit. The possiblities then become virtually limitless. Everything you do becomes an option which may or may not yeild results. So agan, i'll take limitless choice over four any day.
Instead why not create a system that is prepared for general contingencies and then applies a reponse to the specific instance of your action?
Maybe this system would be more efficient programming-wise, but it's not something that couldn't be replicated within a tree. Example: you develop general options related to fortress walls. You make it so that the character can try to bash them, to climb them, to find a secret passage in them, to throw something over them (eg. ninja rope). Note that you can't really make unlimited "free choices". Then, in level design, you mark certain objects as fortress walls, and all these features will be available.
But let's do it with an "action tree". For each fortress wall on the map, you'd have to implement these features. Perhaps it would be more repetitive, but it would be more flexible. It would allow to add actions based on their particularities, your followers, and particular descriptions as well. And, after all, how many fortress trees will there be in a game?
Will it be boring to just select these options from a tree? Maybe, tho it wouldn't be much different than selecting the climb skill and clicking on the wall, or selecting attack and clicking, or throw and clicking.
Your serious? You think it would be feasible to program millions of individual instances? You also think it would be more fun to pick what you do from a short list rather then just intuitivelly trying one of the many skills you've aquired in the game?

Why not allow actions to create ripple effects that can ultimately redefine the gameworld. How can you even argue that dialogue trees offer as many options?
By setting and verifying enough variables, trees can be scripted to reflect any actions of the player, in any particular point.
They could, yes. Don't let the fact that it has never happened and never will stop you... Have you noticed your replies are becoming increasingly outlandish? Why do you think that is?

Open ended gameplay requires open ended game mechanics. Dialogue trees, in their current state, are inherently, and unnecessarily, limiting.
And in their current state, non-tree computer RPG mechanics are limiting just as well. Show me a game that a great amount of varied quests, with world-affecting consequences, accompanied by quality writing that explains these effects.
I would rather not read about the effects. I prefer to experience them. Quality writing occurs when the world changes in a logical and consistant way. Why read about it?

Many? Yeah, right. I played Ultima 4. Maybe I played it too late, but I would never put it above all the dialogue tree-based Troika / Bioware (well, BG2) RPGs .
Your probably in the minority then. That's ok. Try not to let your limited experience with the genre narrow your opinion. There is more to it then you seem to think.

Hory

Erudite
Joe Krow said:
How many options can a scripted list offer before it becomes cumbersome? Usually four... lets say six (although I've never actually seen that many). Instead of being confined in this way, a player should be able to utilize the individual skills he's aquired in the game however he sees fit. The possiblities then become virtually limitless. Everything you do becomes an option which may or may not yeild results. So agan, i'll take limitless choice over four any day.
Skills he's aquired? Every skill has to be pre-programmed, as well as how it affects particular situations. The number of skills you can try in a situation might be higher than the number of dialogue options, sure, but most of those attempts wouldn't be something a player would actually try. How many players have used "first aid" on a computer, in Fallout? Or steal, lockpick, etc?
Your serious? You think it would be feasible to program millions of individual instances? You also think it would be more fun to pick what you do from a short list rather then just intuitivelly trying one of the many skills you've aquired in the game?
I don't know exactly how much time it would take to program several individual instances, but I don't think that programming the "free form" engine would be particularly faster or easier either. No, picking from a list wouldn't be more fun - that's the biggest problem.
They could, yes. Don't let the fact that it has never happened and never will stop you... Have you noticed your replies are becoming increasingly outlandish? Why do you think that is?
It never happened because no one wanted for this to happen - an epic game played entirely through a tree-interface. But I'm working on that :).
I would rather not read about the effects. I prefer to experience them. Quality writing occurs when the world changes in a logical and consistant way. Why read about it?
Because not every event and effect can be shown without words, or will happen in your vicinity, during your lifetime, etc.
Your probably in the minority then. That's ok. Try not to let your limited experience with the genre narrow your opinion. There is more to it then you seem to think.
Not that the majority is necessarily a good model, but I don't think I'm in the minority. If you look at Top10 RPG topics on the Codex you'll see RPGs with dialogue-trees are usually above RPGs like Ultima 4.

Hory

Erudite
Joe Krow said:
Skills he's aquired? Every skill has to be pre-programmed, as well as how it affects particular situations. The number of skills you can try in a situation might be higher than the number of dialogue options, sure, but most of those attempts wouldn't be something a player would actually try. How many players have used "first aid" on a computer, in Fallout? Or steal, lockpick, etc?
I don't know exactly how much time it would take to program several individual instances, but I don't think that programming the "free form" engine would be particularly faster or easier either. No, picking from a list wouldn't be more fun - that's the biggest problem.
It never happened because no one wanted for this to happen - an epic game played entirely through a tree-interface. But I'm working on that :).
Because not every event and effect can be shown without words, or will happen in your vicinity, during your lifetime, etc.
Not that the majority is necessarily a good model, but I don't think I'm in the minority. If you look at Top10 RPG topics on the Codex you'll see RPGs with dialogue-trees are usually above RPGs like Ultima 4.

eth

Novice
Sorry for the thread necro.

I think it all boils down to what's your starting point while developing a game. If you start by thinking ok i ll make a crpg, it should have str,dex,wis,cha,int i think you re wrong
If you start by thinking ok i ll make a crpg with these minigames:
a)combat
b)crafting
and then after analyzing the combat system you realize it is so complex that you would definetely need some combat statistics then go ahead and add them.
Your article talks about the necessity of two specific statistics intelligence and charisma. However if every other rpg in the market had a much much better "talking to npcs" minigame but with a combat system like that:
Code:
if (str > 14) "You kill the rat"
else "You re dead, Reload?"
we would be here talking about the necessity of the strength statistic. Such a market would be defined by adventure/rpg hybrids instead of the action/rpg hybrids we get now. But we re not there, we re onto the action/rpgs now. Why? Cause every crpg out there has a combat system which at least is decent or in the worst case its totally flawed but has "evolutionary feature X" which Y developer can take and put it to his action game cause its really worth it.

There were times that while playing a crpg i got to wonder "why this game has stats at all?" (and i want to see such a scenario of a good statless crpg). Or i come to think like "hmm if Deus Ex had a couple of attribute points which you could raise etc, no matter how little they added to the game, maybe nothing, the game itself would have a MUCH easier time being accepted as either an action/rpg or even as an rpg".

Anyway to the point: We re talking about roleplaying and if we should "force" it somehow with the use of attributes to the player. But the problem i see is that roleplaying is missing from NPCs in the first place. I mean:
* How the hell did npc A in town B knew i murdered npc C in town D when immediately after killing him i travelled from town A to town D. News travelling faster than human beings in a medival fantasy world?
* How the hell did npc A didn't had a clue at all about me murdering a neighbour npc when i didn't used a stealth approach at all and i even killed the guards that came after me yelling "murderer murderer"
* Why all these npcs tell me allways the truth and give me good things to do - where are the evil guys?
* Why don't you let me engage in combat EVERY npc in this world. Am i continuously charmed+pacified by them?
* Why this "evil" npc will engage me in combat and won't let me talk to him? Does he know who i am? How so? Does he do that often? Has he visited a psychiatrist at least? :lol:

I expect things to work like that in convertation:

Stupid do-gooder party talks with evil npc. After some time the npc realizes he is not talking with the smarter people in this world and propose them to "kill that evil necromancer in town". Of course the "evil necromancer" he is talking about is some good priest or something he wants to take care off, and after the party kills him and gets busted the guards will laugh at them when they apologize like "not our fault X told us that he was a necromancer" cause there would be no npc named like X in town.

Smart do-gooder party talks with evil npc. After some time the npc realizes he is talking with pretty smart people and decides to just let them go away.

You see here intelligence was used the other way around than the one you re saying in the article. It opens a dialog path when its low, and closes it when its high. In that manner every stat could be used to modify the dialog and the choices you get (a farmer would trust a strong party much better to do his job, than a caster heavy party or your charmy boobied elf, etc) and yes the party earlier choices should definetely add to this bunch of variables as long as the npc is aware of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom