Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any solo RPG game with the MMO Tank/DPS/Healer style ?

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
Hello,

I'm wondering if there's any solo RPG game with the MMO Tank/Damage Dealer (dps)/Healer style ?
Read "MMO" as "World of Warcraft" (WoW), although I think other MMOs used this triptych in a similar way, which means :
- the tank has to create threat to manage to keep aggro off the healer, but also the damage dealers
- the healer has to be nearly constantly healing, mostly the tank, but also the damage dealers
- against a boss, if the tank dies, the party dies
- against a boss, if the healer dies, the party dies
- against a boss, if a dps dies, the party will have a great challenge to survive
- against a boss, if 2 dps die, the party dies

I've looked for existing topics about this, and there's a game that always comes back : "Dragon Age: Origins".
So I played that game (that was a few years ago), and although I globally enjoyed it, I was very disappointed by the combat system which was very far from the WOW experience :
- tank had very limited aggro management
- healer had enough mana for only 3-5 healing spells

I played another game with a supposed Tank/DPS/Healer system : Might & Magic X. In that game, the healing had more importance, but the tank once again had almost no aggro management ; he could do only a spell to force its target to attack him for 1 round (it's a turn based game), and most bosses (if not all) were immune to that spell, so the tank was mostly useless... :-/

Anyone would know some other solo RPG games that would fit more closely to the WoW system ?

Lord Andre

Arcane
I think you will find Jagged Alliance 2 exactly what you're looking for. Knights of the Chalice might also fit the bill. Enjoy!

Oh, and if you can stomach the graphics, try XCOM - Terror from the Deep...

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Dragon Age: Inquisition is basically a singleplayer MMO with similar dynamics.

Also: Pillars of Eternity. Seriously. The healer is changed to "buffer" here, but the dynamic is all the same.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
+1 for Pillars of Eternity. The combat is boring enough that it can be easily compared to a MMO like WoW.

as for a game that is not completely boring in the combat department, maybe Wizardry 8 will fit the bill. Again, you have classes that are dedicated to their roles. And you also need to be careful about their positioning: tanks / melee in front, healers/wizards in back. Some times you will need to switch them around depending on how the enemies move. But then again most decent party-based RPGs have a system like this.

I'm not sure about the whole "against a boss, X-type character dies, party dies" thing. There are of course more challenging encounters where you will need all your party members to survive.

Also, maybe Icewind Dale.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Final Fantasy XIII. It has more variety than that and the mechanics are more interesting (you can switch classes mid-battle), but it does the Tank/DPS/Healer thing too. It infamously takes a real while to pick up though.

Renevent

Cipher
You don't play with a group (solo character) but Numen plays practically the same combat wise as a MMO. You can spec your character as a tank/dps/mage/etc and the skills/fights are very MMO-esque.

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
1st of all, thanks to everybody who answered, even if the games don't exactly match what I'm after, a lot of them are very nice suggestions for my play list ! :salute:

Lord Andre,
I checked the games and I guess you're kidding...
I didn't see much healing nor tanking in this video of Knights of the Chalice => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILdq5sF_q8I (it has a very nice early Ultima vibe, though).
I played JA1 and 1st Xcom and I don't see how a healer & tank would fit in their sequels... :)

veevoir,
"Dragon Age: Inquisition" looks awesome, but this guy is beating a boss in nightmare difficulty while using just a few potions for healing, so it doesn't really fit the bill => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-kEx-5nNQY .
I watched this video of Pillars of Eternity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg2Q5EIeN_M ; it's hard to follow, but it doesn't seem to be close of a WoW fight (ie: no aggro management).

Crooked Bee,
I watched a video and Final Fantasy XIII seems to be a strange beast ! :P
So I read a review, and it seems we control only 1 character, and the other ones are handled by the AI, so it's not exactly what I'm after...

Rivmusique & Sensuki,
Aarklash: Legacy seems to be a winner..! Or at least very close of it ; on this video, the tank heals himself a bit too much and the healer doesn't seem too busy healing, but it's pretty close => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfvnuDu71eg . And it looks spectacular so I'll give it a try soon !

Renevent,
if there's no party, we lose all the aggro management...

Siveon,
I could do almost same comment than for "Final Fantasy XIII" above... ;)

Lord Andre

Arcane
I checked the games and I guess you're kidding...
I didn't see much healing nor tanking in this video of Knights of the Chalice => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILdq5sF_q8I (it has a very nice early Ultima vibe, though).
I played JA1 and 1st Xcom and I don't see how a healer & tank would fit in their sequels... :)

You seem like a decent enough fag person, so I'll ask directly: Why on earth would you want to play something as insipid as the tank/dps/healbot system? And in single-player even, where you can't go "I'm having fun with muh friends, herp, derp".

Nekronaut

Novice
You should try Krater :

- action rpg
- top down view
- pausable combat
- threat system
- 4 Classes : Tank, Heal, rDPS, mDPS
- Active Party of 3, entire team itself can be bigger
- abilities,stats can be tweaked with implants
- Crafting system
- set in post-apocalyptic SWEDEN.
- has dungeons, some really deep and random
- characters can permanently die

The only problem i see is that each class only has few skills so theres the "not close enough to WoW" thing again. Tank Skills need to be spammed though which makes it close enough to wow again :smug:
Still, Krater was a pleasant experience and the music is really good.

pippin

4th Aarklash:Legacy reccomendation. It is really what you're looking for and it has some nice rtwp combat, if you're into that.

ManuTOO

Mana Games
Developer
Nekronaut,
yup, I checked a video and Krater seems close enough of WoW, but in a simplified way... Unfortunately, according to the comments on its Steam page, the game isn't really finished... :?

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
i think many party based crpgs can do most of what the op want except for the hyperspecifics. mights and magic, old dnd, baldurs gate, to pillarsoe all can make use of tue setup...but no single player rpgs FORCE you to use that combo because no one but you would buy it. mmos are about the spontanaeity of your comrades working in simple but numerous systems, and single player games (hopefully) try to give players agency to try different approaches. the reason the setup is common in mmos is because it was already common but not mandatory in other games, both video and irl

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom