Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

asxetos

Augur
But I'll make a counter-suggestion: a spell that makes you learn everything faster, which is more fitting for a lazy person than a spell that only allows you to learn language faster. The principles behind the magic would be the same, so it would require the same effort anyway. The drawback to it is that once you begin the research, you cannot develop any new spells until it is done as it will take up all your allotted 'spell development' time.
This can work in conjunction with option A i guess?

Absinthe

Arcane
Sure why not.

I'll vote for D - A spell that makes you learn everything faster.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As long as it allows us learn everything instantly at lvl 5. :salute:

You could use it to instantly learn your enemy's spells and counter them had you picked the Demonic Eyes of Mystic Perception. :M

This can work in conjunction with option A i guess?

Option A has you devoting your time to studying the language, Option B has you devoting that same amount of time in trying to make an auto-translation spell. You also devote that same amount of time in Option D, only that it is not guaranteed to be ready by the time the next update rolls around. Option C means you don't do anything and be lazy.

So it works more in conjunction with Option C, I guess, unless you want to put a rain-check on D and start it after you learn the language by yourself.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only if you had picked the Demonic Eyes of Mystic Perception. :M
We can cast it on Rin. :M

Then she would instantly learn how to instantly teach us everything she knows. Lifehack!

Seriously, though, is it a legitimate or a troll option? I can't tell nowadays.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Seriously, though, is it a legitimate or a troll option? I can't tell nowadays.

I could troll you guys with this, but I won't. If we're gonna Gary Stu it, we should Gary Stu it in style, after all. :M:dance::M

It is a legitimate option. As I said, the drawback is that once you start down the path, you will not change it until you complete the spell. This means you lose out on the option of getting other situational spells or skills that could help you along the way.

Nevill

Arcane
If we're gonna Gary Stu it, we should Gary Stu it in style. :M
:keepmyjewgold::killitwithfire::flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw:

And here is where I discover that I still believe in the 'Dex judgement. :salute:
Because if I didn't, it would be easier to
:badnews:
right away.

asxetos

Augur
We should pick this now that there is no other research option on the table. If we postpone this i bet we will be picking the +1 SWORDS equivalents in the future...

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We should pick this now that there is no other research option on the table.

I really wouldn't say that the ability to be able to talk to your prospective minions directly doesn't count as a research option... two of them, in fact. :lol:

LWC1996

Learned
EAB.

3D seems good on the surface but it is stupid to pick it now and handicap our communication and also the opportunity to learn new things for god knows how many updates to come. It's just going to be boring.

ETA : no more Wuxiang Qiankun please.

ETAA : B>A.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
EBA
I do not trust that google translator spell. We will end up doing more work from it, because then we need to think what in the actual fuck does that translation means.

Kz3r0

Arcane
So the Evil Overlord that purfosefully unleashed the full force of his most powerful spell willingly killing a lot of innocent bystanders and perspective minions now is going to waste his time on enhancing speech and diplomacy, tsk, tsk.
Vote E guys, if they don't know exactly what we want they will go out of their way to not anger us, the moment that they will receive precise orders is the moment that they will start slacking and cut corners.

Nevill

Arcane
Hm.
You put the effort into learning the local language from scratch, getting Rin to help you
getting Rin to help you
I think this makes for a perfect trollan opportunity. Besides, getting a hot demon to help you > studying by yourself, lazyness or no lazyness. Perversion Uber Alles! :salute:

Switching to 3A>B.

Lambchop19 H>D B A>C (was also pissed at the Goddesses and Mieren's death in the initial vote)
Random Word E B B (was also pissed at the Goddesses and Kingdoms in the initial vote)
asxetos E B B>D
Nevill E B A>B (was also pissed at the Goddesses and mankind in the initial vote)
m4davis E B A
Smashing Axe H B D>B (was also pissed at the Goddesses and Kingdoms in the initial vote)
Kz3r0 E B C
Absinthe xxD>B
Azira E>G>A A D
Jester E B D>B
LWC1996 E A B>A
Elfberserker E B A
Rex Feral E B D>A
profreshinal A>C B B
lightbane E>D B A
Baltika9 E>G>D B A>D
Esquilax A>E A B
Grimgravy G B A
oscar A B D
Kipeci G>E B A
archaen A B D
ScubaV A B B>A

A - 5
E - 12
G - 2
H - 2

A - 3
B - 18

A - 8
B - 6
C - 1
D - 7

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I think this makes for a perfect trollan opportunity. Besides, getting a hot demon to help you > studying by yourself, lazyness or no lazyness. Perversion Uber Alles! :salute:
Ah but with C & D we have a perfectly good excuse to keep her around us. You never know when you need someone to translate goblin for you.

Besides, our hardworking laziness needs flexing.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
if they don't know exactly what we want they will go out of their way to not anger us, the moment that they will receive precise orders is the moment that they will start slacking and cut corners.

I think you will find that the problem is less 'they don't know exactly what you want' and more 'they don't know what you want at all'. :M

Of course, being a reclusive Overlord who only gives commands through a right-hand man and layers of minions and sits on his throne all day waiting for the hero to come bust the door down is quite traditional, so that's also fine.

Ah but with C & D we have a perfectly good excuse to keep her around us. You never know when you need someone to translate goblin for you.

Uh... why would you want someone to translate the language for you? Not to mention that she's not going to sit around doing nothing on the off chance that you might want to talk to a goblin, which you kinda don't. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Look, I am not interested in the 36-months Zhang training package, aka "let's focus on our stats and not play the actual game" option.

We are passing up not only language research, being not able to communicate with our minions and other species for an unspecified amount of time, but we also skip an unspecified number of next character development choices, for an option that will give us a character of a similar power tier in the end, because this isn't a system one can game.

This is taking choice and fun out of the game for me, and thus unacceptable.

Of course, being a reclusive Overlord who only gives commands through a right-hand man and layers of minions and sits on his throne all day waiting for the hero to come bust the door down is quite traditional, so that's also fine.
:negative:

Absinthe

Arcane
Nevill, you voted for DDC. I voted for AC. When you go for the hardworking lazy scholar character, well, this is exactly the kind of shit you do. I mean seriously:
DDC? The Slacker Pervert: You like women, you like money, you like success, but more than anything else, you like to expend effort thinking up ways to get all the lovely things you like without effort. They call you the most hardworking lazy scholar in the academy, but you prefer to think of it as minimizing effort in the long term.
I guess what I'm asking is, if this isn't your kind of thing, why didn't you just vote for something else back then?

Uh... why would you want someone to translate the language for you? Not to mention that she's not going to sit around doing nothing on the off chance that you might want to talk to a goblin, which you kinda don't. :M
In this case it's less about the translating and more about the someone.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
When you go for the hardworking lazy man character, well, this is exactly the kind of shit you do.
Well, my character isn't all about lazyness. I am not about to lie down and wait for an epilogue. I want stuff to happen, I want women to harass and choices to pick. I am against skipping content.

I dislike the 'ultimate' skills for that very reason - they narrow the players' choices if there are no strict limitations on their use.

Come to think of it, I was against 'learning to learn more quickly' in Legend, too, leaning more in favor of actual skills.

Nevill

Arcane
Because it was winning?

My vote was for AC>DC because I wanted 2C. When it became a tie between DC and DD, I switched to DDC as a compromise that would still allow me to keep the core of my character's motivation.

Also, I do not see 2D as an obstacle to the character development I want, since my preferred options of 3A/B all have hardworking laziness as justification. :M

Absinthe

Arcane
I think in terms of hardworking laziness, our priorities should go:
D (Hardworking laziness gogogo) > B (Why learn one language when I can learn them all?) > C (Always a classy overlord, plus it involves not expending any effort.) > A (Doing things the hard way.)

The way I see it, our character lives by the adage of "A lazy man will put in twice the effort to have to do half the work."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom