Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They're probably not all that strong as mages since they didn't even manage to kill a goblin after blasting her with fire and ice even after she was made into a pincushion with arrows.
The Goddesses must not be all that strong since all of their wrath put in the exploding medal didn't manage to kill a human even after he was caught off-guard. :M

I am just saying, they have managed to kill the others pretty well. And you can't count on Gigadyne to bail you out since a) you have two squishies with you who would get wiped out if you do, and b) it is the spell that summoned the raiding party to the ruins in the first place.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Taking Rin with us is just overkill and it leaves the village relatively unguarded.
Our first concern should be for our own safety, better safe than sorry, if we lose our minions we will just get others.

Esquilax

Arcane
Y'know what, I'm really digging the mad-scientist vibe that Kipeci is kind of alluding to. We've never quite played a lazy, but brilliant mad-scientist type like this. Seems like a fascinating concept, I'd like to see where it takes us. Flopping to A.

There is not a lot to think about.

- The humans are known to take goblins as slaves, as Runde's story has shown. If they managed to capture one of our minions, they will hear a tale about the Demon God's return, and then we will have a problem on our hands.
- That limits our diplomacy options, as it means the raiding party must not return back.
- However, we can't use Gigadyne to wipe them out, either, as two Ion Blasts in close succession, with one of them wiping out the scouts, is something that the local lord will consider a threat and will want to investigate with much greater resourses invested.
- The group can't vanish off the face of the earth completely, too, as it would only make the lord/whoever is in charge more curious and they will keep coming.

So the way I see it, we should wipe out most of them, capture the rest for interrogation, seek out someone willing to betray their master or simply brainwash them, and have them tell a tale of how they found nothing in the ruins but were ambushed on the way back by... I dunno, bandits, or a minotaur, or something.

I doubt these guys would be much of an ally, if only because the humanity we know is led by the Goddesses. Also, they have a history with demonkind, and it is not a very positive one:

I assume those heroes were human, given certain tensions between the races.

My guess would be that we are far away from Seven Kingdoms, since we are in a realm that Vaalgrahf was banished from. It isn't surprising that we haven't heard of them, just as Rin has never heard of this place or her ancestral history before the banishment. We are discovering a completely new world here. Well, forgotten would be a better word.

This is also why I doubt they are at odds with Seven Kingdoms, or even heard of them.

I somewhat agree, and somewhat disagree with your assessment here. First, I think that you're correct that this is likely a neutral party in some far-off land that may have never heard of the Seven Kingdoms. They are likely a neutral party.

I disagree on your assessment on how to handle it. If you don't want these guys coming back to a higher-up with intel on us, the answer isn't to take some of them out and use mind-control magic on them (then they'll start looking for an unusually powerful group of bandits), the answer is to avoid them altogether. That is, B. If you want to find more information on the situation, hopefully with some intention of diplomacy, then talk to them. Violence is a last resort here, if these guys are going to be a huge pain in the ass, then it's better to go with B.

And yes, while humans are guided by the goddesses, perhaps some humans have a longer leash than others. Perhaps some humans were banished thousands of years ago as well. We simply don't have enough information, and I think it's a mistake to start this off under the assumption that they are in league with our enemy. The Goddesses clearly have a ton of power in the Seven Kingdoms, but out here, that might not be the case.

Absinthe

Arcane
1A

Just because we didn't go necromancer doesn't mean we can't in the future. And as an angel I wouldn't be surprised if resurrection magic becomes possible for us down the road.

Nevill

Arcane
Seems like a fascinating concept, I'd like to see where it takes us.
It is fine to be a mad scientist, but I'd like to also bury our friend, first, before we do something inappropriate with the body.

I disagree on your assessment on how to handle it. If you don't want these guys coming back to a higher-up with intel on us, the answer isn't to take some of them out and use mind-control magic on them (then they'll start looking for an unusually powerful group of bandits), the answer is to avoid them altogether.
Not if they have captives with them, which they might.

They can search for an unusually powerful group of bandits for as long as they do it somewhere where we are not.

If you want to find more information on the situation, hopefully with some intention of diplomacy, then talk to them.
Of course I will. In the interrogation chambers, that is.

Kipeci

Arcane
The Goddesses must not be all that strong since all of their wrath put in the exploding medal didn't manage to kill a human even after he was caught off-guard. :M

I am just saying, they have managed to kill the others pretty well. And you can't count on Gigadyne to bail you out since a) you have two squishies with you who would get wiped out if you do, and b) it is the spell that summoned the raiding party to the ruins in the first place.

We have a lot of options between peaceful diplomatic contact and using the full fury of the sky to tear open a pit of lava underneath their feet to finish off what we haven't vaporized, and I frankly don't see the humans getting the better end of the equation in this if it comes to violence even if we refrain from Gigadyne's full might. You do remember that when we did it the last time, it was a totally over the top version using as much mana as we could muster simply to see what we could do, right? There's no need to send up a massive column of lightning for the giggles of it all every time we use the spell. Though quite frankly, I'd be fine with attracting the attentions of others; we need minions from somewhere, and they're not all going to be goblins. If they come to our general area rather than us needing to go to them, that's all the better.

Our first concern should be for our own safety, better safe than sorry, if we lose our minions we will just get others.

I can agree with that. It'd be regrettable as a loss, but if things come down to the worst then I'd be okay for using Gigadyne to nuke them at the potential cost of our companions, though at least now we can tell them to run away beforehand. It'd be a tragic cost to lose the whole village's worth of minions, though, so I'd prefer we have someone competent there to guard them and Rin is simply the best available. I just do not believe that an ad-hoc human raiding party can possibly be on par with us this early on, so I can't justify dragging Rin along.

Nevill

Arcane
I frankly don't see the humans getting the better end of the equation in this if it comes to violence even if we refrain from Gigadyne's full might. You do remember that when we did it the last time, it was a totally over the top version using as much mana as we could muster simply to see what we could do, right?
I am saying that you are overestimating our power based on one over-the-top spell we casted before, and that your logic for them being weaksauce doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

They have assembled a war party with mages. Whoever did this has money and power. Depending on how much exactly money and power they've got we might have trouble handling this.

We don't even know the numbers except that they are over thirty.

I think we can handle them, but it might cost us. In health, in minions (I want Runde alive), or in survivors fleeing the carnage to tell the tale of the Demon God's return. I don't want to take chances.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
1. A
2. A
3. A (II, III)

They are used to goblins but a demon walking out of the ruins could cause instant battle and forestall angel diplomacy. That is of course if these Humans dont idolize demon kind and hate angels for some reason.

Esquilax

Arcane
I think we can handle them, but it might cost us. In health, in minions (I want Runde alive), or in survivors fleeing the carnage to tell the tale of the Demon God's resurface. I don't want to take chances.

Then why support going after them in the first place? If you don't think it's worth it, why go? Why not observe them from a distance, as in B? I am going with A because I'd like to take a chance and see if there is potential for diplomacy here. If you don't think that there is a chance for diplomacy, why see them?

Nevill

Arcane
Then why support going after them in the first place?
Because I intend to wipe them out, duh. Unless there is a really, really convincing reason not to.

Why not observe them from a distance, as in B?
Because I don't intend to wait for them to reach the city, and even if I did, I wouldn't trust a precise job like that to a bunch of goblins.

B is preparing for a siege and waiting for them to act, reacting only once they come knocking. I don't want them to come knocking.

If you don't think that there is a chance for diplomacy, why see them?
Maybe it would be easier to answer that question if you actually read my posts. :?

It'd be a tragic cost to lose the whole village's worth of minions, though, so I'd prefer we have someone competent there to guard them and Rin is simply the best available.
What do you intend to guard the village from? The raiders are returning back, and they were only here to inspect the ruins.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Because I intend to wipe them out, duh. Unless there is a really, really convincing reason not to.

Because we don't have the manpower to take on a much bigger force if you are correct and this war party is connected to a larger Kingdom, as you speculated on. If we take out this party, and end up biting off more than we can chew, this is what we have to back us up:

Elite: 5
Spears: 40
Slings: 20

A paltry force. If this 30-strong war party with mages among them is part of a larger group, then we simply don't have the numbers to compete right now. Based on that, I think the wisest options are either (a) diplomacy or (b) bide our time and build ourselves up while remaining hidden. Now, if diplomacy goes sideways, that's one thing, but I don't think it's smart to go for the aggressive option right away here.

All they know right now is that there were a few goblins by the ruins. They were probably drawn here thanks to our spell, as you mentioned (that's speculation, but it seems reasonable), but beyond that, they know nothing. I'd say that we can stay hidden for quite some time if we wanted to.

asxetos

Augur
A. How can we not at least try?
A. Benevolent.
A I + III. Leave Runde in charge.

Nevill

Arcane
Because we don't have the manpower to take on a much bigger force if you are correct and this war party is connected to a larger Kingdom, as you speculated on.
Which is why we should avoid conflict with their Kingdom.

Which is why we should make sure they either get no information (complete wipeout, stalling their efforts), or get false information (sending a spy/traitor, stalling them some more or outright avoiding the complications).

If this 30-strong war party with mages among them is part of a larger group, then we simply don't have the numbers to compete right now.
:deadhorse:

Anyway, we'll see how it goes once we get there. But judging by how they treat goblinoids, I don't see them hugging with their 'God', so I'd rather be prepared for combat.

lightbane

Arcane
Hey bros, just a thought that I had right now: If the enemy has mages, at least one of them is bound to have anti-magic capabilities. If that's so, they can scramble our translation spell and make us unable to communicate with the goblins at best, or even leave us without magical abilities at worst. And even if they didn't, this spell is still a prototype and as such it is constantly draining more energy than it should, partially limiting our offensive spells.

That wouldn't have happened if we had spent some time studying with Rin. Moreover, perhaps our guy could have had a chance to see tits. But C&C :M.

Kipeci

Arcane
I am saying that you are overestimating our power based on one over-the-top spell we casted before, and that your logic for them being weaksauce doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

Our weaker spells are not so powerful as our strongest one, sure. When the weaker ones a full three ranks below that one can have us summon fifty lightning elementals or tornadoes, I just think that that's a bit of a powerful force for the humans to contend with. Our character was already the chosen hero, about the strongest mage that all seven human kingdoms had to offer and we've only become stronger. Now we're potentially up against whatever the local government was able to scrape up in a week to examine a strange phenomenon, and while I certainly don't think that they'll be pushovers for humans I don't think that it will be a band capable of burying us for the foolish mistake of avoiding a specific party configuration provided we don't really screw up something when we meet them, at which point we'll have more information anyway.

I don't think that the best idea is to avoid all contact with their kingdom, anyway. Yes, they push around goblins. Who wouldn't when it's essentially free experience gained from exterminating a pest? But when they see us and we tell them that we're the one that shot up that plume of lightning with our return and that the goblins are under our protection now, I think things might change a bit with there. You could argue that everyone would band together to try to destroy us, but remember that we're not (yet, at least) going around torturing people to death and enslaving them like the demon lord. We're not doing anything but existing, and they might want to avoid ruffling our feather because those armies of mages and men are expensive to replace if they piss us off and they'll want to keep their current power and influence.

On that note, I don't think that attempting to slaughter them all to a man is the best way to prevent conflict with their kingdoms. They're not going to shrug when all of their mages and other expensive guys all never come back, to say nothing if one of them is able to teleport back or otherwise get a message that there's some dark force killing all of them for no apparent reason.

What do you intend to guard the village from? The raiders are returning back, and they were only here to inspect the ruins.

It might be that there are others snooping around the area. We don't know, we only know about the humans invading the ruins because our goblins ran smack into them and one managed to escape. We don't know the scope of the human investigation-- maybe it's limited to just the ruins or maybe not, we can't say if they won't look around-- so I don't want to risk leaving the village unguarded against guys with a proven record of making them dead and enslaving them. Since the village has received us so well, I'd hate to leave them utterly vulnerable to whatever else and we've greatly weakened them already from our entry.

Nevill

Arcane
When the weaker ones a full three ranks below that one can have us summon fifty lightning elementals or tornadoes, I just think that that's a bit of a powerful force for the humans to contend with.
You are talking about maximums here.

Casting 50 lightning elementals is going to drain us just as much as Gigadyne would, and won't accomplish much more. What is the point of this mental exercise?

Yes, we are powerful. It would be good to not overestimate our power, though. I don't know how we compare against a group if we don't rely on our super-spells. 50 elementals or 50 knights - which is better and why? :)

I don't think that it will be a band capable of burying us for the foolish mistake of avoiding a specific party configuration
Ah, no. Of course not.

However, you would be locking yourself out of specific choices leading to specific outcomes. The choice of the party might limit you diplomatic or combat opportunities.

I am pushing towards my method of resolving this conundrum, while you do the same towards yours. It is fair.

if one of them is able to teleport back or otherwise get a message that there's some dark force killing all of them for no apparent reason.
I'd say venturing into the Dragon's lair is reason enough for one to get incinerated. :M

Simply put, I don't place much stock in human diplomacy.

Jester

Arbiter
1) B
We could take Death Emperor for necromancy. You can't eat cake and have a cake (unless you have spare one). Good Necromancer know when to fold, or he end up as low level adventurer exp.

2) A
Well she is quite loyal to us and mage goblin likes her. That lots of loyalty points from both. It is easy to get hireling, but much harder to get loyal hireling.

3) A I and II
Finding out what they are doing here and who are they might be good idea, especially if they aren't part of 7 kingdoms. We don't have to interact with them. Perhaps those are people who took Rhsomething prisoner and are looking for new slaves, if so they will end up in village either accidentally finding out about us, or destroying village. Expecting that we will have to kill them. Other possibility is that they are here to check on Demon Lord ruins.

As for who will go:
I. Rin
+ powerful demon with bs powers
+ tanky axe wilding dps
+ nice for eye without this whole armour
+ if things will go bad most likely to help with total wipe

- powerful demon, so people WILL react drastic if they find out with this whole thing
- not especially keen on listening to her overlord
- bit annoying usually
- if demon lord corpse is involved this will get bloody

II. Runde - weak child/adult with possibility to become mage
+ only goblin with outside world experience and can tell if he know those guys
+ smart for goblin so should be able to get what we want to do
+ stealthy? somehow he escaped imprisonment

- useless in actual combat being scholar class for now (mby he should have take levels in tribal wizard, or shaman instead?)
- hard to tell how he will fare if destruction will be answer

-/+ he is kind of valuable (who would know that scholar is actually goblin prestige class?)

III. Robust - warrior goblin
+ he knows how to handle combat
+ fanatically loyal

+/- he actually don't mind ending up in our frostball/lavaball, or whatever we will cast. He will try to MAKE people die even if over his dead body. That's what i call commitment

- Int isn't his best stat for sure.
- One eye trait decrease perception, so something might blind side him. (Loosing eye to lighting doesn't make you MTP without proper skills and overall kung-fu)

+++ Eye related jokes in update hopefully.

Leaving behind only goblin experienced in warfare ordered to prepare ambush sound like best option to me.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I am going to flop to AAAII, III

It could be good idea to leave someone powerful behind, because we don't know if some other faction is spying on us.

Esquilax

Arcane
Hey bros, just a thought that I had right now: If the enemy has mages, at least one of them is bound to have anti-magic capabilities. If that's so, they can scramble our translation spell and make us unable to communicate with the goblins at best, or even leave us without magical abilities at worst. And even if they didn't, this spell is still a prototype and as such it is constantly draining more energy than it should, partially limiting our offensive spells.

That wouldn't have happened if we had spent some time studying with Rin. Moreover, perhaps our guy could have had a chance to see tits. But C&C :M.

Well, on the other hand, if we didn't have the Universal Translation ability, could we speak to this group in the first place? Since these humans are not of the Seven Kingdoms, they could very well be speaking their own language. Without the translation spell, we may not have even had the means to speak to them in the first place.

It could be good idea to leave someone powerful behind, because we don't know if some other faction is spying on us.

I voted for this choice too, but rest assured, I am 100% sure that nobody is spying on some shithole goblin village in the middle of nowhere. However, I award you a brofist because I am proud of your fine display of completely delusional paranoia, which is a trait that all right-thinking Codex LP voters must possess. Be alert, everyone. Shulgi is around here, somewhere.

Kipeci

Arcane
You are talking about maximums here.

Casting 50 lightning elementals is going to drain us just as much as Gigadyne would, and won't accomplish much more. What is the point of this mental exercise?

Yes, we are powerful. It would be good to not overestimate our power, though. I don't know how we compare against a group if we don't rely on our super-spells. 50 elementals or 50 knights - which is better and why? :)

I wasn't under the impression that it was that draining, and we are able to moderate Gigadyne so that it's also not so bad, but I admit that we haven't really used this stuff enough to have a proper idea of it without asking for treave's help. Regardless, if we need to destroy them at least as a fighting force I don't see why moving a tornado on top of them or something wouldn't completely wreck their organization, there are more severe spells for more severe actions and more specific spells. We have spells for all sorts of situations, I think you're not giving a fair shake for us. It's already been established that powerful folks in this setting are capable of mopping up the floor with many of those who aren't, see the section where treave talked about how the Demon Lord would devastate the armies of the Seven Kingdoms were we to have lost against him. If he could do that and we had the faintest hope of measuring up to the Demon Lord, I think we should be able to handle together a band of guys slapped together in a couple weeks who may not be expecting us.

I'd say venturing into the Dragon's lair is reason enough for one to get incinerated. :M

Simply put, I don't place much stock in human diplomacy.

That's fair to say, but I don't think that wiping them all out is exactly the way to avoid conflict with their kingdoms for the moment, unless it's in some way where they figure out and decide to just crap their pants and submit which I don't think we would know ahead of time. I'm not sure if a conflict with these kingdoms is something we need to fear or not, we just need more information and I think that talking to the humans is the best way to figure it out. Personally, I would like some human minions in the very near future-- I think a goblin harem is just not going to do it for me.

Nevill

Arcane
However, I award you a brofist because I am proud of your fine display of completely delusional paranoia, which is a trait that all right-thinking Codex LP voters must possess.
As always, I am amazed by our ability to talk ourselves into a homo hobo gobbo-erotic adventure instead of pairing up with a demon princess for an ultimate Shining One/Mistress of Darkness combo.

You can't perv on gobbos. It's just... wrong. :?

That's fair to say, but I don't think that wiping them all out is exactly the way to avoid conflict with their kingdoms for the moment, unless it's in some way where they figure out and decide to just crap their pants and submit which I don't think we would know ahead of time.
If all else fails, we can come to their lord personally and tell him that we saw how Lobelia did it for the evulz.

After wiping everyone out so that no one could challenge our story, of course.

Remember folks, we are trustworthy, we have a halo!
Kz3r0 AAA I III
Nevill BAA I III
Azira BAA I II
ScubaV BAA II III
Elfberserker AAA II III
lightbane BAA I II
Esquilax AAA II III
Baltika9 AAA II III
Kipeci AAA II III
oscar BAA II III
Absinthe Axx
Quetzacoatl AAA II III
archaen AAA II III
asxetos AAA I III
Jester BAA I II
Rex Feral AAA I III
Kayerts BAA I III
Smashing Axe AAA I III
Grimgravy BAA II III
qwerty123456 AAA I III
Lambchop19 AAA I III
profreshinal AAA I III

A - 14
B - 8

A - 21

I - 12
II - 12
III - 18

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
I voted for this choice too, but rest assured, I am 100% sure that nobody is spying on some shithole goblin village in the middle of nowhere.
Well i would be more concerned if they are aware one of goblins run away. If so they might check for possible goblin ambush and we end up in "lol they have a troll demon" situation.
:)

Kipeci

Arcane
She has important business in cooking up Dark Biscuits of Delicious Treachery for once we get back, do not draw her from her womanly duties. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom