Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Flopping to BA3>BB1>BB2

On the one hand, I do want to talk to them, on the other hand killing their troops and taking them captive would enhance our negotiating position somewhat. Plus they shouldn't have killed our goblins - they need to learn that.

As a side note, the fact that the supposedly blessed potion works on goblins suggests not only that we may come from similar stock, but also that these "goddesses" may be entirely fictional.

Esquilax

Arcane
I don't see what's to be gained by parleying - what exactly do you guys think we can say to these people? You want to let them go back without their 'star' and having seen us?

Okay, well, the biggest point in favour of diplomacy is that it isn't smart to fuck with things you don't understand, which is probably what we'd be doing. We're making a lot of inferences and speculating on a number of things, and while I think that we're mostly correct, we really don't know the big picture. If we're successful and end up taking these guys out, we could end up escalating tensions between these powers, as they'll naturally assume that the other parties will be responsible for killing this expeditionary force. Even if we intend on conquering everybody and consolidating it into our Evil Empire, it would be nice if that Empire wasn't a big pile of rubble by the time we've unified it.

The second point in favour is that sometimes you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. Killing most of the men here and capturing the officers won't make them conducive to revealing what relic that they're searching for. Naturally, Rin will torture the fuck out of them and we can get information that way, but talking to them as a powerful, but friendly angel might potentially lead us to someone higher up in the chain of command (these guys will have some information, but they aren't the High Mages, who likely seem to know the big picture of what's going on) who might see us as a potential ally against the other powers. We'd be perfectly suited, since we're a complete unknown.

And thirdly:

Six High Mages can do anything. I just wonder what the Confessor-Princess is hoping to find all the way out here.”

Killing a squad of her men is no way to treat a future member of our harem.

That being said, I like BA3 better. We've got the personnel, we've got the element of surprise, and we have plausible deniability.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Now, treave, will the fact that we've used Gigadyne be obvious from far away? I'd imagine that it would look like a big bomb going off in the distance.

Depends on how much power you put into it. Still, it's rapidly becoming the only spell you guys ever bother choosing. :lol:

Depends on how much power you put into it. Still, it's rapidly becoming the only spell you guys ever bother choosing. :lol:
It's a spell that can nuke a building or strip a girl. I dont want us to rely on one spell or anything, but you have to admit, it is pretty useful.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm willing to hear any good arguments in favour of diplomacy if someone is willing to give it a shot.
It's not a very complex one.

We can kill them all and they can't do anything about it. Why not chat with them first?

Admittedly, there is a chance it can make things worse, but it can also help us learn something. There are things you don't tell your captors... unless they are good at torture, that is. :smug:

You've made it quite versatile, so we aren't finished playing with it yet. :)

We also haven't cast it on ourselves, so there might be the fourth time.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Voting B A3 providing the display is not too flashy as to draw more guys to us. I suspect the reason they are here is partially on account of our first gigadyne. Can we put up teleportation blockers that we're immune to in case the mages decide to port out?

B B3>A3>B2

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Can we put up teleportation blockers that we're immune to in case the mages decide to port out?

You don't have magic that can do that. If the six mages are capable of casting teleport, it means that each of them is individually capable of giving you some trouble in a fight.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
If the six mages are capable of casting teleport, it means that each of them is individually capable of giving you some trouble in a fight.
Why? Is it because Teleport is a rank B spell, or because it is a nasty spell?

From what was told about Mana during the character creation I think I remember that a mage can easily cast a spell that is one tier higher than their Mana Stat, and might be able to pull off a spell that is two tiers higher, or something like that.

They can't keep it up, obviously, but they might be able to make 1 or 2 castings that are above their level.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I think I go with BA2>BA3
We could use any info from interrogation, if we get any prisoners.
Even general information would be helpful since we know jack shit about mystery
kingdom.

I am kind of interested seeing how we fare without gigadyne and Wolfs should manage to make enought chaos at the beginning that it gives our melee fighters nice openings...Not that Rin particle needs help, but perhaps we could get our gobling to ride lighting wolf.
:kwafuckyeah:

Besides our little princess needs her happy bloodbath moments....Even thought using our weakest spells would serve that purpose better.

Jester

Arbiter
B A2

Just because this star thingie is interesting. Star grade armour is best armour in jrpg, if i recall correctly because space metal.

Esquilax

Arcane
Voting B A3 providing the display is not too flashy as to draw more guys to us. I suspect the reason they are here is partially on account of our first gigadyne. Can we put up teleportation blockers that we're immune to in case the mages decide to port out?

Well, even if one of these guys do have Teleportation abilities (which I doubt, as treave says that they'd need to be fairly powerful), the goal here would be to take them out before they know what hit them and before they can run off into safety. If they see us coming and are off to teleport, that means we fucked up.

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. I find that I am very much a gregarious animal and is prone to sudden bloodlust.

I don't want to talk with them anymore, or rather, I want it to be on our terms. I think we might be able to use them in our dealings with the Methussians. I am all for striking a deal where they get Barzam lands and we get the Confessor-Princess and a private nunnery for ourselves.

A bit torn about electric wolves and a more efficient spell, but I'll bet on the mages not having Teleport and on Rin making short work of whoever is left standing.

BA2>BA3.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
You know, aren't we mages? We are supposed to make the GM cry and make the martials our bitch be creative with our spells, so, why don't we open with a spell that ensures we can do both diplomacy and murdering? I'm talking about Doppleganger: We can cast it and send a clone to chat. If the party proves to be hostile, we can be remotely detonate the clone to surprise/weaken them, allowing us to start flinging lighting bolts. If they're friendly, we can remotely detonate the clone to show them who's the boss.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sure, I'll make that B3.

I'd advise against letting it get destroyed if you're actively controlling it, though.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I bet dollars to donuts that they take one look at our halo and assume it is this fallen star they are looking for. That it is permanently attached to our head might make for an interesting negotiation. They would probably want to take us back to our second harem member princess. On the other hand we brought our blood thirsty tsund-demon and us diplomacizing will probably be sabotaged. I do like the doppelganger idea so flop for me.

I vote BB3 > BAii.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I bet dollars to donuts that they take one look at our halo and assume it is this fallen star they are looking for. That it is permanently attached to our head might make for an interesting negotiation. They would probably want to take us back to our second harem member princess.
Highly probable, and leaving our mudhole for a princess with a palace fortress-monastery instead of the one who only has her tail as a dowry is tempting as fuck. :bounce:

But... the Drones gobbos need you! They look up to you! :cry:

Besides, I have developed a vengeful streak. They have killed our cats minions! Such insolence! Nobody but us decides whether those live or die! :argh:

On an unrelated note...
“Do not worry. It will be quick. Rinnefiela, Robust, you will come with me.”
...why are we calling Rin Rafaella Runykiela Ridicuella - er, some long and non-sensical name? :?

Baltika9 B B2
Kipeci B A3>A2>B2
Nevill B A2>A3
Lambchop19 B A3>B1>B2
Azira B A2
Kz3r0 B A2
oscar B B2
Tigranes B A2>A3
Grimgravy B B2
lightbane B B3
asxetos B A2
Esquilax B A3
Smashing Axe B B3>A3>B2
Elfberserker B A2>A3
Jester B A2
archaen B B3>A2
Rex Feral B A3>B3
ScubaV B A2
Quetzacoatl B B2
Storyfag B A3

B - 20

A2 - 8
A3 - 5
B2 - 4
B3 - 3

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, is there any way for us to know what our doppleganger knows? Say we send him to the citadel in our stead, can we somehow see through his eyes or communicate telepathically?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Hi guise, whats going on in this threa... OH MY GAWD, ITZ HEAVAN :bounce:

Typically, I'm late to the party and you lot managed to screw up a chance at becoming a lich lord. Oh well, at least we're a cat person. Demon. One-winged angel.

Be forewarned that I shall not be able to take part in all of the extensive Discuss! happening after each update.

B.
A3.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, is there any way for us to know what our doppleganger knows? Say we send him to the citadel in our stead, can we somehow see through his eyes or communicate telepathically?

The range is very limited. And you can't communicate telepathically with a mindless automaton. You can see through it and speak through it if you're actively controlling it by subsuming your mind into the clone, but on the other hand if it is destroyed while you're doing that, there'll be a backlash to your real body.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Final tally:

A1 - 0
A2 - 8
A3 - 5
B1 - 0
B2 - 4
B3 - 3

Post-flop:

A1 - 0
A2 - 9
A3 - 6
B1 - 0
B2 - 4
B3 - 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom