Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence development in the final stretch, release on October

Stelcio

Savant
The only question is whether or not AoD + the crawler sell enough to pay for development of our next 'full scale' RPG.

Do you see it possible for AoD to pay for another cRPG developement of this length and scale? Considering you going full time on next project, do you think you can achieve the same level of polish and detail within realistic timeframe, i.e. before the funds run out? Or maybe you don't plan to go full time? But why worry about AoD profit if it's gonna be another hobby project?

Luka-boy

Arcane
I just want this to be released on an actual Thursday.

Well, and use felipepepe's Incline trailer as the official launch trailer, but that's reaching for the stars.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Do you see it possible for AoD to pay for another cRPG developement of this length and scale? Considering you going full time on next project, do you think you can achieve the same level of polish and detail within realistic timeframe, i.e. before the funds run out? Or maybe you don't plan to go full time? But why worry about AoD profit if it's gonna be another hobby project?
We're working full time now and we want to continue as we can't spend another 10 years working on the next game, hobby or not. The main reason AoD took that long is because we worked part-time after working for 8 hours elsewhere. Working full-time, we can do the next game in 3 years, now that we have the tools and experience.

As for the sales, it's possible but too early to say.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
ITZ COMING

This glorious piece of news has me thinking - any Codexer crazy enough to do a full-on retrospective analysis of AoD's development over the many years? (Optimally after the game's final release, though there's so much data it wouldn't hurt to start now, I guess).

I don't think there's ever been a game where the whole development process has been in the open for THIS long. And it's all here, in the Codex forum archives, and on the ITZ forums. Loads of technical data, loads of design stuff (you can also bug VD and the other devs, provided they're still alive on release day). Anyone hapless enough to volunteer? +M

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
This glorious piece of news has me thinking - any Codexer crazy enough to do a full-on retrospective analysis of AoD's development over the many years? (Optimally after the game's final release, though there's so much data it wouldn't hurt to start now, I guess).

The RPG Watch news archive provides a decent potted history of the development, though some of the older links need to be found in the internet archive.

One thing I'm interested in particularly though, did you keep one source code repository history throughout the whole of development? If so, would you consider releasing the commit logs? It'd make for an interesting historical artefact I think.

Black

Arcane
ITZ COMING

I don't think there's ever been a game where the whole development process has been in the open for THIS long. And it's all here, in the Codex forum archives, and on the ITZ forums. Loads of technical data, loads of design stuff (you can also bug VD and the other devs, provided they're still alive on release day). Anyone hapless enough to volunteer? +M
Hell, we can do an AoD post-mortem on Friday.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
One thing I'm interested in particularly though, did you keep one source code repository history throughout the whole of development? If so, would you consider releasing the commit logs? It'd make for an interesting historical artefact I think.

We started using a repository a few months ago.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
We started using a repository a few months ago.

This, like, blows my mind. I mean, my little RPG engine is up to 40 odd thousand lines of code now... yours must be getting on for a quarter of a million with all your tools and such. Keeping track of what you did to fix what bug... how?

Also, don't you kind of regret not being able to rewind back to some point in 2008 and do a build, then marvel at how far things have come?

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It better because I WANT MY FUCKING SCI-FI DROPSHIP GAME!!!11!!!!!11

:x

We were supposed to get one at some point, albeit with a different premise, rather X-Comy in nature as opposed to a 'proper' cRPG. Unfortunately, that particular dream never materialised.
Let's consider it a void which - hopefully - someone, someday happens to fill.

In any case, can't bloody wait for AoD and for the work on the 'colony ship RPG' to officially begin. Godspeed, VD.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's still a dungeon crawler in between those two.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
You were probably already asked a thousands this but what setting would you guys also like to try in another crpg project?

I like Avellone idea of a near future hard sci fi thingy, with europa oceans, weird space combat etc, but then again I have a soft spot for really Howardy cliche as all hell sword and sorcery in ancient mythical times. And there is not enough of that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You were probably already asked a thousands this but what setting would you guys also like to try in another crpg project?

I like Avellone idea of a near future hard sci fi thingy, with europa oceans, weird space combat etc, but then again I have a soft spot for really Howardy cliche as all hell sword and sorcery in ancient mythical times. And there is not enough of that.
Why not sword and sorcery...IN SPACE

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Colony Ship RPG. Orphans of the Sky, Non-Stop, Generation Ship, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_ship

A generation ship, or generation starship, is a hypothetical type of interstellar ark starship that travels at sub-light speed.

Since such a ship might take centuries to thousands of years to reach even nearby stars, the original occupants of a generation ship would grow old and die, leaving their descendants to continue traveling.

FUDU

Arcane
Congrats for the Gog Agreement Vince. At the same price I suppose?
What kind of bonus on GoG do you think you can offer if there will be some?

If you buy a hundred copy's of the game, Vince will come to your house and tactfully berate you on any opinion of your choosing. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom