Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Temple+ * RELEASED *

Salk

Novice
Patron
I think your cover is already very good, Sitra Achara!

I'd say you have already a winner. :)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In the event you want an old school look, I worked these up using original module art. Let me know if you do and I'll fix up the TOEE text at the top... couldn't find that typeface anywhere, it must have been TSR in-house. I sourced it straight from a module PDF and it needs cleaning. The other typefaces are from old (1st Ed) TSR rulebooks :obviously:

Temple%2B.jpg

Temple%2B%20b.jpg

Or not. What you have looks good :)

These are Really good!! :salute:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
These are Really good!! :salute:

The illustration is signed J. Fred (Jack Fred), which was a nom de plume used by TSR staff artists at the time. As I understand , that was used when the creator hated the final piece (because it was rushed or whatever) and didn't want to take credit. Most of the artwork in the ToEE module that isn't from the earlier Hommlet material either bears that signature, or is unsigned.

Personally, I like that one and the Mother Screng and daughter portrait. My pnp days ended before the T1-4 module was released, so it's interesting to unearth some of the artwork I missed. Even if it is hastily drawn pulp trash, it still has more character than a sizable portion of the later D&D art. Seems to be getting better lately, but it's always been a mixed bag.

TSR%209147%20-%20AD%26D%20-%20The%20Temple%20of%20the%20Elemental%20Evil%283%29.bmp

Last edited:

palmito

Educated
Finally someone who is going to fix this shitty game. I hope you use co8 as a base and fix the remaining breaking bugs and compatibility issues!. I have win 10 so I will try templeplus someday and report.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is all fancy modder talk, but what does this mean for us players?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Update 02/02/2016:

As noted on our ModDB page, the first release has been postponed to March. Partly because we've added some infrastructure to help with debugging, and partly because good ol' planning fallacy :P

The good news is that the rendering overhaul is nearly complete, and as part of the process it looks like we've solved one of the long-standing limitations of ToEE...

It used to be that running the game at over 1680x1050 resulted in the following:

DSjFwnd.jpg

Whereas now that we've replaced the static fog buffer...

z9SnGws.jpg

ToEE in 1920x1080, coming soon to a temple near you!

We're not releasing builds for public consumption right now since we still have some basic bugfixing to do and known issues to take care of. We expect to have something we can call Beta by the end of the month or so, and if all goes well, release by the end of March - about one year after we started :)

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
If you're referring to content mods, the two of us are focused on the engine / tech side of things, so not from us, at least not in the near future.

Otherwise, I don't expect to stop improving Temple+ any time soon.

Edit: by engine/tech I'm also referring to stuff like new feats, better AI and new / prestige classes. Hopefully this year :)

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
You have my sword. Engine/tech improvements should always be priority over new content mods.
Partially because I don't have faith in new content, but generally because engine improvements improve the entire game + whatever you add to it.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Sorry, I thought you were kidding so I replied in kind.

You don't need visual studio, and as I said there will be an installer (and updater even). For now you just have to download the zip and exyract to the ToEE folder.

Arthandas

Liturgist
So are you still going to release it in March? If so, will it be a bundle with Co8?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
So are you still going to release it in March? If so, will it be a bundle with Co8?

Assuming the Beta goes well the official 1.0 release will be at the end of March.

As for bundling with Co8, it's pretty meaningless until we completely replace their front-end. The plan is to transfer all of its functionality to a brand new in-game Options menu, which will be part of the UI overhaul in the next major release. But other than that Temple+ is compatible with Co8, it even autodetects it and applies the updated files automatically.

Arthandas

Liturgist

Assuming the Beta goes well the official 1.0 release will be at the end of March.

As for bundling with Co8, it's pretty meaningless until we completely replace their front-end. The plan is to transfer all of its functionality to a brand new in-game Options menu, which will be part of the UI overhaul in the next major release. But other than that Temple+ is compatible with Co8, it even autodetects it and applies the updated files automatically.
Awesome, it seems this game will never stop being modded ;)

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Congrats :salute: Nice milestone for a huge pile of excellent work.

Ironically, I'm now playing the game at 1280x800, up-scaled to fullscreen with driver based anti-aliasing. I think the dx9 rendering overhaul is more amenable to supersampling at lower resolutions than the original dx8 was... details on character models really clean up nicely despite the enlargement. So characters (and relative space between) can now be reasonably large enough that you don't have a hard time clicking and targeting in a tight group. And it looks great... I'll throw some comparison screens up when I get the chance.

Aothan

Magister
that's great guys, looking forward to a quasi-official release sometime in the eventual future

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Tagteaming this with Pugmeister. He set up and is in charge of the infrastructure and handles all the hardcore graphics code and such. He should really get a lot more brofists because I couldn't have done a 1/10th of the things without him! (He doesn't give a shit about forums though...)

Last edited:

Salk

Novice
Patron
It is great Pugmeister could lend his talent to this project!

You are a fantastic duo! ;)

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Alright, release date is set to this Friday (April Fools). I shit you not :)

Currently we're doing a pass on the Installation & Update utilities, and a few last minute bugfixes.

Also, I couldn't resist :P

Aothan

Magister
I look forward to the engaging and soothing ambience of Hommlet once more

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom