Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline New King's Quest game - MASSIVE DECLINE Everything is shit

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*watches video*

No definable controls - FUCK YOU! (This killed whatever reason I might have had to buy this game.)
TotalBiscuit references Dragon's Lair - Bang! On the money! (Check top of Page 4 of this thread for details.)
How come the "woman of action" looks like Roberta Williams?
Squirrel animations are atrocious - they float across the ground!
Wow! That "woman of action" character really gets in there, doesn't she?
TB is willing to admit when he screws up - credit given where its due.
No mention of the "Odd Gentlemen stole money from one project to fund this one" scandal - how come?
TB bullshits about how "this perspective" cannot be done properly with a Kboard & Mouse controls - WTF?
TB mentions how things are "obviously" low-res, yet he lets it slide - consolefag confirmed.
If NuKQ is going to be a "standard" for how these games are going to be done - please don't let them reboot Space Quest. Let it lie. Let it die.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What he meant to say was, "I like Dragon's Lair more than King's Quest".

TheGreatOne

Arcane
"King's Quest has definitely improved upon the original"
He's one of those LucasArts fanboys (and a major decline enabler overall). King's Quest (and Sierra games in general) was bad because it wasn't "quirky", so adding the name to a QTE game (with FPS sections? WTF?) is still better than doing an actual adventure game that doesn't appeal to his ironic and LOL RANDOM hipster sensibilities. Yet he pretends to be a fan of adventure games.

Lambonius

Infamous Quests
Developer
Actually, if any current gaming personality has a right to actually criticize classic adventure games, it is someone like Yahtzee, as he's personally created some fantastic classic adventure games in AGS. One even uses a parser interface! The guy knows how to do old school adventures well. Your mileage may vary on his Zero Punctuation personality though. I think it's entertaining enough.

He's one of those LucasArts fanboys (and a major decline enabler overall). King's Quest (and Sierra games in general) was bad because it wasn't "quirky", so adding the name to a QTE game (with FPS sections? WTF?) is still better than doing an actual adventure game that doesn't appeal to his ironic and LOL RANDOM hipster sensibilities. Yet he pretends to be a fan of adventure games.

Adventure Games were not solely '90s point and click.

Lambonius

Infamous Quests
Developer
Ah yes, I should have qualified that statement further. There are some fantastic text adventures out there. I wasn't counting interactive fiction games. I'll enjoy checking this one out, thanks!

The issue is really that the law of diminishing returns applies when it comes to the streamlining of adventure game interfaces. :)

It's kinda ironic that so many worship the early '90s point and click model when even some of the original adventure game designers, like Scott Murphy, hated it.

I loved the old parser interface because I felt I could have a lot more fun with the player, including insulting them based on their input. I liked to surprise them when they thought that they'd typed something in they didn't think there would be a response to other than a canned, "I don't understand"

Here's a little tidbit about how the parser interface went away and how management worked us. One day when we're literally halfway through SQ4, Mark and I were called into Ken's office. We were asked what we thought about using the (dumbass) point-and-click interface that they were using, in I guess it was King's Quest 5 then, and what we thought about putting it in SQ4. We said we wanted to keep the parser. Ken and Bill Davis asked us to talk about it together and then tell them what we wanted to do the next day. After the meeting, Mark and I agreed without hesitation as we walked out Ken's office door that there was absolutely no way we wanted the point-and-click. The next day when we came in, Bill Davis tracked Mark down and asked him what we'd decided. Mark told him that we'd decided to keep the parser, to which Bill instantly replied something to the effect of, "But you can't do that. Ken has already decided that you have to use the point-and-click!" Apparently they figured they had a fifty percent chance that we would make the decision and wouldn't realize that they'd already made the decision for us. That kind of mentality was another straw on the pile of last ones.

But...no. If a game doesn't have an early '90s point and click style interface and hand painted backgrounds, it ain't adventure game. Fuck that Scott Murphy guy thinking point and click was 'dumbass'. Fucking hack.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
The whole issue is that Sierra parsing was *really* lame.

Of course SpaceVenture will have a nice parser and won't be a dumbass point'n'click game.

Last edited:

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Scott Murphy said:
I loved the old parser interface because I felt I could have a lot more fun with the player, including insulting them based on their input. I liked to surprise them when they thought that they'd typed something in they didn't think there would be a response to other than a canned, "I don't understand"

While everybody was sad because there was no response to LEGITIMATE QUERIES.

Lambonius

Infamous Quests
Developer
Anything pre-point-and-click gets a pass for being pre-point-and-click. Every adventure game since the point-and-click era that has tried something other than point-and-click has failed on that basis alone, including Grim Fandango. I speak with no hyperbole whatsoever. *blows Korgoth a kiss*

So, KQ1-4, SQ1-3, etc all sucked? No point and click there.
Uh, dude I think I'm one of the bigger KQ fanbois around here, but KQI and especially KQ2 are both pretty terrible. KQI mostly gets by on the fairy tale charm and general early-Sierra era goofiness, but it's remembered for kickstarting the franchise and popularity of the genre, not for being a great adventure game. I've written elsewhere on these boards (possibly in this thread? Don't remember) about why KQ2 is a terrible game and occasionally gives Mask of Eternity a run for the dubious "Worst game in franchise" (or nuKQ I guess, not playing it so have no idea).

But it's all good because we got the epic incline of KQ3 afterwards, and now we have the excellent AGDInteractive KQ2 "remake".

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I dunno, I feel like this game captures the old humor pretty well. The puns were as clever back then as they were now: not at all. Hasn't anyone here played a Sierra game before, sheesh!

That said I don't play TellTale trash so I only have video to go by. I am surprised nobody here is praising the hand-painted oil-color textures, which look great.

Jackalope

Arcane
That said I don't play TellTale trash so I only have video to go by. I am surprised nobody here is praising the hand-painted oil-color textures, which look great.

They might look great on paper, but ingame they are pretty crap. It all blends into a brown mess that reminds me more of the Fallout: New Vegas wastelands than anything else. And the models are very low-poligon, at times you look at the hands and the fingers and it is almost Escape From Monkey Island...

I finished the game. The autosave is crap, overwriting all the time, so you can't go back and try anything different. And you can't skip the cutscenes, making it even duller. Walking around the world I found myself lost in similiar-looking dull forest screens. Probably wanted to pad the time. And every time you want to cross a bridge you need to open your inventory, use an item and wait for a boring animation to end. Needless to say, there are alot of bridges in this game.

The humor wasn't for me, it was very faux Princes Bride meets Adventure time, very childish in that way adults somehow think child humor works. It just feels wrong.

The characters are way too over the top and don't work at all. Most are annoying as hell. The only likeable character might be Achaka, probably because he doesn't talk.

The puzzles are nothing great and nothing I'd expect from a good adventure game.

The only interesting thing in the overaching "plot" might be Manny, because...
...I think he's probably a goblin, perhaps filling the role of the dwarf from KQ1, who stole the shield. They don't spell it, but it's not my first adventure game. That might be interesting, I guess. Dunno if Id spend money on the next episode to find out, seems like a waste of my time.

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
It's kinda ironic that so many worship the early '90s point and click model when even some of the original adventure game designers, like Scott Murphy, hated it.

Here's a little tidbit about how the parser interface went away and how management worked us. One day when we're literally halfway through SQ4, Mark and I were called into Ken's office. We were asked what we thought about using the (dumbass) point-and-click interface that they were using, in I guess it was King's Quest 5 then, and what we thought about putting it in SQ4. We said we wanted to keep the parser. Ken and Bill Davis asked us to talk about it together and then tell them what we wanted to do the next day. After the meeting, Mark and I agreed without hesitation as we walked out Ken's office door that there was absolutely no way we wanted the point-and-click. The next day when we came in, Bill Davis tracked Mark down and asked him what we'd decided. Mark told him that we'd decided to keep the parser, to which Bill instantly replied something to the effect of, "But you can't do that. Ken has already decided that you have to use the point-and-click!" Apparently they figured they had a fifty percent chance that we would make the decision and wouldn't realize that they'd already made the decision for us. That kind of mentality was another straw on the pile of last ones.

But...no. If a game doesn't have an early '90s point and click style interface and hand painted backgrounds, it ain't adventure game. Fuck that Scott Murphy guy thinking point and click was 'dumbass'. Fucking hack.

That is pretty cool. Where is the quote from?

Alex

Arcane

I never cared enough to actually listen to one of his reviews. But his games aren't exactly quirky, or at least the ones I played. The Trilby's Notes and especially the 6 Days a Sacrifice weren't very good. But the first two games in the quadrology were kinda well made, though a bit too easy on the puzzles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom