Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Statement regarding the recent doxxing of an RPG Codex user by the Administration

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Vegas is a special case. Since the main source of profit is people making bad decisions in your establishment, it makes sense to keep them there as long as possible with free stuff and reduce their cognitive capacity with free booze.

Also, I've lived in the Kwa most of my life. I lived in Europe for a year, and while I was not in Germany, I did not find the customer service in Spain and France to be off-putting in any way.
Come to Germany, abandon all hope in human decency.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm with Jasede on this one. Customer service in Germany is pretty terrible.

Generally, I'll take US over Germany any time, but hey.

Turjan

Arcane
Also, I've lived in the Kwa most of my life. I lived in Europe for a year, and while I was not in Germany, I did not find the customer service in Spain and France to be off-putting in any way.
Germany is - special in this regard.

I've lived for 11 years in the US and most of the other time of my life in Germany. It takes some time to get back into the right mindset and remember that, if you go to a store or to an administration, that person on the other side is the enemy that will try everything in their power to keep you from getting what you want.

Last edited:

Crichton

Prophet
Germany is - special in this regard.

I've lived for 11 years in the US and most of the other time of my life in Germany. It takes some time to get back into the right mindset and remember that, if you go to a store or to an administration, that person on the other side is the enemy.

I'm an American who lived in Germany for a few years as a child and visited many parts of Europe later and I've always thought of Germans as being a friendly people (ex. when we'd just moved to Germany, my father's German wasn't so hot and he took a seat in a train car that was more expensive than the ticket he'd purchased warranted. While the ticket guy was trying to explain this to him, a random German just paid the difference between the two tickets; that doesn't happen too often over here). Now's it's true that that friendliness doesn't always seem to extend to people that aren't white and/or don't have German surnames, but within those bounds, I'd say they're actually friendlier than we are, particularly with strangers.

However, I'll admit that service in stores/restaurants might be an exception. I've found that on the average, a "service person" in Europe is noticeably older than his American equivalent, which probably doesn't help anything and most European countries seem like terrible places to be poor; a cheap house over there is a hovel and a cheap car is little more than a golf-cart. I don't think being surrounded by things you can't afford improves anyone's disposition.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I've experienced US customer service first hand and I found it awkward as hell ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"HI NICE TO SEE YOU HOW ARE YOU HEY SUCH A NICE DAY INNIT"

Woah woah calm down dude I don't wanna marry you, I'm just here to shop some stuff geez :?
I don't think this is specifically US customer service, but simply how salesmen are told to act towards a customer anywhere in the world. Whenever I want to get a pair of jeans I feel like some seedy lunatic because of that gaze drilling my back after I respond "no thanks [I don't need help]".

cincinnatus.c

Arcane
I'm an American who lived in Germany for a few years as a child and visited many parts of Europe later and I've always thought of Germans as being a friendly people (ex. when we'd just moved to Germany, my father's German wasn't so hot and he took a seat in a train car that was more expensive than the ticket he'd purchased warranted. While the ticket guy was trying to explain this to him, a random German just paid the difference between the two tickets; that doesn't happen too often over here). Now's it's true that that friendliness doesn't always seem to extend to people that aren't white and/or don't have German surnames, but within those bounds, I'd say they're actually friendlier than we are, particularly with strangers.

However, I'll admit that service in stores/restaurants might be an exception. I've found that on the average, a "service person" in Europe is noticeably older than his American equivalent, which probably doesn't help anything and most European countries seem like terrible places to be poor; a cheap house over there is a hovel and a cheap car is little more than a golf-cart. I don't think being surrounded by things you can't afford improves anyone's disposition.

I don't think that explains anything. I would rather suspect that approach to work differs markedly in US and anywhere else, probably. In Europe you work to live/pay bills, in US you live to work. What's more, in US it is a common expectation that you "give everything" on your job. "Commitment", it is called. You live to work and you're grateful you can suck a bag of dicks all day long for the glory of the company.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fair enough.

DU has apologized and understands what he did was wrong.

DU had well meaning intentions when he posted bruticis's first name but that by no means justifies the action. I'll take the meaning into account when looking to move on.

Turjan

Arcane
Now's it's true that that friendliness doesn't always seem to extend to people that aren't white and/or don't have German surnames, but within those bounds, I'd say they're actually friendlier than we are, particularly with strangers.
There sure are regional differences. In the US, people in Philadelphia and surroundings are also pretty horrible in general. The West is more friendly. The attitude to strangers is definitely very friendly there, as pretty much everyone is a stranger, or their parents were.

Same in Germany. I remember when I first moved to Berlin. The area I come from isn't the friendliest, either, but that was still something I needed to get used to.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think that explains anything. I would rather suspect that approach to work differs markedly in US and anywhere else, probably. In Europe you work to live/pay bills, in US you live to work. What's more, in US it is a common expectation that you "give everything" on your job. "Commitment", it is called. You live to work and you're grateful you can suck a bag of dicks all day long for the glory of the company.
Sounds more like Japan to me. :?

Customer service in Germany isn't that bad, just never forget that the friendlier they are the more suspicious you have to be because in most cases all they want is screw you over.

Berlin is a pretty cold place, that's for sure. Has sth to do with the no bullshit I mean business mentality of the locals though. Black Forest / rural Swabia isn't much better, despite people being much friendlier than in the north - on the surface. They stick to their little communities and hold all strangers at a distance. And good luck trying to ever become anything else than a stranger if you weren't born there.

I don't think color of skin or looking foreign has much to do with it though, maybe except for some rural areas in Eastern Germany (full of nazis and idiots who want the wall back).
Germans are kinda hard to befriend but very loyal and warm once they open up. Don't expect them to treat you like best friends if you are a stranger, don't expect lots of smiles, don't expect anything fake except for bare minimum politeness.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Ok, this was well handled DarkUnderlord, and my faith in your common sense is reaffirmed, for what it's worth. Matter is closed as far as I'm concerned. I assume the TOS/Rules update will contain a more definite rule against doxxing as well?

Unlike DU, you and certain others still don't seem to get the problem though, which I guess is cause for concern should DU kick the bucket in an unfortunate dingo-related accident and the reign of Infinitron begin in a brutal coup.

I choose to believe that most of them, Infinitron in particular, are just being edgy. It's a reaction I'd expect from 14 year olds on GameFAQs rather than (supposed) adults on the Codex.

cincinnatus.c

Arcane
Sounds more like Japan to me.
Customer service in Germany isn't that bad, just never forget that the friendlier they are the more suspicious you have to be because in most cases all they want is scew you over.

sure, it was an exaggeration on my part. Still, the level of enthusiasm that is normally expected in US (not only at work) is very different from that in Europe. Some people bitch about unfriendly Germans and some think Americans behave like clowns on meth.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just assumed they were the same person seeing how upset bruticis was.

Can admin's verify by checking IP addresses and posting?

:troll:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I read this thread and the big one.
large.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom