Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A few questions.
Aura of the Monster Chief
Your strength as a fledgling leader of monsterkind is such that it leaks into the environment and blesses all non-human creatures in your vicinity with the ability to grow stronger at a faster rate.
So, does this affect all non-humans, Rin and Lucy included?
Lucy has turned out to be remarkably strong for her age, and she should be able to pull such a cart with goods and passengers.
It was mentioned that Lucy turned out 'remarkably strong', but it is unclear whether she was that way already or if it is our Aura influencing her.

Or does the Aura only affect mooks, and the already strong characters - like Rin - don't benefit from being in our vicinity?

“But what if I didn’t make it back?”

“I would have gone and gotten you back,” she says simply. “But I knew you would be back soon.”
Sooo... Rin, too, knows Teleport, and can cast it with no less efficiency than we could? Otherwise she would not be able to fetch us... right?

Or if she doesn't know the spell, at least she can conjure up a teleportation circle.

Is there anything preventing us/her from checking with the gobbo village from time to time if we ever need to give them orders or receive a report?

There are also some holy books from the soldiers you killed – the men that belonged to the Holy Barzam Ecclesiocracy. Perhaps they would sell for the right price to the right believer.
Wait, do I get that right - the men who were supposed to pose as Methussian bandits and then Galbaldian soldiers had with them holy books specific to their religion? Some stealth operation! :lol: No wonder the former military turned bandits are less than competent themselves!

Unless, of course, the religion is common across the whole region - but then I don't get the 'right believer' part. :?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, does this affect allnon-humans, Rin and Lucy included?

Yes. But there are level caps and different leveling requirements for each race and class.

Sooo... Rin, too, knows Teleport, and can cast it with no less efficiency than we could? Otherwise she would not be able to fetch us... right?

She knows a different variant that locks onto people rather than places.

Is there anything preventing us/her from checking with the gobbo village from time to time if we ever need to give them orders or receive a report?

Nothing, really.

Unless, of course, the religion is common across the whole region

This is the case. But Erdrick doesn't know that now, does he?

Nevill

Arcane
She knows a different variant that locks onto people rather than places.
Ouch. So there is no hiding from her, since she can find us unerringly no matter where we are. That might prove... awkward.

This is the case. But Erdrick doesn't know that now, does he?
We would if we had taken the priest! :rpgcodex:

Quick, bros! Teleport back to Erise! It's not too late to grab him!!
:M
A few other questions.

What is Runde's level of comprehension of Methussian language? Actually, can our kids talk to any gobbos besides him? How does Arlin even talk to Petze, if he does at all? Forget that, how do they talk to Rin? Does she have the spell active solely for their benefit (since she can talk to anyone else without it)? Awww. :hug:

Is Methussian language different from Barzamite (Galbaldian?)? The knight we killed with our salto mortale shouted something in his language - but did the kids understand what he was talking about?

Can the kids read?

Did we at any point learn from the kids how much a silver piece actually costs? Also, the bandits seem to have some copper pieces on them. What is the math here? 1 silver = 10 coppers?
A fair share of food, wine and clothes, a heap of metal bars, some gold, more silver, and a little pile of copper coins.
How much does this whole loot cost, on average? Just want to estimate our buying capabilities.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What is Runde's level of comprehension of Methussian language?

Very basic.

How does Arlin even talk to Petze, if he does at all?

Sign language and a concerted effort to deepen human-goblin relationships.

Forget that, how do they talk to Rin? Does she have the spell active solely for their benefit (since she can talk to anyone else without it)?

You made her keep it on all the time so that it becomes second nature.

Is Methussian language different from Barzamite (Galbaldian?)? The knight we killed with our salto mortale shouted something in his language - but did the kids understand what he was talking about?

You don't know and didn't bother asking. Your translation spell takes care of everything anyway.

Can the kids read?

Yes.

Did we at any point learn from the kids how much a silver piece actually costs? Also, the bandits seem to have some copper pieces on them. What is the math here? 1 silver = 10 coppers?

1 gold = 10 silver, 1 silver = 100 copper. At least in Methuss.

How much does this whole loot cost, on average? Just want to estimate our buying capabilities.

You'll count coins in the next update. You can't estimate your buying capabilities without knowing the market value of items anyway.

Nevill

Arcane
You can't estimate your buying capabilities without knowing the market value of items anyway.
Well, I think we already have a rough estimate at least.

When Enzel asked us what do we want to get for 10 silver pieces they owed us and we said 'the cow', his reaction was 'Pfft! That's all you want?'. Seeing how a cow is usually a big deal in a rural village, I assume the value of a silver coin to be pretty high where normal goods are concerned. I would, for example, assume that a nightstay at an average inn would only cost us a few (dozens?) coppers.

Similarly, when we offered him a third of metal, which I believe amounts to ~10 swords/plates and the like, he called that mighty generous, so we have an upper limit, too.

But fair enough. I suppose we can learn all about it first-hand once we hit the city.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
When Enzel asked us what do we want to get for 10 silver pieces they owed us and we said 'the cow', his reaction was 'Pfft! That's all you want?'.

No, that was not his reaction at all. His reaction was "Why does he want a pretty cow? What does he want with a pretty cow?" and "I better not argue or bargain with a powerful mage, if he wants a pretty cow we give him a pretty cow." Not to mention that Aria set an expectation of a much higher price with her words: twenty silver to drive off bandits, but these men were trained soldiers out to assassinate the prince.

But yes, a stay at an inn, or a cheap meal would be counted in coppers. Most of their daily life transactions are conducted with just copper coins. 1 gold coin should be able to pay for a single person's food and lodging in a city for a month, if they live on a tight budget.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Soo, what now? I guess B won, which means we'll spare these idiots until we know how to recycle them, right? Although I believe treave is too busy preparing himself for tomorrow's STASIS' release to do an update.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
It was pretty much a B bandwagon.
Azira B>C
Smashing Axe B>C
Kz3r0 C
lightbane A>B>D
Nevill B
archaen B>A
Storyfag B
Absinthe D
Elfberserker B
Baltika9 B
Lambchop19 B>C
Grimgravy D>B
ScubaV B>C
Jester B
GreyViper B
Dindu Nuffins B
Tigranes B>D

A - 1
B - 13
C - 1
D - 2

ScubaV

Prophet
treave rarely updates on the weekends. It typically seems to be between 7-11 EST (GMT -5?) most weekdays.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mining Town Ontoglia

Before you leave the Great Fortunio and his surviving ten men with your painstakingly tallied haul of 3 gold, 42 silver and 407 copper coins, you provide him with some instructions:

A. He will focus on compiling information about the military forces in the area.

B. He will focus on gathering knowledge about the other bandit groups in the area.

C. He will lay low and do nothing until you have further orders for him.

D. Something else.

The slopes of the six peaks on Mount Asteronto converge in a large, rocky plateau called the Barrens, nestled deep in the center of the mountain. There lies Ontoglia. The entrances to the plateau are controlled by three gates at the base of the mountain, one to the south, and two to the east. Upon approaching the southern gate, with its zig-zagging route up the mountain, the guard takes a look at your cart and orders you to head to the merchant’s entrance at the eastern side.

There, you find a long line of carts waiting to get in. Beyond the merchant’s gate lies a huge wooden platform, wide enough to comfortably fit at least twenty carriages, if not more. Three long strips of metal lead up the steep incline, and the platform appears to be connected to those. A system of pulleys can be seen overhead, and the entire thing is linked to a strange contraption at the base of the platform. It is fairly large in size, with numerous wheels and gears, and half a dozen pipes sticking messily out from its sides. As you watch, one of the gate guards walks over to the apparatus once the platform has been fully loaded. He tinkers with it a bit, and you spy a translucent, pink crystal embedded at the center of the device. It is similar to the one that had been stabbed into Rin’s side, but significantly larger in size. The crystal begins to glow. Puffs of steam jet out from the pipes and the gears begin to turn. The platform moves, emitting an infernal chugging noise as it begins its steady climb up the mountain.

The twins and Runde stare at the scene in awe, and to your surprise, Rin too shows an interest.

Soon, it is your turn. While Arlin guides Lucy onto the platform, you chat with the guard. In between staring at your tall and eye-catching hat, he talks easily, and you learn a few interesting tidbits of information.

Firstly, that this machine is powered by magnatite: the pink crystal at its core. By releasing the fire magic stored within the crystal in a controlled manner, it heats water into steam, which in turns acts on a system of pumps and pistons that the guard isn’t entirely sure about, which then acts to pull the platform up the mountain.

Secondly, that it was constructed for Ontoglia by the famed genius inventor, Zayan, who hailed from the Royal Republic of Dijeh. It was a symbol of goodwill and friendship between Methuss and Dijeh, though you do not doubt that good contracts for ore were quietly made to willingly sweeten that friendship, as they always were.

Thirdly, that Zayan is in Ontoglia at the moment, sent on another visit from Dijeh.

And lastly, that this world is likely to be more technologically advanced than yours.

You also learn, from your fellow merchants on the way to the top, that a large lode of magnatite has been uncovered; one of the largest deposits in the past decade. A big shipment is currently being prepared for transport to Barzam, who are apparently one of the largest customers for Methussian magnatite. More interestingly, you also learn that the town’s governor is currently seeking a tutor for his daughter, who is widely regarded as the sole flower in a place full of sweaty men.

As the platform grinds to a halt at the top of the Barrens, you are greeted by the sight of Ontoglia itself.

It is a large pit dug into the earth, so deep that you cannot even see its end. According to legend, it was not dug by the hand of man, but by the Five Gods casting their adversary out of the heavens. The buildings of Ontoglia are gathered around the sides of the pit, some converted from former mining tunnels, others built on sturdy lattices supporting platforms that stretch across the empty gap. The main thoroughfare within the town is a gigantic stone bridge that spans the width of the pit, connecting one end to the other. Further down, the sides of the pit are riddled with holes, entrances that lead to the sprawling tunnel network of mines within the mountain. Ores are mined and raised vertically using devices similar to the one that had brought you to this plateau.

As you ride down the bustling and crowded bridge – Asshimar’s Finger, the locals called it – you keep an eye out for the traders and their stalls. What you have in your cart would not sell for much here, and in fact you had been informed of the regulation that you needed a trading permit to sell, and a buying permit if you wanted to purchase ore in Ontoglia. You could get both of those at the local merchant’s guildhouse, which would cost you 3 gold per permit and had to be renewed annually.

A. You purchase a trading permit: this will officially allow you to hawk your wares almost anywhere in Methuss.

B. You purchase a buying permit: this will officially allow you to import ores from Ontoglia.

C. Spending big, you splurge your money on both permits. Money is there to be spent.

D. You do not purchase any permits: your trading will not be fettered by the chains of mundane laws!

E. You tail and murder a merchant for his permit, impersonating him for your upcoming dealings in Ontoglia.

Besides that, there are several points of interest that may be worth investigating:

A. You search for more information about the reclusive and eccentric Zayan, who is said to be in the town at the moment. A genius inventor could become a valuable resource for you, given how little you know about this world and its devices.

B. You keep an ear out about the shipment of magnatite to Barzam. Perhaps, with the right crew and the right tools, you may be able to procure the valuable ore for yourself. It might also make for some interesting waves in local geo-politics, given how volatile it is from what little you have seen, if something happens to the shipment.

C. You meet with the governor and attempt to hire out your services as a tutor. You are trained as a scholar after all, albeit not one weaned on this world’s classics, but you should still manage to put up a good façade. It would be a good chance to establish connections with the local authorities, making your future endeavours easier.

D. You visit the local branch of the Adventurer's Guild. It should be a good way to tap the pulse of the town, feeling out what its inhabitants seek and what problems they face through the requests that they have on offer.

E. You do nothing. Something will happen even if you do not do anything. You just have to wait and see, and have some time off seeing the sights of the town.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Right off the bat, I want to rob that shipment, although I'm also open to just chilling.
A we have enough firepower with ourselves, Rin and the bandits; what we need is information on local patrols to rob that shipment.
A no need to import ore if we're going to steal it.
B>D

Nevill

Arcane
My plan for our newly acquired bandit troops involves them becoming a sole underground power by subduing other, lesser gangs. That way we can create a force that would be able to act from the shadows and with a degree of consistency. We would be the one who decides whether a shipment or a caravan goes through, or goes missing. That's power and influence. Therefore,
B. He will focus on gathering knowledge about the other bandit groups in the area.
They need to expand, and quickly.

Besides, the other gangs would surely see the benefits of working in a single crime syndicate instead of individually robbing the villagers, attacking random passers by, and getting scewered by armed patrols for coppers. Big organizations can do big heists, not this small-time stuff. As for those who don't... well, we don't need outright dumb minions, now do we? :obviously:

I am unsure about the permit. I am of the opinion that it would be good to have some legal cover even if we undertake some less than legal operations... especially if we undertake illegal operations. You can smuggle goods more effectively if you go through the city gates openly with some perfectly law-abiding cover story.

Besides, if we decide to rob the caravan - or infiltrate the mine, - and later questions arise as to where we got the ore, we can always say we bought it.

However, I would prefer to deal in wares. Hopefully, it would make it easier for us to later get into the capital without attracting attention of a wrong sort.
A. You purchase a trading permit: this will officially allow you to hawk your wares almost anywhere in Methuss.

All of the last options are highly attractive. A personal mad scientist! Blowing up the whole Barzam caravan and fucking them up even further! An in with the authorities, with some tits involved as a bonus!

Edit: and now there is the Adventurer's Guild, too! Maybe they have a mail delivery quest for a pigeon!

I think I'll go with
C. You meet with the governor and attempt to hire out your services as a tutor. You are trained as a scholar after all, albeit not one weaned on this world’s classics, but you should still manage to put up a good façade. It would be a good chance to establish connections with the local authorities, making your future endeavours easier.
It is perfect for a beginning smuggler and an aspiring racketeer who wants to control the region through the hands of the bandits. Much easier if the local authorities are in our pocket - and if the said authorities are in charge of one of the most important industrial cities of the Kingdom, all the better!

That could be achieved in a variety of ways - bribery, blackmail (if we find something juicy on them), hostages (the girl-in-a-sack will shine again!), or a good old corruption if we can get them something their position can not.

If we expect to leave the city with some ore, though (which is entirely possible if we get all chummy with the governor), we'd better purchase that buying permit.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
BAA

I am pretty much agreement with Nevill about first two choices, but I must regrettably pursue SCIENCE! at costs to tits+1
I want my goblin tanks dammit.

Esquilax

Arcane
This is so cool, there are so many ways that we can go with this.

But if we hit the caravan, there will no doubt be guarded by some very powerful enemies given the cargo at stake. Other bandits are unlikely to do something this dangerous, because it's akin to robbing an armored car, and I doubt that the local thugs are going to have the firepower to handle it. Best case scenario, Barzam suspects the Methussians carried out the deed and we have enough magnatite to create our very own familiar. More than likely though, since nothing ever ends up perfect (especially with Codex voting) we'll probably leave a few clues and end up pissing off this mysterious power even more than we already have along the way, assuming we're successful.

This is a more high-risk play where we go for a bold move instead of Nevill's idea of gradually building a shadowy crime syndicate. The latter might pay off a bit more in terms of giving us a better network and it could be better for us long-term though, since it's very much possible that the heist idea could be borderline suicidal even with ourselves, Rin and Fortunio's gang.

In any case, no matter what we do, buying one of the permits is a must. Trying to circumvent the law in a town like this where you have an extremely valuable resource at stake means that the local authorities aren't going to be fucking around. We aren't going to outsmart anybody that way.

Not sure what to vote for yet, will have to think about it some more.

Nevill

Arcane
Ideally, I'd like to have power to gently strong-arm Methuss into submission. Make it so that their biggest lifelines, industry and trade are all under our control, all subtle-like.

I don't want to wage war on them, but I'd like to put them in a situation where they would think they'd better leave that guy alone to do whatever he wants. After all, it would be a shame if one of the biggest magnatite lodes suddenly go up in flames. Maybe we are not that bad, since the shipments go to the neighbouring states as scheduled and the trade continues as usual...

"He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing."

Then we can have Erise and whatnot under our own rule, with no one batting an eyelid since it wouldn't be important enough to risk state suicide. Maybe get our own Youxia City for ourselves. And then, who knows? Maybe one of the princes recognizes us for what we are (the de-facto shadow ruler) and offers us a legitimacy that a throne can offer in exchange for a fraction of real power.

This, would, however, necessitate subverting the authorities until we get powerful enough to simply displace the ones loyal to Methuss for someone, ah, more convinceable.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm, you can actually buy both permits anyway. I'll edit the choice.

Baltika9

Arcane
"He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing."
We'd have to do something about their angel first, though. If we're going to embark on that path, then we ought to keep in mind that we aren't the biggest swinging dick in the setting. Not by a long shot.

lightbane

Arcane
Yay, an update! And it's filled with lots of cool stuff, as usual! :incline:
Dijeh seems to be the mandatory dwarf/technologically-focused region of this place. Also, magnatite is truly a "do-everything" power source. It probably has radioactive emissions that are lethal to long-term exposure, but that's a minor concern :M. Also, good to see that Erd's magnificent hat is already working.

Anyway, my votes:

1:B. I believe the so-called Bandit King would work best at learning as much as he can about the other bandit groups. It should be an easy task for him if he considers himself the Bandit King, after all.
2:B. We came here for the ore. We'll figure out something later for the other stuff.
3:D>C>A. Visiting the Adventurer's Guild should help us learn about what possible adversaries we'll have to face in the future, along with nearby dungeons with monsters that can be exterminated/recruited. After that, tits are life, thus it's natural Erd is attracted to them. Granted, he won't get any, but that doesn't stop him from trying. :troll:
Besides, I would like to see our companions' reaction. Next after that, Lastly, I don't mind interviewing/kidnapping that mad scientist, I'm sure he will have tons of interesting stuff to say.

That plan some Codexers are considering of stealing the shipment is interesting, but we still have to go to the capital, so we won't be able to do this immediately anyway. Besides, I would advice that we wait a while to know more about the locals before starting to employ dirty tactics (for not to mention the fact that for now we don't have competent underlings nor a safe place to hide the ore anyway).

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Hm, you can actually buy both permits anyway. I'll edit the choice.
I'll bite. If we pull off something big, we can make much more than we would spend here.
C. Spending big, you splurge your money on both permits. Money is there to be spent.

treave, does the information in the first choice have any immediate influence on our actions in the city, or does it involve planning for the future? For example, Baltika suggested learning about caravan guards, and the Adventurer's Guild might have contracts on some of the local bandits, besides Fortunio, that is. Would our men learn enough to make a difference here, or is that a separate choice for now?

We'd have to do something about their angel first, though. If we're going to embark on that path, then we ought to keep in mind that we aren't the biggest swinging dick in the setting. Not by a long shot.
That's why I avoid a direct confrontation, and choose a more gradual approach.

Paul Muad'Dib couldn't take on the whole galaxy by himself, but he could destroy spice, and that was enough to cow the Guild into submission.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
B. for bandit army.
A. we only need to sell, we will procure ore by other means.
C > B. an extra female or ore + geopolitics? hmmm.

Nevill

Arcane
A. we only need to sell, we will procure ore by other means.
I hope no one thinks that a buying permit would actually be used for buying ore. :|

I mean, we don't even have enough money to buy a meaningful amount of it.

However, it is fine to leave it for later if we don't intend to transport ore with us.

Also, good to see that Erd's magnificent hat is already working.
Unfortunately, our hat is quickly becoming our most prominent feature that makes us easy to identify. We might be able to mask our facial features or wings, but there is no hiding that. "I work for a guy in a huge hat" is a dead giveaway of our involvement.
ggmain20120116.jpg
We need to think of something less flashy.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
We could have avoided the hat if we had the ability to cast illusion magic. Too bad Erd didn't manage to learn illusion magic yet. I wonder what was the reason for not doing so immediately. :M
Now seriously, once we can cast illusion/polymorph magic, Erd should keep wearing extravagant accessories anyway so that it becomes a running gag. I'm sure we'll make it harder to identify him if he keeps swapping hats every-time he goes out. +M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Y
1:D. I believe the so-called Bandit King would work best at learning as much as he can about the other bandit groups. It should be an easy task for him if he considers himself the Bandit King, after all. Also, to avoid suspicion, he should keep raiding caravans, but not those of Erise Village (all others are fair game though, especially those from Methuss).

A bit hard for him to keep up the raids after Rin killed the majority of his men. In all choices he'll still raid the occasional caravan as he needs for supplies, but not be overly active.

I'll bite. If we pull off something big, we can make much more than we would spend here.

You would also not have enough money to spend on something for Rin or Aria if you buy both permits. :M

treave, does the information in the first choice has any immediate influence on our actions in the city, or does it involve planning for the future? For example, Baltika suggested learning about caravan guards, and the Adventurer's Guild might have contracts on some of the local bandits, besides Fortunio, that is. Would our men learn enough to make a difference here, or is that a separate choice for now?

It will not influence your immediate choices in Ontoglia. You do not expect to collect a report until after you are done with the town, at any rate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom