Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Baltika9

Arcane
I've sat on it for a while and here's what I think: this is another OPP, Other People's Problem.
I don't trust the chick. It is compeltely possible that she's telling the truth, but I don't want to do anything until we find out the facts here. Maybe she's a very good con artist and is taking the gullible foreigner for a ride.
“That makes me very curious indeed. You bear the smell of an inhuman monster. That rules out Barzam. You could be the alleged angel working for Methuss, but I find it hard to believe a dreaded weapon of war would be fishing for rumours in a tavern. You might be Galbaldian, but I doubt it for a very important reason.”

“Oh? Why is that?” You turn around, looking at the person that has accosted you. It is a woman – probably, it is hard to make out under the dimming light, and you had been unfortunately fooled before – with messy brown hair underneath that hood, and a pair of round quartz lenses perched on her nose. The quartz is smoked and dark, rendering you unable to see her eyes. Still, she does not seem – again, you had been unfortunately fooled before – to look older than thirty.

“When you were talking to that miner at the bar. I heard you speak in fluent Dijehnese, while he responded normally in Methussian… as if he was hearing you speaking his language. That is very curious indeed.” A cat-like grin spreads across her face. “That effect is not from any existing spell that I am aware of, and Galbaldian muscle-head agents do not have that sort of mastery over magic. Now, of the major powers, that leaves Byarlant, but I am rather certain you are not with them. Their spies would be less obvious, though of course they would not escape my eyes all the same. Does this analysis satisfy you?” She finishes with a labored sigh, as if being forced to repeat the obvious to an ignorant child.
She comes off more like a street-smart urchin, which could be useful if we bail her out, actually; a street-smart rogue versed in the local customs would be very useful indeed, at the risk of ditching us at the first sign of trouble. But I want to play this smart, we're not in a rush right now and I find the musings of 'lol let's take over the town right nao' kinda silly when we don't know the first thing about the world, to be honest.

Therefore, I'm voting A.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
After reconsidering (bloody mood-swings of mine), I'll switch my votes to B>A because it seems more fun that way (although so far the voting results are pretty much sealed by now).

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's 6 for B and 7 for C, which I would consider to be pretty close.

However, one direct consequence of not killing the men I can see is that they will issue an arrest warrant right away, and our twins and gobbo will likely be captured by the city guards, since we are not around. They would try to make us comply with their schemes, and they don't really know what they are dealing with, so it should seem like a good idea to them.

I am fairly confident in our ability to level this whole city down if need be, so I am not particularly worried. However, it would be good if we could avoid making too big of a wave here.

Baltika9

Arcane
lHowever, one direct consequence of not killing the men I can see is that they will issue an arrest warrant right away, and our twins and gobbo will likely be captured by the city guards, since we are not around. They would try to make us comply with their schemes, and they don't really know what they are dealing with, so it should seem like a good idea to them.
That is, if they actually have schemes and the beastwomqn is what she says she is, which I doubt. This whole setup sinks: first, she waits until we're in a dark alley, then she pulls out her analysis of our character, which is pretty spot on, then the city guard shows up and she immediately says 'thanks for having my back bro.' That's suspect as fuck.
Maybe the guvna is a scheming union boys, or maybe he's just a conscientious official who ordered the imprisonment of an actual charlatan who came to his city and impersonated a famed inventor. Either could be true but we don't know for sure, so let's just wait and see, guys. Why are we rushing to pick sides right now?
We're literally under no obligation to help her right now.

Nevill

Arcane
That is, if they actually have schemes and the beastwomqn is what she says she is, which I doubt. This whole setup sinks: first, she waits until we're in a dark alley, then she pulls out her analysis of our character, which is pretty spot on, then the city guard shows up and she immediately says 'thanks for having my back bro.' That's suspect as fuck.
I don't doubt it as much as you do.

She has to be from Dijeh to catch the inconsistency in our spell, and her analysis is, as you said, pretty spot-on, suggesting certain intellectual qualities. Her insufferable nature fits the profile, too.

And of course she waits until you go into a dark alley - you command attention wherever you go, and that is the last things she wants now - for whatever reason. There is nothing suspicious about that.

Maybe the guvna is a scheming union boys, or maybe he's just a conscientious official who ordered the imprisonment of an actual charlatan who came to his city and impersonated a famed inventor.
Several things don't connect here. First, these guards are the ones who act like shady types. They have waited until you are alone in a dark alley before springing their trap. They want it done quietly. That is not a behaviour of those who act with the backing of the law behind them.

Second, why a charlatan would bother the governor so much he would put a bounty on her head and put her on the 'most wanted' list? A regular crook would only present a danger to the wallets of the citizens, not personally to the governor.

There is no doubt in my mind that she is connected to the scientist in one way or another, as only he could get the governor riled up that much.

We're literally under no obligation to help her right now.
No, we are not. And it doesn't look like they would kill her, either. However, I have a nagging feeling the governor wants to keep the matter under a rug, and that might pose a problem with the 'not picking sides' approach.

After all, he doesn't know we can't be silenced through force. :M

Last edited:

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Either B or C are okay.

I just like B because who doesn't love thrilling chase scenes, and imagine if we flee underground and we're alone in the dark in a small tight place deep in the earth with a real live female women. Maybe she will ask us to go spelunking deep inside her own small tight tunnels? If you know what I mean!

However, one direct consequence of not killing the men I can see is that they will issue an arrest warrant right away, and our twins and gobbo will likely be captured by the city guards, since we are not around.

Rin can teleport to people she knows, right? She has a decent chance of getting to them and shepherding them away.

Nevill

Arcane
Wouldn't be much of a chase scene, what with the Invisibility spell at the ready. :)

Rin can teleport to people she knows, right? She has a decent chance of getting to them and shepherding them away.
I doubt it works exactly like that... we'll see. In any case, I'm not worried about them, as taking our guys prisoners is much more perilous to the one attempting it than just never catching them in the first place.
Might be time to make another statement, I suppose. :M
Well, the governor has a daughter and I still insist on meeting her. It's just that we will be turoring her on how to behave in a hostage situation.

And if the governor doesn't value her enough to be swayed, it's all for the better, since we can then keep her. :M

Taking the prettiest maiden from every town we visit should become our Modus Operandi.

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
Hmm what would Ean or Jing do? Probably B so that rules that out. I like the idea of interrogating Zayan in C so let's do that. C

Nevill

Arcane
If at some point we turn down becoming a physical representation of a God on the basis that "that's what Jing would have done", I am going on one of my rants again. :M

Last edited:

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Strange. Usually we easily have 20 people voting in a day.
Of the regulars, Esquilax, ScubaV, Rex Feral, Kayerts, profreshinal, appear to be missing.
Of the semi-regulars, Quetzacoatl, Absinthe, FrankHamilton and Tigranes.

CYOAs are now confined to their own special ghetto like a pack of niggers or jews.

The reality is that subforums are another layer and have reduced visibility compared to main forums, and some people are only apt to browse what they see on the surface in main forums. Relegating CYOAs to a subforum will probably shave a bit of the readership of all CYOAs as time progresses.

Baltika9

Arcane
Several things don't connect here. First, these guards are the ones who act like shady types. They have waited until you are alone in a dark alley before springing their trap. They want it done quietly. That is not a behaviour of those who act with the backing of the law behind them.

Second, why a charlatan would bother the governor so much he would put a bounty on her head and put her on the 'most wanted' list? A regular crook would only present a danger to the wallets of the citizens, not personally to the governor.
I went over it again and they aren't approaching us. In fact, they weren't even in the alleyway because of us, but because of Zoyan. All they want from us is to either help or GTFO. As for why a governor would place a bounty on a charlatan's head, the most likely answer is that she could have tried selling him defective or fake merchandise. That's what con artists do, so I can totally see him reacting this way.

Nevill

Arcane
"Us" means us with Zayan. And yes, they knew it was her, they followed her, and they have waited until she was in a deserted location. Which was my argument, and I don't see you contradicting it.

They are acting like some clandestine organization, not like law enforcers, which makes me think there is a scheme.

As for why a governor would place a bounty on a charlatan's head, the most likely answer is that she could have tried selling him defective or fake merchandise.
Sure, but did she claim to be Zayan or not? You seemed to imply she was impersonating him (?) (which I found implausible for a number of reasons), and now you are saying it is something unrelated and that she is some kind of merchant.

Unlimately, I think that your version of events is not very likely. Why would a governor deal with some nobody from Dijeh? Why is there a rumor that Zayan came to finish the machine, and why people are saying now that he (?) left town?

There could be defective merchandise involved, but even if so, I believe the motive for it would be different.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
"Us" means us with Zayan. And yes, they knew it was her, they followed her, and they have waited until she was in a deserted location. Which was my argument, and I don't see you contradicting it.
You originally said that they waited for 'you' to be in the alleyway, which I understood as 'they were waiting for us, Erdrick Mercant.'
It's not that strange that they confronted her in an alley, considering that she's a fugitive, justified or not, from the local law and was probably hiding out the whole time.
Sure, but did she claim to be Zayan or not? You seemed to imply she was impersonating him (which I found implausible for a number of reasons), and now you are saying it is something unrelated and that she is some kind of merchant.
I don't want to speculate about things we have no information on, all I'm saying is that, if she is a con artist, then it's not unreasonable for a local governor to put a bounty on her head if she tried to swindle someone. For all we know, she might have sold him some bad ice cream and the Guvna doesn't abide that shit.

Nevill

Arcane
You originally said that they waited for 'you' to be in the alleyway, which I understood as 'they were waiting for us, Erdrick Mercant.'
Ah, sorry about that. :oops:

It's not that strange that they confronted her in an alley, considering that she's a fugitive, justified or not, from the local law and was probably hiding out the whole time.
No, it is strange. Why didn't they try to apprehend her as soon as they identified her?

Normally, police wants to confront criminals in deserted places to avoid involving civilians, but that's when those are of an 'armed and dangerous' gun-slinging variety.

I do not understand the need for secrecy if she is just a con artist.

I don't want to speculate about things we have no information on
It's a combination of several factors that leads me to suspect foul play.

In any case, I want two things out of this. 1) Zayan in our lab and 2) Governor in our pocket. If he is involved in some dirty business, he might be in a tight spot should word come out, especially considering that the city is on the verge of unrest. It seems like we will find out about it whatever path we choose.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
No, it is strange. Why didn't they try to apprehend her as soon as they identified her?

Normally, police wants to confront criminals to avoid involving civilians, but that's when those are of an 'armed and dangerous' gun-slinging variety.

I do not understand the need for secrecy if she is just a con artist.
Maybe because she's been hiding from them and they're doing what they can to catch up with her? Tracking down criminals isn't that uncommon and they've already put a bounty on her head, to make it look all official-like.

lightbane

Arcane
Whatever the outcome, it is within our best interest to run away get out of here as soon as possible, moreso if we intend to reach the capital before the rumors about "the merchant with a hat and his odd troupe" arrive first. Moreover, Erd should buy strong cologne for himself to disguise his smell, along with a collar for Runde to wear to better avoid suspicion. Hopefully the Royal Court won't have a demon somewhere as one of their guards. Otherwise, we're fucked the moment he/she spots us.

Lastly, if that girl is the real deal, Rin should take a small break to teleport her back to the Goblin Village so that she can wait for us/start working into that doomsday machine every Overlord needs. Better to be safe than sorry.

Nevill

Arcane
Whatever the outcome, it is within our best interest to run away get out of here as soon as possible, moreso if we intend to reach the capital before the rumors about "the merchant with a hat and his odd troupe" arrive first.
Nah. I think we should take our time. If there is something bad going on, I am suuure the governor wouldn't want the Prince to hear aaall about it.~ *casually plays with a signet ring*

Lastly, if that girl is the real deal, Rin should take a small break to teleport back to the Goblin village, since taking her with us to Yuria would be really stupid and dangerous.
The girl probably is not a state-wide fugitive. We may be dealing with a local initiative. But yeah, perhaps her time would be better spent in a lab than on a road.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yeah. The more I think about it, C feels like overkill. I'm also going to flop to B

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Well, yeah, when we snapped that old man's neck in Legend...

Nevill

Arcane
And when we accidentally Kozaka. But that's not the point!

The point is, if we murdered Lingshu and wrote a poem on a wall with her blood, that bitch wouldn't have betrayed and abandoned us later! Live people just complicate things too much. And we don't like complicated stuff, do we? :M

Baltika9

Arcane
Or we could, y'know, turn her in and wait until we have enough info to act on. That would solve this dilemma.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom