Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer (lol) top 100 greatest games of all times (ever)

TheGreatOne

Arcane
To think I used to look forward to buying PC Gamer...

Sc2Crwk.jpg
huJlAmT.jpg

WRf4QLx.jpg

xGHeuCJ.jpg

INZvmmS.jpg

DGNZJD4.jpg

D7i5TRo.jpg

1vWJO6F.jpg

JvXwG62.jpg

K2aKQWD.jpg

oTihL8u.jpg

shG11oK.jpg

uQT9u9B.jpg

:decline:
That list is about as retarded as the new one. There's plenty of crap that's up there just because it's new&popular/wow look at dem graphix. Alone in the Dark 2 at number 7, Space hulk at 10 while Star Control 2 is 33. Shit ton of sports/racing games but not a single Sierra adventure, fucking FURY OF THE FURRIES made the list when there's no Wizardry/Might&Magic/Pool of Radiance/Wasteland (yet LANDS OF LORE made the list). The people who wrote that list would say that Fallout 3 is a better game than the original and that Infinite is the best shooter of all time while ignoring SS1 and ranking SS2 in a low spot with out missing a beat.

Very entertaining video, although he overstates his case in a few places ("X-Files Area 51 base - interesting, Post-Apocalyptic 1984 city - not interesting!")
He has good points but the delivery is irritating as fuck, he sounds like a hyperventilating autistic teenager who's spitting his lunch through half-broken teeth braces.

Ebonsword

Arcane
That list is about as retarded as the new one. There's plenty of crap that's up there just because it's new&popular/wow look at dem graphix. Alone in the Dark 2 at number 7, Space hulk at 10 while Star Control 2 is 33. Shit ton of sports/racing games but not a single Sierra adventure, fucking FURY OF THE FURRIES made the list when there's no Wizardry/Might&Magic/Pool of Radiance/Wasteland (yet LANDS OF LORE made the list). The people who wrote that list would say that Fallout 3 is a better game than the original and that Infinite is the best shooter of all time while ignoring SS1 and ranking SS2 in a low spot with out missing a beat.

Totally agree. A "Best PC Games of All Time" list from 1994 without a single SSI Gold Box game on it is a travesty.

Venser

Erudite
Local gaming magazine did a top 250 games of all time for their 250th issue a few months ago. Even tho they are mostly focused on PC, they included console games in the list. The top 10 looked like this:

10. Doom
9. Warcraft III
8. Planescape: Torment
7. Witcher 2
6. Deus Ex
5. World of Warcraft
4. Half-Life 2
3. Portal 2
2. Civilization 2
1. Dark Souls

Last edited:
Usual gaming journalism... look at the 1001 Video Games You Should Play Before You Die book:

CSHjajJ.jpg

"I'm looking for my GECK, a middle-aged water chip, have you seen it?"

I...don't even...how do you mess up this bad? It's not even like the description doesn't match the title (I'm assuming the entry is supposed to be for FO1), which could be a case of a typo or lack of attention...is this a mashup of the two synopses on Wikipedia's article on the series? They couldn't even copypaste correctly? :prosper:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What you expect from the guys that managed to list 1001 games without mentioning a single King's Quest, Space Quest, Gold Box, Wizardry or Might & Magic game? FFS, not even Ultima IV made the cut.

From this you can see you're dealing with a bunch of journos who's only contact with pre-95 games is through consoles or wikipedia...

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
When will they realize that you can't make a generic "best computer game" list anymore. It should be a list for each genre, and even that would be silly for certain complex genres like RPGs. Should be subgenre to have any meaning.

I mean, even comparing BG to Wizardry is stupid, now add in half-life or flight simulator and what you have is just a waste of time.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
New PC Game top 100 games of THREE DECADES of PC gaming comes along this July 2016

Disgraceful number one, leaped 41 places from last year, yes FOURTY-ONE PLACES. Everyone knows Witcher series is complete trash but somehow some Codex members must have infiltrated the PC Gamer panel of Ultimate Wisdom.

Why is Witcher 3 the best game of all time?

Let Tom S explain:
"I am not a fan of the combat and your trusty horse isn't built to handle the complex terrain. Fortunately these problems can be avoided by shifting down to easier difficulties and running everywhere"

Angus:

"it's the most convincing place of any open world video game. Somehow in among the genre defining quests, rigging faces and mo-capping swordplay, CD Projekt Red had the time to model its terrain as if real geographical process"

Puke

More proof that Codex have infiltrated the PC Gamer is number two of all time games - of the LAST THREE DECADES

Dark Souls - wtf is going on? Up FIFTY SEVEN PLACES.

Shaun:

"I have played, completed and forgotten many games but completing this one feels like a milestone in my life"

James:

"In 20 years it will play as good as it always has, an artifact that will revere until the fire fades"

3. Half Life 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Dishonoured (now I know they must have been drunk)
6. Metal Gear Solid V
7. Portal
8. Rocket League (now I know PC Gamer are trolling the entire population of PC Gamers)
9. GTA V
10. Skyrim (finally a bit of reality hits these guys.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Portal aside, every single game from 3-10 is extremely overrated and/or a poor sequel / spiritual successor to much better games.

Fuck these people.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
"Best games" lists really say very little about the games included in it, but they say a lot about the people making the list.

pippin

"Best games" lists really say very little about the games included in it, but they say a lot about the people making the list.

They are just one more cog in the marketing machine, so it's nothing really new.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So,made a tweet about this and a PC gamer journo came to explain it:

So they simply go "what games would you recommend to your friends?" And that's why crap like Rocket League makes the top 10. Because of course these people would never think anything pre-2000's is fun or should be played by their buddies... SMHUPs? Hardcore Roguelikes? Blobbers? Something like Thief, System Shock 2 or Fallout 1? Bleh, who plays those...

This list is like asking a movie critic for a the best movies of all time and getting this:
  1. Avatar
  2. Titanic
  3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  4. Jurassic World
  5. The Avengers
  6. Furious 7
  7. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
  9. Frozen
  10. Iron Man 3
Only good thing about this list is that it shows not even BioWare shills who add fucking Dragon Age 2 to a "best of all time" list think DA:Inquisition was good.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
LoL @ games journos and clickbait top lists. They even divided the list into subpages for more clicks, so I only bothered to check the top 10 (as most people did, probably).

But hey, at least no Bioshock in top 10, that counts for something in my eyes.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The last "best games of all time" list I'd recommend to people was made 20 years ago, by people that knew what they were doing.

Something that can safely be said never applied to the people at PC Gamer.

Would it be asking too much to ask people to stop linking to PC Gamer articles?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
So,made a tweet about this and a PC gamer journo came to explain it:

So they simply go "what games would you recommend to your friends?" And that's why crap like Rocket League makes the top 10. Because of course these people would never think anything pre-2000's is fun or should be played by their buddies... SMHUPs? Hardcore Roguelikes? Blobbers? Something like Thief, System Shock 2 or Fallout 1? Bleh, who plays those...

This list is like asking a movie critic for a the best movies of all time and getting this:
  1. Avatar
  2. Titanic
  4. Jurassic World
  5. The Avengers
  6. Furious 7
  9. Frozen
  10. Iron Man 3
Only good thing about this list is that it shows not even BioWare shills who add fucking Dragon Age 2 to a "best of all time" list think DA:Inquisition was good.

Hey felipepepe you wouldnt want your friends to have to endure those ugly graphics and not fun enough gameplay of the pre 2000 games, right? They might look at you and be like "Man, you want me to play what?"

Riskbreaker

Eh, that can mean only two things: latest Bioshock more than a couple of years old, and there is no signs of new one being released only time soon (thus no reasons to hype it by putting its predecessors among top 10 "bestest best PC gaems evar").
These PC Gamer lists oft follow a very simple logic indeed, as far as inclusion of certain games and their high or low placement on teh list goes.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Eh, that can mean only two things: latest Bioshock more than a couple of years old, and there is no signs of new one being released only time soon (thus no reasons to hype it by putting its predecessors among top 10 "bestest best PC gaems evar").
These PC Gamer lists oft follow a very simple logic indeed, as far as inclusion of certain games and their high or low placement on teh list goes.

Bioshock Infinite 58th best game EVAR!

"This Intelligent and Ambitious game is many things, but one of the is simply a thumpingly good FPS..The battle on Comstock's airship is one of the most exciting intense and exhausting I've ever had in singleplayer"

"The dreamlike feel of Infinite's gorgeous environemnts makes for some of the most effective world building I've ever seen in any game"

Bioshock 17th best game EVER! (last time 3)

"It combined so many things so well, horror, action, exploration and story, not to mention giving us so many different options for combat and character building".

11. Kerbal Space Program (last time 17)
12. DOTA 2 (last time 18)
13. Deux Ex (last time 8)
14. Eve Online (last time 26)
15 Spelunky (last time 24)
16 Alien Isolation (last time 19)
17 Bioshock (last time 3)
18 Mass Effect (last time 49)

"Mass Effect overturned two genres at the same time. Thanks to BioWare every action game is now an RPG and every RPG is now an action game"

19 XCOM 2 (New Entry)
20 Team Fortress 2 (last time 4)

Seems good enough reason to boycott BIoWare for EVER. I wonder if my cynicism has worsened over this last year regarding these important comments from PC Gamer journalists in this issue or has the standard of journalists hit the depths of hell?

tormund

Arcane
On the other hand, Mass Effect 2 is almost always in Top 10 or somewhere near (not just on PC Gamer, but also on lists made by RPS, IGN and the rest).
You could argue that it is there due to new ME game coming out... but as I've said, it seems like it is always taking top spots in these lists.
I guess it's one of those games that journos legit, honestly adore (for whatever reason).

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
  1. Avatar
  2. Titanic
  4. Jurassic World
  5. The Avengers
  6. Furious 7
  9. Frozen
  10. Iron Man 3

Nah, they always put The Godfather somewhere in the top 3 so the list looks legit.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
PC Gamer UK at least used to have a top 5 list of the best games in every genre included at the back-pages of every magazine. For a reference point, I looked up one magazine from 2000 to check out what they liked at that time. Red Alert 2 was at the magazine cover, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force was the game of the month with a 92% review score, same as Red Alert 2, with Sacrifice also being rewarded a nice 90% score and Age of Empires 2: Conquerors and Cleopatra and getting 86% and 84% respectively. There was also a whole bunch of review scores ranging from 20% to 60%, which I guess you don't see much nowadays. There was an article about horror in games which praised Return to the Cathedral (from Thief: The Dark Project, duh) as the scariest level ever created. They re-reviewed some older games, giving Dungeon Keeper 2 the score of 80%, Unreal Tournament 91% and the first Quake 75%. There was also a page for reader reviews, where some wimp gave Soldier of Fortune a score of 36% (original score 86%) and some moron thought that VtM: Redemption was a 96% game (rated 70% originally).

Anyway, here's a couple of the top 5 lists found at the back (it should be noted that the magazine didn't exist until 1993, so games from before that are not in save for one or two exceptions):

FPS:
1. Half-Life (96%)
2. Quake II (96%)
3. Aliens vs. Predator (90%)
4. Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (92%)
5. Delta Force 2 (86%)

Action Strategy:
1. Hidden & Dangerous (93%)
2. Sacrifice (90%)
3. Battlezone 2 (93%)
4. SWAT 3 (91%)
5. Abomination (89%)

RTS:
1. Shogun: Total War (92%)
2. Earth 2150 (91%)
3. C&C2: Red Alert 2 (92%)
4. Ground Control (87%)
5. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (90%)

TBS:

1. Civilization: Call to Power (92%)
2. Alpha Centauri (91%)
3. X-COM: Apocalypse (93%)
4. Age of Wonders (87%)
5. Star Trek: Birth of the Federation (88%)

Action Adventure:

1. Thief II: The Metal Age (89%)
2. Outcast (90%)
3. MDK 2 (88%)
4. Urban Chaos (88%)
5. Indiana Jones / Infernal Machine (91%)

Adventure:

1. Monkey Island trilogy (94%)
2. Grim Fandango (95%)
3. Sam & Max Hit the Road (93%)
4. Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror (88%)
5. Day of the Tentacle (90%)

RPG:

1. Deus Ex (95%)
2. System Shock 2 (92%)
3. Baldur's Gate (89%)
4. Diablo II (90%)
5. Final Fantasy VIII (92%)

All in all, it's a mixed bag. Pretty much all of the #1 games are undisputable classics of their own genre, but going further down the lists it gets a bit weird, with some garbage (FFVIII), some strange omissions (the Rainbow Six games, non-LucasArts adventure games in general), and just some plain weird choices (Birth of the Federation). You might notice that three games from the very same issue can be found on these lists (RA2, Sacrifice, Elite Force), so there's probably a lack of perspective in there, if not outright bias towards newer games. The genre definitions are also a bit iffy (action strategy, DX and SS2 topping the RPG list...), but I guess that kind of stuff is inevitable if you want to make strict genre-based lists and still include all the best games.

Of course AAA gaming still hadn't completely devolved into shit in 2000, so making up terrible lists was harder back then, but just looking at some of those titles makes it once again obvious how hard the decline has struck.

Last edited:

Lunac

Arcane
PC Gamer UK at least used to have a top 5 list of the best games in every genre included at the back-pages of every magazine. For a reference point, I looked up one magazine from 2000 to check out what they liked at that time. Red Alert 2 was at the magazine cover, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force was the game of the month with a 92% review score, same as Red Alert 2, with Sacrifice also being rewarded a nice 90% score and Age of Empires 2: Conquerors and Cleopatra and getting 86% and 84% respectively. There was also a whole bunch of review scores ranging from 20% to 60%, which I guess you don't see much nowadays. There was an article about horror in games which praised Return to the Cathedral (from Thief: The Dark Project, duh) as the scariest level ever created. They re-reviewed some older games, giving Dungeon Keeper 2 the score of 80%, Unreal Tournament 91% and the first Quake 75%. There was also a page for reader reviews, where some wimp gave Soldier of Fortune a score of 36% (original score 86%) and some moron thought that VtM: Redemption was a 96% game (rated 70% originally).

Anyway, here's a couple of the top 5 lists found at the back (it should be noted that the magazine didn't exist until 1993, so games from before that are not in save for one or two exceptions):

FPS:
1. Half-Life (96%)
2. Quake II (96%)
3. Aliens vs. Predator (90%)
4. Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (92%)
5. Delta Force 2 (86%)

Action Strategy:
1. Hidden & Dangerous (93%)
2. Sacrifice (90%)
3. Battlezone 2 (93%)
4. SWAT 3 (91%)
5. Abomination (89%)

RTS:
1. Shogun: Total War (92%)
2. Earth 2150 (91%)
3. C&C2: Red Alert 2 (92%)
4. Ground Control (87%)
5. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (90%)

TBS:

1. Civilization: Call to Power (92%)
2. Alpha Centauri (91%)
3. X-COM: Apocalypse (93%)
4. Age of Wonders (87%)
5. Star Trek: Birth of the Federation (88%)

Action Adventure:

1. Thief II: The Metal Age (89%)
2. Outcast (90%)
3. MDK 2 (88%)
4. Urban Chaos (88%)
5. Indiana Jones / Infernal Machine (91%)

Adventure:

1. Monkey Island trilogy (94%)
2. Grim Fandango (95%)
3. Sam & Max Hit the Road (93%)
4. Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror (88%)
5. Day of the Tentacle (90%)

RPG:

1. Deus Ex (95%)
2. System Shock 2 (92%)
3. Baldur's Gate (89%)
4. Diablo II (90%)
5. Final Fantasy VIII (92%)

All in all, it's a mixed bag. Pretty much all of the #1 games are undisputable classics of their own genre, but going further down the lists it gets a bit weird, with some garbage (FFVIII), some strange omissions (the Rainbow Six games, non-LucasArts adventure games in general), and just some plain weird choices (Birth of the Federation). You might notice that three games from the very same issue can be found on these lists (RA2, Sacrifice, Elite Force), so there's probably a lack of perspective in there, if not outright bias towards newer games. The genre definitions are also a bit iffy (action strategy, DX and SS2 topping the RPG list...), but I guess that kind of stuff is inevitable if you want to make strict genre-based lists and still include all the best games.

Of course AAA gaming still hadn't completely devolved into shit in 2000, so making up terrible lists was harder back then, but just looking at some of those titles makes it once again obvious how hard the decline has struck.

ST Birth of the Federation is not weird. Pretty solid TBS game, a buggy one though. Would love to see it in GOG.

Interestingly, half the RTS games are old skool top down classics known today and a mix of now forgotten almost tech-demoish "LOOK EVERYTHING IS 3D IN A RTS GAME!!!! LOOK!111!!!!" trend that started in early 00s and murdered the RTS genre really.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Their FPS list is downright garbage. I like the original Half Life, but #1? Give me a break. Quake II is eyerolling, and after that it's pretty much just a couple of random games from 1990-early 2000.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom