Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

lightbane

Arcane
I see. Would B allow Erd to have Rin teleport Zayan to the goblin village as well, or at least leave her somewhere safe? It seems with A the implication is that we leave to never return in the immediate future. Either way, I'll switch to B.

That reminds me: Which limitations does Rin's teleport spell have? It would be good that once her trust level increases considerably, she lets us see her magic spells/special skills in order to trade abilities and spells between each other (if only to check if Erd's wings can also be used to turn into weaponry/tentacles).

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It appears to be a high risk choice, so if we want everything to go smoothly, we probably should sneak out now. I don't think the blackmail angle would work very well, but the governor has other points he might be willing to consider - like family - and we have the upper hand merely by having the bargaining chip in our possession. He might be amiable to the idea of having Zayan disappear (we don't intend to hand her to the Crown Prince, now do we?), since it gets her out of his hair and does not lead to as big of an incident as a public defection would. There are quite a few approaches we can take.

As for Rin's spell, I wonder about that myself. Even though what we can transport seems to be limited, apparently Rin can teleport other people with her (which I gathered from her 'I would pick you up'). Meaning that she can transport whole groups of people anywhere her Mana allows her to (and it seems that it allows her to travel to outer space, so I guess that's 'pretty far') as long as she keys it to a certain person.

I am afraid the teleportation abilities from now on will have to involve progressively more complicated explanations as to why they can't be used. :M They are simply too broken otherwise.

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
B since we haven't seen his daughter yet. And do we know any geas? If not we really should come up with one and put it on Zayan.

lightbane

Arcane
Nevill, I believe she was able to get to outer space because she would have used the teleportation circle in order to improve her range (I believe it works two-ways, otherwise Erd wouldn't have been able to come back). No idea if she can get to the goblin village without it (perhaps Erd could make one now if necessary). And for excuses to prevent teleportation spam, there's always nanomachines magical barriers/antimagic zones and the like, so it won't be a problem.
Still, I believe B can be done as long as we're careful, if only because Mercant has supernatural charisma which will help him greatly.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I see. Would B allow Erd to have Rin teleport Zayan to the goblin village as well, or at least leave her somewhere safe?

Yes, if they don't have anything preventing teleportation in the town.

Which limitations does Rin's teleport spell have?

She is limited to bringing along a single person and casting it once per day. These limitations can be overcome using a magic circle.

Nevill

Arcane
Still, I believe B can be done as long as we're careful, if only because Mercant has supernatural charisma which will help him greatly.
It would be nice to have a Domination spell or two for when it doesn't. I wonder who we should see about this stuff. Athos and his minions/masters sounds like an idea... a very bad idea, but still... :oops:

These limitations can be overcome using a magic circle.
And what are the requirements for drawing/preparing a magic circle?

Nevill

Arcane
No, I mean in general. Are there limitations for it? Maybe it's the precise measurments required to draw it correctly (time/place limitations - for example, you can't draw it on the ground with a sword in the middle of combat). Or material components. Some other stuff perhaps.

It affects whether I treat teleportation as something that is 'allowed when it is allowed' without thinking too much about it (a fast-travel mechanics), or as a multi-purpose tool that can be twisted to suit our needs.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Be careful Nevill, I think that is how we broke Fangshi.

B I at least want to meet our governor and get a feel for his person. He may be co-optable and could work into our plans. I am not as afraid for physical combat if our magic is nullified since we have Barbados.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, I mean in general. Are there limitations for it? Maybe it's the precise measurments required to draw it correctly (time/place limitations - for example, you can't draw it on the ground with a sword in the middle of combat). Or material components. Some other stuff perhaps.

Time, energy, materials. All of these are limits. If you want to know when it can be done, ask when you want it to be done.

Nevill

Arcane
...so can Zayan modify that mug juuust a bit more so we could have a nice holy grenade in case our magic fails? That would be a nice addition to our item list.

I mean, if all it takes to blow an inn is to press 3 buttons, it's not too much work to change the mechanism so that it blew up in a short while after the safety pin is pulled.

And the governor's palace needed a redecoration anyway. :M

No, seriously, does 'technology' work in an anti-magic field? Or is it just another form of magic?

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Well then, assuming B wins, the next course of action is clear. Hopefully the twins and Runde provide help to speed us the process.
I dont know if we will have any goblins left when we finally return if we send Zayan there without supervision.

"Oops, my experiment in Goblin/aardvark cross breeding didnt go as planned. We need more test subjects..."

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
When she learns you are a part of an experiment to re-create the Ultimate... I mean, the Original human form, she'll either have a huge scientific boner and fall in love on the spot, or try to dismember you to see what you are made of. Possibly both.

So forget goblins and think of your own safety.
Baltika9 B
Azira A
Nevill B
Elfberserker B
Esquilax A
Smashing Axe B
Grimgravy A
Kipeci A
Kz3r0 A
Jester A
lightbane B
GreyViper B
archaen B
Rex Feral B
Lambchop19 B

A - 6
B - 9

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. I suppose that anything magnatite-powered/related isn't affected, too? I mean, Athos' hold on Rin's mind didn't break even though she was in a magic canceller zone.

Have Zayan heard anything about using magnatite to contain mages?
One of them brings out a small, pink gem. Magnatite? You do not stay around to find out what it does.
We didn't stay around to find out what it does, but not everything should be learned from a first-hand experience. :M
Whimpering, Runde presses the button. A jet of flame shoots up into the air, scorching the ceiling. He almost drops the mug in surprise.

“Keep holding on to it. Press the next button.”

He does so. The flame comes under control, burning and wavering as it takes the form of a blade.

“If I have more time and better tools, I could construct an exponentially better prototype, obviously."
Is that a promise of a lightsaber? Please tell me it is a promise of a lightsaber. :bounce:
lightsaber.png
Is the mug she did any good as a weapon that we can outfit one of the twins with, or was it just a proof of concept and a useless trinket otherwise?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hm. I suppose that anything magnatite-powered/related isn't affected, too? I mean, Athos' hold on Rin's mind didn't break even though she was in a magic canceller zone.

Well, that wasn't a result of a spell, that was a fragment of Athos himself.

Is the mug she did any good as a weapon that we can outfit one of the twins with, or was it just a proof of concept and a useless trinket otherwise?

They'd probably blow themselves up trying to use it in combat. Needs a lot more safety features.

lightbane

Arcane
Azira has it. "Mad science" and "safety features" do not mix. Also, that would be a sword of fire and not a lightsaber, Nevill. Speaking of which: perhaps she-Jekill should be given our sword that formerly belonged to that unfortunate paladin, in order to corrupt the weapon improve its design and mass-produce the new device for our troops. It should be easier to do, since it has been proved it can be set on fire already.

Nevill

Arcane
Also, that would be a sword of fire, not a lightsaber, Nevill.
She promised 'an exponentially better prototype'. Sounds like a lightsaber to me. :P

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against a portable flamethrower either. Would make for a fine way to cook all those annoying paladins right in their armors.

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. Do we have a training regimen of some kind for the kids? Do we have them fight each other to the death spar with either each other or Rin? Or even with ourselves, if the mood strikes us?

The spark of Zhang Jue that burns bright in the heart of every man makes me regret we didn't have Aria kill those 30 bandits by herself. :negative:

Speaking of which, shouldn't Fortunio's forces be listed on our character sheet?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom