Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls III Coming in April 2016, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen in January

Gentle Player

Arcane
What does this has to do with RPGcodex ?

I ask the same of the likes of Skyrim, Fallout 3, Mass Effect (and possibly Witcher?) and all other games where character statistics are the icing sprinkled upon a reflexive-action focused cake that often grace the front pages here.

Also note that, unlike in Dark Souls where wielding heavy weapons properly requires an appropriate Strength stat, in Skyrim even the most limp-wristed Elf can pick up a huge Daedric Warhammer and merrily swing away.

Xenich

Cipher
Actually, if they wanted to make it like an 80's arcade game, they would only allow you to continue after death if you inserted a coin made a micro-transaction for it.

Funny you mention that. In the old 80's Arcades, the "micro-transaction" was to pay to continue where you left off while today's "micro-transaction" is a boost to let you beat the game faster/easier/etc..

Interesting.

Xenich

Cipher
I ask the same of the likes of Skyrim, Fallout 3, Mass Effect (and possibly Witcher?) and all other games where character statistics are the icing sprinkled upon a reflexive-action focused cake that often grace the front pages here.

Also note that, unlike in Dark Souls where wielding heavy weapons properly requires an appropriate Strength stat, in Skyrim even the most limp-wristed Elf can pick up a huge Daedric Warhammer and merrily swing away.

This game is at least a game, Skyrim is just an excuse for idiots to walk around and click buttons. I may down on this game, but at least it meets the qualifications of one.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
The difficulty of the Souls games is perhaps overstated, but considering how pathetically easy the other games of this generation and the last have been it's nice to play something with any amount of challenge at all.

Xenich

Cipher
The difficulty of the Souls games is perhaps overstated, but considering how pathetically easy the other games of this generation and the last have been it's nice to play something with any amount of challenge at all.

That is a honest and valid point.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The people who mention Souls gameS beign "hard" are always the casuals; bring any Souls game up to a fan and they will mention the lore, the Setting, the story, the mechanics, the pvp components...the game not beign a cakewalk is almost an afterthought since we then bring up dex builds, upgrade paths and fan theories
This game is not made up of mindless repetition like paying level 99 of pacman but learning patterns, developing strategies and even challenging ourselves by cero level runs or no magic runs
These games truly separate the men from the boyz not because they are hard but because if everything around it us so fucking beautifully designed and executed
The fact I an getting Dragons Dogma soon too to run beautifully on my pc is another kind of combat quite different but maybe just as satisfying

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:lol: Don't need none of this console shit polluting my glorious PC HDD SSD!

DD looks like something I'd enjoy a lot, was planning to get a console to play it at some point. My experience with the "Souls" games is a mere 2-3 hours of Bloodborne, but judging from that they're games I want to get around to playing eventually. :bounce:

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan

Which has more RPG elements and which more action elements, Dark Souls or Pokémon ? Which of the 2 is "news" in here ?

Xenich

Cipher
The people who mention Souls gameS beign "hard" are always the casuals; bring any Souls game up to a fan and they will mention the lore, the Setting, the story, the mechanics, the pvp components...the game not beign a cakewalk is almost an afterthought since we then bring up dex builds, upgrade paths and fan theories
This game is not made up of mindless repetition like paying level 99 of pacman but learning patterns, developing strategies and even challenging ourselves by cero level runs or no magic runs
These games truly separate the men from the boyz not because they are hard but because if everything around it us so fucking beautifully designed and executed
The fact I an getting Dragons Dogma soon too to run beautifully on my pc is another kind of combat quite different but maybe just as satisfying

Mechanics? Builds? The game is completely an arcade game. If you can run the game naked without any leveling, then the game is an action arcade game and all of those "features" are just pointless fluff. That means, to beat the game it IS a repetitious game of finding the patterns for each encounter/boss. When you find them, you apply the pattern and you win. Welcome to game play that people were doing back in the 80's. DS isn't some new idea, it isn't some advancement in play, it is just another arcade game that a younger generation thinks is some how innovative so they can feel special about themselves.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Most of the PC games these days are console games, that excuse won't hold.

Indeed, but they're console games with PC releases, and so fall under the mandate of the Codex news writers. Don't look at me, I don't run the bloody site.

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
Pokemon is console only and thus beyond the scope of this site.

Cool lets take another game , a PC game

http://nba2k16game.com/category/features/

NBA 2k16 features are:
- A career mode where you create and improve your own player
- A very customizable MyPlayer mode where you can create your own playing style, hair, body, tatoos
- The Career mode is directed by Spike Lee
- A rating system constantly updated
- The ability to play in MyPlayer or MyTeam or even MyGM mode
- A way to fully customize your party (Nba Draft)
- A much better online VS matchmaking system
- SimCast Live is a new way of playing the game, a combination of simulation and full gameplay, which should appeal to aspiring coaches or simply those who wish to save a little bit of time
- Even has a virtual trading card feature
- Arguably better action and a more complex skills and movement system than Dark Souls

Now since both are in pc, tell me which has more rpg elements than the other and which has a thread and news post in here ?

Xenich

Cipher
Indeed, but they're console games with PC releases, and so fall under the mandate of the Codex news writers. Don't look at me, I don't run the bloody site.

Oh, ok... well under that technical point I concede.

MrMarbles

Cipher
In other, more unexpected news, Dragon's Dogma, which resident action RPG fans have been fawning over ever since it was released on the PS3 and Xbox 360 back in 2012 (or 2013 if we take the "expanded and enhanced" Dark Arisen version), is coming to Steam in January 2016, per Capcom's surprise announcement last week.

:fuuyeah:
Finally the snivelling hordes of codexians who refuse to even countenance the existence of a good NON-Crpg will see the truth. It might even make the next felipepepepepepepepepe list

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Mechanics? Builds? The game is completely an arcade game. If you can run the game naked without any leveling, then the game is an action arcade game and all of those "features" are just pointless fluff. That means, to beat the game it IS a repetitious game of finding the patterns for each encounter/boss. When you find them, you apply the pattern and you win. Welcome to game play that people were doing back in the 80's. DS isn't some new idea, it isn't some advancement in play, it is just another arcade game that a younger generation thinks is some how innovative so they can feel special about themselves.
Indeed, you are some retarded ass jockey who loves K&M so you can keep one of your mitts in between the hand lotion and the Doritos at all times. Basicaly you suck at the game and dont even know shit about it so instead of addmiting your own lack of even NES skillz you blame the game, go fuck yourself and play some Mass Effect to show up your mad gaming skillz or ask Todd to put up some more awesome buttons for you
Fucking casual shit

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Mechanics? Builds? The game is completely an arcade game. If you can run the game naked without any leveling, then the game is an action arcade game and all of those "features" are just pointless fluff.

MORROWIND IS AN ARCADE GAME!!!!!!!!

Xenich

Cipher
Indeed, you are some retarded ass jockey who loves K&M so you can keep one of your mitts in between the hand lotion and the Doritos at all times. Basicaly you suck at the game and dont even know shit about it so instead of addmiting your own lack of even NES skillz you blame the game, go fuck yourself and play some Mass Effect to show up your mad gaming skillz or ask Todd to put up some more awesome buttons for you
Fucking casual shit

Yes, that is it? My points are invalid because I am not as good and awesome as you are? Unfortunately, none of what you provided helps your argument. It just makes you look like a little baby throwing a tantrum.

Xenich

Cipher

MORROWIND IS AN ARCADE GAME!!!!!!!!

You are too smart for me NG. /rollseyes

Hi,

Here is what I can say about the run.

I used Morrowind version 1.0 for the 'constant item attribute bug' which I will explain later.

Also, I noticed that loading screens are actually animations, because when I record the game at 60 FPS the loading screen always is about 2.5 seconds long while normally playing, it is less than a half a second long(on FPS ~200+).

Constant item attribute bug: It is called "Sunder/Keening cheat" on a elder scrolls wiki, but they are wrong of how it works and also it is a bug not a cheat. You have to have a item with a constant effect and switch it with another item which takes it's place. Switching those items at rapid speed the constant effect will sometimes add up permanently. It is most easy to do with weapons because of weapon switch controls but it is also possible with any other equip-able item.

I use that bug on keening to gain an extreme amount of speed, agility, luck, fortify health and I also use it with sunder too(Strength, Endurance and Luck). With such amounts I can hit enemies with any weapon no matter the skill level and they can never hit me with a melee attack. Also sneak attacks have a high chance of succeeding dealing 4x damage. The Fortify health also protects me from damage done by 'mortal wound'.

Potions: No matter how much speed I have I cannot be faster than something that is instant teleportation with mark and recall. Levitation potion just goes along so I'd have better manoeuvrability.

Choice of weapon: In Odrosal I have a choice between four dwarven weapons - Spear, Halberd, Claymore and Battle Axe. One of which I need to kill Dagoth Vemyn and also to do earlier described bug. I choose the Halberd because it's closer, does more damage than spear, faster speed than an axe or claymore, and has a longer range of effect in case the target starts moving.

Sellus Gravius: I skip his office by jumping through the wall. Since I haven't given him the needed papers I don't receive the option to save games.

Vemynal: I cannot end levitation so I can't do a critical hit on Dagoth Vemyn which would lower needed hits by 4.

Dagoth Ur: Since levitation ends I just do one sneak attack to kill him. I could switch weapons some more until sunder has enough strength to kill him in one hit but the switching confuses me while doing it...

Lambinou

Novice
Looks alright, but have they improvedthe camera, and will covenant be more iinteresting or just a farming quest like in the previous games ? I mean ffs i meat the last everlasting dragon, and my only interaction is to give him scales. No thanks fo kiling ornstein the dragonslayer, seath the traitor, and avengin his kin...

Also, i've always wondered why we had those kind of combat rolls. Who the hell would do that in a fight ? WHy not just jump/leap to a side or backward, like som bosses actually do ?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yes, that is it? My points are invalid because I am not as good and awesome as you are? Unfortunately, none of what you provided helps your argument. It just makes you look like a little baby throwing a tantrum.
Your points are invalid for the simple reason that you use your own retarded skillz ( or lackthereoff) to decide if the game "sucks" as if the whole world waits breathlessly for your fucking opinion because guess what where in the Codex (pretty much as you are used to in real life) you and your opinion dont value for shit. and as for begin awesome I wouldnt consider having simple hand eye cordination and the patience to learn how to play a game the benchmark for my awesomeness But Thanks.
In simple terms, you dont have the capacity to appreciate a masterpiece game like this because you lack the ability to play it, hell even that chick with the driving wheel can beat the game with it so believe me it Is no Ulysess to get through but in a sense it is fitting that you cannot play it since you dont deserve to since you lack both the motor skills and the intelectual capacity to appreciate it
Fucking casual piece of shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom