Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

ScubaV

Prophet
Also, was it ever explained how Trider McCracken became "Trider Muhchacraken"?

Treave said something about there being no Scottish people in this world to set a precedent for pronunciation, but I still don't understand how "Mc" becomes "Muhcha". It's either a hard c or a soft c, and if the c in "Cracken" is hard, why not the c from "Mc"? I suppose you could argue that two c's together should make a "ch" sound, but then by the same logic that supposes there are Italians creating that pronunciation. I don't particularly care, though, so I never challenged it.

ScubaV

Prophet
See lightbane's post from earlier:

“A bed!” screams Rin as she leaps into the fluffy, plump mattress, abandoning all pretenses of being a polite, well-mannered lady. The demon princess begins to luxuriate in her long-awaited comfort.
[...] “Weren’t you taught etiquette by the Mistress of Pain?” you ask.

“Hm? Of course! If I had to live in the castle of the Demon King, a minimum level of politeness is required. Ha, Father always said that I was very good at pretending to be a demure princess.” Although Rin appears to be pleased, you do not think that the Demon Lord meant that to be a compliment.

And of course her behavior at the Demon Court wasn't amongst humans that she considers beneath her.

In comparison, Arlin is just a village boy whom no one will pay much attention to.

And that's exactly what he can take advantage of.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Treave said something about there being no Scottish people in this world to set a precedent for pronunciation, but I still don't understand how "Mc" becomes "Muhcha". It's either a hard c or a soft c, and if the c in "Cracken" is hard, why not the c from "Mc"? I suppose you could argue that two c's together should make a "ch" sound, but then by the same logic that supposes there are Italians creating that pronunciation. I don't particularly care, though, so I never challenged it.
And yet the whole LP is in English so...

I mean, it's a made up name and we were supposed to be a foreigner from a far off land anyway. Like Koveras in BG1, it doesn't have to be a real name, it's just a coincidence that it sounds scottish to us. But yeah, not a big deal.

I think our character should at least correct one person before giving up completely though. Although, we are lazy...

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
See lightbane's post from earlier:
My objection applies to him as well. He, too, is looking at how she is when she is being herself and concludes that she is incapable of being proper when there is plenty of evidence to the opposite effect from both a highly reputable source - her father, and from what we have witnessed with our own eyes.

She feels the need to be useful and helpful because she has dun goofed before. If we tell her to be all smiles and courtsies, she will. She played her part of a merchant wife perfectly in the city, didn't she?

You are implying that she doesn't see a difference between a banquet and a battlefield.

edit: also, she might be useful - in case this is a trap. (I mean, we know this nation enslaves humans and angels alike. What if he wants to capture us? Why else would he invite someone he is already suspicious of to an important banquet?)
Oh puh-lease. If one needs to capture someone as dangerous as you, they'd do so at night and in a clandestine manner, not at the official dinner with politicians from other countries that can get killed in the process.

He is clearly searching for a way to keep you at his side, seeing how useful you have proven to be so far, and there are games played at court that place his life in danger (that's how we met him). That, at least, is pretty transparent.

I think our character should at least correct one person before giving up completely though.
He doesn't know how to pronounce it either. :lol:
He looks up at your approach, and lets out a sigh. “Trider Muh… Muhchacraken, I presume? Am I pronouncing it right? I am Governor Ambrese Hastwell, the man currently in charge of Ontoglia.”

You nod, acknowledging him. It is not like you know how to pronounce the name you made up anyway – they can say it however they like.

Edit:
And that's exactly what he can take advantage of.
Ah, of course.

It depends on what we want. If we want to chat up the princes and be like a person from nobility, we take Rin. She will attract the eyes and hearts of all men. If we want to hear some rumors and eavesdrop on conversations, we take Arlin. No one notices him anyway. If we want to be an exotic item, we can take Runde and have people raise eyebrows at us. I'd take it that it's unusual to have (talking) goblin slaves at banquets - they are more of a brute workforce.

And if we want to crank it up to 11 and get a certain reputation from the get-go, we take Lucy. :lol:

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, I suppose Zayan was teleported to the village, right? Did she ask for something else in return for waiting for us here and behave? The last thing we want is to get back only to realize our goblins have been replaced by cat-like zombies, or something worse.

You can expect a surprise when you return. :M

I think our character should at least correct one person before giving up completely though. Although, we are lazy...

Your character doesn't know how to pronounce Mc at all, which is exactly why he went with some random, half-assed pronunciation that sounds nothing like Mac. If you wanted Mac, you should have spelt it Mac. :M

Your character doesn't know how to pronounce Mc at all, which is exactly why he went with some random, half-assed pronunciation that sounds nothing like Mac. If you wanted Mac, you should have spelt it Mac. :M
Well, the whole idea was to have it be an anagram though. For the record, I'm fine with however we pronounce it, so long as the original anagram remains intact.
(even though this is an alien culture and our name is almost certainly not spelled with english letters):M

archaen

Cipher
Patron
B > F
A1 > A5

Years of playing wizards in rpgs has shown me the utility of your spellbook grows logarythmically. The more spells you have, the more problems you can solve and our spell book isnt expansive enough to solve all the problems we can come across.

For the second choice I think Rin would be a good companion to start toying with the hearts of the noblemen. A politician thinking with his Johnson is easy to twist. If not that, we Larp a hindustan.

Nevill

Arcane
Our problem is not the lack of spells, but rather lack of time to learn them. It's not like we didn't have the spell from the illusionist school - we still have the spellbook, it's that we never sat down and read it, choosing to learn a healing one instead. I expect this to be the case with the rest of them, too.

However, the library would probably grant us better variety of spells to choose from.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Our problem is not the lack of spells, but rather lack of time to learn them. It's not like we didn't have the spell from the illusionist school - we still have the spellbook, it's that we never sat down and read it, choosing to learn a healing one instead. I expect this to be the case with the rest of them, too.

However, the library would probably grant us better variety of spells to choose from.

The healing spell. Don't remind us. What a wasted opportunity for practically any other choice.

The healing spell. Don't remind us. What a wasted opportunity for practically any other choice.
Given how often we get our characters arms/wings chopped off, I think the healing path is a good investment. Also, since we chose to keep Mieren on ice, it's consistent that we'd try to research healing as a way to bring her back.

Though given how we seem to be taking the path of intrigue, it may have been better had we picked up the illusion spell as a less conspicuous means of disguise - though I worry it will become yet another crutch we rely upon (like the translation spell) that treave will predictably yank out from under us.

Besides, the hat stuff is funny.

Nevill

Arcane
The thing to keep in mind is that the illusion spell would only help us mask our face, if I understood it correctly:
A. You learn from the book of illusion. You gain the spell Another Face, allowing you to put on a limited form of magical disguise so that you look like another person.
Like Healing, it would not have had an immediate use until a more powerful version in developed. At best, it would have allowed us to pose as another man in a strange hat.

Years of playing wizards in rpgs has shown me the utility of your spellbook grows logarythmically.
Also, you sure that's the right comparison? Because that's saying that after a certain point more spells do not make you a better mage in any significant way. :lol:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
As if you don't know people who buy books to put them on a shelf and never read them. :M

But I think in our case either modifying the Translator spell or investing in mastering the language would be justifiable. Probably the former - since learning every language would be a bother.

lightbane

Arcane
*interesting stuff*

I understand your point of view, but I believe you're incorrect: don't forget that Rin believes humans are little better than animals, especially when they attempt to hit on her. Bringing her to a room full of nobles who will progressively become more lascive as time (and alcohol) gets by doesn't seem a good idea. For not to mention she has little restrain plus her inhuman features are easy to reveal. Arlin, meanwhile, is ignored by everyone, including ourselves. :lol:
Also, don't forget that no matter how powerful we are, we don't have a spell that can save us from drinking drugged/poisoned wine. Perhaps Lucy can help us in regard to this though. :M

Lastly, I'll modify my votes to 2:A4>3>5>2>6. Rin takes too much time in the spotlight. I would like for the others to have a chance to shine.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I understand your point of view, but I believe you're incorrect: don't forget that Rin believes humans are little better than animals, especially when they attempt to hit on her. Bringing her to a room full of nobles who will progressively become more lascive as time (and alcohol) gets by doesn't seem a good idea.
I believe that her attitude towards humans is gradually changing as she has now to deal with two human kids on a daily basis.

It is also worth noting that while she might not appreciate human company, she still listens to us since the Battle of Erise. If we ask her to put her game face on, she will.

Oh, and slapping a noble or two around in case they try to hit on our woman would not hurt our reputation. We don't want to present ourselves as a cuck, do we? :M

I am getting tired of people portraying Rin as a bloodthirsty beast as if she is the one with the halo. Remember, no one died in the bar fight.

Also, don't forget that no matter how powerful we are, we don't have a spell that can save us from drinking drugged/poisoned wine.
I doubt it's that kind of banquet.
%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B4%D0%B6%D0%B8%D0%B021.jpg

Lastly, I'll modify my votes to 2:A4>3>2>6.
You removed Lucy? You are a traitor to the monsterkind! :outrage:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Whops, my mistake. Fixed that. I believe you have too much faith and optimism on that demon girl, but well, we'll see once/if treave updates one of these days.

Nevill

Arcane
I believe you have too much faith and optimism on that demon girl
Somewhere in the alternate universe Rin players discuss whether it would be a wise move to let Erdrick go to the party without her wise supervision.

- But he is hopelessly gay! With all the nobles around and a dashing Archmage with a magnificent beard, would he be able to resist the temptations if left unchaperoned?
- But he is a murder machine! Not that we mind killing all filthy humans, but killing half of its political elite will provoke Methuss into retaliating against our cute gobbos! And rob us of a shopping tour we planned!
- Oh, no! He will slaughter the prince's family in a blind rage, base tool of destruction that he is, and when the prince tries to stop him, he will murder his love, too. It will break his heart! We mustn't let that happen!

Why is it that when Rin does it, we laugh at her, but when we do it, it is a legitimate concern all of a sudden? :M

Speaking of a shopping tour, why didn't we buy anything for Aria or Rin while we were in Ontoglia, treave? I thought that was the whole point of not splurging money left and right.:rpgcodex:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Also, you sure that's the right comparison? Because that's saying that after a certain point more spells do not make you a better mage in any significant way. :lol:

Yes I meant it that way. If you have 10,000 spells with different functions, the 10,001st spell will not bring as much utility as 10th or the 101st. There comes a point when you have enough tools to do whatever you need by careful planning and combinations of what you do have.

Tigranes

Arcane
B>D>F
A3>A4>A6

Magic membership and info are probably the only truly useful things, and surely we came to the capital to cash in the favour, rather than just have a look around.

I think the dinner will be entertaining and informative. Both of the kids could learn something from this; I actually prefer Aria, because we want to teach her to be patient when required, so that she becomes a bit more versatile than just another Rin / loose cannon.

GreyViper

Prophet
C. A lesser knighthood in one of the orders:
2. Order of the Azurelion, led by Wisteria Brescia.
4. Arlin (seriously the boy needs to get laid, that should temporarily shift his interest to other priorities)

Nevill

Arcane
There comes a point when you have enough tools to do whatever you need by careful planning and combinations of what you do have.
Ah, maybe. However, any mage reaching that point is at a level when he is making his own epic-level spells to do epic-level deeds. As the caliber of your opponents changes, your toolset loses its relevance. For every Firebolt there is a Globe of Invulnerability, for every Invisibility there is a True Sight. This race does not really have an end until you are a God, and as the story about several Demon Lords shows, perhaps not even then.

I actually prefer Aria, because we want to teach her to be patient when required, so that she becomes a bit more versatile than just another Rin / loose cannon.
I like Aria very much. However, I wonder if our companions don't follow set archetypes and if it isn't futile to try and make them into something they weren't designed to be.

Aria is a follower, and a fanatical one at that. Just like Baltika likes 'em. :cool:
“W-Why do we have to do this?” asks Arlin.

“Just shut up and do as our savior says!” snaps Aria, who seems quite happy to do your bidding.
You order her to jump, she jumps. I would hardly call that a loose cannon. I'd prefer to remove a stick from her ass that makes her quip at everyone... but isn't that - along with her stubbornness - the quality that makes her character? A tame and civil Aria somewhat loses her appeal.

Arlin is a thinker and a diplomat. He likes being a good guy, and he prefers it when everyone is happy. I have high hopes for him. Perhaps he can be to us what Yelü Chucai was to Gengis Khan - a benevolent adviser and a PR guy who smooths our dick moves over.

And Rin is, well, Rin. Unlike Aria, she is truly independent, and is capable of thinking for herself. They all look pretty distinct to me. Doesn't mean they can't change, but the question is, should they?

Anyway, I'll vote for 2A5>A3>A1. Anything to liven the place up.

the boy needs to get laid
Suuure, the boy is the one who needs to get laid. :roll:
asxetos D>C2 A3>A1
Nevill F A5>A3>A1
Kz3r0 B A1
Elfberserker B A4>A5
Kipeci D A5
Gobblecock B A5
lightbane E2>E1>B>D A4>A3>A5>A2>A6
Grimgravy F>B B>A2>A5
Storyfag B A1
ScubaV B>D A4>A5
Lambchop19 E1>B A1
archaen B>F A1>A5
Rex Feral F>D A4>A1
Jester B A3
Tigranes B>D>F A3>A4>A6
Greyviper C2 A4
wjw E2 A4
TOME E2>E1 A5

B - 8
C2 - 1
D - 2
E1 (Leila) - 1
E2 (Princess) - 4
F - 2

Currently competing banquet options are Rin, Arlin and Lucy, with Aria slightly behind. (at 6/7/7/5 potential votes)

A1 - 4 (6)
A3 - 3 (1) asxetos (A1), Tigranes (A4)
A4 - 6 (7)
A5 - 4 (3) Nevill (A1)
B - 1

OR (if Aiv flops, which it doesn't need to if it wins)

A1 - 4 (6)
A3 - 3 (2) asxetos (A1)
A4 - 6 (2) Elfberserker (A5), ScubaV (A5), lightbane (A5), Rex Feral (A1)
A5 - 4 (8)
B - 1 (0) Grimgravy (A5)

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
4. Arlin (seriously the boy needs to get laid, that should temporarily shift his interest to other priorities)

Someone has already forgotten that Arlin can take care of himself. Last time we checked, he was working hard to "improve the human-monster relationships" with a certain female goblin. So I believe the boy has that aspect covered. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom