Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Kayerts

Arcane
You know what? Screw it. I'll switch my votes once again just to annoy Nevill because I'm sure Fennick and Erd will be able to understand each other with little trouble. Hell, maybe he is not that lazy and is actually as cunning as Erd is. Therefore, my final votes are:

D>C>H>B>A>G

Was the vote for DOUCHEBAG intentional or just a happy accident?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Eh, it's true to our laziness. Besides, being such an enigmatic gentleman in a fine, fine hat will doubtless draw attention. The fact that we don't talk to anyone may even make us seem important. As if we need nothing from anyone. That or it will make us seem like a loser, depends on how we play it off.

lightbane

Arcane
Well, I didn't expect that the lazy option would win at the end. Truth to be told, I could modify the final results by changing my votes, but I feel that would be too much effort. Either way, doing nothing probably won't end up badly for us.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Playing around the chance of a casual conversation ending in a total disaster. Only on the 'Dex. :M

Personally, I don't even consider it a 'lazy' option. It just makes sense to see who are the people that are most interested in you. Considering your status of a dark horse, it would probably be various underdogs that seek to take a piece off the power pie.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A Suggestion for Entertainment

“Aren’t we going to mingle or socialize, Master?” asks Arlin as he watches you bite into another piece of fried fillet: tender and juicy on the inside, crunchy and crispy on the outside.

As you gulp down the meat, you waggle a large, floppy prawn at the boy. “Anyone who wants to speak to us enough will come to speak to us. It’s the easiest way of finding out who is the most interested in us. Here, eat some more if you want to grow up to be like me.” You drop the prawn on his plate. Arlin frowns, apparently not so sure that he wants to grow up to be like you after all, but he tucks in anyway.

As you turn to the countless platters of food, wondering if you should try the fanciful beaten egg dishes or the grilled boar feet, and mentally calculating the amount of food that you could smuggle out under your coat, you hear footsteps approaching your back. They were crisp and heavy. Not a girl’s footsteps, not by a long shot. With a sigh, you turn around and come face to face with a large man almost as tall as you are, hat included. His face is craggy, but what stands out more is a luxuriant moustache that is so well-groomed and pointy that it could be easily called the best moustache in the hall – and there is plenty of amazing facial hair around. He appears to be twice your age, and from his build and his scarred face, likely quite experienced in life. There is a jovial twinkle in his eye. “Might you be Trider, the man who assisted Prince Farland in Eris?” booms the man with a deep baritone.

“That would be me, yes,” you say, chewing on a boar’s toe. You give him a professional nod.

“A pleasure to meet you. I’m Alexander Mulberry, the head of the Adventurer’s Guild here in the capital.” He offers you his hand. You look down at your greasy hand and hesitate, but the man grabs it anyway and shakes it vigorously with a crushing grip. “Bah, come on! What’s some oil between men?” He laughs, though he wipes his hand on his pants all the same.

“The Adventurer’s Guild? I see.” You are quite familiar with these guilds back in your world, having been involved in a small enterprising effort where your contacts generated requests and you resolved them before anyone else could, thereby increasing your fame and fortune easily. It had ended messily later on, but that was another story. Cleaning your hands with a hand towel offered by a waiter, you say, “I have heard that the Adventurer’s Guild of Methuss is one of the more powerful branches around.” You haven’t heard that at all, but that is not going to stop you from saying it.

“Oh, we have a long history,” he shakes his head humbly though seeming to be pleased by your words, “Won a few tournaments back in the day, and completed many dangerous quests. I wouldn’t say we are that powerful, but I suppose we’re pretty well known. I mean, after all, a guild is only as good as its regular adventurers, right? And of that, I’m quite sure that my children won’t lose to anyone. Some of them would make the top ten adventuring groups even in Byarlant!” Alexander laughs his booming laugh again.

“Your children?” An image of him fathering a whole team of adventurers comes into your mind.

“Just a figure of speech, just a figure of speech. I think of them like my kids. Anyway, Trider. I’m here to ask you something.”

“Go ahead.”

“You were in Erise recently, right? Do you know of the pillar of light that appeared about two months ago, in the Forest of Ruin?”

“A pillar of light?” You scratch your chin, making a show of thinking. “What of it?”

“Hm, I just thought you’d know something about it, seeing as you were in the region and all,” says Alexander. “I believe reports say that it appeared before you bailed Prince Farland out.”

“I suppose it is a very curious phenomenon. I’ve heard of it on my way here, yes, but I haven’t had the chance to witness it myself.”

“Count yourself lucky you didn’t. It happened in the middle of the most dangerous place in Methuss. If you’d gone exploring there by yourself, even you would not have made it out unscathed, Trider.” Alexander nods sagely. “Going alone would be too risky. That’s why we’re trying to get all the information we can about the matter, you see, and mounting an expedition. The nobles’ been pressing us to get it done for weeks now.” He glances at Duke Brescia. “Damn old fart. Should send in his own soldiers if he’s so interested in it.”

“Why doesn’t he?” you ask.

“Well, because we adventurers are better equipped and more skilled at exploration. That, and the forest is ruled by the legendary Minotaur Firelord.”

You recall that bull-looking thing you had fried upon your arrival here. “Sounds like a rather scary beast,” you say. “I would definitely not want to wake up in the morning and meet anything with that name.”

“It is a legendary monster,” says Alexander. He then begins rattling off a list of its traits. “The Minotaur Firelord is as strong as any giant, wreathed in flames hot enough to melt stone, and can regenerate from any mortal wound dealt to it. Of course, we don’t plan on confronting it – that would be too risky. Perhaps if the Knight-Commander accompanied us we would chance a frontal attack, but even then it would be a tough fight.”

“Well, doesn’t it sound awfully dangerous to explore that place, then?” You point out, and wonder if it had somehow survived your attack and is slowly beginning to regenerate somewhere. You’ll have the goblins do a thorough sweep of the area when you get back, just to be sure.

“We can’t beat it in a fight, but we adventurers have our ways of getting past the beast.” He winks, then sighs. “Still, it would be undeniably risky. Which is why the kingdom is paying well to have the best adventurers on the job.”

Alexander pauses, then adds. “Really, really well.” He looks at you meaningfully.

“Ah.” You get his gist, and nod. “How well is well?”

“They have allocated a total bounty of ten thousand gold coins for the entire expedition. Right now there are about forty adventurers participating, so the total works out to about…”

“Two hundred and fifty gold coins per adventurer,” you finish.

“Yes. Since you know the area, and since you are quite skilled yourself, I was actually wondering if you would like to join the expedition!” Alexander makes his offer at last.

“It’s tempting… but wouldn’t an extra person decrease the cut that each member gets? Would they be fine with it?”

“We’re all professionals here. The priority is to stay alive. Money is good, but only if you live to spend it. I think that having you around would make the odds much better for the team-“

“Trying to get more ruffians for your little guild, eh, Alexander?” interrupts a nasally-sounding man. From his expensive dress, he is clearly a noble, though his suit is ill-fitting, tailored for someone rather more fit than the person currently wearing it. “And this must be the hero that helped His Highness in that little bumpkin village?”

“Count Algonquin,” nods Alexander, with little respect whatsoever in his greeting. He does not appear to have any patience for this noble. “Do you have business with me?”

“No, I have business with this man.” He jabs a finger at you rudely. “Don’t you think you’ve taken up enough of his time? Scurry along now.”

Alexander does not move, folding his arms resolutely as he towers over the spindly noble. “I stand where I want, my lord Count.”

“H-Hm. Well, as you wish. I would not want to force the matter. Now…” Turning to you, he raises his head even further, as if attempting to look down on you from above his nose. Of course, your rather tall hat and wide brim makes that quite difficult for him. “I am Count Nostrus Algonquin. Trider Mu… Muhchacraken, or whatever your strange foreign name is… I heard you acquitted yourself admirably, helping out Prince Farland. Of course, it seems to have somehow been parlayed into a favour, getting yourself invited to this banquet… but anyway, I was just interested in how strong Farland’s new underling is,” he blathers.

You suddenly notice that the hall has gone quiet, focusing on both you and this Nostrus. Was it arranged beforehand? Certainly, both the Crown Prince and Duke Brescia have their eye on you at the moment. Farland is standing off to one side with his sister, frowning heavily.

“To that end, I propose a bit of traditional entertainment for our guests here,” Nostrus says, his voice rising in both volume and pitch. “Why not let Sir Trider amaze us with a demonstration of his skill in battle? I have heard that he is a wizard, so perhaps a bit of a brouhaha with a fellow caster would be a fine display of fireworks for the evening. What do you all say?”

The nobles clap in an approving manner and murmur amongst themselves excitedly. You glance at Farland, who shakes his head. It looks like he does not want you to get involved.

“Come now, Sir Trider. Surely the Hero of Erise is not too much of a coward to have a little show for our pleasure? I even have a willing volunteer, the rising star of the Royal Caster Society, Lord Elmont!” He raises his hand towards a young, good-looking man in purple robes. Flushing with embarrassment, he gives the crowd a sheepish, charming smile as they cheer for him.

“Elmont, eh? They’ve got it out for you, Trider,” mutters Alexander. “In Methuss, his skill in magic is reputed to be second only to old Argius himself, and he’s a good fifty years younger too, with more mana reserves than even what the old man has managed to accumulate. No offense, but I don’t rate your chances of victory very highly. Elmont is good.”

“You mean he’s like the Belbro of magic?” you suggest.

“Eh, something like that. Of course, it’s a pretty silly comparison to make when we have the most powerful mage in the world standing right there,” he whispers. Following his gaze, you see that he is referring to the Byarlantians’ Archmage, who is putting on an unconcerned mask of disinterest – though you suspect he is keenly following the proceedings.

“Well? What do you say?” Nostrus challenges you again.

If he is so keen on pressing the issue, you should strongly entertain the idea of following through with it. It might even be possible to sucker him into a wager should you play your cards right...

A.
“Challenge accepted.” You are not sure how strong Elmont is – he could be stronger than you, or weaker – but this would be a good opportunity to find out. Besides, you can decide whether to throw the match later on anyway.

B. “Honestly, I’d rather have Argius instead. He’s Elmont’s boss, right?” You’d rather take on the head of the Royal Caster Society than some young upstart, regardless of his strength. It would quickly answer the question of who could be top dog in the society, if you are so inclined.

C. “Let’s make this an international performance to cater to our foreign guests, Count Nostrus. Would Archmage Julius care to be our partner instead?” You challenge the Grand Imperial Archmage of the Byarlant Empire instead, ensuring a diplomatic faux pas and also the chance for you to test the strength of the most powerful mage in this world.

D. “I’m afraid that magic is actually not my strong suit, despite the rumours. Though I know magic, my true strength lies in swordplay. Perhaps a match with Knight-Commander Belbro would be more entertaining for all of you?” Pretending to be a swordsman would definitely throw them off at this point and help disguise the true extent of your magical abilities.

E. You try to challenge someone else, although they might not accept. (Suggest an opponent)

1. Surprising everyone, you send Arlin out to fight instead. You'll aid him quietly with magic from the sidelines.

2. You take on the challenge yourself.

F. “I’m afraid that my magic cannot be used frivolously. I am sorry, but I must decline.” You refuse to fight, allowing them to tar you with the mantle of coward. That is fine: you do not care what these rabble think of you anyway.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
E1 - Arlin against that sleazebag Nostrus. He was the one to propose it, he'll be the one laughed off if he refuses. And I think Arlin can actually beat him (or his representative), so he will be a laughingstock regardless. They want to put you on display, so turn this whole thing upside down and make it into farce.

They said they want a show for entertainment, they'll get it in spades.

Farland knows what's up and he does not want us get involved, so let's not... at least not directly.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
He's already prepared for that eventuality and will send his own representative to fight if you challenge him, because he doesn't want to get his hands dirty touching peasant scum.

Nevill

Arcane
That fucker knows how to make it personal, calling our apprentice 'filthy peasant scum'! Not to mention we aren't from a noble family ourselves. :argh:

Anyway, now that I am at a keyboard, I will explain my reasoning in more detail.

We are being played here. For what purpose, I do not yet know, but this is a bait and of a rather poor quality, considering that the fisherman does not even hide:
You suddenly notice that the hall has gone quiet, focusing on both you and this Nostrus. Was it arranged beforehand? Certainly, both the Crown Prince and Duke Brescia have their eye on you at the moment.
Personally, I think it would be beneath us to bite, as this is a pretty low-grade trick and we see ourselves as a brainy type. However, setting my personal feelings aside, I would also like to point out that people here - at least from the Adventurer's Guild - seem to vastly underestimate our power.
“I suppose it is a very curious phenomenon. I’ve heard of it on my way here, yes, but I haven’t had the chance to witness it myself.”

“Count yourself lucky you didn’t. It happened in the middle of the most dangerous place in Methuss. If you’d gone exploring there by yourself, even you would not have made it out unscathed, Trider.”
And I think it would be beneficial to keep that impression. If you keep a low profile, you can maintain plausible deniability when it comes to major deeds. A whole Adventurer's Guild expedition goes missing? Minotaur Lord did it, the fearsome beast! Barzam caravan got robbed? The bandits are getting out of hand lately. If they don't think you are able to pull something like that off, you would not be the first on their suspect list, and it makes it harder for them to frame you if they so decide.

I also think that, as far as our spellcaster level is concerned, Argus is probably at or slightly below our level, and Juilius is above, as the strongest archmage of the known world. As he also seems to be our main rival, it might be better for us not to let him know that.

I think it is a safe bet that Elmont is below us by quite a margin. If he was that good, they wouldn't have trouble with random Minotaur Lords.

I am not certain we should establish ourselves as a master swordsman, either. I am against anything that would telegrath the limits of our strengths to people who - let's be honest - are not very fond of us, with a few exceptions. But at least it would confuse them for a while.

As this is all done under a pretence of a show for the benefit of the guests, I feel that they would not be able to complain if we put Arlin on the scene. It would be a sort of 'if you want to battle me, defeat my apprentice instead' trick that is older than the world. We just have to pick a suitable opponent for him that wouldn't beat him to a pulp.

Failing that, I would deny them the show altogether and let them call us a coward. It would make it harder for us to curry favors in the open, but anyone who decides that we can be pushed around and discounts us based on hearsay is going to learn the opposite pretty fast. It is not bad to be underestimated.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Yay, an update at last! :incline:
Hmm, these adventurers are a bit dangerous. We'll have to ensure their expedition never arrives to the ruins, lest they run into one of our goblins or even that scientist lady whose name I don't remember right now.

Changing the topic, it seems there's no escape from these rival Pokemon Trainers nobles. While I do appreciate the value of discretion, it is boring. Why don't we bite the bait for once and have some fun? As long as we don't receive too much clothing damage and/or use too much mana, we won't risk revealing our Halo and Wing. Similar reasons for the Gauntlet (that reminds me: can we use these physical techniques such as the Battle Aura without having to summon Barbatos?). Also, can we challenge Nostrus directly instead? If so, I would make it E2. Therefore:

E2 (us vs Nostrils)>E1 (Arlin vs Nostrils)>A2>E1 (Arlin vs Leila for the lulz)>E2 (Erd vs Leila, unlikely for the challenge to be accepted).

EDIT: On second thought, let's not do a "physical" duel. Vigorous motion could make our hat fall off, which we don't want at all. Same if at any point they ask to take out some of our clothes to move more freely. Lastly, for the magical duel, if the challenger knows antimagic, it will be quite inconvenient for us, since we would be rendered technically deaf.
Also, should one of the mages be able to cast a spell to discern an opponent's mana reserves/general power level, our cover will be blown spectacularly. But it will be fun to watch anyway. Same case once our superhuman magical resistance is revealed, something which we cannot hide (although we could pretend to be more vulnerable than we are, I guess).

EDIT2: I almost forgot: hopefully they give Erd a crash course about how duels work in this world without raising too much questions. One thing I'm sure though is that said duels are not to death. At least not intentionally. :M

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
A2

Won't get stronger unless we fight, I've never been a fan of hiding our techniques and allowing them to atrophy.

Nevill

Arcane
That's a good name. I suggest we call him that from now on. If we are too lazy to learn how to pronounce 'Rinnifiela', I don't see us bothering with a petty noble. And we are a foreigner, it is an easy mistake for us to make. :M

Elfberserker

Liturgist
A2
Lets see what kind of collegues we will have in methussian magic society.
While the Byarlitian archmage is the most powerful mage in the world, but I have feeling that we might have to deal with our methussian
colleagues in near future. challengin the kid is good way to establishe ourself, but also avoid archmage heavy resposibilities.

But I am tempted to see how barbarossa reacts, if we choose to deal with demonic staff guy.
They will never expect fist fight between wizards:lol:

asxetos

Augur
D
Because why not.
I dont want to face the Archmage with so many witnesses around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom