Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

Cheesecake

Savant
Hey everyone :) I don't know if the old Rebirth thing is still going but I'm really interested in how this WoW private server works. Is it like free? No monthly subscriptions? Because that's just too good to be true :D I just made an account on the Rebirth website, but I'm thinking I should join this Nostalrius thing instead?

I've always wanted to get into MMORPGs, but all the monthly subscriptions put me and my friends off. Even if the populations are small, as long as I can get my friends to join or something I'm totally cool with it. So, what's the catch?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So, what's the catch?

You submit your soul.

As far as servers go, this would be fairly accurate summary of it:

Nostralius, buggy and laggy with ability delay during prime-times as their server cannot handle the playerbase. Numerous crashes and forums oftentimes cleansed from the negative commentaries. Releases broken content that causes server crashes for weeks. (Lel that BWL release) Has the biggest playerbase. Like with ED originally, it seems that people are driven by PR rather than rationality. Known also to reboot their server after not hitting population goals (framed later as "beta testings" by PR despite being established French-only realm of the past). If one has to try at least dig something actually positive about Nostralius, they have quite alright movemaps.

Kronos is quite alright. It has sufficient playerbase and some actual dedication put into their scripting, but they have history of re-launching the server two to three times in the past with character wipe after not being considered profitable enough by the main server conglomerate they belong to. It's sort of middle-ground when it comes to quality vs. quantity of people. However their finicky past is questionable.

Rebirth is as is, current uptimes and low latencies have been hitting 13 days straight with reboot and still retains best scripting of the vanilla space, about to start AQ event in near future. Suffers from lack of population due to a couple weeks rollback that happened after previous US manager quit and left rest of the admin team in void without any contacts or information. Didn't help when overhyped Nostralius was released during same time the current team managed to get the server back rolling properly after salvage work on character database. All in all remains the longest surviving vanilla server in the scene and it's developement and quality is based on actual progress over 4.5 years rather than claims of this and that made by PR teams.

Also, that one rollback aside, Rebirth has been very safe and if you made your first character over 4 years ago, it'd still exist even if unplayed.

http://www.therebirth.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=257

Some graphs about the history of Rebirth.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I can't remember which realm I have my most recent characters on, but I quit playing all at once when I had an authentic vanilla SM or SFK (I forget) experience: no ability to establish aggro and DPS going HAM on every fight leading to full party wipes.

Naraya

Arcane
Wilian
Well, in the evenings there are around 7k people online on Nostalrius PvP - that number is very impressive and it seems that population-wise it blows Rebirth right out of the water. I don't know about scripting - personally I haven't encountered any bugs. Granted, I do not play any bleeding edge content (nor I plan to) - I just want to relive that vanilla feel, and for now it works for me perfectly. Honestly - sometimes it hits me right in the feels.

One very important thing regarding Nostalrius is that there is no stupid voting system so you can't buy gear/items by voting, as is the case in 99% of other private servers. Is the Rebirth also voting-free?

Cheesecake
Go ahead and try, the only catch is you could become addicted ;)

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Wilian
Well, in the evenings there are around 7k people online on Nostalrius PvP - that number is very impressive and it seems that population-wise it blows Rebirth right out of the water. I don't know about scripting - personally I haven't encountered any bugs. Granted, I do not play any bleeding edge content (nor I plan to) - I just want to relive that vanilla feel, and for now it works for me perfectly. Honestly - sometimes it hits me right in the feels.

One very important thing regarding Nostalrius is that there is no stupid voting system so you can't buy gear/items by voting, as is the case in 99% of other private servers. Is the Rebirth also voting-free?

Cheesecake
Go ahead and try, the only catch is you could become addicted ;)

Rebirth has always been voting free and free of any non-Blizzlike schemes. As for bugs, when I started my character on Nost I did already find about 50 or so bugs within the first 25 levels. Then again I have worked on 2 different server projects as well so I have developed keen eye on spotting them.

And yes, Nostralius has the population going for it as I also mentioned in my post. In quality it's just slighty better ED (the former high population but lower quality go-to server) but still scraping barrel of the bottom compared to many others in terms of quality, including Kronos, Rebirth, Valkyrie and assortion of other, less populated servers. Nost's "positive" sides were that the hype machine did it's work well even if it came out practically from bushes and it was released at the correct time. (Rebirth struggling due to fore-mentioned management shift, ED being just shit, Kronos couple weeks off from release, Valkyrie being over-taken by Russians etc.)

Population draws popularity. In many ways I call it the "Justin Bieber" effect. It is quite amusing how many people were not only fooled but also later deluded themselves into thinking that any real fixing went into Nostralius when it was released as basically the stock ManGOS core project you can download and set up from open source projects. It's only two focuses of developement were clearly pathing, which admittably is well done, and the item revamp in hopes to do "progressive" server.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
the main beef I have with nostalrius is that copper is fucking impossible to come by alliance-side :argh:

Cheesecake

Savant
I'm convinced :) I'll try as soon as I can. I download the client for free from Blizzard, then change my realm files or whatever, then log in with my Rebirth, yes? So is there a guild for Codex on Rebirth? Should I go with Alliance or Horde?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Scrooge and I have a couple of dwarves that we level on occasion.
viking_drinking_beer.gif

Also, I r8 her heals 8/8, would recklessly break LoS to and still expect to keep me alive again.

Last edited:

catfood

AGAIN
Curious. Do these vanilla servers incorporate the later class balances, or are shamans still op in PGP?
Are half the specs still useless since this is vanilla?
Class (im)balance is just the same as in vanilla... since this emulates the vanilla game. Boomkins and retardins are forever shit, sorry. I don't know if they can do anything from a coding standpoint to change the classes, but even if they could the player base is in general EXTREMELY conservative and touchy when it comes to these things. I remember a discussion about the possibility of giving the meeting stones outside the instance the ability to summon players just like they did in TBC and there was a huge backlash against it.

EDIT: I'm talking about Nostalrius, dunno about other servers.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm still waiting for Corecraft... It still doesn't look like they're anywhere near release with it.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Anyone playing by any chance on Dalaran (Wrath server)?

I used to play on Dalaran, but I moved over to True Wow about 18 months ago.

I'm really hoping Dalaran and True Wow merge. Dalaran has Wintergrasp, but True Wow has far better scripting throughout the rest of the game.

Cheesecake

Savant
Well, I gave Rebirth a go and it worked! Me and my bro are playing together as an orc warlock and a troll hunter. Seems really empty though, but I guess most people online are in the main cities?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Alright, Shihonage is Nost bot, in same way you might find connection if you find Paranoid first time, in live showcasing.

I don't disagree with him that most players are on Nost, it's obvious they are. It's the server go for when you want quantity, not when you want quality. Best example of this is weeks of crashing they've had just to upkeep population. They had good start on it, but they cannot keep it up as it costs. As they're part of larger French congolomerate, they have to justify their staying from now to future.

As someone who has taken part on dev side in most servers that appear now, Nost has weakest claim of them all. Fucking pathetic, they spent 1 year (not 5 as they claimed) working to make sure stats were 1.4 level and left everything else to hounds.

Server list as it is:

Population but shit fuckers:

Nostralius

Kronos
Population, but part of big congolmerate that has restarted server 3 times over

Valkyrie: If you like Russia

Rebirth, small realm, best quality

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I used to be an Emerald Dream bot when it had people. I'll be a whore for any server that actually fulfills the purpose of being a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER online role-playing game.

You want to play single-player WoW... enjoy Rebirth, Kronos, Emerald Dream. You want the WoW "experience"... always pick the highest-pop server, because the difference in population is always TREMENDOUS. It is where ALL THE PEOPLE are. Right now, despite all its faults, its Nostalrius.

Cheesecake

Savant
Okay, you both bring up good points. I'll try Nostalrius, which I'll use when I'm playing by myself, 'cause like random parties and just talking to people is nice. Plus the Massively Multiplayer part. But I'll stick with Rebirth if I'm playing with my bro or my friends, because I don't really need a huge playerbase if I'm doing quests or raiding with friends. Thank you all for your advice :)

In other news: the warlock is great and all, but from my experience with Rift, I kinda prefer DPS. I'm thinking I should try Rogue? Btw, if you guys wanna find me I'm DookOfDoom.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
So wilian is a rebirth bot then?

Yes, I tend to stand for quality, which is what Rebirth is. ;p

Your ultimate choice will be of this sort: Nostralius = Justin Bieber switching style when popular, Rebirth = That one band that never gave up on their vision. ;p

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom