Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoE2 HD: The African Kingdoms

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
We shouldn't judge a new title based on the previous installment? AoE3 was a decline from AoE2, therefore we have the right to call it shit, even if on it's own it's an average RTS.

It still looks like shit though, and what I said about the units looking completely forgettable still stood in 2005.

pippin

I've never played AOE3 because that would be like the ultimate childhood killer for me. I'd rather play Rise of Nations instead, which seems like an actual good game fwiw.
This new expansion is... weird, to say the least. I do have the AoE2HD game, but I'd rather have people working on an AOE1HD instead of an expansion to this one.
Going back to C&C1 is more comfy than trying to play these expansions.

pippin

For me Empire Earth was AoE3, 4, Etc.. that was a really good game, it's just a pity it was killed by the sequels.

Delterius

Arcane
We shouldn't judge a new title based on the previous installment? AoE3 was a decline from AoE2, therefore we have the right to call it shit, even if on it's own it's an average RTS.

It still looks like shit though, and what I said about the units looking completely forgettable still stood in 2005.
You have all the right in the world to have an emotional kneejerk reaction based on your own ineptitude to play the game, but AoE3 would still remain a good rts with and incredibly stupid premise for a campaign as opposed to AoE2, which is simply great.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I m pretty sure AOE2 already has camel archers and they didnt even bother to make villagers black. Thanx but no thanx.

Wanna bet there's a megathread about it?

It didnt have camel archers, it had camel sword throwers which had a range of like 3 or something.

Possibly the most overpowered unit but in the competitive scene you didn't go really far with the Saracens apparently.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
The thing with castles is that it's not actually a problem. Mass stables are useful for trash wars. You rarely really need to produce paladins at more than 5 stables. Not that you wouldn't but it's not particularly useful because you don't just throw your paladins as fast as possible.

Mameluks don't really have a counter. They're good at dealing with sieges, good at dealing with cavalry, good at dealing with infantry and good at dealing with archers. Mass archers are more cost effective, I guess, if you really throw them one against the other. But who does that? If he spams archers you just go light cav and use one groups of mamlukes to rape everything in the back.

It's better than cataphract because their added range really let's them reach and skirmish everything. The only thing is that you have to micro them more. Pikemen rape them if they reach them.

In competition, it gets trickier because Saracens are really slow and suck in all early game aspects. Which means getting raped pretty badly when faced with the speed of pro players.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
It's rather retarded. You would expect it to be a cavalry unit. Throwing Axemen were only a thing in the dark ages. Initially the paladin was pretty much the Franks unique unit with the large HP gap they had with all the other civs. Then more civs with Paladins were introduced, like the overpowered Huns, and bloodlines closed the gap.
Throwing axemen are a good counter to Mamlukes, the only one unless we count massed Janissary. Aside from that they don't counter much of anything except rams, but rams are never used. I guess they're better against scorpions than your regular infantry. When massed they counter infantry but they're too slow to back up cavalry. Fairly useless unit.

Franks are a niche civilization. Only good for multiple team games at the castle age.

Cadmus

Arcane
lol competitive multiplayer, what faggotry is this?
AoE 3 was pretty cool, sure I spent 20x more time on AoE2 but I had played it to death and wanted something new. I especially like how each faction really plays differently in AoE3 as opposed to AoE2.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So this will release November 5th.

Thursday, Oct 29: New Maps! Last week, we gave you a sneak peek into a few of the new maps to look forward to on the newest continent in Age II!

Saturday, October 31: Berbers! Yes, you can finally rock the Kasbah, with quicker ships and camel archers to boot!

Sunday, November 1: Malians! Suit up your armor-piercing infantry and get your economy booming even faster with buildings that cost less wood!

Tuesday, November 3: Ethiopians! With their quick-firing archers, free upgrades on certain units, and improved siege weapons, the Ethiopians are a military force to be reckoned with!

Wednesday, November 4: Portugese! (link coming soon!)

Thursday, November 5: Come to our livestream launch event from 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM PST with developers from Forgotten Empires! We’ll be playing matches, fielding questions, and—if you’re good—giving away Steam codes for the new expansion!

Cadmus

Arcane
nice cultural appropriation, by the way, gj, shitlords

I forgot how cool the AoE theme is.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I played AoE3 competitively from launch (Nov 2005) to April 2006 almost all day when I was unemployed so the previous discussion was very amusing.

They erased most my stats, but I reached level 33 out of 50 (Title: Lieutenant Colonel).

fTxY7pD.jpg

Good times. I liked to play as Spain, a civ who dominated or was very competitive during most my clan tournament times. I could play competitively with all civs if needed, balance patches changed which ones (and which units) were the best almost every month (#Sawyer). Great variety, but unfortunately the expansions left a lot to be desired and I didn't play competitively anymore. The campaign was eat-your-pants retarded and I almost uninstalled on day 1 after trying the first 3 scenarios following the bogus Fountain of Youth.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I have no idea why the fuck the Portuguese are appearing on a AFRICAN KINGDOMS expansion, but then again they were there before all these anglo-dutch-spanish poser faggots, so sure.

But finally, Portuguese!

Far from it. This makes complete sense: the three 'African Kingdoms' are Malians, Berbers and Ethiopians. As it happens, the Portuguese had a close relationship with all of them. Mali was key to trade in West Africa due to its gold production. The Berbers are north africans and therefore crusade. The Ethiopians may seem like a stretch, but the myth of Pester John was Portugal's own Eldorado and it was eventually identified with the christian populations in Ethiopia, with whom the portuguese created an alliance against the turks in the indian sea. Moreover, early Age of Discovery for Portugal is a very much medieval thing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom