Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Age of Decadence - Tips, Tricks and Spoilers

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How do you quick save? :M
F5 obv. You can also set a number of quicksave slots which is a sweet, sweet addition from the last couple of weeks. And the game automatically saves at the start of every fight, which is glorious. I almost haven't felt bad trying my luck at the aurelian outpost a dozen times today (until I reminded myself that nets existed).

Gozma

Arcane
Is there a slam dunk answer to the optimal amount you should dip into alchemy and crafting for a hardcore kill-as-many-people-as-possible combat character? Can you ever get weapons/armor with the perk type shit (e.g. masterwork) without bothering with crafting at all?

Are there some really "money" breakpoints for alchemy/crafting you can get that will help immediately, or do you need to focus on them?

Quote me in a reply so I don't have to browse through the thread 'cuz I don't want non-build spoilers.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there a slam dunk answer to the optimal amount you should dip into alchemy and crafting for a hardcore kill-as-many-people-as-possible combat character? Can you ever get weapons/armor with the perk type shit (e.g. masterwork) without bothering with crafting at all?

Are there some really "money" breakpoints for alchemy/crafting you can get that will help immediately, or do you need to focus on them?

Quote me in a reply so I don't have to browse through the thread 'cuz I don't want non-build spoilers.

A hardcore kill-as-many-people-as-possible character can just focus on combat skills, really. If you have solid combat attributes and high dodge, cs, and weapon skill, you will annihilate the opposition. You can buy fire potions, acid vials (destroys shields + armour), and poison with money from selling dead people's equipment. Crafting isn't strictly necessary, either; you can get reliable steel weapons and armour without too much trouble. If you're a blocker, the best armour is non craftable anyway, so ultimately you'd just be making your weapon once you hit Ganezzar.

I find alchemy and/or crafting to be required for hybrid characters, though. With a 4 str 6 dex character you can go ranged and alchemy, for example, and rely on high level fire, poison, bombs, splash acid, etc. Crafting will get you the best ranged weapons early on. That leaves plenty of stat points for other attributes, and you can make do with just 4 or 5 points in ranged. I guess you could go even lower dex and just use a lot of quicksilver to make +AP potions, because I just did an hybrid run and found at least 6+ quicksilver roots on the ground.

Yes, you can definitely get upgraded armour and weapons without any crafting. You can get it in Teron even, although the selection is limited. Try sneaking into the Blacksmith's home and unlocking his chest, or killing Sorab's friends as a Praetor. Or pay to let the merchant in the gates. In Maadoran, all characters have access to upgraded steel equipment, and there is also some higher level stuff, too. However, it can be difficult to get a lot of it, so unless you're Herakles you're going to need alchemy & crafting anyway.

Real breakpoints?

Well, I would say crafting isn't really groundbreaking until you get to steel. You can find some good bronze and iron stuff easily, but once you hit steel you can make some extremely powerful equipment; I think it's skill 6 or something. There's a lot of steel in the game, too, so it's not impossible to just roll around in upgraded steel imperial armour, helmet and have a giant fuckoff steel sword part-way through Maadoran. That's basically game breaking if you have halfway decent combat stats. There is some very powerful equipment you can get without crafting by this point, but your particular character might not have access to it; crafting is a guarantee.

As for alchemy, I'd say it's useful even at the lowest levels. As soon as you hit firewall and poison, you can start dominating. Given that you're usually outnumbered, it's very important to be able to funnel people with fire, and the damage output from poison is crucial. You'll want to sink more points in, though, because the poison becomes progressively more powerful (I think it maxes out at 9 damage a turn, which is huge), the fire lasts longer and does more contact damage, and you get thinks like large explosives/shrapnel bombs, burning acid that destroys shields and armour and does burning damage, +AP +ToHitChance potions, +Damage +DamageResistance potions, etc.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Alchemy is useful from the start. Spend 5SP and you already have poison. In many early fights, you will struggle to hit, or to bypass the DR of, enemies consistently. But land just one hit and poison ensures that you will take away, in some cases, ~10 real damage - and if you keep hitting them with poison, even more. That's significant in early battles where your spear might only do 1-2 damage a turn against a heavily armoured opponent.

Alchemy 3 gives you flame vials. Stand in a corner, wait for people to ocme to you, break a vial. They take 2-5 real damage, then they have to retreat, leaving melee enemies standing dumb while you shoot them in the face for 3 turns. Then come the neurostimulants....

Crafting similarly can give you a handy leg up from the start, but does require greater investment. I think you need 4 crafting to use Iron and add 2 special properties. Doing that, for many characters, means a better weapon than anything they can get their hands on in Teron, though.

Canus

Savant
If you invest enough in your social skills you can finish the game with only one combat encounter, and that encounter lasts a single turn if you've got crafting high enough. It may be possible to avoid that combat, but it's definitely possible to avoid every other combat and finish the game.

Edit: Upon further playing it is possible to finish the game entirely without combat if you acquire the Null.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
I assume the Loremaster is a more talky and slight fighter? And a Merchant would be all non combat (you will need to back this up with lots of non-combat alternative skills)? And also I'd assume the Merchant would be the most dialogue heavy (of which I like, I'm a gigantic story fag).

Actually, I love rolling smart, badass loremasters who become assassins/Guardsmen. You can have a 7/8 INT build with CHA as a dump stat that can explore the Abyss and uncover a lot of the setting. In some ways, it's better because a tough, smart character can do a lot more dangerous exploring and really get into combat that your frail bookworm can't.

axedice

Cipher
How about a 10int/10cha loremaster / trader? Will I miss too much like the abyss?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How do I open the hangar bay doors?

Maybe since I'm the technophobe house I can't?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You can get power armor easily by just talking, no fighting involved if you have high enough social skills, just make sure to have 3 tubes with you so can upgrade it to Ironman death machine.

Crafting is not needed even once.

Stompa

Arcane
I did that, I mean the one so that I can join the air spirits, the console seems to be broken?

If you mean hatch that lets the flying fortress out, the console is next to the door you entered, needs a power tube though.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If you mean hatch that lets the flying fortress out, the console is next to the door you entered, needs a power tube though.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I have that, but it says the console is broken.

EDIT: nvm wrong console. ty for help

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've caused a local net shortage in Teron. The merchant district is completely out. How can I get more?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So which kind of weapon you guys are using. I'm using swords but they seem a bir underwhelming even with 10 STR. Going to try another build with 2 handers and dodge instead of block.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Ok here is a question. The library, where do I find all the necessary parts (playing as a 100% talker/no combat skills loremster). Also is there anything useful in that library to even bother with it? Oh also I scared away the prospector in front of it and apparently he had one of the parts to start generator on him :(.

Shin

Cipher
So in Maadoran as an assassin I've run into a serious bug as I'm pretty stuck now. After the quest to kill the Lady you get no chances whatsoever to restock before your next target. So I'm totally out of piercing ammo and now have to fight 4 guys in heavy armor with no real chance of harming them. I'd use some liquid fire, but since I can't exit the assassin's guild, I'm stuck. Now I realize the target of the quest is quite high profile and all that and they might not want you to leave... buut this might be fixed by just not being 'forced' into the next target after finishing up the previous one.

edit: any chance to spawn items with the console or anything? i just need a handful of piercing ammunition :(

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So which kind of weapon you guys are using. I'm using swords but they seem a bir underwhelming even with 10 STR. Going to try another build with 2 handers and dodge instead of block.
One handed sword or knife, with a high evasion... Makes it so much easier when enemies make you counterattack them to death

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Ok here is a question. The library, where do I find all the necessary parts (playing as a 100% talker/no combat skills loremster). Also is there anything useful in that library to even bother with it? Oh also I scared away the prospector in front of it and apparently he had one of the parts to start generator on him :(.
Go to maadoran and talk to the old lore master at the top of the observatory.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
So can someone tell me a decent assassin/dex fighter build?

Currently trying a 7/10/6/6/7/4 build with daggers. But it doesn't seem to be working very well.

I am playing assassin(high str/dex+ dodge,dagger,crit str,streetwise and sneak) trying to sneak into daratan compound. on my way to throne room
i can sneak past all but one guards. i kill him, get to throne room and meet the lord. all three dialogue options(persuasion,body count,beg for forgiveness) end in me getting tortured and killed:retarded: is doing the quest for dellar the only option for assassin to meet the lord and live?
i really love that i cant save during my CYO parts. starting over every time i choose wrong room to enter and get shield smashed to the face :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom