Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry 8 - The worst party ever?

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I know about the best party compositions, you can find a lots of FAQs about that on the net.
But what about the worst six members party, by which the game is the hardest to finish? When you have to grind your teeth while you are playing :)
Any suggestion is welcome, thank you for advance.

Eyeball

Arcane
6 bishops. Fuck your powergaming autism, bishops are dull as shit and take ages to exploit-grind to a functional level of spellcasting competence.

Renegen

Arcane
I've been playing Wiz8 for years by randomizing my party completely, from their numbers to even randomizing what skills to max sometimes. Everything works and yet it's always challenging, what a game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah I dunno if it's possible to create a completely unplayable party. Even fairy warrior/samurai could probably work if you level up something like staves and go for crits.
Hmm, berserkering fairy with extra stun chance with a stun weapon... hmm...

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah I dunno if it's possible to create a completely unplayable party. Even fairy warrior/samurai could probably work if you level up something like staves and go for crits.
Hmm, berserkering fairy with extra stun chance with a stun weapon... hmm...
Fairy samurai should be perfectly workable - just get a lightweight weapon like pretty much all the 1h weeaboo swords or *L**S* and maximize attack# and crit.
Fairy fighter, ranger or HEAVANs forbid gadgeteer on the other hand...

TigerKnee

Arcane
I guess Gadgeteer would be fucked because of fairy's weight limits (although if you were going to gimp yourself with multiple of them, maybe you could spread the gadgets around or something)

Still, Fighter... can Fairies not equip most Swords or something?

Christ, now I feel like walking 6 Fairy Fighters through Monastery for the hell of it.

gestalt11

Arbiter
6 fairy fighters would suck pretty hard.

1) no magic so no cures except consumables
2) they would have terrible AC because they can't wear most good stuff for fighters
3) they would all compete for same gear

Gadgeteers at least get some extra spell like things from gadgets, but they would also suck pretty hard. I don't remember if fairies can use the good guns for gadgeteer. In general 6 of any class that is using equipment (melee or ranged) to do damage is gonna suck due to competing for the same stuff.

In the end though you can solo the game with a well played fairie ninja/bishop. So you can have 5 bad anythings if you want and obviously still win the game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Fairy samurai should be perfectly workable - just get a lightweight weapon like pretty much all the 1h weeaboo swords or *L**S* and maximize attack# and crit.
Fairy fighter, ranger or HEAVANs forbid gadgeteer on the other hand...
Many gadgets are very heavy but are they all so heavy fairy can't use them?

TigerKnee

Arcane
6 fairy fighters would suck pretty hard.
3) they would all compete for same gear
Well, I doubt they would be competing for Armor so...

Can Faeries wield Polearms? I think the best Polearms are store-bought anyway so competition in that field would be rather small. Been a long time since I've played Wiz8 though

DraQ

Arcane
I guess Gadgeteer would be fucked because of fairy's weight limits (although if you were going to gimp yourself with multiple of them, maybe you could spread the gadgets around or something)

Still, Fighter... can Fairies not equip most Swords or something?

Christ, now I feel like walking 6 Fairy Fighters through Monastery for the hell of it.
Gadgeteer would be massively fucked because ammo is heavy and gadgets are heavy.
Most swords are just too heavy but there are quite a few exceptions, even without weaboo gear you have pretty much all the rapiers and some nice high-level one handers. Staves would make a nice alternative.
Polearms are bad because only spear and spiked spear are wieldable by faeries, similarly maces - bullwhip followed by vampire chain not counting weaboo gear. Axes would be truly awful as I don't think there is a single one suited for a fairy.
Bard would be almost as bad as gadgeteer I think, and all those classes would bypass main advantage of fairies (magic), unlike hybrids.

From hybrids ranger would have problems carrying ammo, like gadgeteer, and lord/valk might run into severe equipment problems.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Current 6 Fairy Fighters report:
The one thing you'll notice immediately when you start a Fairy Fighter party is that unfortunately the game doesn't "smart generate" starting equipment, so your fairies all have a useless Long Sword and equip a Fairy Stick instead. If you put points into Dual Wielding the game does generate a Dagger for your off-hand though.

In retrospect, I should have started as e.g a Ranger and then Multi-class into Fighter at level 2 to get some kind of a "Bow Fighter Fairy" and save on "wasted" skill points but that might be breaking the challenge rules a little. That particular sixth fairy of mine is still kind of useless because I haven't picked up any Bows yet. Same with perhaps a Monk for my staff fairy. Too late now though!

The next thing you'll notice is that a Fairy Fighter is surprisingly capable of fucking shit up with just their Fairy Sticks. Gregor actually spent most of his time asleep because of being slammed by so many stick attacks although I didn't take any chances and hit him with several Amulet of Static charges which brought him down fast.

Burt had a Rapier so my Sword Fairy could finally use his Sword points. I don't think its preset so this is probably a "lucky" upgrade for me.

Killing is rather slow without AOE though. I got to rely on my consumables.

Getting a bit rough in Upper Monastery but that's because my game derped out and spawned like 30 enemies in one location - I hate it when Wizardry 8 does that.

Don't think the party will last very far once I get out of the Temple though - no Buffs means it'll eventually fall behind when those are expected to be used and no Locks and Traps (Poseur Cap won't last for long!) so I probably won't try to bring this very far.

I haven't tried it but I suspect Fairy Rangers in a party of 6 Fairies MIGHT not be that much of an issue - you actually have a lot of inventory space because no one is wearing armor and you don't need to carry those around either until you're ready to sell them away.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Don't think the party will last very far once I get out of the Temple though - no Buffs means it'll eventually fall behind when those are expected to be used and no Locks and Traps (Poseur Cap won't last for long!) so I probably won't try to bring this very far.
I'm thinking that yeah, you'll get wiped non-stop once you encounter ranged enemies. You already mentioned AOE problems with dealing damage, but not having any "Crowd control" to take a few out of the fight for a couple rounds. I mean, mages damage output kinda sucks, but they can freeze/web/and later their kill spells aren't too shabby. But having to fight each enemy without some kind of direct crit skill... the horror...

gestalt11

Arbiter
Current 6 Fairy Fighters report:
The one thing you'll notice immediately when you start a Fairy Fighter party is that unfortunately the game doesn't "smart generate" starting equipment, so your fairies all have a useless Long Sword and equip a Fairy Stick instead. If you put points into Dual Wielding the game does generate a Dagger for your off-hand though.

In retrospect, I should have started as e.g a Ranger and then Multi-class into Fighter at level 2 to get some kind of a "Bow Fighter Fairy" and save on "wasted" skill points but that might be breaking the challenge rules a little. That particular sixth fairy of mine is still kind of useless because I haven't picked up any Bows yet. Same with perhaps a Monk for my staff fairy. Too late now though!

The next thing you'll notice is that a Fairy Fighter is surprisingly capable of fucking shit up with just their Fairy Sticks. Gregor actually spent most of his time asleep because of being slammed by so many stick attacks although I didn't take any chances and hit him with several Amulet of Static charges which brought him down fast.

Burt had a Rapier so my Sword Fairy could finally use his Sword points. I don't think its preset so this is probably a "lucky" upgrade for me.

Killing is rather slow without AOE though. I got to rely on my consumables.

Getting a bit rough in Upper Monastery but that's because my game derped out and spawned like 30 enemies in one location - I hate it when Wizardry 8 does that.

I haven't tried it but I suspect Fairy Rangers in a party of 6 Fairies MIGHT not be that much of an issue - you actually have a lot of inventory space because no one is wearing armor and you don't need to carry those around either until you're ready to sell them away.

Yeah faerie sticks, while low damage, are still quite quite good early on and even pretty good offhand weapons for longer. The sleep is actually quite strong, but you are not gonna kill that fast. The real problem is lack of any buffs or cures and that faeires even with the bonus faerie AC will wind up with mediocre AC and getting multiple guys to do above mediocre damage is gonna be real spotty. Oddly the multiple faerie sticks make the very early beginning kind of ok.

Actually, I think the advice in this thread has been very poor. 6 faeries will be tough at the beginning, but you'll be fine once you level up your skills (less str damage = more hits = greater skill rise = it will balance out eventually).

The worst party, in terms of not being able to finish the game, is 6 lizardmen fighters. You'll do fine early, even without crowd control spells, but you'll run into an insurmountable wall once you have to pass through areas of enemies with 'target the entire party' mind-control/insanity spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom