Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Saver of Things

Failed to RTFM
I was actually thinking of another option, like uh,

I: Where do you live?

Purely for research purposes to determine where the largest amount of beautiful flowers are so that our EvuluzLord can save the effort of going to different places to pick them all up.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Similarly just because they ascribe meaning to elemental forms doesn't mean we do. I don't think the ability to summon wolves, tigers, or dragons says anything about us in our own mind.
Nah, I didn't mean 'in our own mind', I meant - if we summoned wolves, or are known to summon wolves, would it make us a 'Holy Man' in their eyes or something? Farland saw us summoning half a hundred of them, and didn't make a big deal out of it - except for noting that we were, indeed, very powerful. And now he is 'horrified'. I don't really know what could have caused that, except for some really jarring breach of etiquette - or was he aghast not at what we did, but at the possible consequences our actions might have caused? :?

Ah, well, I was the one who wanted to bring Lucy for the same effect. Guess I have nothing to complain about. :D

Perhaps this combination will work better:

F>B>C>H>A>G
Should have dropped all pretense and voted straight for D>C>H>B>A>G. :decline:

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
How would Lucy have done in the fight against Wisteria, treave? Lucy's stats are equivalent to or better than Arlin's in everything save Magical Defense and Agility, after all. :M

ScubaV

Prophet
“Now that you cannot move… it is over, Sir Trider. You will now face not one, but six powerful lightning elementals!” declares Elmont as he raises his hands up to the night sky. “Come, divine familiars of the Sky Goddess! Burn the skies with your howl!” Surges of electrical energy erupt into existence on both sides of Elmont, flapping his beautiful purple robes in a dashing and dramatic manner. They coalesce into six shining wolves, their majestic manes sparking with blue light. Snarling and pawing at the ground, they stare at you. The audience shouts out in disbelief at the sight of those wolves. As if Elmont had been forced to use them to deal with you, that there was no other way to defeat this rude mage with a big hat.

Here it is. Then this:

You do not hear Argius’s mumbled apology clearly. The barrier is still up: it was designed only to stop magical energy and little else. As the mood settles down slightly, and the crowd are able to fathom what they are seeing, the atmosphere changes. Dark muttering, hushed whispering, and the like: it looks like your spell is not something that sits well with them.

Meanwhile, Elmont’s face has frozen into an impassive mask. Moving jerkily, he backs away, gesturing at his wolves, his mouth a tight, drawn line that betrays little of what he is feeling underneath.

“Sir Trider… I do believe you can call off your pet now,” says Argius, facing you down sternly. The corner of his brows twitch with a nervous tic. You look around: Archmage Julius has vanished. Where has he gone off to?

“Now that Count Algonquin has retired for the night, should you not do the same?” reminds the Queen, a tone of impatience creeping into her voice. You glance around the garden. There does not seem to be much welcome left here for you. Farland, in particular, has a horrified grin on his face. When he catches your eye, he shrugs and shakes his head.

I'm not sure why my hypothesis is so hard to believe, but if you have an alternative explanation Nevill I'd be curious to see what it is. As for the date question, I'll switch to a bigger gamble. If it works it works, and if not, her reaction should be entertaining.

G > E

Nevill

Arcane
I'm not sure why my hypothesis is so hard to believe, but if you have an alternative explanation Nevill I'd be curious to see what it is.
I am not arguing with you. I said it was plausible. :?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Makes me wonder what would have happened if we called down a dragon. :M
Screaming, people running for their lives as it knocks over towers and such, probably some fatalities, the queen demanding we be subdued, a harrowing chase through the night as we kidnap Wist - which we should do right now if the date thing fails btw. A top-hat wearying villain can do no less. :M

ScubaV

Prophet
I am not arguing with you. I said it was plausible. :?

I'm not attacking you or anything, just interested in some DISCUSSion since it seemed obvious to me, but you sounded rather skeptical. After all, how else are we going to decide between +10 WOLVES and +1 TIGER?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I: Where do you live?

Most of the time she's in Naguria Fortress, but she stays with the Duke while in the capital. Not particularly worth asking about at the moment.

And now he is 'horrified'. I don't really know what could have caused that, except for some really jarring breach of etiquette - or was he aghast not at what we did, but at the possible consequences our actions might have caused? :?

Etiquette or other reasons aside, he didn't want you to get in a duel in the first place.
How would Lucy have done in the fight against Wisteria, treave? Lucy's stats are equivalent to or better than Arlin's in everything save Magical Defense and Agility, after all. :M
Wisteria would've refused to fight the cow, thinking it an insult. Soon after, Lucy goes and tramples Nostrus because he insulted you one time too many. There's a bit of a furore.

Kipeci

Arcane
On other notes...

“Elmont, eh? They’ve got it out for you, Trider,” mutters Alexander. “In Methuss, his skill in magic is reputed to be second only to old Argius himself, and he’s a good fifty years younger too, with more mana reserves than even what the old man has managed to accumulate. No offense, but I don’t rate your chances of victory very highly. Elmont is good.”

This is from A Suggestion for Entertainment, I thought it interesting. Elmont's mana is obviously not too great compared to our own if he was collapsing and so on from supporting only just over a half doxen wolves, so this would seem to indicate that the top mage of Methuss is even worse. (Though he almost certainly has some nasty tricks to make up for that gap.)

Also, is it just me or did Fortunio's bandits suddenly grow quite a bit in population? Now they're at 40 I think, I'm pretty sure it was around ten or so earlier?

Nevill

Arcane
Etiquette or other reasons aside, he didn't want you to get in a duel in the first place.
This is understandable, since it puts us - and him, via a proxy - at odds with his brother and Duke Hargreave, and these are the two people in the Kingdom you do not usually want to mess with. (Me? I want those two dead and buried.)

However, his reaction has gone from facepalm at us putting Arlin upfront, to a horrified grin, which I find a bit peculiar.
I'm not attacking you or anything, just interested in some DISCUSSion since it seemed obvious to me, but you sounded rather skeptical.
Well, I did offer an alternative explanation. Nobody expected us to be that strong, and even a barrier that was supposed to keep the duel contained failed to prevent it from spilling out.

It's a bit like pulling out a C4 when participating in a fireworks show. Even if a joker doesn't do much with it, you don't want to deal with a crazy who could've killed everyone if the mood took him. Argius nervousness could be taken that way.

Admittedly, it's a weaker explanation than them ascribing some unintended meaning to our actions.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
On other notes...

This is from A Suggestion for Entertainment, I thought it interesting. Elmont's mana is obviously not too great compared to our own if he was collapsing and so on from supporting only just over a half doxen wolves, so this would seem to indicate that the top mage of Methuss is even worse. (Though he almost certainly has some nasty tricks to make up for that gap.)

Also, is it just me or did Fortunio's bandits suddenly grow quite a bit in population? Now they're at 40 I think, I'm pretty sure it was around ten or so earlier?

Yeah, they increased their number by 30. Clearly Fortunio is working hard in his recruitment drive. Also, not having fucktons of mana points doesn't mean a mage isn't skilled, I bet that Archmage is most certainly perfectly capable of casting deadly spells, even if he can only do so once or twice. Moreover, this world probably has mana potions somewhere to take care of this problem (that, or using the mana from another "volunteer" in order to bypass that problem).

Nevill

Arcane
Elmont would not have invited himself along on the date, if we had stumbled into the casting of demon magic by accident
Or, as a fellow mage, he realizes that a shape of an elemental is a matter of taste, not one of religion. Which is not something you can expect from a noble who separates magic into noble sorcery (when their guys are doing it) and foul witchcraft (when everyone else does it).

I guess we might need an explanation for that one. A shame we turned the guy down. It's not like we are going to get any privacy anyway. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
I still regret that we didn't send Arlin on the date and then shadow him ourselves. It would have been awesome to whisper him hints from the bushes.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
However, his reaction has gone from facepalm at us putting Arlin upfront, to a horrified grin, which I find a bit peculiar.

Well, he would have had much the same face had you dropped your pants and shit on the lawn.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, he would have had much the same face had you dropped your pants and shit on the lawn.
We have to keep something for a more important occasion, after all... if we ever get invited to an official event again, that is. :M
TOME G
Baltika9 H
Gobblecock F>H>G
archaen H
Esquilax D>F
Karwelas A>D
Nevill G>C
Grimgravy D
lightbane F>B>C>H>A>G
asxetos G>H
Elfberserker A>G
Kipeci D>B>!F
wjw G
Jester C
Azira H>C>G
ScubaV G>E
Lambchop19 G>C>H
Storyfag B
Rex Feral F>H

Votes raw/potential/flops:

A - 2 (p.3) - (1) Elfberserker -> G
B - 1 (p.3)
C - 1 (p.5)
D - 3 (p.4)
E - 0 (p.1)
F - 3 (p.4) - (0) Gobblecock -> H, lightbane -> H, Rex Feral -> H
G - 6 (p.10) - (8)
H - 3 (p.8) - (6)

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Since Erd is not going to get laid anyway, why not try to ask some interesting questions? For example:

I: "So I heard Methuss has an Angel. What can you tell me about this? And where I can find him?"
J: "Do you know something about these sacred artifacts that belonged to one of the Legendary Heroes?"

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Most of the time she's in Naguria Fortress, but she stays with the Duke while in the capital. Not particularly worth asking about at the moment.
The codex has never actually been on a date, so they're thinking of the questions they usually ask strangers that creep them out.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wist Points

A. “What are your hobbies?” +1

B. “What do you do for work?” +1

C. “What is your family like?” 0

D. “What do you think of the political situation of this kingdom?” -1

E. “What sort of men do you like?” -1

F. “How important is sexual compatibility to you in a partnership?” -5

G. “Is Nostrus really your fiancé? How did the two of you end up together?” 0

H. “What is one thing you would like to know about me?” +1

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A Quick Tour

You ask Wisteria about Nostrus and their engagement. She jerks visibly at the question, her eyes darting left and right. “You are a very blunt person, Muhchacraken. This could be considered to be a rather personal question,” she complains. “Why is my relationship with Count Algonquin of interest to you anyway?”

“It’s just strange. A shady noble like him with a blossoming knight like you, if you know what I mean.” You are vaguely aware that it is a pretty horrid line, but the words have slipped through your mouth before your mind could hold it back.

“I-I do not know what you mean. Not a single ounce of your words make sense to me,” flushes Wisteria. Despite her displeasure, however, Wisteria answers your question all the same. “If you must know, it is an arranged betrothal, and hardly some secret to be kept.”

“Duke Brescia?” You hazard a guess. Wisteria’s expression tells you that it has paid off: you are right. She merely shakes her head and informs you politely – but sternly – that this line of conversation does not interest her in the least. Instead, she launches into a full-blown guide mode, explaining every street and building that you pass by, rattling off names and details in what seems to you to be an attempt to distract herself from having to talk to you too much about personal stuff.

In quick succession, you are shown the palace (again), a bustling market (full of overpriced items), a local barracks (full of sweaty men), the Adventurer’s Guild (full of boisterous braggarts) the city’s library (full of dusty and boring historical tomes), the adjacent tower housing the Royal Caster Society (full of smug sorcerers), and various interesting spots commemorating some hero or another who had bravely gave their lives in battle. There had been many heroes through the kingdom’s long history, it seems. Only a select few passed peacefully, with the rest being of the sort honored for their tragic sacrifices.

“That is the nature of the game,” you mutter.

“Pardon me?” Wisteria pauses, in the midst of telling you a story about some whip-wielding champion that had courageously fought back an invasion of vampires, turned into one himself, and then walked into the sunlight to end his own life.

“I said, what a shame.” You laugh. “There seems to be a lot of threats from non-human species. Are they still a problem?”

“They haven’t been, not for a couple hundred years now. After the Human Alliance defeated the demi-humans in the last Great War, they have kept to themselves,” says Wisteria. She adds carefully, “Of course, we do have contact with one of their countries, Luna, but… it isn’t much.”

“Have you ever fought one before?” you ask.

“I have fought wild goblins and lizardmen on occasion, yes,” she replies. “At times you have straggling raiders straying in through the Sea of Sand to the south, or across the mountains from the west. There is also a slime infestation upstream of Amscray that we have never been able to eradicate. We regularly send our rookies to train there. Luckily… or perhaps unluckily, depending on how you look at it, I have never had the opportunity to cross swords with one of the more powerful races, like the beastmen or the demons.”

“Hm… what about angels?”

Wisteria looks surprised. “Angels? Those fairytale monsters? Well… I suppose if they actually existed still, I would not even attempt to face one. That would be foolish; a feat worthy of those able to stand in the realm of heroes. I have a long way to go before even glimpsing that domain.”

“You are too hard on yourself, Wist,” you say, affecting a kindly voice. “Your swordsmanship is superb.”

“I do not possess even a fraction of the Knight-Commander’s skills,” says Wisteria humbly, a tinge of red appearing at the edges of her pale ears. “Besides, you yourself are surprisingly skilled with a blade, Muhchacraken.” She appears to be about to ask you something but falls silent, looking away awkwardly. The conversation does not appear to be going where she wants it to go. With a deep breath, she begins talking again, changing the topic. “So, there are not many more places I can think of that would be of interest to you. Shall we call it a day?”

Rin and Aria are still nearby: you last spotted them underneath a large parasol that obscured their heads. Perhaps you should call it a day before they do anything to ruin it. On the other hand…

A. You ask to go to the highest point in the city. It would provide you with a great vantage point of the city itself and the surrounding lands, and best of all, you have also heard that high places can help get the heart beating fast, increasing the chances that a spark of romance will ignite.

B. You ask to be led to the best riverside location in the city. It will offer you an insight into the volume of trade travelling the rivers, as well as a perfect spot to stop, take a break, and admire the sights. Best of all, you have also heard that women generally consider riverine tours to be romantic.

C. You ask to be brought to the seedy side of the city. The brothels! The gambling dens! The slave pens! The tour that she has led you on has been remarkably sanitized: you are sure Yuiria has its shadier side, and you would like to see it with your own eyes.

D. You get out while the going is good, call it a day, attempt to extract a promise from Wisteria to have another day out together, intercept Rin and Aria before they get up to any mischief, and return to the tavern. You have seen enough of the city for the moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom