Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Age of Decadence Released

hivemind

Nah, maxing body count is mechanically pointless, so you might as well make it hard to do.
You mean numbers wankery on forums is not a mechanical part of the game ?

EDIT: also it actually isn't because bodycount is checked in dialogues

anus_pounder

Arcane
May I ask, from where is you guys and your studio based? Europe somewhere I presume.

AoD Team -

hqdefault.jpg

Mozg

Arcane
I lost the PW/email for Gozma and didn't care to ask someone for help instead of making a new account because I never read GD anymore. I also didn't think I'd be posting 50 times in a couple days because I've gotten obsessed with AoD.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
uWc6l1y.jpg

Hey bros, just killed the raiders outside the Monastery and went inside looking for the majifick extract. Elder dude pulled some bullshit about it being thievan, but I'd have none of that bamboozling on my watch.

Made my way into the holy area despite the guard's protests, but my poor dumbfuck of a brute couldn't pick the safe. Oh well, back to basics! Went outside and the villagers ganged up on me, trying to kick me out for trespassing.

Naturally, I attacked and killed them too, lovely fight, and quite tricky until I went after the archers first. Anyhow, started looting their bodies, innocently thinking the key would be on the elder. Then 100% terror struck: mah lootan dindufind nuffin! No key anywhere!

Now the safe is taunting me and it's unbearable. Even if the old man swallowed the key it should be possible to hack him open for it! This game has some nerve denying me my prize!

The damage is done and my pain from sub-par raiding will always remain, but YOU can prevent further player trauma like this. This is why I tell my story. Please consider righting this wrong of the ages by adding the safe key to that yellow-robed cracka!

Mozg

Arcane
A constitution/body count check to have the fortitude to chop a man to pieces to find a small key in his alimentary canal is so AoD it's honestly ridiculous for it not to be in the game

Ezrite

Learned
So how do one even do with a ranged build in this game? Archers was my bane for long but I cannot imagine surviving in a tight room with a crossbow as 4 armoured nutjobs and a least half that amount of archers and javelin throwing douchebags is trying to rip you a new one.

uWc6l1y.jpg

Hey bros, just killed the raiders outside the Monastery and went inside looking for the majifick extract. Elder dude pulled some bullshit about it being thievan, but I'd have none of that bamboozling on my watch.

Made my way into the holy area despite the guard's protests, but my poor dumbfuck of a brute couldn't pick the safe. Oh well, back to basics! Went outside and the villagers ganged up on me, trying to kick me out for trespassing.

Naturally, I attacked and killed them too, lovely fight, and quite tricky until I went after the archers first. Anyhow, started looting their bodies, innocently thinking the key would be on the elder. Then 100% terror struck: mah lootan dindufind nuffin! No key anywhere!

Now the safe is taunting me and it's unbearable. Even if the old man swallowed the key it should be possible to hack him open for it! This game has some nerve denying me my prize!

The damage is done and my pain from sub-par raiding will always remain, but YOU can prevent further player trauma like this. This is why I tell my story. Please consider righting this wrong of the ages by adding the safe key to that yellow-robed cracka!

I think you can find another "majifick extract" somewhere else.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
So how do one even do with a ranged build in this game? Archers was my bane for long but I cannot imagine surviving in a tight room with a crossbow as 4 armoured nutjobs and a least half that amount of archers and javelin throwing douchebags is trying to rip you a new one.

High dodge, light armor and poison, and leave the fights in tight rooms for later. The bandid camp and the outpost are surprisingly easy for a ranged build. And even if you prefer a standard or heavy crossbow, you should always carry a hand crossbow in your belt to use when you get cornered.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
uWc6l1y.jpg

Added for the next update.

Mozg

Arcane
You can use hand crossbows at point blank? The AI always tries to move away when it has a hand crossbow.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You can use hand crossbows at point blank? The AI always tries to move away when it has a hand crossbow.

Yes, and they have a better THC. The only annoying part of playing with a ranged build is the obligation to manually select between diferent types of arrows and reload every single time you attack - the exception being some mean crossbows that can reload five arrows at once.

Ezrite

Learned
High dodge, light armor and poison, and leave the fights in tight rooms for later. The bandid camp and the outpost are surprisingly easy for a ranged build. And even if you prefer a standard or heavy crossbow, you should always carry a hand crossbow in your belt to use when you get cornered.

Ah nice. Maybe thats how I can get the "Kill" both camps achievement since this "overpowered" build a guy had posted on Youtube is not something working very well for me. Damn, everyone is Usain Bolt. 8 dex and yet ALL start ahead of my bulky axe-blocker.

What you recommend to balance up a crossbower with for those two outdoors fights? Class and such.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Ah nice. Maybe thats how I can get the "Kill" both camps achievement since this "overpowered" build a guy had posted on Youtube is not something working very well for me. Damn, everyone is Usain Bolt. 8 dex and yet ALL start ahead of my bulky axe-blocker.

What you recommend to balance up a crossbower with for those two outdoors fights? Class and such.

I don’t have a optimized build in mind. In general, I give more importance to DEX and PER and less importance to STR. Try to look on the internet for an optimized build. Now, about the backgrounds and factions:
If you choose an assassin background, you can ask Coltan to make a strong poison for you when you decide to poison the outpost. Besides, he can teach you alchemy 2 or give you free alchemy ingredients, which helps. Another option is to begin as a thief to buy the special five-arrow-reload on the tavern. You can also play as a merc and join the imperial guards. Notice that you can also invest into a little bit of crafting to make an improved crossbow, with more THC bonus, and to make new arrows when you are out of ammo. The rest is up to you.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Anyhow, started looting their bodies, innocently thinking the key would be on the elder. Then 100% terror struck: mah lootan dindufind nuffin! No key anywhere! (...) The damage is done and my pain from sub-par raiding will always remain, but YOU can prevent further player trauma like this. This is why I tell my story.

:hero:

I laugh hard every time someone cry about gated content on this thread, because I know all too well my own traumas. However, it’s precisely because this gating is so bitter that its unlocking taste so sweet. That is especially the case when you have to use items and have a “aha!” moment. In these scenarios, the unlocking is so exhilarating that becomes the reward itself.

Esquilax

Arcane
If you guys think of some alternate paths for some quests that make sense within the context of the quest/narrative, post them.

In the quest to take out Lorenza (AG 5), I thought it would be interesting, and a lot of fun, if female characters had the option of sneaking in and posing as one of Lorenza's odalisques. If you have good CHA (i.e. are pretty), the ruse works, allowing you to get the drop on Lorenza. Would be nice to have some more sneaky options for dispatching targets in the assassin quests in general.

Mozg

Arcane
I don't understand how that crit strike dude did it. Partially: I dunno how there are that many kills to get in the game. Like if you fought every multicharacter battle a thousand times to make sure you got every kill? I dunno if the game has been out long enough to reload enough to do that.

Did the AI always use aimed attack as much as it does in the current build? From trying a no-defense build myself I don't see how you could do it without reloading until all your 20% attacks hit.

Insight and probably an AI bug: If you have extremely low defense (like, 1 dodge, not wearing a buckler, heavy armor) enemies will not do aim:arm on you, but instead they'll waste attacks doing aim:leg when you ain't gonna be dodging shit anyways. My previous attempt at a "zero defense character" was me using a buckler with 1 shield skill, and the AI knows not to aim:leg a blocker.

Now to figure out where the dude found all the extra kills

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Three options
- Ducking in a corner and setting up a liquid fire barrier
- Running around the house like mad and hoping for effective doges
- Switching to dagger

All three worked for me (altho it was a bow not a crossbow)

Ezrite

Learned
I don’t have a optimized build in mind. In general, I give more importance to DEX and PER and less importance to STR. Try to look on the internet for an optimized build. Now, about the backgrounds and factions:
If you choose an assassin background, you can ask Coltan to make a strong poison for you when you decide to poison the outpost. Besides, he can teach you alchemy 2 or give you free alchemy ingredients, which helps. Another option is to begin as a thief to buy the special five-arrow-reload on the tavern. You can also play as a merc and join the imperial guards. Notice that you can also invest into a little bit of crafting to make an improved crossbow, with more THC bonus, and to make new arrows when you are out of ammo. The rest is up to you.

Three options
- Ducking in a corner and setting up a liquid fire barrier
- Running around the house like mad and hoping for effective doges
- Switching to dagger

All three worked for me (altho it was a bow not a crossbow)

I gonna have to keep all of these things in mind then. I think I almost got all lore and story down by now. Just some things left before I think I seen it all even if my memory is the worst and I have to take B12 vitamine medication, lol. I already forgot half of it.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Added for the next update.

May the Lord God bless you!

For ranged builds I like crossbows better because they don't need high strength and they can knock back enemies. The extra space from knock back is a godsend when you're up against melee apes. Also, when enemies are on their backs you always hit, even with aimed attacks, so you can easily cripple them. They are particularly good for high-dex/per talkers because you can use the scooped versions sold in Maadoran to snipe enemies to make up for a rather low crossbow skill. Sniping works even at short-range, and while it costs a lot of AP, it raises THC by a ton which is very useful to nail those dodgy crackas. I finished the game with 6 crossbow and 6 dodge on a 10 dex 4 con dude mainly due to the power of the snipe (plus usual fiddling with alchemy, poisoned steel bolts and so forth). Didn't get the power armour though, would probably need more dodge for that, but most fights were a-ok.

My sleazy loremaster Herveanus did some serious majifick with the bolter, too, which counts as a crossbow. The Inferniae fight was the most fun (when you return and attack the guards to gain entry again, then have to fight the whole village while stuck in that narrow pathway). Those crazy villagers kept rushing and I dropped them like zombies using poisoned barbed steel bolts and black powder bombs, switching to heavy scooped crossbow every now and then to snipe the archers with armour piercing missiles. Great fun.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I gonna have to keep all of these things in mind then. I think I almost got all lore and story down by now. Just some things left before I think I seen it all even if my memory is the worst and I have to take B12 vitamine medication, lol. I already forgot half of it.

Try to use feint with hand crossbow when you are surrounded by your enemies. Sometimes, it helps.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
You can only...

become a god with the grooved sphere at the start of the game, right?
You can also get one at the wall, but only under very special conditions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom