Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shepard gets more extreme - summary executions!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I can't believe people are attacking ME's lipsyching, voiceacting, and facial expressions. It should be obvious to all the most inane that ME easily trumps most games out ther ein tersm of that.

I think those whining about lack of extremes are just playing games, and trying to be 'funny'. If theya re trying to be serious, they're just lame.

The dialogue itelf is fine for the most part.People bashing the writing obviously lack experience in playing RPGs; because not too many games have better writing. ME uses one of the basic rules of good writing - KISS. You shouldn't need 5 paragraphs to ask a basic question ala PST's overwrought (but overall good) writing style.

My biggest beef with the dialogue is that you don't get to know what you are exaqctly gonna say until after you choose the option. My preference is knowing that before hand so, by default, ME's dialogue system isn't my favorite.

The combat, and gameplay look fine. At least ME allows you to pause the game during the action for those who aren't into real time style combat as much.

LONG LIVE MASS EFFECT!

spacemoose

Erudite
Callaxes said:
Oh and you could've been 100x more extreme in The Punisher. In fact choking people to death and making them spill their guts out, riping them in half with a crane, using them as shark bait and smashing their faces on the fucking concrete was apart of the gameplay, actualy it was the CORE GAMEPLAY.

ho ho looks like someone has out-extremed mass effect even before it's come out. I will be looking into this, thanks

aries202

Erudite
Hellraiser said:
What no head shots? No on screen execution? That's supposed to be EXTREME? Come on Sheppard should castrate the guy and make him eat his balls.

Is it me or does every dialog choice end with an EXTREME sentence? It's like Sheppard is unable to say even the simplest of things without being extreme.

choice : "I need to go to the toilet"

actual spoken line : "I need to annihilate the shitter with my extreme fecal matter"

No, it doesn't. It is just the default no-nonsense Jack Bauer in space type character that Bioware has chosen to market - for reasons :roll: best known to themselves. Maybe they think the 17-21 years old boys or young men would better identify with the Jack Bauer in space :?: If they did, I think they are sadly mistaken.

However, it doesn't seem that if you choose the intimidate option over the charm option, the dialogue will end differently. And the written line 'you're making a mistake' has no indication that Shepard is going to say: * I just killed 50 people*. But maybe it will be more clear in the course of the game :?: Let's hope so :)

JoeDirt

Scholar
the voice acting in ME is terrible. Shepherd has the charisma of an automaton and his facial expressions are really bland when he's delivering his "threats".

also, the voice actor's voice (for shepherd) is really soft and womanly; not manly enough for who shepherd is supposed to be.

better voice acting and more extreme choices would make ME worth playing. i agree with spacemoose's sentiments; as things stand now the game seems mediocre. the combat looks very slow and tedious, they should've gone full action instead of this crap. hopefully the PC port will have a quick-slot bar to map spells so u don't have to open up a menu to cast them.

Bio promises an extreme action-RPG, jack bauer in space, then pussies out and delivers at best, lorenzo llamas in space.

BOOOOO

BOOOOOOOO
BOOOOOOO

Texas Red

Whiner
"because not too many games have better writing."

O RLY? Though ME may be fun, it is the MOST generic piece of crap called "sci-fi"(youve gots robots n shit) one can possibly imagine. I wont be surprised if Bioware didnt hire any designers because hell, who cares about plot and setting anyway? AMIRITE? Thats why the game seems like some bullshit written by a talentless dude who got all his ideas from blockbuster Hollywood movies.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Spacemoose said:
ho ho looks like someone has out-extremed mass effect even before it's come out. I will be looking into this, thanks

First of all it's an action game.

Secondly. Please do. It's a great pop-corn game. Virtualy no storyline and endless amount of ball breaking, head smashing bone ripping action. Killing was never so easy :lol:

69185_thepunisher.jpg

Think Shepard can beat that?

roshan

Arcane
Trash said:
To me it looks more than good enough. Seems like there will be choices aplenty in the aproach to npc's, encounters and quests.

The bitching about "extremism" sounds like just that, bitching for the sake of it. If the game will offer choices extreme enough we'll see after it's out. And my god, since when did this become that important? There is much more to be worried about. Will the choices have real consequences, how will the combat turn out, will the game be any fun to play through, will the exploration be any fun or are the different planet's just linear dungeons a la kotor?

I dunno, but we'll see.

If I want choices with consequences, I can go and play Fallout or PST. Right now extremism is all I want from Mass Effect. If they can deliver that together with consequences, then fine, otherwise, not a big deal.

Deleted member 7219

Callaxes said:
Spacemoose said:

First of all it's an action game.

Secondly. Please do. It's a great pop-corn game. Virtualy no storyline and endless amount of ball breaking, head smashing bone ripping action. Killing was never so easy :lol:

69185_thepunisher.jpg

Think Shepard can beat that?

What game is that?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Frank Castle's Adventures in Wonderland

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
It's a shame that Thomas Jane or Jonathan Hensleigh won't be returning for the second film. Bunch of wankers. :cry:

aries202

Erudite
And now you can help :) :D make Mass Effect even more extreme. Yes, you :!: Just participate in this exciting contest about JOKES that Shepard, or Ashley or Kaidan might say. And you can WIN a great prize. (it's a signed piece of Mas Effect concept art, so maybe it not so great after all, or maybe it is :?:)

Here's the link, though:

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=104

Maybe some if VD's fake interview screenshots from last finally can come to glory & honour. I'm sure the Codex can come up with a witty dry remark (even though they're standing near water - in the screenshot).

Anyway, help make Mass Effect more extreme. (if you want to, that is :) )

DemonKing

Arcane
None of that crap was EXTREME...this is EXTREME:

The single sex scene is brief and undetailed, although there is breast nudity in one version of the scene. The sex scene is triggered by the player making a series of choices about becoming more than friends with a colleague. If playing as a male character the scene can take place between him and a human woman or a humanoid female alien. If playing as a female character the scene can take place between her and a male human or a female humanoid alien.

So in the world of Mass Effect, all males are straight stoic hero-types but females are prepared to carpet-munch entirely different species of the same gender? Hell - sign me up!

Gwendo

Augur
I see nothing wrong with facial expressions and voice acting, if we compare them with any game released to date and those who are about to be released.

At least, it has better facial expressions and voice acting than Fallout...

About not showing the execution... It's better that way. Sometimes, not showing things, is better. Like Sauron in Lord of the Rings. The fact that we didn't know, see or hear him, made him be more ominous than it would haven been otherwise. Another example, is a woman's body. A piece of cloth can make her more sexy than a completely nude body...

Erzherzog

Magister
Just a couple points I feel like making.

-This game is shaping up to be like an old-fashioned Hollywood B-Action movie.

Then again, Resident Evil started out somewhat similarly to indy horror flicks...

-Unless I'm mistaken, you can customize your characters voice. Is the voice somewhat high pitched in your view? Change it.

I'm not saying that the lines deliver much in the way of emotion, however.

spacemoose

Erudite
Gwendo said:
I see nothing wrong with facial expressions and voice acting, if we compare them with any game released to date and those who are about to be released.

no doofus the voice acting fucking sucks. to borrow a phrase from volourn: AND THAT'S A FACT. GAME OVER BOOYA

he doesn't even raise his voice when threatening someone.

as for facial expressions - there's only been one so far.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Gwendo said:

It's hard to judge by what little we've seen, but they seem drastically worse than, for example, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I also think that the voice acting, at least, seems notably worse than KOTOR, which is probably a more useful comparison (because VTMB is fucking brilliant).

On the other hand, they are enormously better than Oblivion. Ultimately, I think they're disappointing but not embarrassing.

JoeDirt

Scholar
oh yeah, ME's voice-acting is lightyears behind Bloodlines. and the facial expressions? Pff, can't even touch HL2's character expression system.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I love the way it's cut. The love interest goes "Shooting people isn't always the answer!" and then it cuts into a scene of the three shooting people. Grand.

denizsi said:
On a different note, combat leads me to believe that the sole reason Bethesda has even decided to implement a system (VATS) that pauses the gameplay for combat options, is only because other AAA action titles with mass-media attention had already done so, Mass Effect and Crysis being the prime examples, and they would simply be left behind obsolete if they didn't follow the trend.

Actually, if you imagine a different interface and remove ME's power moves (the character skill based powers) with Fallout 3's power moves (the character skill based aimed shots), that bit of combat plays out pretty much exactly how Fallout 3 combat did in the demo I saw.

At least, it has better facial expressions and voice acting than Fallout...

Not really. I mean, "meh" on the facial expressions, but "hell no" on the voice acting.

JoeDirt

Scholar
the talking heads in the original Fallout had fantastic voice acting. much better than what's been shown of ME so far

cardtrick

Arbiter
aries202 said:

Ha! Most of these responses are unimaginably unfunny!

For those who couldn't be arsed to read the link, the contest is to post something funny in the forums about this screenshot.

So far, the only one I laughed (well . . . smiled) at was:

Bioware forums dude named IGotTheMeat said:
It was the odd looks that made Ashley realize she forgot to wear black to the funeral.

EDIT: whoops, it's iGotTheMeat, not IGotTheMeat. Steve Jobs, maybe?

Someone from the Codex really ought to go post something . . . I think it would be pleasingly ironic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom