Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #74: Enhanced Edition - Before & After

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Can be also anything that can be customised. In the past i loved the vanilla Eclipse look or the XCode look, but nowadays i prefer colored text or light gray on dark gray or dark blue background, because it is more eye friendly for me. Perhaps this guy thinks this also.
I thought that they have developed in Visual Studio their own engine, so this could be their own thing.
Considering that they made the enhanced edition mainly for XBoxONE than Microsoft Visual studio makes sense. If that is true than it is even possible that they planed this while on D:OS very first kickstarter. (Smart Management)
After further analysis it is visual studio indeed.

Yes and due to the good sales of DOS they had a few millions more for a EE, than inXile.
Nah, I'm pretty sure that's completely irrelevant, Inxile moved on to Torment and left a skeleton crew to work on the console port. I'm sure they could have done more for it, but what Bubble's said is more logical, Larian is working on a sequel that uses the same framework as the first game, most of the effort put into D:OS:EE could be used for D:OS 2. Not to mention I really do think D:OS has a lot of appeal to console gamers, especially those on Xbox, who bought into the Fable series in droves. Similar visuals there, and the focus on co-op, but pretty much a better game in every way.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Xenich said:
Are you saying that the interface changes completely based on the inputs? I mean, if that is the case, great, but... in games of the past, the console interface tends to set the tone and pace of the PC interface.

Looking at the console version they are using, if the menus in the PC version are anything like the that demo, then console design is dictating functionality and that is my concern. If not, no worries.
Yes. This has been known since the start.
Actually hope it can be set manually too.
Don't get me wrong, I'd never touch a console controller, but streaming to my htpc and playing from my couch sounds pretty interesting if the text can still legible.

Darkzone

Arcane
Nah, I'm pretty sure that's completely irrelevant, Inxile moved on to Torment and left a skeleton crew to work on the console port. I'm sure they could have done more for it, but what Bubble's said is more logical, Larian is working on a sequel that uses the same framework as the first game, most of the effort put into D:OS:EE could be used for D:OS 2. Not to mention I really do think D:OS has a lot of appeal to console gamers, especially those on Xbox, who bought into the Fable series in droves. Similar visuals there, and the focus on co-op, but pretty much a better game in every way.
I agree nearly with everything you said there and i took most of itl into my previous considerations, but i disagree on the money aspect. The money difference is very important and very large, because D:OS has sold twice as many copies as WL2 did, even without the discount that WL2 had. If inXile had the same amount of money that Larian has, then they could easy hire a larger crew for WL2 DC. But they don't have the money so they couldn't, and they were left to the skeleton crew on this closure. While D:OS EE is more then just a combat and engine update, it seems to be a more complete overhaul of the entire game. The combat and engine updates are maturally a prerequisite for D:OS 2, but all the other work on D:OS EE has simply no intersection with with D:OS 2. And Larian has hired many new people (perhaps as much as 30 new employees) and open different new offices (Ireland, Kanada, Russia), besides the core office in Gent.

Last edited:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Looking fucking fantastic, glad I delayed my playthrough of the game until the Enhanced Edition was released.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah, DOS:EE has production values that border on AAA, it's different from the competition in cRPGs where you can tell the hard budget limitations.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Linux version 4-5 weeks longer. At first I was consumed with rage, :argh:, but given that I've had to wait so long for it now I couldn't really care less any more. I have other games to play. Assuming it does eventually appear then I'll suddenly wake from my hibernation and play it.

The increasing console focus since the EEs were announced is disturbing, but hopefully Larian will use the money wisely and not switch alignment.

Still, Swen, no day/night cycle, no linux version for the original release, Ultima7 spiritual successor => shiny sideshow for console loving sofa-surfers, now a delay... I'm very disappointed. :(

Will still back next game, damn you.

Xenich

Cipher
The increasing console focus since the EEs were announced is disturbing, but hopefully Larian will use the money wisely and not switch alignment.

This also worries me. Though some here have said they have specifically kept the interfaces separate. That is a start, but they need to keep a strong eye on "console design creep". The problem isn't them making a console version, the problem is getting into a "console" style mindset where such begins to appear in the PC design of the game. It can be a very subtle aspect of influence and if one isn't paying attention, it can drive themes of design in both versions.

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
And DOS2 is beeing developed on the PC for the PC, and I think it later will be ported.
If I trust anyone to manage to not fall into console trap, it's Larian :)

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
If I trust anyone to manage to not fall into console trap, it's Larian :)

11348.jpg

Beware the angry sheep of destiny if they start to slip from their high ground.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm excited about this. A new challenge, all that, 2 handed weapon style, dual wielding, revamped texts, etc.
All good man, all fucking good.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Yeah, DOS:EE has production values that border on AAA, it's different from the competition in cRPGs where you can tell the hard budget limitations.

There are plenty of low budget games that look fantastic, the problem with inxile is that they have shit taste, shit designers, shit engine.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Maybe they could get a deal with Larian to license DOS:EE engine?

:troll:
They could do much worse than the awesome D:OS engine, but that would imply cutting into Fargo cocaine profit margins, it's cheaper to hire random codexers slap a developer tag on them and say 'try not to spend too much money on unity plug-ins' .

krist2

Augur
Patron
Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have no problems with them making money from the consoles, as long as console design restrictions becomes a part of the PC game..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom