Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Maybe that's what inXile's new office is working on.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
3zDM76d.jpg

Such a great pre-order bonus, you guys!

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm quite sure this never happened. Real time Diablo RPG, though? First time I heard that one.

I'm curious - what's the source of all these "evil Brian Fargo wanted to ruin Fallout" rumors? We know for sure that Tim Cain felt some degree of disgruntlement towards Interplay management back in the day, but as far as I'm aware he never actually said anything explicit about anybody. Is this like an urban legend that's slowly grown over the years, taking on increasingly outlandish elements?

20:29
21:26
28:02

look at all thsese rumors straight from the mouth of Tim Cain!

Also, did I say Fargo actively wanted to ruin Fallout 1? Stop putting a spin on my words like a douchebag.
What he surely did was to ruin Tim's Cain vision for Fallout 2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Brian has a lot of positive qualities" also comes straight from his mouth, though. :P It's the marketing guys who were doing these things.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Brian has a lot of positive qualities" also comes straight from his mouth, though. :P It's the marketing guys who were doing these things.
So instead to acknowledge that you were talking shit, you take that statement designed not to hurt someone's feelings and present it as proof for absolution. For fuck's sake!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So instead to acknowledge that you were talking shit, you take that statement designed not to hurt someone's feelings and present it as proof for absolution. For fuck's sake!

I don't see what's so far-fetched about the idea of marketing guys in a large corporation pushing for a game to be cancelled, rather than its CEO. We have other evidence of similar things happening, eg: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9447

"[Fargo] was very in tune with the games that we were making," Urquhart says. "Particularly I remember a project review meeting on Fallout 2. We get into the meeting and I'm presenting." The presentation was not playing well to the gathered marketing execs. They made some suggestions about changing the game's art style. "We'd have to redo all the art," Urquhart says. "I wasn't as good at dealing with executives. I didn't want to just say, 'That's stupid.' Brian, he's like, 'No, it doesn't make any sense to change the art. People love the art in Fallout.' That ended it. I don't know a lot of other CEOs that would have been as understanding of the situation and the product and able to head off something like that. It could have really hurt us."

And speaking of Fallout 2 and Feargus, Tim Cain comes across as a bit of a primadonna in his Matt Chat interview about that: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9599

Also, did you know that Fallout 2 was originally going to be developed by another team because Tim Cain and co. didn't want to do a sequel? Apparently, they suddenly changed their minds after the original was released, and took over the already existing Fallout 2 project, scrapping much of the initial work...before leaving again not long afterwards to found Troika. Feargus doesn't outright state it, but it's not hard to see where the bad blood surrounding that project may have come from.

You might say that there's a conspiracy to cover up Brian Fargo's sins here, but in this same interview, Feargus also contradicts something Brian said and makes him look kind of bad, so yeah, I dunno. Believe what you want to.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I think you need to check your timeline on Tim and Fallout 2. It's definitely the point where he and Interplay/Feargus/Fargo had a bit of a falling out.

http://www.duckandcover.cx/content.php?id=7

Calis: Say, Fargo accidentally left the FO license in his pants when he quit IPlay and his wife sent it to you with a note "Here you go, love, [insert name]"

Tim Cain: Ah...ok, here's my multiline response (Tim Cain story hour time)...When I finished FO, I was exhausted and tired of FO. After all, I worked on it for 3.5 years! So I gave the whole thing over to my assistant producer and started thinking of a new RPG. Well, things weren't working out. Fargo wanted me to take over. I said no. He said I owed him, for the opportunity he gave me to do the first one. So I started FO2. But things were still bad. People secondguessed what was good for the game, and they wanted in on it, since it looked like a "big thing" now, not some grade B product, which was what FO was viewed as. So I got tired of this whole thing. I felt like I was in a dark hole. So I left. But that was 4 years ago. I have done another game, and designs on 3 other games. I wouldnt mind returning to FO, but not with those people running it.* There, I'm done. Whew!

There were also some stray comments from Feargus in #fallout (the irc channel, not the hashtag) where he would throw some snide jabs about Tim calling him 'our god' derisively and whatnot. Even shit-talking Cooter (RIP lil buddy), the monster.

*I think he meant Herve here.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Feargus says Tim changed his mind and suddenly wanted back in. Tim says Brian Fargo asked him to return. Who's telling the truth? Fuck, these people work with each other now. Isn't this awkward?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Maybe they all got over some spat that happened 20 years ago. They must have realized that working with CRPGs they'd always be roaming the same circles.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Memory is a bitch. I'd trust Tim, totally divorced from the situation in 2002 and coming off Arcanum, over Feargus in 2014 in an interview setting. Not saying Feargus was lying, at least not intentionally, we all make our own mythologies in our heads about the way things go down.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Feargus says Tim changed his mind and suddenly wanted back in. Tim says Brian Fargo asked him to return. Who's telling the truth? Fuck, these people work with each other now. Isn't this awkward?

News whore plays both sides of fence...Film at 11. :shock:

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, whatever the case, it turns out that the real conflict was Cain vs Urquhart, not Cain vs Fargo. You can hardly blame the man for trying to drag Tim Cain back to the Fallout series, right?

Meh, whatever. Back to talking about Fallout 4 popamole.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Fallout 4 is currently steam top seller nr 1 and fallout 3 goty is nr 6.

Interesting that today Fallout 3 goty beats in sales New Vegas ultimate which is far far behind.

It's like a 2nd life for fallout 3, man, bethesda must be cashing pretty much on a 8 year old title, goddamn.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Fallout 4 on PC on dvd will contain only part of the game, rest you have to download. Pete said that i's to prevent piracy, while console versions are on blu-ray and whole data on disc.

giphy.gif

[Fallout 4 on PC] comes with a disc and a steam authentication key. if you don't have a DVD drive, you can just use the [Steam] key," he explained. "The game disc has actual install data ... though you will still have to download from Steam. The disc doesn't contain the entire game."

Explaining why the content had been split in this way, in comparison to the console versions, Hines noted that "PC requires activation on Steam" while "console does not." He added the console versions "ship on Blu-rays, PC ships on DVDs."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-pc-discs-dont-contain-full-data-partial-/1100-6431658/

darthaegis

Cipher
There's Fallout beer now, brewed by Carlsberg:
http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-beer-is-a-thing
XyfmJD_S5VnU.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Do you like Fallout? Do you like beer? There's a chance you may like the Venn diagram intersection of these two interests, Fallout Beer, which unlike Nuka Cola is actually a real thing that you can buy and drink. Brewed by Carlsberg, Fallout Beer is a 4 percent ABV pilsner with, we're told, "a refreshing zesty hoppy taste and a floral aroma," available in 330ml bottles.

"This is something of a world-first," Carlsberg UK Corporate Affairs Director Bruce Ray said. "Adult participation in videogaming is a truly social activity, on a par with cinema and music. We’re proud to work with Bethesda to produce a beer Fallout fans can enjoy."

It's 100 percent marketing guffola, obviously, and a bit of a stretch as tie-ins go, but props to Bruce for at least acknowledging that people of legal drinking age do in fact play videogames. That's the good news; the bad news, such as it is, is that Fallout Beer is only available in the UK. It's also not cheap: A 12 costs £30/$46, which is literally double the price of regular Carlsberg where I live—and where I live isn't known as an especially cheap place to buy beer.

Ah, but who am I kidding? If I could buy a case of this stuff, I would. And I bet Tim would too, even though he thinks Carlsberg is muck.

In slightly more relevant news, Bethesda tweeted today that Fallout 4 is now "complete"—all 27 versions of it. It comes out November 10.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
It's probably the same pilsener they sell under the main label. Totally inoffensive and flavorless, remind you of anything?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom