Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Hopefully there's no healing and/or invulnerability, hate that shit in TF2.

Sigh, where are the good old Quake 3 Arena days when you'd "snap head shot" someone with the Railgun and trained that for weeks to be able to pull that off at a reliable rate.

Might as well compare counter-strike to battlefield.

Last edited:

AngryKobold

Arcane
I wonder how bombastic, how AWESOME!!! the cinematics must get before Blizzard realizes the obvious: how pathetic it is.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I wonder how bombastic, how AWESOME!!! the cinematics must get before Blizzard realizes the obvious: how pathetic it is.

Check the comment section in the video. There's no hope for this industry. Everyone is either a retard who swallows superficial AAA shit 'cause OMG AWESOME GRAFIX or some ideological no talent cunt who makes some shitty pixel art crap that barely even qualifies as a game and gets called a genius for it.

I was about to say that it might be the only decent thing to come out of blizzard's cursed womb in recent years, but then i noticed it'll have healers too. For fucks sake, CAN THERE BE A CLASS/TEAM BASED SHOOTER WITHOUT FUCKING HEALERS?

:badnews:

AngryKobold

Arcane
A clone of a succesful franchise must stick to existing principles. No surprise here.

Andhaira

Arcane
I was about to say that it might be the only decent thing to come out of blizzard's cursed womb in recent years, but then i noticed it'll have healers too. For fucks sake, CAN THERE BE A CLASS/TEAM BASED SHOOTER WITHOUT FUCKING HEALERS?

:badnews:

I don't think Counter Strike and it's variants have healers. That's still the goto for realistic type/old school shooters AFAIK.

Anyhow, I play TF2 sometimes when I need a quick FPS fix; yes I now there are better single player FPS out there but I enjoy playing against other humaniod creatures. But I don't really like TFII that much, so I am hoping Overwatch will scratch that itch better. The cartoony art style is stupid, but they go for that because it is less system intensive and lasts much longer (this will be a Blizz cash cow for 10+ years, or so they are hoping I bet)

I like the diversity of the units and the named hero's and most of all, that you cannot (apparently) have more than one hero in a team. That's cool. I also like the ultimate abilities and the varied weapons/ secondary abilities. Seem more fun than TFII's limited armory.

Already have a hard on for Farrah, hoping she will be my main. Was a bit bummed her flying will only be a vertical/semi horizontal hover-jump, not actual flight.

http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/
http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/

They're showing trailer and game-play now at blizzcon . Looks like TF2 with "anything goes" art design.

Worse, it looks like an attempt to copy TF2 art design by someone who thinks it really is 'anything goes'.

Whatever flaws TF2 might have, the art design is superb from a functionality perspective. Each character is instantly recognisable, and from the very 1st game you have zero difficulty mixing up opponents' classes. All of them are distinctive from the far side of the map, and (more importantly) they are all distinctive even when only a small fraction of the model is visible (you can instantly recognise each class, even if there's only a limb or the top half of their head sticking out of cover).

What's more, the design is excellent at flagging what each class does. If you've never played the game before, the visuals make it very easy to spot where the 'danger zone' is for each enemy. E.g. the soldier's eyes and posture (looking into the distance) make it instinctive to realise that he can be dangerous from long-distance, whereas the squat posture from the demo gives you a sense of safety at distance and a sense of danger when the demo gets close. You're never stuck guessing which classes will have high HP and which will be squishy, the difference between L1, 2 and 3 sentries are immediately obvious at range....from a pure functionality perspective, the design is great.

I don't think Counter Strike and it's variants have healers. That's still the goto for realistic type/old school shooters AFAIK.

I meant class/team based shooter where you have both, classes and a team versus team gameplay. Besides, after getting to global in cs:go i felt like it was inferior to 1.6 version in every possible way, which still baffles me. I can understand RPG's declining over the years, but shooters? really? How did they fuck that up?

BF 3 and 4 were decent half-way measures, but with EA's greedy payment model and overall shallow mechanics it's just not worth it. Scale didn't help either, 32x32 shitfest got old quite fast.

Isn't it dead?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Worse, it looks like an attempt to copy TF2 art design by someone who thinks it really is 'anything goes'.

Whatever flaws TF2 might have, the art design is superb from a functionality perspective. Each character is instantly recognisable, and from the very 1st game you have zero difficulty mixing up opponents' classes. All of them are distinctive from the far side of the map, and (more importantly) they are all distinctive even when only a small fraction of the model is visible (you can instantly recognise each class, even if there's only a limb or the top half of their head sticking out of cover).

What's more, the design is excellent at flagging what each class does. If you've never played the game before, the visuals make it very easy to spot where the 'danger zone' is for each enemy. E.g. the soldier's eyes and posture (looking into the distance) make it instinctive to realise that he can be dangerous from long-distance, whereas the squat posture from the demo gives you a sense of safety at distance and a sense of danger when the demo gets close. You're never stuck guessing which classes will have high HP and which will be squishy, the difference between L1, 2 and 3 sentries are immediately obvious at range....from a pure functionality perspective, the design is great.

Obviously you haven't played the game in quite some time.

Maintaining the "art design" of TF2 went out the window the minute Valve realized they could make the community create digital attire for them, put it on the market and rake in millions of dollars off other people's work.

Last time I played the Engineer could wear a bomber's jacket that made it very hard to distinguish him from the Soldier or the Pyro, especially at a distance. The Spy has a similar coat that makes him resemble the Sniper at a glance.

TF2 really is "anything goes" at this point - anything that can make Valve money.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's so people can play with their gfs.

The problem when you make a class that is forgiving enough that a "Gurmer Girl" can play it competently - is that anyone actually good at these types of games will inevitably pick that class and just dominate with it until it's nerfed in the ground.

I used to love Playing a medic in Wolfenstein ET - I never healed anyone but myself and just dominated as an immortal killing machine.

EDIT:
That's not true.. I would stab people with a needle so I could level up faster.

abija

Prophet
It's not a problem when the whole game is designed for "Gurmer Girls". Might be wrong but so far it looks like a FPS designed for people who can't aim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom