Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Wargame: Red Dragon

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If there was, it wasn't strong enough. Flying a plane near any kind of AA in ALB was suicide. In RD, you can usually get away with flying over light AA cover (although your plane will be grounded for repairs for a while).

They might've changed how it's calculated. IIRC, AA veterancy bonus to hit was applied after ECM in ALB. So veteran AA (which would happen after 1-2 kills) pretty much ignored ECM. I think in ALB the ECM is a flat miss chance applied separately from the hit/miss calculation from the initial projectile.

Anyway, the impression I got is that RD planes are a lot less likely to go up in flames to a random MANPAD. And they generally seem to see more action in RD than ALB. Which is good. Just a shame navies turned out mostly useless. I think the only time I saw them have an effect was in some 4v4 where I dropped a patrol boat with hellfire missiles in a river to stop a tank push.

Last edited:

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
There was ECM in ALB, it just wasn't necessary due to the availability of planes in ALB. Polish MiG23BN spam was real. And wonderful.

ALB was the plane game way moreso than RD, RD most planes are limited to 1/2 cards with, typically, 1-3 planes per card. I think that's fine, the plane spam in ALB was really ridiculous, I'm just more upset they made a bunch of 40-50% ECM SEAD fighter-bombers. They rule the air superiority game which is realllly silly, plus they fire fuck you missiles at AA as they dog fight. Again, really silly.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Eh, most dedicated air superiority fighters will fuck SEAD planes up.
They have missiles with a range of 7km and 5-6 HE damage which will often stun a SEAD plane before it's in range to respond with its own missiles.

What nation has these mythical SEAD planes that can engage an air superiority fighter and do more than scratch the paintwork?

The russian Mig25BM has 4 missiles. 2800m range, HE power 3, accuracy 50%. So it needs to hit with all 4 vs enemy ECM to get a kill.
The norwegian puff has 3150 range, HE power 4 and 2 missiles. So even fi both hit, the enemy is still flying.
The UK Sea Harrier FA2 has same armament as the norwegian Puff.
The kwan, french and polant SEAD planes have no AA missiles.
The Worst Germany Tornado ECR has the same missiles as the puff. It has 4 of them, so it could theoretically get a kill. But the availability is terrible so it'll be rookie, where most air superiority fighters are hardened, vetern or elite.

At most, the "fighter-bomber" seads will make your regular air superiority fighters (which are what you should be using to kill SEAD) spend a little longer being repaired after bagging 120+ points. And it's not like other multirole planes won't fire mavericks and sidewinders at the same time either.

Last edited:

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
AAE9BA6419208ECF8FD3029B3C57E2AAB99B835F

These motherfuckers are in every other game, and then they also have one with 6 AMRAAMs that they send out with it. Blue Dragons are stacked as fuck.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:what:

How did I miss that plane?
Never seen blue dragons much in my games. I'm definitely making some now

160 pts for 1000km/h + high ECM + amraam + sead? yesplz

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Plus you get

F299EC6698DC8ACF2D40A09D73D79B241C1F0282

123572EC287DC91D46DD6D1FED38E76C618AD05E

F8FEC07CBD93D7C5F92AEF7B0BA4D8CDF944792D

E23E1F0D4E2D0CAEC2884681933AC45BFA97AAEF

694E0165D8A8A632F25C0FADDE3383E0BD74FF96

428DE7306E10729F56E26C098DAE1199CD1C5ED2
DD22C2EA40E8776930DD444D99BCD57449D4DAD3

0974BD3EA68D8BD663423854A7C567703B607B11

plus a bunch of good shock and SF infantry with a million fucking grenade MG APCs.

They're so fucking ridiculous, their only real weakness is a weak vehicle section but who even gives a fuck about vehicles in this meta, they're (mostly) useless unless you're French or Chinese.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Laughing stock?

They have those 1 ton bombs and some 'k artillery, but mostly their tech is shit-tier compared to USSR or even china.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Serious question for the RD regulars. So, what role, if any, do the best koreans fulfill?

They have a massive amount of shitty arty, and spammable, good infantry. Oh, and T90s, because, why not. Other than that, they're fairly weak on their own, most use either the China/NK Coalition or USSR/NK Coalition, where they fill gaps that the other country doesn't have.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Campaigns are different so there's that. But the game was really meant to be played in multi. The AI is mediocre-to-shit. And only RD has an active multiplayer lobby.

Beowulf

Arcane
Last time I played Wargame I got XP and levelled up.

Units, when hit, also displayed damage numbers. We should move it to RPG forum, where it belongs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom