Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Holy shit! Holy, fucking, goddamned, mother fucking shit. Kojima, you did it again. Here is this game, which I consider the worst in the series, and I was basicly meh about it while I was playing it. And there comes the true ending, and the game redeemes itself. This fucking twist. Briliant. The game suffers from cut content heavily, and Konami fucked it up, but dammit, Kojima pulled the ace from his sleave.
You played that other guy all the time, not the real Big Boss. When the fake Boss listened to the casette about the thruth, and he suddenly pulled a little evil smile at the mirror. At that moment, everything clicked into place. Because I had no idea how Naked Snake/Big Boss could be that asshole from MG1. And he was not, this fucking fake Boss is the one who gets corrupted, because he sees himself as the legend. It explains the child soldiers in MG2, because this fake Boss starts to train children in the game. And the Ocelot Kaz dialogue after it, which refers to the forecoming events. That Ocelot will take the side of Eli/Liquid, if Kaz goes back to Cipher/government with the other boy aka Solid Snake.
Funny how my emotions changed while playing the 46. mission:
- annoyance: can't believe that they even rehashed the first hospital mission.
- confusion: wait, something is different, what is this photo with Big Boss
- disbelief: holy cow, we are not the real Big Boss, our whole character is a lie
- :bounce:: this is really happenning, Kojime tied the storyline together masterfully

That said, while the story redeemed itself, the game structure is still ass. The game basicly ends 4 times. First after Mission 30, with the main storyline. Then at mission 43, Quiet's ending. Then at mission 46 with the so called true ending. And while I haven't played it yet, I assume at mission 50, the last mission.

This is worse than the last Lord of the Rings movie. :D

One question guys, should I play the last 3 missions? I see that they are rehashed missions from before, just in higher difficulty setting. Is there some story connected to them, any cinematics which I get (even is something small)? If there is nothing, then I don't want to waste time with playing them.

Last edited:

Adon

Arcane
Holy shit! Holy, fucking, goddamned, mother fucking shit. Kojima, you did it again. Here is this game, which I consider the worst in the series, and I was basicly meh about it while I was playing it. And there comes the true ending, and the game redeemes itself. This fucking twist. Briliant. The game suffers from cut content heavily, and Konami fucked it up, but dammit, Kojima pulled the ace from his sleave.
You played that other guy all the time, not the real Big Boss. When the fake Boss listened to the casette about the thruth, and he suddenly pulled a little evil smile at the mirror. At that moment, everything clicked into place. Because I had no idea how Naked Snake/Big Boss could be that asshole from MG1-2. And he was not, this fucking fake Boss is the one who gets corrupted, because he sees himself as the legend. It explains the child soldiers in MG2, because this fake Boss starts to train children in the game. And the Ocelot Kaz dialogue after it, which hints the forecoming events. That Ocelot will take the side of Eli/Liquid, if Kaz goes back to Cipher/government with the other boy aka Solid Snake.
Funny how my emotions changed while playing the 46. mission:
- annoyance: can't believe that they even rehashed the first hospital mission.
- confusion: wait, something is different, what is this photo with Big Boss
- disbelief: holy cow, we are not the real Big Boss, our whole character is a lie
- :bounce:: this is really happenning, Kojime tied the storyline together masterfully

Except you're wrong. The timeline at the end makes a very specific distinction when describing the Outer Heaven event. Big Boss in MG2 is still the same BB from MGS3-GZ while his phantom/body double is the BB you meet and "kill" in MG1.

omega21

Arcane
Twist doesn't make up for how unfinished game is, and I didn't find it "brilliant". Maybe I just don't care enough about the MG1 and MG2 plot.

Only thing I liked was the Zero tapes.

"hints the forecoming events" - lol, it isn't hinting if we already know what happened, I think the word is "refers to the forecoming events"

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Twist doesn't make up for how unfinished game is,
Sure, I explicitly say that the game is still lacking at other areas. But the story at least made a comeback in my book.

"hints the forecoming events" - lol, it isn't hinting if we already know what happened, I think the word is "refers to the forecoming events"
Ok, ok, you can surely forgive some of my misteps in the english language.
Except you're wrong. The timeline at the end makes a very specific distinction when describing the Outer Heaven event. Big Boss in MG2 is still the same BB from MGS3-GZ while his phantom/body double is the BB you meet and "kill" in MG1.
I believe he is still that asshole from MG2. The ending only retcons the MG1 storyline... From what I read in this thread and wikis...
Yes, sorry, I missed that part. So MG2 Big Boss is the real, and MG1 is the fake. Still, it is a pretty good twist.

omega21

Arcane
Still think that story wasn't well executed - for example, learning about plot-related things from listening to tape while sitting in helicopter instead of gameplay. Others have covered this point though.

I used to hate the twist, but in all fairness it isn't terrible - it just really came out of left field considering all the marketing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Still think that story wasn't well executed - for example, learning about plot-related things from listening to tape while sitting in helicopter instead of gameplay. Others have covered this point though.
Yeah, I also could write a long list about the faults of the game, but everything has already been said. This is still the worst MGS games in the series, but not a bad game at the same time.

But I can agree with you about the tapes. They are an awful way to tell the story, especially when they are several minutes long sometimes. When I was tired, I almost fell asleep listening to them.

Say whatever you like about 30 minutes CG movies, they are at least fun to watch and develop the story as well as these tapes.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Why are people so surprised by this twist, if each time you start a level it calls the protagonist "Punished Venom Snake" instead of any recognizable name?

Caim

Arcane
Say whatever you like about 30 minutes CG movies, they are at least fun to watch and develop the story as well as these tapes.
Remember the bell conversation between Skull Face and Code Talker?

Imagine having a movie of that instead of a tape.

Adon

Arcane
Now we can't say that Otacon cucked his dad and caused him to kill himself and take his daughter with him like before. Instead it's all because he was a piece of shit some 30 odd years before. :decline:

Why are people so surprised by this twist, if each time you start a level it calls the protagonist "Punished Venom Snake" instead of any recognizable name?

I'd probably blame it on the crackhead, conspiracy theorists that are Metal Gear fans. Ever since MGS2 they've come up with the stupidest shit every time before a new game is released that I just assumed most people ignored and didn't think Kojima would be dumb enough to try and pull it off again.

MGS3 was a time-traveling Solid Snake, or it's all a VR mission!
MGS4 has Snake using the facecamo to look old, but he's actually young!
MGR is a grown up Sunny as a cyborg, clearly this is the case because the eye color is different from Raiden's!
MGSV has Gray Fox as a protagonist, he just had face surgery to look like Big Boss!

Last one is close, but you get my meaning.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Calling him Punished Venom Snake is of no indication for the twist, since Kojima is calling Snake in different names all the time. Naked Snake becomes Big Boss, Solid Snake becomes Old Snake. But if you figured it out from the name itself... here, have a cookie.
Remember the bell conversation between Skull Face and Code Talker?

Imagine having a movie of that instead of a tape.
Haha, true, there were many shitty tapes. I didn't listen all of them, especially some of Code Talker's when he is vomiting worlds about languages. Obviously not every tape should have been turned into movies.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
the shit that annoys me is all of the ocelot magically and flawlessly predicting the future, its fucking annoying

"BOSS MAN LIKE WHAT IF IN THE FUTURE THE WORLD IS NOTHING BUT WAR, WAR, WAR 24/7 AND ITS ALL CONTROLLED BY AIS THAT ZERO SET UP. THIS MAY HAPPEN!"
Well this thing already started to happen during the game. There is war economy, and they knew about the AI Cipher developed, so it is not a stretch to guess that the world will work like that.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Calling him Punished Venom Snake is of no indication for the twist, since Kojima is calling Snake in different names all the time. Naked Snake becomes Big Boss, Solid Snake becomes Old Snake. But if you figured it out from the name itself... here, have a cookie.
I don't pay enough attention to figure it out myself, but I imagined after I learned about the epic twist that just pulling out twenty more names for the protagonist would make all the hardcore MGS fans sperg out with theories right away, as they tend to.

MapMan

Arcane
I finished the story of MGS5. Now I understand why people who cared about MG story got so upset :hahyou:
The game itself has a lot of filler, only a couple of missions are noteworthy and I wish whole game would be like that, give me 10 or 15 missions like the code talkers mission instead of filler shit all the time. In general, most MG games had interesting themes and plots but in the grand scheme of things the story is really fucking retarded. Oh well, I enjoy MG games for what they are; just sit back and watch the butthurt show :cool:

Kefka1134

As much as I played and enjoyed MGS over the years... the excitement of downing Vamp on harder difficuly, replaying the tanker mission over and over because of how detailed it was, collecting all the dogtags, beating the MGS1 torture sequence for the first time, being confused on psycho mantis, the run and gun with eva at the end of MGS3, the still entertaining boss fights of MGS4... unfortunately the experience was always trending in the wrong direction in terms of overall fun to be had..

You could really just feel it in 4, just felt so tired, so many lengthy conspiratorial benders they eventually just became one too many.

There really is nothing in 5 that looked to buck that trend at all.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Haha, true, there were many shitty tapes. I didn't listen all of them, especially some of Code Talker's when he is vomiting worlds about languages. Obviously not every tape should have been turned into movies.
You should, Code Talker tapes are the best ones and really make me buttmad they weren't presented in cinematic format because Kojima gave the plebs what they wanted and barely had any cutscenes in the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
You should, Code Talker tapes are the best ones and really make me buttmad they weren't presented in cinematic format because Kojima gave the plebs what they wanted and barely had any cutscenes in the game.
Meh, I listened many of them, but i didn't find them particularly interesting. Except for the hamburger ones, those were awesome. :D

Caim

Arcane
Konami's currently living up to that phrase used in the advertisement of Metal Gear Solid 4:

No-Place-for-Hideo-Kojima.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Nah, NO PLACE FOR HIDEO is a reference to the first teaser for MGS4 from 2006, which was the finale of Kojipro spending most of the early hype trolling the players that Hideo would have nothing to do with MGS4:

The only time I know of when Kojima was seriously challenged by the production team IIRC was his proposed original ending with Snake and Otacon being sentenced to death (that's where picking Here's To You as credits song comes from), but the team was completely against it and felt it would be far too depressing.

Last edited:

omega21

Arcane
The only time I know of when Kojima was seriously challenged by the production team IIRC was his proposed original ending with Snake and Otacon being sentenced to death (that's where picking Here's To You as credits song comes from), but the team was completely against it and felt it would be far too depressing.

Hadn't known that, thanks for the info. Presumably not sentenced to death after storming Outer Haven? That doesn't really make sense.

Vaarna_Aarne

Hadn't known that, thanks for the info. Presumably not sentenced to death after storming Outer Haven? That doesn't really make sense.
The idea was that Snake and Otacon are still wanted criminals for their actions as Philanthropy, mainly destroying billions upon billions of government property.

Though odds are that Kojima had also been watching Sacco e Vanzetti a lot.

Last edited:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
The idea was that Snake and Otacon are still wanted criminals for their actions as Philanthropy, mainly destroying billions upon billions of government property.

Though odds are that Kojima had also been watching Sacco e Vanzetti a lot.
Would've been a fucking cool ending.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom