Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post a screenshot of your first RPG

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Was pretty poor growing up, my first electronic device capable of playing video games was PSX (bought like 1-2 years after PS2 came out). This is both my first video game and RPG.
battle1_large.jpg

Still basically the best Final Fantasy for me.

As for CRPG:
hqdefault.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the PC, EoB, although it was on a friend's PC, because all I had was my glorious ZX-Spectrum.
Eye%20of%20the%20Beholder%20%28DOS%29.jpg

I think this was technically my first RPG, although at the time I didn't think of it as such. It was just this big, imposing game that I didn't quite understand and was too lazy/distracted to really dig into properly past the first few levels.

Zeriel

Arcane
Far from my first, but this is one of the first I distinctly remember being really into:

BLpVBsh.jpg

The shareware golden era was incredible for PC nerds.

Grubba

Arcane
Is that an old BBS rpg Game?

Yup, Legend of the Red Dragon (or LORD for short). Played it on a small local BBS back in the day...I remember there could only be one person connected at a time and the game had daily resets at midnight so it was a battle to see who could be the first to connect at 12:01 so you could kill other players and do your shit before anyone else. I also remember playing Falcon's Eye and Exitilus

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think this was technically my first RPG, although at the time I didn't think of it as such. It was just this big, imposing game that I didn't quite understand and was too lazy/distracted to really dig into properly past the first few levels.
When we played it, we didn't quite understand you could right-click on the characters' hands to attack with their weapons or cast spells. We guessed you could do it, but never saw a proper RPG before, and left-clicking just removed the objects. My friend discovered that you could pick up and throw things and enemies for some minuscule damage. So that's how he did it, by throwing packets of food and potions at monsters. He got quite far into EoB2 with his method (his copy of EoB1 had copy protection at the end of the first level, and we couldn't bypass it).

So we mainly played Quest for Glory or Prince of Persia instead.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Far from my first, but this is one of the first I distinctly remember being really into:

BLpVBsh.jpg

The shareware golden era was incredible for PC nerds.
Amazing! I have been looking for this game for years, but could never find it. Couldn't even ask, because all I remembered from the demo was that it was kinda top-down, character development was rewarding, and the character sprites looked kinda like potato sacks. Now I've got to check it out and see if there is a full version out there. Thanks!

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Amazing! I have been looking for this game for years, but could never find it. Couldn't even ask, because all I remembered from the demo was that it was kinda top-down, character development was rewarding, and the character sprites looked kinda like potato sacks. Now I've got to check it out and see if there is a full version out there. Thanks!

You missed my Aethra thread?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Tunnels of Doom for the TI994A. I can still play the music in my head. :cool:

Not strictly related, but my first encounter with a com-pu-tar was a TI994A in my local department store when I could barely stand unsupported. I still have a thing for silvery metal boxes and black keys thanks to that encounter...

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I must've been 6, or 7, played this with my dad. The graphics were awesome and you had to freeze a swamp, that blew my mind.

12731-lands-of-lore-the-throne-of-chaos-dos-screenshot-dawn-doesn.jpg

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't remember my first RPG, probably was a console jrpg like pokemon (blue), but the first crpg was a japanesse action rpg for the pc-98.

brandish1-pc98compare.png

But my first western crpg was Ultima IV

hqdefault.jpg

Koschey

Arcane
First year in elementary school a classmate brought his game boy with Mystic Quest (Final Fantasy Adventure) to school.
gfs_28959_2_6.jpg

My first crpg was Albion, or rather the Albion demo (Toronto and Nakiridaani) contained on my Siedler 2 cd. I really loved the depth of the lore and spent most of my time getting to know the Iskai and their culture.
gfs_41673_2_1.jpg

My first full crpg was, as for so many others here, Fallout. I borrowed it from a friend who had told me about it and was so totally blown away by it I completed it despite having load times of around a minute on EVERY map change. It is basically the sole responsibility of Fallout that I changed my video game focus from consoles to PC. Just in time for the dry spell in the 00s.
gfs_42123_2_1.jpg

Last edited:

Duckard

Augur
Castle of the Winds

I remember playing this from one of those "101 Classic PC Games" type CDs when I was a kid. I got to a diagonal corridor and couldn't figure out how to walk diagonally so I quit. Forgot the name until now.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
220px-Smana.PNG

These SNES graphics were absolutely jaw-dropping. I still find them amazing, but you need an old CRT for them to look good. They will look pixely on a modern TV. But an old CRT with interlacing and that CRT blur makes these games absolutely beautiful; their graphics were designed with that in mind.

epeli

Arcane
Not the first RPGs I ever tried playing, but the first ones I could comfortably read as a kid without asking big bro to translate. EFL problems.

IKH6CDc.png
j9aeIAc.gif

Skall

Learned
I must've played at least some RPG-ish titles on Atari 800XL/Commodore 64, but it wasn't until much later that I got into the genre.

On consoles:
Final_Fantasy_IV_%28SNES%29_02.png
Final_Fantasy_IV_%28SNES%29_04.png
Final_Fantasy_IV_%28SNES%29_09.png
Final_Fantasy_IV_%28SNES%29_19.png
Final_Fantasy_IV_%28SNES%29_20.png

On PC:
ultima-vii-the-black-gate_20.gif
ultima-vii-the-black-gate_26.gif
ultima-vii-the-black-gate_31.gif
ultima-vii-the-black-gate_28.gif
ultima-vii-the-black-gate_30.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom