Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus interview at Game Informer reveals Obsidian's secret project is Stormlands reincarnation

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I have always thought Fergus is simply such a liability; maybe he is a good eye for talent but whenever he is on interview he comes across as the fat kid at highschook who everybody treated like the school pet and laughed when they dared him to eat a sandwich off the floor or show his man titties
Dont known how or why publishers would trust him with their money, at least Sawyer comes across as the new age computer cool guy hipster who can show you his tattoes and shit

He's good at managing it. Kept Obsidian alive for over a decade. Black Isle was also the only profitable part of Interplay when it shut down.

Sannom

Augur
I have always thought Fergus is simply such a liability; maybe he is a good eye for talent but whenever he is on interview he comes across as the fat kid at highschook who everybody treated like the school pet and laughed when they dared him to eat a sandwich off the floor or show his man titties
I guess looks can be deceiving. Or he's so good at compartmentalizing that he comes off as completely serious and professional in front of the professionals but completely sheds everything associated with that when he interacts with people who aren't as demanding.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't think you realize just how hard it is for large independent developer to even survive. There's a reason why there's only few of them left. Feargus, for all his flaws, is doing amazing job keeping the dream alive.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dont known how or why publishers would trust him with their money, at least Sawyer comes across as the new age computer cool guy hipster who can show you his tattoes and shit
Maybe publishers care about how you actually do your work , instead of how you do interviews. And seeing obsidian alive and independent in this market, Fergus knows his stuff.
Just like the fat kid is always the smartest.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe publishers care about how you actually do your work , instead of how you do interviews. And seeing obsidian alive and independent in this market, Fergus knows his stuff.
Just like the fat kid is always the smartest.
Can confirm.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FNV was great but it heavily relied on good writing

I think it is an old misconception about Fallout: New Vegas and Obsidian games in general, that they are great only because of their writing. New Vegas was good because of its quest design, which, as it was in original Fallouts, allowed you to use different skills to achieve the same goal. This is where this game really shines.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didnt say the man is an idiot, abd yeah his achivements speak for themselves it is just that you look at Fargo or Sven and they are the driving force in their companies while you always think on somebody else in Osidian beign "the guy" from Avellone to Sawyer to Zeits but at least I dont think "Fergus is on the mutherfucker" and relax

Fairfax

Arcane
He is probably a good manager, but they seem to run the company like there's no tomorrow. They went from 75 people in their lowest point to 200 now, less than 3 years later, and they still have 20 or so job openings at the moment. The company's financial health shouldn't hang by a thread all the time. They also need better internal testing so they can pitch games and have a higher success rate.
Sure, I've never seen the cancelled projects, but it's very clear that they have far too many cancelled projects for a 10yo company. Aliens, Dwarves, Stormlands, Backspace, Prey 2 (this one inevitable, I presume), probably MCA's project, and probably more.

Feargus gets the short of the end of the stick and has to sell the idea to publishers, but nobody (or almost nobody) can do that if the product's not good enough. I have no doubt there was something very odd about Stormlands that turned publishers off. I mean, if you look at Microsoft, they still don't have an exclusive RPG. They definitely wanted one, probably still do, but whatever they saw didn't convince them, and we're talking about a company that paid for exclusives like Ryse: Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive.
As mentioned in the other thread Brian Heins project is still ongoing and he did mention they're currently on 4 projects, so it pretty much has to be the one by process of elimination alone.

Ofc, all depends on what Feargus considers to be *working on something*

Also ofc, Obsidian had secret project rumors going on for years now. They p. much all panned out with the Original Stormlands and Armored Warfare. Every project is going to be *secret* at first.
Yeah, should be Brian's project. Makes the UE4 prototype thing interesting. I'm hoping it'll be used for PoE 2 instead of Unity.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
they have far too many cancelled projects for a 10yo company.

How do you know? How many other comparably sized 10+ year old US RPG companies are there?

Right.

I would disagree with "The company's financial health shouldn't hang by a thread all the time", too. There are no other mid-sized RPG companies like Obsidian left precisely because their fate is always hanging by a thread in this industry. The fact that Feargus has been able to keep one afloat for that long is a miracle in itself. It comes as no surprise that he had to sign on side projects like AW to be able to do that, too.

Fairfax

Arcane
How do you know? How many other comparably sized 10+ year US RPG companies are there?

Right.

I would disagree with "The company's financial health shouldn't hang by a thread all the time", too. There are no other mid-sized RPG companies like Obsidian left precisely because their fate is always hanging by the thread in this industry. The fact that Feargus has been able to keep one afloat for that long is a miracle in itself. It comes as no surprise that he had to sign on side projects like AW to be able to do that, too.
BioWare, Bethesda, CDP, Arkane (not RPGs anymore, but still), Blizzard, and so on. Then you have others that don't make RPGs like Avalanche Studios, Monolith, etc. These were all as large as Obsidian is at some point, but they were more successful, and if you look at their record, they had 1, 2 cancelled projects tops. The original BioWare in Edmonton doesn't have a single cancelled project in 20 years, for example.
Sure, only CDP is independent out of the ones I mentioned, but BioWare was very successful and healthy enough to stay as an independent studio before the acquisiton. It was their choice and we all know how it ends, but regardless of what their games are/were, the doctors did a great job running the company.

Keeping a mid-sized RPG company (actually I'd say the genre doesn't matter all that much in this case, it's now one of the most successful ones) is definitely difficult, but tripling its size in 3 years doesn't help. This will lead to another moment of instability if a major project is cancelled, and then they're gonna lose talent all over again. Obsidian still has talent, but they've been struggling to sell it to publishers, for whatever reason.
Just look at Aliens: Colonial Marines. That one was funded and released, their RPG was cancelled. I'm sure the Aliens RPG was objectively better than that shit, but somehow it got canned.

Then there's also decisions like the Pathfinder deal. Why not crowdfund another game, instead of using the most generic high fantasy IP possible? One that will also be damaged by the bomb Pathfinder Online is going to be, and that it's way too close to what they're doing with PoE? I don't get it.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bioware Edmonton definitely has cancelled projects. They just don't want to talk about them.

Fairfax

Arcane
Bioware Edmonton definitely has cancelled projects. They just don't want to talk about them.
As an independent studio, perhaps. As part of EA, they would've had to disclose that. But in their independent era I really don't see many gaps. They started to work on both Jade Empire and Mass Effect right after KOTOR, while Dragon Age was right after NWN. If they do have cancelled projects, I really doubt it adds up to 6 or 7.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jade Empire 2 was canceled, as was Project: Revolver, a Laidlaw/Weekes collaboration.

I think they were different projects, but they might have been the same.

Fairfax

Arcane
Jade Empire 2 was canceled, as was Project: Revolver, a Laidlaw/Weekes collaboration.

I think they were different projects, but they might have been the same.
Jade Empire 2 was just a concept. Don't know about the other one.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
And for canceled projects dont think that they had working prototypes or were ready to hit Early Release; most of those probably died in the planning stages were yes there might be a whole lot of work done, designs and scenarios and honestly a whole lot of projects get cancelled there in all developers, even on internal pitches let alone pitching to a publisher

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jade Empire 2 was just a concept. Don't know about the other one.

Weekes deleted his livejournal in a fit of cowardice, fortunately someone saved most of the relevant posts http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/158267/some-neat-info-on-project-revolver-edit-what-could-it-be

We're doing... things... with plot hand-ins. The short and legal version is that we're looking at ways to speed up the roleplaying process, or at least the parts of the roleplaying process that need speeding up. As I've said before, I don't think that going through eight nodes about finding a magical acorn for somebody is valuable roleplaying. The guy or gal who needs a magic acorn might be written well, but at this point, it's not necessary to tell somebody to pick up the plot item he finds lying around in the nearby dungeon, and if those words can be better used elsewhere -- like in a romance, or a complex plot that actually needs some explanation, then the words should be cut. Same deal for plot hand-ins. Giving the acorn to somebody and then saying "You're welcome" or "Arrrr, pay me more" isn't roleplaying these days.

Laidlaw finally got to implement this in Dragon Age II. :)

Fairfax

Arcane
And for canceled projects dont think that they had working prototypes or were ready to hit Early Release; most of those probably died in the planning stages were yes there might be a whole lot of work done, designs and scenarios and honestly a whole lot of projects get cancelled there in all developers, even on internal pitches let alone pitching to a publisher
Aliens and Stormlands were not cancelled internally, however, and both were cancelled while the same publisher was funding terrible games at the same time. I've mentioned the MS games and Colonial Marines, but there's also Backspace, which was cancelled while Bethesda published Hunted: Demon's Forge and Brink.
As Feargus says in the interview, nobody knows if there was something they/he could've done to save a project, but the way I see it, their number of cancelled games is way above the average, and the context in which these games were cancelled makes it worse, really. There's a good chance it wasn't Feargus' fault and the prototypes were too rough around the edges or the concepts were too weird in the first place (I've seen rumors in that sense regarding the Stormlands original concept).

Even with MCA, George Ziets, John Gonzales, Travis Stout and Kevin Saunders gone, they still have enough talent to make a big hit. That will take them to a level of stability to make their own big project with their own IP and reach BioWare's status from the 2005-2009 era.

Weekes deleted his livejournal in a fit of cowardice, fortunately someone saved most of the relevant posts http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/158267/some-neat-info-on-project-revolver-edit-what-could-it-be

Laidlaw finally got to implement this in Dragon Age II. :)
Never played it. +M

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So basically, out of the list of 5 "Other US RPG companies", 3 are not independent, one doesn't make RPGs anymore, and one is Polish.

In other words, Obsidian is one of the kind, but they're doing shit. That totally make sense brah.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Aliens and Stormlands were not cancelled internally, however, and both were cancelled while the same publisher was funding terrible games at the same time. I've mentioned the MS games and Colonial Marines, but there's also Backspace, which was cancelled while Bethesda published Hunted: Demon's Forge and Brink.
You're assuming those games looked terrible to the suits at the time they decided to can the Obsidian games. At the very least they probably thought they were going to be moneymakers.

Fairfax

Arcane
So basically, out of the list of 5 "Other US RPG companies", 3 are not independent, one doesn't make RPGs anymore, and one is Polish.

In other words, Obsidian is one of the kind, but they're doing shit. That totally make sense brah.
If only you were able to read the rest:

These were all as large as Obsidian is at some point, but they were more successful

You're assuming those games looked terrible to the suits at the time they decided to can the Obsidian games. At the very least they probably thought they were going to be moneymakers.
Assuming Obsidian's games were not going to be shit (I know most of the Codex thinks PoE is shit, but I disagree), then it should've been even easier to sell them, no? RPGs have never been more successful. Fargo managed to get Hunted: Demon's Forge funded by Bethesda.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Sounds cool, but unfortunately modern Obsidian seems to play as safe and streamlined as possible... not to mention BALANCED and Chris Avellone-free.

Yeah balanced... Never thought that so much fun in RPG's came from forgoing balance in favour of player options.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Hmmm I wonder if Stormlands have anything to do with the Stormlight archive books. IF so :yeah::dance: Also Obsidian is STILL one of the best RPG companies on the market. I have faith in them.

Stinger

Arcane
There were other writers who did excellent work on NV. Travis Stout wrote Mr. House, one of the best characters I've ever seen in an RPG. But yeah, Gonzalez was main guy.

Obsidian also nailed the Brotherhood of Steel, just like they understood the rest of Fallout lore. Why Bethesda can't is a mystery.

Man Travis Stout doesn't work at Obsidian either from looking it up.

Seems his last project was lead writer on Assassin's Creed Unity.

Seriously who is actually left?

Fairfax

Arcane
Man Travis Stout doesn't work at Obsidian either from looking it up.

Seems his last project was lead writer on Assassin's Creed Unity.

Seriously who is actually left?
Out of the main writers? Only Eric Fenstermaker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom