Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 4 Released

bledcarrot

Educated
So F4, just as Skyrim, is a walking simulator that does nothing right but still strokes the autistic need to walk around killing spiders and whatnot.

Actually, autism is in part a diminished capacity to accept or understand that other people have different minds, with different desires, beliefs, and interests, etcetera. The autist simply can't fathom or tolerate that others might find something enjoyable that they don't. It hurts them. One of the symptoms is shitposting, apparently. It's clearly a shooter, not a walking simulator...because...you know...you shoot stuff in it...as opposed to walking simulators...where you do not.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I totally get this though, because while I agree with all of the criticisms here, and more, the game is fucking fun. Simple as that. The writing sucks even more than usual this time around, but anyone who plays a Bethesda game for the main quest line and story shouldn't be taken seriously anyway. Ask me to review the game with a focus on its storyline and I'd probably give it, at best, a 6. Ask me to review it as an RPG and I'd probably give it a 2. Ask me to take it for what it is, a mindless shooter with open world exploration and very light base building/crafting elements...and it's a 9 for me. I've already put close to 50 hours in to it because it's just fucking fun roaming the wastelands shooting shit. The weakness of the writing and the characters is a legit criticism, but it's just not what I play the game for, and I don't know that it necessarily has to be judged on those merits when the rest of it might be highly enjoyable. So I can see how reviewers might raise those criticisms but still give it a high score.
I know I'm eating shit, but damn it tastes so goooood and it's so fuuuuuuun.

I hope somebody somewhere someday throws acid on your face.

Black

Arcane
Actually, autism is in part a diminished capacity to accept or understand that other people have different minds, with different desires, beliefs, and interests, etcetera. The autist simply can't fathom or tolerate that others might find something enjoyable that they don't. It hurts them. One of the symptoms is shitposting, apparently. It's clearly a shooter, not a walking simulator...because...you know...you shoot stuff in it...as opposed to walking simulators...where you do not.
Then how come the gunplay is shit?

bledcarrot

Educated
Then how come the gunplay is shit?

Eh, it's a huge improvement over 3, as far as I'm concerned, but fair, it's still not fantastic. Which would still just make it a bad shooter...not a walking simulator.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If it's a bad shooter how is it fun unless you have bad standards? I mean, why not play a good shooter instead?

likaq

Arcane
CT1Xq4TUwAA2sG7.png:large

bledcarrot

Educated
If it's a bad shooter how is it fun unless you have bad standards? I mean, why not play a good shooter instead?

Because it's not just a shooter? Like I said, it's a shooter with open world exploration and light crafting/base building elements. Taken on their own, none of these elements make for a good game. Together they make for something I find pretty fun. Or I just have bad standards, if that makes you feel better about yours.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Well , it is a shooter and a bad one at that to, i have witnessed enemies spawning randomly at a spawn point in the middle of the base, also find it very annoying how you get mobbed 90% of the time even when sniping enemies from 1km somehow the Super Mutants or gunners see you and mob you while happily showering you with grenades.
It took me one day to realize not to bother trying to sneak/snipe and use VATS and just play the game like i used to play CS back in the day, strafe and shoot .

To be honest this game in my opinion is worse than say State of Decay by miles yet Bethesda somehow manages to sell the crap out of it without actually having to deliver anything but Hype.

lms04

Literate
Because it's not just a shooter? Like I said, it's a shooter with open world exploration and light crafting/base building elements. Taken on their own, none of these elements make for a good game. Together they make for something I find pretty fun. Or I just have bad standards, if that makes you feel better about yours.

Its a mediocre game and theres no description awful enough to explain how much of a horrible RPG it is.
This is RPGCodex, not CasualCodex.

Mozg

Arcane
I think the allure of Bethesda games might just be that it's zero effort or stress. In that way it's nice that the game is janky as shit and has numbing writing because you can imagine it was also no stress to make, just some guy farting around in the TES editor for a few months between eating ice cream sandwiches.

Veelq

Augur
I totally get this though, because while I agree with all of the criticisms here, and more, the game is fucking fun. Simple as that. The writing sucks even more than usual this time around, but anyone who plays a Bethesda game for the main quest line and story shouldn't be taken seriously anyway. Ask me to review the game with a focus on its storyline and I'd probably give it, at best, a 6. Ask me to review it as an RPG and I'd probably give it a 2. Ask me to take it for what it is, a mindless shooter with open world exploration and very light base building/crafting elements...and it's a 9 for me. I've already put close to 50 hours in to it because it's just fucking fun roaming the wastelands shooting shit. The weakness of the writing and the characters is a legit criticism, but it's just not what I play the game for, and I don't know that it necessarily has to be judged on those merits when the rest of it might be highly enjoyable. So I can see how reviewers might raise those criticisms but still give it a high score.
I agree, i think what reviewers did was to review this as a phat lewt shooter with funny bugs, and its a great game with that kind of criteria in mind. The same way Fallout Tactics is a tactical team based game in fallout universe and as that its very good, but when you have a criteria "is this game an fallout rpg?" both games fail and are at most 4/10. What bothers me and prolly most of you here is that Fallout Tactics was not seen as a fallout rpg, but Fallout 4 is, by Bethesda calling it an rpg, and by the number "4" suggesting its the next one in the series. I dont have a problem with Fallout Shelter mobile game? Why? because its marketed as a mobile mini game, barely put in fallout universe,that you play in a free time from work.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Just watching a piece of the playthrough... same post-apocalyptic non-postapocalyptic garbage as in FO3 and NV. She talks to the doctor, and doctor says things like "let's talk about you and your health" and "I can't recommend [other doctor] highly enough".

It's as if the NPCs live in our normal world and just vacation into the desolate wasteland for a few hours now and then.

tsabu

Novice
I agree, i think what reviewers did was to review this as a phat lewt shooter with funny bugs, and its a great game with that kind of criteria in mind. The same way Fallout Tactics is a tactical team based game in fallout universe and as that its very good, but when you have a criteria "is this game an fallout rpg?" both games fail and are at most 4/10. What bothers me and prolly most of you here is that Fallout Tactics was not seen as a fallout rpg, but Fallout 4 is, by Bethesda calling it an rpg, and by the number "4" suggesting its the next one in the series. I dont have a problem with Fallout Shelter mobile game? Why? because its marketed as a mobile mini game, barely put in fallout universe,that you play in a free time from work.

Yeah but Tactics didn't had such a huge hype train like current Bethesda games. If someone will say to you "I'm gona make for ya the best fucken Fallout game you ever seen!" and than you are getting something that.... lets say doesn't fit these promise. You gona be pissed off... You should be!

Besides... Maybe Tactics isn't the greatest Fallout rpg, but in my oppinion its still one of the best Fallout games out there. Not just because its fun, but because (especially on tough guy) its brutal and immersive in good old Fallout way. You need to think, plan, focus...if you don't your team gona get hurt...BADLY. You shouldn't even compare Tactics to these pile of shitt which is F4.

bledcarrot

Educated
Its a mediocre game and theres no description awful enough to explain how much of a horrible RPG it is.
This is RPGCodex, not CasualCodex.

Which is what makes it so amusing that Codexers spend so much time talking about Bethesda games here... as if they're somehow supposed to be relevant to this site and their interests. And you just know that at least two thirds of them pre-ordered and will rack up 100 hours plus. It's like how Republicans conduct press conferences to let everyone know how much they hate gays, then get caught afterwards soliciting strange men in public bathrooms.

Last edited:

Veelq

Augur
Yeah but Tactics didn't had such a huge hype train like current Bethesda games. If someone will say to you "I'm gona make for ya the best fucken Fallout game you ever seen!" and than you are getting something that.... lets say doesn't fit these promise. You gona be pissed off... You should be!

Besides... Maybe Tactics isn't the greatest Fallout rpg, but in my oppinion its still one of the best Fallout games out there. Not just because its fun, but because (especially on tough guy) its brutal and immersive in good old Fallout way. You need to think, plan, focus...if you don't your team gona get hurt...BADLY. You shouldn't even compare Tactics to these pile of shitt which is F4.
I agree, and i love Tactics, but i want to see it as a not canon to Fallout universe, and its fine by me. Bethesda with Fallout 3 sold this universe to masses, mostly Bethesda fans. Not to hardcore fans because then why change so much?. This is why i am a fan of companies like Bioware. I can hate their games, but they had the balls to make them their franchises, their worlds. Bethesda just bought Fallout, changed alot and now with F4 even more and sold it to masses. They could do that with their own postapocaliptic series and it would prolly be the same. But they for some reason chose Fallout.

Imagine Bethesda creating their own franchise, with their own rules, world etc. Then they can fuck with it as much as they want. And you know what? They would earn as much money as they did with Fallout. It was all marketing.

Johannes

Arcane
It is funny - and by funny, I mean horrifying - to think about how various AoD characters would turn out if they were written by Bethesda.
Antidas in AoD: Delusional megalomanic obsessed by romantic ideals of the past.
Antidas as envisioned by Bethesda: Brave, good-hearted king who was tricked and betrayed by the evil Gaelius! Now all he owns is a small town.

Miltiades in AoD: Piece of shit sociopath. He's no two-bit hustler though, the man is ambitious, amazing at thinking on his feet, and incredibly dangerous.
Miltiades as envisioned by Bethesda: A wacky, silly con man. Serves as a companion for the PC.

Gaelius in AoD: A level-headed, practical ruler. Forward-thinking. Probably this world's best shot, really.
Gaelius as envisioned by Bethesda: Cruel tyrant. You have to reach the Temple of Thor-Agoth before Gaelius comes and takes all the power within for himself!

"Miltiades as envisioned by Bethesda: A wacky, silly con man. Serves as a companion for the PC."

That's basically how he is in AoD. Even the companion part is half-true, he's the only character (afaik) that makes an appearance in every city. Not that it's a bad thing.

ravenshrike

Novice
Is it me or is finding a face you like at character creation pretty fucking hard. The tool is so complex but it only lets you create uncannies or monstrosities. They did alright with Skyrim, why this now.
While the tool is sub-optimal and pretty limited, your inability to create a face is entirely your own.

It's pretty clear from the state of the crafting and settlement systems that they're planning on pushing a settlement/craft DLC. There's so many lazy things in them it's not funny. You can't plant flowers, the bathtubs and toilets you craft are the standard broken shite you find everywhere else, yet somehow you can create functional industrial water filters and large generators out of the same pile of crap. You apparently have a complete inability to write down a list of assignments for people to complete. It's just a mess. Also, the lack of ability to create vegetable oils or melt hooves down for glue is just sad. Apparently Bethesdans have never cracked an encyclopedia. The super mutants, if possible, make less sense than they did in F3 and are even smaller. The touchdown suiciders are just idiotic game design. Some sort of animal that exploded leaving its larvae to feast on your corpse would have been a much more interesting enemy than Mohammed the super mutant to the same effect. The damage curve and loot tables are... ridiculous. Finding pipe rifles and pistols in unopened military crates/rooms is just stupid. Meanwhile there's no ammo types yet somehow you can play professional gunsmith. Damage differences between calibers are just dumb. .50 BMG is supposed to do less than 20% more damage than .308? Really?

What's amusing is that the system behind it could easily be turned into a good game. Bethesda just clearly spent zero time doing so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom