Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disgaea released on Steam

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
If you're gonna grind might as well just take on the king. At least it's entirely optional.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I've never played a Disgea before, and considering they seem to all be roughly the same thing, would likely only play one. That said: which Disgea is the best?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've never played a Disgea before, and considering they seem to all be roughly the same thing, would likely only play one. That said: which Disgea is the best?

I'd have to go for this one. Story is best, grind is probably at the lowest. The only problem is that the mechanics aren't as developed as the later games, and perhaps the graphics are slightly inferior (they all look about the same anyway).

IMO, this series is only good on handhelds. Where the grind can be taken anywhere, on PC (and PS2) I can't say I would dedicate the time. Still, hopefully we'll see even more SRPGs (FFT, FFT, FFT!!!) on the PC.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

But you should play it in 1, 2, 4 order to get story and to feel happy from minor improvenments.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I actually liked Makai Kingdom the most myself. The gridless system and the way the map was generated as you played it made the tactical aspect feel more organic and active, as opposed to a lot of the usual Disgaea battles where you spend the first 5 minutes looking at the map, figure out exactly how to win your flawless victory, and then spend the next 10 minutes executing it without needing any more thought. Also, I just enjoyed the cast/plot a lot more.

That said, Disgaea got a shitton of sequels and spinoffs for a reason. Game is gud. Grind is overstated- it's not bad at all unless you're either a completionist (in which case it's worse than you can imagine) or too retarded to game the system (in which case LOL get wrecked scrub!)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I preferred La Pucelle or Phantom Brave and even there i didn't dream of doing the post game(s).

Disgaea story is also a piece of shit, but to be fair La Pucelle is too. (Phantom Brave is bad too but ehhh). Why not emulate one of the better jsrpgs if you're so thirsty for it.

spekkio

Arcane
Jap devs finally jumping the ship, now when the consoletardgeddon is upon them?

Good fucking riddance.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I preferred La Pucelle or Phantom Brave and even there i didn't dream of doing the post game(s).

Disgaea story is also a piece of shit, but to be fair La Pucelle is too. (Phantom Brave is bad too but ehhh). Why not emulate one of the better jsrpgs if you're so thirsty for it.

To be fair, these games would benefit immensely from a mouse interface. A lot of the gameplay is taken up by tedious cursor scrolling either across the battlefield or through menus.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That's true, but I'll believe the pc interface is better when i see it.
For instance, a key part of the interface of these games perfected over the years is the 'confirm before actually end turn whatever you're doing' which is something that would feel absurd in a pc game, for example, JA2.

But if they simply remove it from the pc version i suspect many little usability cues such as to-hit popups and stuff like that would have to be redesigned.

The games they actually should port and HD remake is Devil Survivor series :butthurt:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Firaxis "XCOM" comes to mind. Confirm x 58539453908 per battle. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.

Now we just need Atlus and Gust to smarten up.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Disgaea 5, the newest one, has the best gameplay at least. Any further discussion is just waifushit because the stories al horseshit regardless. And besides, everyone knows that Magic Knight is the best girl.

The final gate is open. First it was Greenlight, then Early Access. And now, the Prinnies.

Disgaea_3_Prinny_avatar.jpg

Dood.

damicore

Augur
Of all the disgaea's they have to port the one that everyone and their mother has emulated on 3 platforms? And they expect this to do well?
Give me 3 to 5 ffs.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
While I have it on handhelds anyway, I welcome the ever increasing ports of RPG's and tactical games from the PS/DS. Some are more suited and needing of a port than others(Valkyria, Dragons Dogma that got them, Nier, Fire Emblem, Ni No Kuni(yeah fuck you, I'd want it on PC) etc. that still hasn't) and the more this happens the better.

Oh and I'd like to see RDR on PC too. Fuck you Rockstar...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Comparison betwwen the original and updated PC version: http://steamcommunity.com/games/405900/announcements/detail/75795020937989014

Hey everyone!

As a quick introduction, my name is Robbie and I am the PR Coordinator here at NIS America!

Again, we are excited to announce the release of Disgaea PC in February 2016 and I wanted to share some additional information regarding the Disgaea PC release.

Below includes some comparison screenshots of new UI/sprites and map graphics versus the old UI/sprites and old map graphics. Please note that you can change the new or old UI/sprites and map graphics in Disgaea PC to your preference:

DisgaeaPC-A1.jpg

**New UI & Map Graphics (Set A)

DisgaeaPC-A2.jpg

**Old UI & Old Map Graphics (Set A)

DisgaeaPC-B1B.jpg

**New UI & Map Graphics (Set B)

DisgaeaPC-B2.jpg

**Old UI & Old Map Graphics (Set B)

You can also mix and match old & new UI/map graphics! So, you can have an older, original user interface & pixelated sprites, but have the updated map graphics that are optimized for your PC!

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as we will be posting more within this community and hopefully provide you with more updates as the release comes closer.

Thanks for your time!

Best,
Robbie

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Considering how long it took them to actually improve the visuals following the series' releases I'll take this even if it is just filtering. Now let's wait and see how they could possibly screw up the performance.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Those blurry sprites are the cancer. Literally. My eyes hurt from looking at it and I think I have eye cancer now.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That filter was in the original PS2 game too, IIRC. Anyway, just turn it off, problem solved.

Haraldur

Augur

I have played at least part of all of the first 4. I completed 1 and 4, so I think they are the best. If I had to choose, I would say that 4 was better.

Given that Disgaea 1 can already be played on an emulator, if need be, while that is less certain for Disgaea 4, I would prefer a port of 4.

Still, there may be some interesting mods for the PC version of Disgaea 1.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I certainly hope they'll keep porting portable versions because those are always the definitive versions. Shame there isn't one for D5 [yet].

I actually liked Makai Kingdom the most myself. The gridless system and the way the map was generated as you played it made the tactical aspect feel more organic and active, as opposed to a lot of the usual Disgaea battles where you spend the first 5 minutes looking at the map, figure out exactly how to win your flawless victory, and then spend the next 10 minutes executing it without needing any more thought. Also, I just enjoyed the cast/plot a lot more.

I'm actually a Soul Nomad fan myself. I wonder if Makai Kingdom port could actually happen, though. :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom