Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
How long until someone puts the original Fallout on the Pip-Boy game player?

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
kqNOajW.jpg

Drax

Arcane
Mama Murphy has to be the worst character in all of nu-Fallout. Yes, even worse than Three Dog and Moira. The character is nonsensical and the voice acting is the absolute worst.
Even that was better in New Vegas. The psychic kid was an ok NPC, that Whitney Houston Mama Murphy is annoying as fuck.

Adon

Arcane
Not to mention completely avoidable. Didn't find that kid until my 2nd or 3rd playthrough (as well as the merchant next to him) and his answers were pretty vague iirc.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wayne Newton has been Mr. Las Vegas for a very long time now, long before NV even. It's sad, but such is the life of second rate celebrities. I think Three Dog's character would have been better if they had made him some sort of post apocalyptic black panther, since it's implied his parent were some sort of radical leftists. But Bethesda hasn't got the guts to do something like that, just like how they don't include tribals in their games. Radio stations had a lot of potential in FO games, especially if different factions commented on different events under their own points of view, but we only have a glorified jukebox. Which is weird because licensing music tends to be very expensive.
Wayne Newton was a great choice for Mr. New Vegas even if he is a has-been C-lister. He fit the game perfectly and, honestly, gave a decent enough performance despite his advancing age. Also, like you said it felt more like actual news reports than Three Dog commenting on your character.

The DJ in FO4 is horrible. I get there's a quest you can do to make him more 'confident' but that feels like a bunch of forced SJW anti-bullying bullshit. The DJ in these games should fit the area like Wayne Newton fit Las Vegas. Lots of Boston types they could have gotten. Bill Burr would have been a good choice.

msxyz

Augur
So people buy Bethesda games to mess around with their bugs? Surely they've hit a gold mine within this niche market! :smug:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The music is really good this time around. Along with the challenging combat, attacking Quincy down south felt, dare I say, epic having to take all my drugs and barely making it out alive while some power armor guy chased me down.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Oh, and as a sidenote:

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:45 PM - tyrannosaurus rex: I already have 10 alts around that number. Including one that dates back to 2002. Banning me would just be useless for my own sake
Andhaira said the same thing once.

He was reduced to begging for accounts.

And make no mistake, by the time this is all through, Tyrannosaurus Rex will beg.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Or maybe it's because Fallout 4's opening is the longest and most boring of any Bethesda game yet. Yes, even worse than Skyrim's carriage ride.

Gord

Arcane
As Daedaolos said, it's more likely people that preordered but didn't have time to play yet or people that are waiting for some patches and/or mods before they start playing. Some might not be interested in playing now, etc.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Can you find and kill the DJ? One redeeming thing about Three Dog was that you could put a bullet in his brain and he was gone for good.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Pretty sure that's non-canon, along with the fact it's placing a jet engine on a stick. Not exactly effective at killing something, definitely preferred the design in 3/NV. Seems somewhat like the 'grave hammer' of the Fallout universe.

oh, here's an odd thing: You can't melee attack while jumping, apparently. What a bummer, the only way to strike from the air is to basically ground slam with power armor on.

Perkel

Arcane
Could it be, that they simply haven't played that much yet? Seems like the logical explanation.

Ppl got work, kids, wife, soeh

"Mooooom i said GTA not Fallout"

' this is the reason + people buying things just because they have free 60$ to spend.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Two Bethesda Tropes I Don't Understand (mild spoilers)

P.good read.

Yeah, 200 years is a long time.

Look at the past 200 years for instance... the United States has barely existed for that long. In that time, we developed railroads, had an industrial revolution, created electricity and flight, and even bothered to build the internet and make space flight a reality. Think about how alien the world of our grandparents seems. World War 2 era humanity seems like a completely different world, and that was only 70 years ago.

On the scale of 200 years, entire schools of architecture and fashion live and die. 200 years is long enough for anything that isn't intentionally preserved to go away completely just from decay and nature. If there were something like a wooden fence when the bombs dropped, it sure as shit wouldn't be there in F4's timeframe.

And yet, Bethesda thinks that not only wood that wooden fence be there, so would the skeletons of the dead and their fucking coffee mug. On top of that, settlers are wearing presumably pre-war clothes as if those wouldn't have been completely rotten and gone by now. Unless it's sitting in a museum somewhere, clothing doesn't generally survive 200 years except in very rare circumstances.

F4 certainly made more of an effort to establish context for settler's living situations and food sources, which I appreciate, but Fallout 4 is certainly not a well thought out world when you consider that it's been over 200 years. 200 years is enough time for an all new world to have clawed its way into existence.

It's as if Bethesda feels beholden to all the iconography established in past Fallout games. Or people at the studio don't think too deeply about it and just say "That's just Fallout! It's got power armor and Nuka Cola and raiders! Everything is there, for the fans!"

But if you actually think about it for any length of time, it becomes disappointing. People would have picked up the rubble, swept the floors, and moved on by this point. By this point, there would be working factories, trade, craftsmanship of some kind... not just 20 people in a scrap heap selling pipe guns.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Finally met mah babbie now.
Oh god I created a monster. One year of loving and caring and then that? He doesn't have that from my side, must be the sperm donor's genes at work. I never trusted that big nose of him anyway.
Have fun in your playhouse son, I am done with you. Free at last!

Time to go back to Prosperland and continue building my own Vegas. With blackjack. And ghoul hookers. Nah, forget blackjack.
Already put that naggy azn woman in a red dress, built her a small shack and placed Madame Murphy in front of it to deal with the cash.
OPEN FOR BUSINESS! Start raking in da caps nao biatch!

Funfact: Apparently Brahmins can listen to settlement beacons as well. Had a lone Brahmin joining my kingdom now. I hope that means I have stable fertilizer production now so I can make more of that sweet jet... mmmmmm jet.

Losing her babbie gave her an addiction to alcohol.
Searching for her babbie made her addicted to jet.
Finding her babbie gave her an addiction to headshots.

She can quit any time she wants!
Time to accompany Kate Cait to the detox vault...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom