Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Hahahaha, on one of the terminals I was just hacking two of the names were Fargo and Guido.

This is still my favorite collage.

a0cVGCc.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The settlement system is weird. I honestly think Bethesda intentionally left it as bare-bones as possible because they knew that consoletards wouldn't care and mods would fix it on the PC. The thing about it is that save for, like, two or three settlements, almost all of them are ridiculously small and give you very little room to work with. Since you want your ground level to plant food and water supplies, you'll ultimately wind up making all the buildings a story up. So inevitably once they start hitting their max capacity you'll wind up with settlements covered with these bizarre monoliths of ply-wood and corrugated iron that make absolutely no sense structurally (i.e. a three story building who's weight is supported by a single stairway made of wood). Also, in regards to beds, the game will only track how many beds are available, not whether or not your settlers can actually access them. So I'd always wind up making these giant high-rises with a floor filled with absolutely nothing but beds, stacked from end-to-end. I don't even wanna think about how much worse this would all be if I didn't get the supply links perk.

It's also debatable how useful earning caps is in this game at all. I know money has rarely been an issue in any of the Fallout games, but it's probably at its least useful here. All ammo and medical supplies you'll ever need are dropped by raiders, same as guns and weapon modifications. It's pretty much always more worth it to just strip all the weapons you get of their useful modifications and just give the remains to your settlers, or break them down for spare parts. The vendors at Diamond City occasionally sell unique weapons and armor, but I can guarantee that somewhere out there's a legendary creature that'll drop something even better. About the only thing you'll ever actually need to buy is random junk for the resources they drop.

Last edited:

Bradylama

Arcane
The settlement system was obviously tacked on as a cheap minecraft cash-in, because whether or not you help out settlements or keep them happy is completely and utterly inconsequential to anything actually going on in the game world. The Red Rocket gas station also has all of the workstations, which makes it the natural home base of anyone that wasn't dumb enough to put points into Charisma.

Fallout 4 is setting a whole new bar for laziness in AAA game development.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
This settlement system has been coming for a long time now, Skyrim was originally supposed to have something similar for the Civil War but it got cut due to console limitations, Hearthfire also introduced a cut down form of it. The reason it is inconsequential is because if you made it a part of the main quest tons of players would just complain about it so it's an optional thing. How is it being lazy?

Bradylama

Arcane
This settlement system has been coming for a long time now, Skyrim was originally supposed to have something similar for the Civil War but it got cut due to console limitations, Hearthfire also introduced a cut down form of it. The reason it is inconsequential is because if you made it a part of the main quest tons of players would just complain about it so it's an optional thing. How is it being lazy?

You don't have to make it a part of the main quest for the settlements system to be consequential, but they tore out the karma system, all the faction systems from New Vegas, and didn't replace it with any kind of Reputation mechanism, so nothing that you do actually matters. They also completely did away with multiple endings, so there isn't even an end-game acknowledgement that you helped guide the wastelanders into re-establishing a new civilization in the Commonwealth. All of this is LAZY LAZY LAZY, especially for a franchise whose primary selling point was its reactivity and multiple story paths.

Fallout 4 is nothing more than another Oblivion mod that somehow has less features than its own immediate predecessors. It's pure design-by-convenience committed by people who knew that their product was going to be a success regardless, and therefore did not want to bother expending the effort it would make to create a good game. It's a terrible RPG and mediocre shooter, with a paint by the numbers story. Basically the only thing it's good at is being a post-apocalyptic hiking simulator. There's no reason anybody should have spent 60 dollars on release for such an unpolished turd of a game, and it makes me cringe to see so many Codexers who were retarded enough to buy into this bullshit.

pippin

Removing the karma bullshit is good because it's tied to the black vs white morality that plagued Bethesda games so far. Not having faction mechanics is inexcusable though.

Bradylama

Arcane
Removing the karma bullshit is good because it's tied to the black vs white morality that plagued Bethesda games so far. Not having faction mechanics is inexcusable though.

The karma system was seriously flawed, but I would rather have it there for some form of reactivity rather than nothing.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
The game does have reactivity though, almost every quest has a post state that affects the world, quests also have multiple endings which while may not be the case with the main story is the case with most of the side quests. Also Radiant Story serves a similar purpose to Karma, albeit, it's hidden in the background.

We've tried so hard and went so far... In the end it doesn't even matter. Keep popping those moles until you're numb. It helps with the pain.

5d3Qytp.png

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Removing the karma bullshit is good because it's tied to the black vs white morality that plagued Bethesda games so far.

Yeah, as opposed to "white vs. don't take a quest" bullshit they've pulled of in FO4. That really added whole new layer of depth into the game.

Bradylama

Arcane
The game does have reactivity though, almost every quest has a post state that affects the world, quests also have multiple endings which while may not be the case with the main story is the case with most of the side quests.

Bullshit. Quest post-states are scripted events, not reactivity. Reactivity is when the game reacts to your actions as a player, and it necessitates that there is some other choices to be made to give the reaction gravity. There aren't any. The BOS will always show up after you kill Kellogg, That's linearity not reactivity. And quests that have more than one way to complete them often don't matter. You can sabotage the Battle of Bunker Hill by killing the courser and not taking in the Synths, but Father will just shrug it off and still trusts you with everything. There are maybe a handful of quests that have real branching paths, but they lack permanency because the end state is basically the same. Hancock will still become your companion even if you ripped him off and killed Fahrenheit. It's incredibly shallow and lazy.

And "Radiant Story" is just another way to say that random spawns will walk around and fight monsters or faction enemies. That's not a story.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's almost like Todd & Friends are having these game design meetings where they are going like "I bet we can do something THIS retarded and mainstream press & average gamers still don't see anything wrong with it!".

Buy then again, maybe they are just genuinely so incompetent that it's hard to believe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom