Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The game features multiple Lords of Cinder. I believe the player character is one as well. Get with the time gramps!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't see how the player being a Lord of Cinder would make sense. That would imply that you weren't playing as a human anymore.

Edit: Now I think I know what you mean, Phage, but I think you misunderstood what Miyazaki was saying. He meant that the PC from DaS1 is the current the Lord of Cinder, not the PC in DaS3.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I don't see how the player being a Lord of Cinder would make sense. That would imply that you weren't playing as a human anymore.

Edit: Now I think I know what you mean, Phage, but I think you misunderstood what Miyazaki was saying. He meant that the PC from DaS1 is the current the Lord of Cinder, not the PC in DaS3.

No, the game literally has multiple lords of cinder. You consume an ember (this game's humanity) to ascend to LORD OF CINDER mode - which is how you activate co-op

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Lord+of+Cinder+Mode

Everyone and everything is the lord of cinder. You (lord of cinder also) have to kill everything without ever really knowing why™.

Can't wait for VaatiVidya to explain it all to me!

:love:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That can't be the only way to summon others, can it? 40% more HP, what is this babby mode shit? Regardless, it seems like it's just (mis)using the Lord Souls power for a temporary boost in power, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you literally are the Lord of Cinder. Will just have to wait and see when the other pieces come into play as it's impossible to draw up any solid conclusions at this point. Interesting to see where this goes.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
That can't be the only way to summon others, can it? 40% more HP, what is this babby mode shit? Regardless, it seems like it's just (mis)using the Lord Souls power for a temporary boost in power, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you literally are the Lord of Cinder. Will just have to wait and see when the other pieces come into play as it's impossible to draw up any solid conclusions at this point. Interesting to see where this goes.

What? There was a network demo with this in it that thousands of people played, lol. The game says you become a lord of cinder when you use an ember. The entire plot of the game is you go around killing the other Inheritors (the boss literally says INHERITOR SLAIN or w/e when you beat it), who are also lords of cinder. It's fairly easy to conjecture from what we know that these inheritors, AKA Lords of Cinder, are potentially in line to obtain the next Lord Soul or something like that -- and you are one of them.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Another King's Field, in this day and age?

Probably just high fantasy Dark Souls.

At least King's Field went out with a bang (KFIV was the best of the lot, which is more than can be said for the "newer-gen" iterations of many other great series). Though I would desperately like a new King's Field with Souls-style shield use and perhaps even Souls-style death, combined with Shadow Tower: Abyss melee combat, I'm not too sure the current folks at FromSoft would be up to it, based on their comments regarding Bonfire fast-travel and "convenience". The height of King's Field was the dungeon design and the particularities of its travel system (at least in II and IV - III was a bit of a decline in that regard, and KFI was to KFII onwards as Demons' Souls is to Dark Souls); some of the greatest moments in that series were things like activating Seath's Fountain in KFII and opening the gate connecting Western and Eastern Island together (allowing for a perfect place to put a transport Key) and struggling through the King's Mausoleum in KFIV and finding that it leads to Central Tower Level 2, where there is a switch that opens a door to the centre of the old Level 3 and which is a complete game changer in terms of exploration that works marvellously with Guidepost, Stone, Wand, and Teleport Circle travel system - a system which I wish to God they would adapt for Souls games (they've already used the KF flask system and many other motifs from that series) as it's the best transport system I've ever seen in a quasi-open world game.

They captured some of that feeling with Dark Souls pre-Lordvessel, but it's very sad that they will adopt the dull DSII approach in DSIII for the sake of "convenience". I would rather a focus on great level design and world exploration which they have bloody well excelled at, rivalling Ultima Underworld itself, than this rather naff boss-battles and PvP stuff.

INKYoXD.png

:hahyou:

Athelas

Arcane
That looks like an excessive amount of needlessly rolling around.

praetor

Arcane
yeah, it looks like a DaS mod for bloodborne :( even those mooks have the same animations like the BB early mooks

Muhzaki fanboys won... This looks like shit mechanically. Might as well replace the rolling with side steps from BB and let them spam that along with nearly instant healing.

DaS2 was a step in the right direction in terms of mechanics but Muhzaki fanboys don't like that kind of depth.

Need more 2deep4me art and lore so that VaatiVidya and reddit can circlejerk this to death.

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom