Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
For those that have actually played it, I read that the companion system is just "go around doing nice things, and you'll get a free perk." Is that actually true? Did Bethesda see New Vegas' companions who have actual back story and motivations that you can uncover as you travel with them, and still manage to fuck up?

Also, anyone seen the ending yet? Does it actually mention any choices you made in the game? Or are there no actual choices to be made, that wouldn't surprise me.

Dexter

Arcane
This is armor in Bethesda's mind.

z6hHm4J.png
Eh, you'll make due with what you have:
u4Oc7J.png

Efyvdc.png

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
For those that have actually played it, I read that the companion system is just "go around doing nice things, and you'll get a free perk." Is that actually true? Did Bethesda see New Vegas' companions who have actual back story and motivations that you can uncover as you travel with them, and still manage to fuck up?

Also, anyone seen the ending yet? Does it actually mention any choices you made in the game? Or are there no actual choices to be made, that wouldn't surprise me.
It depends on the companion. A few of them do have a mission attached, like Cait and I think Preston, but they're usually extremely simple solutions to their current glaring character flaw that basically just amount to 'Go here, murder absolutely everything that moves, and say anything to them to permanently fix their issue'. To get to that point is usually pretty simple. The aforementioned Cait, for instance, is a junkie anti-hero, so you get approval points from her via shooting up on drugs and lock-picking, and disapproval points if you behave nicely to settlers. Paladin Danse is a straight-laced BoS member, so he approves of you enjoying murdering super mutants, helping people, and getting in power armor, and disapproves of you shooting up drugs. I haven't even bothered with Strong, since he disapproves of you doing anything that requires intelligence (i.e. Lock-picking and hacking). Theoretically, you can max out both of their approval ratings by standing in one spot and doing nothing but shooting up on drugs and repeatedly getting in and out of your suit of power armor, respectively.

About the only one of them I've come across that's legitimately useful in combat is Danse, who's in an indestructible suit of power armor and hits like a brick shithouse. All the other ones are either armed with fucking useless weapons (Piper, Valentine), or can't shoot for shit (Cait, Preston). I basically just milked them for the perks and dropped them the first opportunity I got.

Preston's a companion tailor made for those who fiddle around with Fallout's ancillary systems. Do a bunch of modding? "Hey, feel free to see what you can make of my weapons." Create new items for a settlement? *Preston idolizes you* Defend against an attack on a settlement? Preston reveals he was kind of okay with the raiders finally overtaking them in Concord, he was really depressed at the time. Drop him like a bad habit because holy shit, the cosplay is hiding some serious personality issues? "Hey General, let's go throw our burgeoning, vulnerable forces at the thing that curbstomped the previous order in its prime!"

He's been waiting for me to show up for that fight a couple days now.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Preston's a companion tailor made for those who fiddle around with Fallout's ancillary systems. Do a bunch of modding? "Hey, feel free to see what you can make of my weapons." Create new items for a settlement? *Preston idolizes you* Defend against an attack on a settlement? Preston reveals he was kind of okay with the raiders finally overtaking them in Concord, he was really depressed at the time. Drop him like a bad habit because holy shit, the cosplay is hiding some serious personality issues? "Hey General, let's go throw our burgeoning, vulnerable forces at the thing that curbstomped the previous order in its prime!"

He's been waiting for me to show up for that fight a couple days now.
That fight's honestly pretty easy. Only difficult part is when the Mirelurk Queen shows up and starts spamming its stream of high damaging acid bullshit at you, forcing you to duck inside the fort and take potshots at it. Other'n that I'd say it's fairly worth it.

Oh if nothing else I'd finally get some use out of the growing stockpile of mini-nukes I've been ignoring up till now. But an advantage of having him off scouting The Castle is that he's no longer in Sanctuary sabotaging my concentration. I'd have done my shopping, sold or broke down my spoils and done all the upgrading I needed to do. Fortify and improve a settlement here or there and then be ready to concentrate on exploring a certain path or making a beeline to a quest location. Then..."Hey General, you should check out this place. We could make a new settlement there." Oh damn it. I can't resist.

I'm making much more progress on my quest log now that he's not around.

There's a thread on Neogaf right now about Bethesda's writing and someone posted this screenshot of Fallout 3 (among others) and I'm literally dying. My life is flashing before my eyes, and everything I've ever believed in has been called into question.

Fallout-3-small-111.jpg

This is mind bogglingly awful. An actual human being wrote this. I just can't even wrap my head around it.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
There's a thread on Neogaf right now about Bethesda's writing and someone posted this screenshot of Fallout 3 (among others) and I'm literally dying. My life is flashing before my eyes, and everything I've ever believed in has been called into question.

Fallout-3-small-111.jpg

This is mind bogglingly awful. An actual human being wrote this. I just can't even wrap my head around it.
Daily reminder that it's easier to talk a sentient AI who's spent two hundred years devising his plants for the Wasteland to discard his plan and kill himself than it is to convince a woman in an ant costume that she's not a comic book character.

Gerrard

Arcane
There has to be some bug with companions using 10 times the amount of ammo they should. It just fucking disappears.

Also, do the settlers need ammo as well? Because that is an amount of babysitting I'm not willing to tolerate.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
There has to be some bug with companions using 10 times the amount of ammo they should. It just fucking disappears.

Also, do the settlers need ammo as well? Because that is an amount of babysitting I'm not willing to tolerate.
So long as they have one round of ammunition for their gun in their inventory, they've got unlimited ammo, last time I checked.

Fairfax

Arcane
This game makes me miss Fallout: New Vegas. I hope some modders are passionate enough to port FNV over to FO4 as people did with Oblivion and Morrowind in Skyrim.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

There's nothing. No ending slides, no C&C, no nothing. Unless I'm missing something you just get a generic rendered outro. Fucking laughable.

They don't use ammo for their default weapons. Which completely suck except Danse's. And yeah, if you give them something reasonable they just use up all ammo within one fight. It's not a bad idea to give them a melee weapon, like a deathclaw gauntlet, otherwise they're completely useless.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The ending is the same cinematic with slightly different voiceovers depending on who you sided with... it's lazier than even Fallout 3's ending.

Shammy

Learned
The ending is the same cinematic with slightly different voiceovers depending on who you sided with... it's lazier than even Fallout 3's ending.
Yup which is infuriating beyond belief, like I get the near lack of C&C in the base game but they still exist, sprawled out there in bits and pieces. And yet the ending takes nothing of it into account. :(

erickaqua

Educated
Now that I think about it, if the Institute are looking for batch of fresh humans for their synth prototype, why do they have to kill everybody in Vault 111?
I mean, your adult character is viable as a "backup", why wouldn't anybody else in that vault?

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
This is incredible. Every time I hear something new about this game, it's the worst possible way they could have implemented that feature. How did reviewers play this and decide that it was not just acceptable, but excellent?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Minuteman would be an acceptable faction if they hadn't been so utterly devastated the moment you met them. I know it's Bethesda being Bethesda, but really, it would be akin to you joining Skyrim's Companions who just got slaughtered down to just two brothers and a bunch of scared villagers they were supposed to save. Turns out they were savaged by Claw of Death, the legendary Dragon of Quinsee and require you to equip the Powerius Maximus Dwemer Armor located atop the tower they were taking shelter in. The catch? You have to unlock a Novice lock to recover the Dwemer power core in the basement to power it up first. You then insert the core, shot the Dragon down with Meenae'gan, a legendary bow of Dragonslayer. Where upon killing the dragon and absorbing its soul to power your dwemer armor, one of the remaining two companions, Prestus Gaveorn declare you as their newest leader because he saw you in his dreams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom