Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The good things about Fallout 4

baturinsky

Arcane
Useless (or barely useful) perks was in all Fallout fames.
Solar Powered can have some uses.
Stats can go beyond 10 and give bonuses accordingly. And rad regen for second perk level is 4/sec, which is pretty handy and means that you will not care about build up of radiation from food and ghouls any more.

rad regen is overall useless when an easier-to-acquire perk, Rad Resistance and Medic, exist. I'd say that effect on the perk is basically Lazy Mode engaged. Think the only worth in it is the health regen, IF it's 4/sec, which would make stimpak/food healing ridiculously fast and make Survival mode even more laughable.

All End perks are kinda meh. But End stat itself gives quite hefty HP bonus. Which is why Nerd Rage would be perfect End10 perk.

Perkel

Arcane
Dark humor is abundant in F4.

Dark humor only works when it is used as not obvious humor.
F4 is just big pile of popculture references on each other screaming in your face "I AM HUMOR LAUGH"

You can see that especially in Vault 114. Bunch of raiders got suits and suddenly italian mafia along with only submachine guns and ending of that plot with literal sitcom stuff.

Bethseda in F4 stopped completely giving a fuck about any kind of subtlenes or context or even basic logic.

Why the hell 22 century raider who found out bunch of pre war suits can talk like mafia mob with their fucking accent ?

potatojohn

Arcane
Why the hell 22 century raider who found out bunch of pre war suits can talk like mafia mob with their fucking accent ?
Maybe he watched pre-war mafia movies? Do you need everything explicitly spelled out for you like in New Vegas?

It's no different than The Kings in NV, except F4 trusts you have some imagination and doesn't beat you on the head with it.

Mozg

Arcane
F4 looks like the best that anyone has done with the simmy fantasy of power armor. I haven't actually played it so I don't know how it feels gameplay-wise but the vehicle-like element and having a separate UI are obvious right choices. The power core things are a glaring contrivance but it's fine to give you a reason to not be in the armor sometimes. If Beth were open enough to give interviews and stuff about what particular people were in charge of we'd know the PA guy isn't one of the shitters.

They even went the extra mile and made the F1/F2 armor suits look almost exactly like the old high-res cover renders.

Perkel

Arcane
You sound like The kings were good in New Vegas. At least Omerta didn't talk with italian mob accents and they were not raiders of all things.

Mozg

Arcane
The New Vegas canon was that they were indeed raiders just a few years before House gave them a bunch of suits to wear, and the one guy in the Omertas I remember was played by Alex Rocco (a guy that does a lot of straight stereotyped mobster characters) doing a straight italian mobster stereotype. It was a dumb stretch, just like New Reno was a dumb stretch.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, it's a Bethesda game so of course it has dumb humor in it.
I especially dislike the radio DJs. What's up with them screwing that up in both FO3 and here? Did they put the same idiot in charge for this again? WFT Bethesda? :lol:
But they still did some things right with the dialogues.
NPCs don't tell you their live stories, neither when they meet you nor when they know you better and trust you. They just tell you what they want and also make some short situational comments. A lot of those in fact, so dialogues are not too bad actually. That you can't say mean stuff most of the time makes it even more like in real live, because only complete fringe sociopaths would alienate everyone they meet just for the laughs. Still disappointing that you can't be a raider and bully / rob people yourself, at least it doesn't seem like you can.
So far I didn't meet many NPCs who don't want me to kill some raiders or trade stuff, hope it gets a bit more interesting soon.
The dialogue menu is garbage of course but mods already fixed it so who cares. What I like about it is how you can move freely during dialogues, feels more natural this way.

The main hook so far is ruins scavenging and trying to build up my sneaky commando char. I mentioned that I found gear giving attribute boni silly but I'm starting to actually like the idea, good way to get more agility and strength and support the build. There are also armor modifications (like muffled) that make movement less noisy.
The RPG aspect might be dumbed down but as that 60% Quarter of Three review showed you can still manage to be too dumb for even that much, lol. That guy didn't make sensible char building decisions (choose a damage dealing method and then only invest in perks and gear upgrades that support that) and then whines about HP bloat and bullet sponges on survival difficulty. Fucking amateurs, I swear.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of FO4's system, but that line of critique strikes me as a bit odd.
In the older parts it was tied to your skill-level, now it seems (don't own it) tied to the amount of perks you invested. Both require you to level up a few times and invest something into the skill.
The earlier parts are more flexible, of course, but SPECIAL requirements are not such a bad thing per se.

It is terms of flexibility and potential amount of character builds.
The removal of skills neutered an entire layer of character customization and for me that is a huge part of a cRPG, planning out my character out of a huge amount of posible builds into a synergistic well oiled "machine".
YOu can still plan out a build, like make a thief, but you have to know you need X stat for X perk and the same for other X perks involved in your build. It's stil very similar it's just perhaps a little more convoluted IF the Perks are confusing.

All that's changed is instead of stats + skills + perks it's stats + perks. Right?

It SHOULD be simpler to make a build or follow one. Yet if the names or descriptions are unclear....

Technically I see Bethesda doing what they did with Daggerfall->Morrowind->Oblivion->Skyrim. They removed skills/item slots/etc. They were trying to cut down on the bloat. They're streamlining it. I don't like it, but ti's popular.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
I'm not a big fan of FO4's system, but that line of critique strikes me as a bit odd.
In the older parts it was tied to your skill-level, now it seems (don't own it) tied to the amount of perks you invested. Both require you to level up a few times and invest something into the skill.
The earlier parts are more flexible, of course, but SPECIAL requirements are not such a bad thing per se.

It is terms of flexibility and potential amount of character builds.
The removal of skills neutered an entire layer of character customization and for me that is a huge part of a cRPG, planning out my character out of a huge amount of posible builds into a synergistic well oiled "machine".
YOu can still plan out a build, like make a thief, but you have to know you need X stat for X perk and the same for other X perks involved in your build. It's stil very similar it's just perhaps a little more convoluted IF the Perks are confusing.

All that's changed is instead of stats + skills + perks it's stats + perks. Right?

It SHOULD be simpler to make a build or follow one. Yet if the names or descriptions are unclear....

Technically I see Bethesda doing what they did with Daggerfall->Morrowind->Oblivion->Skyrim. They removed skills/item slots/etc. They were trying to cut down on the bloat. They're streamlining it. I don't like it, but ti's popular.

But you still have less options and the choices mean even less now.

So we've done a lot of circlejerking about how terrible it is, but what's good about it compared to other F3/NV?

Off the top of my head:

- It's not piss easy any more. Unlike New Vegas, there are actually some challenging encounters

- Companions aren't a WIN button any more. They seem to miss a lot and have trouble turning/tracking enemies

- No more dump stats. In New Vegas charisma, agility and perception were completely useless. In F4, all of the attributes seem useful

- Power armor is now way better. Instead of being just another armor, it has its own mechanics and upgrades, including a jetpack (!)
-New Vegas's toughest encounters put Fallout 4 to shame, Fallout 4 is all about hp bloat and stupid mutating "legendary" radroaches that regain all their hp at random for no reason and drop Borderlands loot. The quarry junction and most places with cazadors are more dangerous than anything in Fallout 4. It is much harder than 3 though. Overall the combat, it's enemies, and it's loot are waaay too much like Borderlands, if you were to craft Fallout 4 at a workbench it would require 1x copy of Borderlands, 1x copy of Minecraft, and 1x beaten to death, barely recognizable copy of Fallout.

-Companions are completely useless in every way, a massive step down in competence from F:NV, they will stand and stare at you like retards whilst enemies are a few feet behind them, they will be lit on fire and nonchalantly place themselves in front of a doorway. Somehow they've managed to make companions more useless than in any other game they've been a part of, or any Fallout game. Maybe only Fallout 1 companions are on par, but at least they attacked the enemies most of the time.(Granted you weren't standing in the way.)
It's not something to praise, it's pretty awful.

-Nah, not really, since VATS is and has always been a shitty unfun system, the focus on it with all the attributes just makes it more disappointing. Agility in New Vegas actually improved your gunplay outside of vats, in vats it was the same as it is in FO4. Charisma's bonus was also good, because the companions were actually competent, a 10 charisma character could really play the diplomat build and have it completely viable, that build is absolute shit in FO4. Besides that, Fallout 4 has like, multiple perks/perk levels dedicated to doing what NV's charisma already did.
Ultimately, nothing that the new SPECIAL system does wasn't already done by a skill before.

-Power armor is actually the worst that it's ever been, despite being the best that it's ever been, if that makes any sense..
As great as it feels to use it's impact is completely cheapened by being not only available at level 1 -2 in the game, but also being just everywhere, it's common, and easy, and feels less like becoming the endgame titan that finally managed to trump the wastes like in previous games, and instead feels like a short little power up or vehicle that needs to be maintained and powered with little batteries.

Everything else is in point though, still doesn't manage to make it a good game, and it's no where near NV, better than Fallout 3 at best.

The actual good thing about this game is how it has elements from mods like xtra SPECIAL from NV, for example:
-SPECIAL stats are now soft capped, meaning you can min max your character and not have all the little shitty knick knacks and drugs not turn completely useless
-The xp system is changed to support a lot of different playstyles, you can just hunt animals and shit, use science and chemistry to make junk, and build settlements, and you'll level up from it, which is cool.
- Intelligence affects your overall xp

Setting wise, the world is actually managing to rebuild, there are actual factions, and some decent characters, which is a big improvement over 3. The concept of retaking the wasteland one settlement at a time is a great one. But the game's obsession with "dynamic" randomly generated shit ruins it, along with 99% of the game's quests, which fall into the same category.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Fallout: New Vegas had actual dialogue choices, in English and everything. That dialogue was written by middle-schoolers instead of toddlers, too. Combined with vastly superior reactivity, it makes it a masterpiece compared to both Bethesdurr attempts.

Mozg

Arcane
Also despite what someone told me here they used a soft DT system (high-damage hits get reduced less than low-damage hits, although unlike New Vegas it's smooth function of damage to armor ratio instead of simple damage subtraction). I dunno if they back that up in the game in smart ways the way NV did (like having 0 DT Cazadores with fragile wings that call out for something that can throw hollowpoints at full auto) or if every scaling enemy just gets some flat armor that has nothing to do with the enemy type or what it's wearing, but it's a sound fundamental. Skyrim had flat % damage reduction so it's not just Bethesda standard.

That you can't say mean stuff most of the time makes it even more like in real live, because only complete fringe sociopaths would alienate everyone they meet just for the laughs.

So, people like your average player character.

comic351_zps86920b32.png

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dark humor is abundant in F4.

Dark humor only works when it is used as not obvious humor.
F4 is just big pile of popculture references on each other screaming in your face "I AM HUMOR LAUGH"

You can see that especially in Vault 114. Bunch of raiders got suits and suddenly italian mafia along with only submachine guns and ending of that plot with literal sitcom stuff.

Bethseda in F4 stopped completely giving a fuck about any kind of subtlenes or context or even basic logic.

I get what your saying. The trigger men in the warehouses at Good Neighbor I kind of just ignored and got the quest done.
I never got as far as what you are referring to as I uninstalled after 20 hours or so.
F4 is not anywhere near perfect but I managed to find some funny moments. For that I am always grateful. Didn't cost me anything other than my time.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Fun fact. The Orc in your team, the Orc that loves eating people and butchering them, dislikes you picking locks or stealing. This is more moronic than Mass Effect's "likes and dislikes" for companions. Just like dialogue wheel Bethesda copied and failed to improve, making it worse.

He dislikes you picking locks and stealing because he doesn't like you "tinkling" with things. Petty lockpicking/stealing is not MANLY enough for him.

ortucis

Prophet
Fun fact. The Orc in your team, the Orc that loves eating people and butchering them, dislikes you picking locks or stealing. This is more moronic than Mass Effect's "likes and dislikes" for companions. Just like dialogue wheel Bethesda copied and failed to improve, making it worse.

He dislikes you picking locks and stealing because he doesn't like you "tinkling" with things. Petty lockpicking/stealing is not MANLY enough for him.

It isn't a "MAN". It's a Supermutant. According to their own lore, they consider themselves to be superior species.

Also, that's fucking retarded.

REMOVE SAPIENS, you are worst homo...wow, you smell...you live in a vault….ahahahaha, america we will never forgeve you...human genocide best day of my life. take a bath of FEV..ahahahahah NCR WE WILL GET YOU!! do not forget ww3

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
*Shrug*

Why do you have to be level 24 to be a sniper in F2?

You can be a sniper at any level, just grab a sniper rifle. You are eligible for the perk called "sniper" at level 24. It's a bonus.

The best thing about Fallout 4, is that it saved me 60USD.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

It isn't a "MAN". It's a Supermutant. According to their own lore, they consider themselves to be superior species.

Also, that's fucking retarded.

FYI, that mutant companion doesn't have a problem with you "stealing". He even says something about "Strong likes you just taking what you want" whenever you steal.

ortucis

Prophet
FYI, that mutant companion doesn't have a problem with you "stealing". He even says something about "Strong likes you just taking what you want" whenever you steal.

So basically, Bethesda forgot they recorded that line? (unless it's him being sarcastic)

Cause he dislikes EVERY SINGLE TIME, you steal anything. Fucker can see through walls, I told him to wait on ground floor and stole something 3 floors up and he didn't "like" that as well. Fucking Facebook generation mutant.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If only google existed in the 21st century you could find the answer to this pressing question.

The Triggermen are gangsters who base themselves around Boston's pre-war mafia families and their traditions. This appears to be due to the influence of their ghoul members, who claim to have been members of such organizations.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I read on a terminal in that vault that it was stuffed full of rich folks, with sparse amenities and shared living conditions. And I was like "Oooh, so here's where the gangsters come from." And then a minute later one of them goes. "Yeah we cleared this place out and took over."

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom