Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Butthurt Arcanum Vs Fallout.

Which is the better game? Arcanum or Fallout?

• Arcanum

Votes: 48 27.9%
  • Fallout

Votes: 124 72.1%

• Total voters

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Neither is party based so they're both shit. :smug:

Excuse moi, you can have quite the party in Arcanum. 6 followers + Dog and Dante if i remember correctly, that's more than in most other games. They also have dialogues and things to say in new areas, not to mention you can give them equipment and use their technology abilities to craft different things. Certain characters don't like each other, they will leave depending on alignment. You can't control them, which is sad, but it's still a party.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Neither is party based so they're both shit. :smug:

Excuse moi, you can have quite the party in Arcanum. 6 followers + Dog and Dante if i remember correctly, that's more than in most other games. They also have dialogues and things to say in new areas, not to mention you can give them equipment and use their technology abilities to craft different things. Certain characters don't like each other, they will leave depending on alignment. You can't control them, which is sad, but it's still a party.
I ment full party control in combat.

Darkzone

Arcane
Fallout vs Arcanum. Fallout is more complete game and therefore i would state Fallout is the better game. But Arcanum has a very interesting setting: Magic vs Sciences, Spells vs Tools.
(And what i cannot understand is why Obsidian is not making a sequel to Arcanum.)

Prime Junta

Arcanum is a glorious failure. If it didn't fall on its face all the time, it would easily beat Fallout. But, sadly, it does.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Fallout vs Arcanum. Fallout is more complete game and therefore i would state Fallout is the better game. But Arcanum has a very interesting setting: Magic vs Sciences, Spells vs Tools.
(And what i cannot understand is why Obsidian is not making a sequel to Arcanum.)

If Obsidian makes a sequel to Arcanum, they have to let Tim Cain be the lead designer.

Sothpaw

Learned
I finished Arcanum for the first time last week. I like Fallout a lot more.

Darkzone

Arcane
If Obsidian makes a sequel to Arcanum, they have to let Tim Cain be the lead designer.

Hopefully not JES.

But can you romance any of them?

:dgaider:

pippin

Because someone has the rights - I think its Activision if I remember rght.

IIRC Sierra is owned by Activision, so yeah, if that's the case, the future of Arcanum is in the hands of Bobby Kotick.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Arcanum pissed me off the entire time I played it but I think fondly back on every part of the experience. It's brought me more enjoyment than any other single game I've played. Eh, except Warcraft III custom maps.

Also fuck the Black Mountain Mines, that was a miserable dungeon.

Fallout is a better complete package, in that there wasn't anything horribly bad like Arcanum's combat, but Arcanum was like a beacon of hope that showed the next true step to RPG goodness. The first time I played Arcanum I thought to myself this is the closest I'm going to get to playing a single player pnp simulator. I have yet to play any crpg past or present that came close to reaching that.

Maybe I have rose-tinted glasses, but I remember a time where most of the dex praised Arcanum. Now it seems the common response is "is this worth playing?" :negative:

I refer you to my post about the secrets of the Codex.

Or would if I knew where it was.

The point is that each new year's crop of posters represents a further decline from power of the 2002 elders. As the 13th generation, 2015 represents the last year where posters of any significance to the incline (however remote) will join the forum.

After that, thin bloods and RPGCodex Gehenna.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Most of these newfags are also the kind that play Fallout 4 and other Bethesda walking sims so their opinion on anything is invalid.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Arcanum was mixed bag some parts of it like PC creation, NPCs, quests, Tarant were all way beyond Fallouts but... There were far too many boring dungeons put into game to make it longer and combat was even worse than in Fallout 1; so as entertainment factor goes F2>Arcanum>F1 but as a game as average it will be F2>F1>Arcanum... Not to mention that Fallouts has Fallout Tactics spin off a proper :obviously: TB squad tactic/RP game.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Did you play as a mage or Technologist?

Played as a mage and I abused the fuck out of harm and mage staffs. Teleportation was a huge help too.

Try playing a Technologist, it's first then that you get the full Arcanum Experience. It's quite amusing that most people who don't like Arcanum, play Harm spam.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I enjoyed playing a mage. My first character was a half-elf with the Lady's Man trait, focused on charisma and magic skills. I could talk my way through almost anything, and when I that failed, I had a small army of schmucks willing to wade into combat for me while I kept my distance.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I enjoyed playing a mage. My first character was a half-elf with the Lady's Man trait, focused on charisma and magic skills. I could talk my way through almost anything, and when I that failed, I had a small army of schmucks willing to wade into combat for me while I kept my distance.

While there is nothing wrong with playing a mage, a Technologist gives you a lot more to do. The things that you pick up can all be used for different schematics and items, you create one item to use in the creation of another. It blends perfectly and everything you pick up can be used, you can also sell these things so just by scavenging trash cans in Tarant you can equip your party with awesome gear, or sell the gear to get a ton of money. You're able to pick up unique schematics outside in the world, some are really powerful and others are fun and entertaining. You need to put points into specific technology branches to get different things, no branch is useless, you also need to mix them to gain the most powerful items.

10 in explosives, 20 in smith -> Pyrotechnic axe. (which will be able to carry you through the entire game, you can get it 40 minutes into the game if you want to).

You can buy tomes from a trader in Tarant, to help increase some of these these technology branches (when you hold them in your inventory, you get a bonus equal to your intellect). So if you don't feel like getting 10 in explosives for the axe, you can buy a tome and if you have 10 intelligence, you're able to make it anyway.

The technology followers are also some of the best and most interesting, because you can have them craft items for you. So if you're after a certain thing, you might be able to have your followers craft parts of it, so you don't have to put points into that branch.

You're only touching 60% of the game when you play as a mage, they made crafting in Arcanum into something amazing.

made

Arcane
Arcanum was the greatest RPG of all time - until The Witcher came along and revolutionized the genre. Now, every new Witcher game is the greatest RPG of all time.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

While there is nothing wrong with playing a mage, a Technologist gives you a lot more to do. The things that you pick up can all be used for different schematics and items, you create one item to use in the creation of another. It blends perfectly and everything you pick up can be used, you can also sell these things so just by scavenging trash cans in Tarant you can equip your party with awesome gear, or sell the gear to get a ton of money. You're able to pick up unique schematics outside in the world, some are really powerful and others are fun and entertaining. You need to put points into specific technology branches to get different things, no branch is useless, you also need to mix them to gain the most powerful items.

10 in explosives, 20 in smith -> Pyrotechnic axe. (which will be able to carry you through the entire game, you can get it 40 minutes into the game if you want to).

You can buy tomes from a trader in Tarant, to help increase some of these these technology branches (when you hold them in your inventory, you get a bonus equal to your intellect). So if you don't feel like getting 10 in explosives for the axe, you can buy a tome and if you have 10 intelligence, you're able to make it anyway.

The technology followers are also some of the best and most interesting, because you can have them craft items for you. So if you're after a certain thing, you might be able to have your followers craft parts of it, so you don't have to put points into that branch.

You're only touching 60% of the game when you play as a mage, they made crafting in Arcanum into something amazing.

All very true. :bro: I'd say more but this thread has made me want to reinstall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom