Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

pippin

Stalker..... I almost got Stalker 2

The Stalker games are all "Stalker 1". Stalker 2 was never made. There were even rumours that Bethesda wanted to buy the Stalker franchise, fortunately nothing happened.

Imperial Legion are BoS?

The Midwestern Brotherhood crucifies raiders. I wonder what could happen if they met the Legion.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Why can't you believe that it's exactly what Bethesda was going for? If you look at other quests, including main quest line, you'll see that they are big fans of moral ambiguity.

I think you mistake a combination of laziness and ineptitude in narrative and dialogue for moral ambiguity. generally speaking, a piece of narrative with moral ambiguity needs a lens for the audience capable of saying more than just YES/NO/WHAT?/SARCASTIC. I recognize that YES and NO, side by side, are technically ambiguous, but that's not -usually- what's meant.

The Stalker games are all "Stalker 1". Stalker 2 was never made. There were even rumours that Bethesda wanted to buy the Stalker franchise, fortunately nothing happened.

is this you doing that thing that I do where I'm like "shame they never made a Fallout 3," or were all the STALKERs meant to take place simultaneously or something? I so badly want to love that series, but the terrible gunplay/lack-of-stealth just always turns me off, no matter what mods I go for. great mood, though.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Where Fallout 4 truly shines is in its mechanics and deep and complex stat system.

the_shadow

Arcane
Is the 'Dex trying to work some sort of sly reverse psychology on me? The more people bemoan how much Fallout 4 sucks, the more curious I become. I'd rather a technically bad but memorable game over a technically average but cookie-cutter game.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I just realised, since the Brotherhood is now unified and has a sizable force behind it. Wouldn't that open up conflict with the NCR/Legion/House?

Also, the chosen one is still alive, right?

Beastro

Arcane
is this you doing that thing that I do where I'm like "shame they never made a Fallout 3," or were all the STALKERs meant to take place simultaneously or something? I so badly want to love that series, but the terrible gunplay/lack-of-stealth just always turns me off, no matter what mods I go for. great mood, though.

Yes and no.

There were the first three games each given a separate subtitle, then they planned to make Stalker 2 (and most likely a few more based around it like the previous ones did with the first) before things went to shit.

Clear Skies and Call of Pripyat are practically Stalker 2 and 3 now since the series isn't going anywhere.

If you want to place blame throw it at the developers for taking the worst or both kinds of sequel and muddling shit since you can't even make the stretch that CS and CoP are tied into the first game since there's little connection to it, one taking place in past, the other from the view of a entirely separate character after the events of the first.

Zerginfestor

Learned
Looks like they're moving Fallout into the Elder Scrolls universe now... *sigh*

http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-and-skyrim-might-be-in-the-same-universe-1745249353

I know, it was just a stupid easter egg (or a lazy intern that didn't want to create a new plant model), but still.. gah.

What's next? They're considering Deathclaws are related to Dragons? They're probably the type of idiots who think "BIGGA IZ BETTA; GETTING BIGGA IZ EVOLUTION" and think the Deathclaw evolves into the dragon, not the other way around, just like those fucking idiots who made that dlc-filled pile of shit "Evolve", when hilariously, there was nothing about the entire game that was centered around creatures 'evolving'. Should've been called "Metamorphosis".

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
why do you even consider such bullshit even plausible?
fucking clickbaits. just paste the article here next time.

Bradylama

Arcane
and even Fallout 3 left an expansionist and racist new Brotherhood on the East Coast.

So being sensible is now racist?

What's the matter, did a ghoul rape your mother?

I think you mistake a combination of laziness and ineptitude in narrative and dialogue for moral ambiguity. generally speaking, a piece of narrative with moral ambiguity needs a lens for the audience capable of saying more than just YES/NO/WHAT?/SARCASTIC. I recognize that YES and NO, side by side, are technically ambiguous, but that's not -usually- what's meant.

Yeah, there's no room for moral ambiguity here. The Railroad is right about Synths and opposing the Institute. You could argue that wiping out all the scientists is "morally ambiguous" but that's really just stupid.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Not to mention it makes Piper look like a scare-mongering idiot who's whipping Diamond City up into a paranoid frenzy with her glorified tabloid magazine claiming that commies synth spies are everywhere, when they are actually a fairly rare threat in comparison to the constant and very real threat posed by the attacks from Super Mutants, raiders, feral ghouls, and other assorted nasties.
That's Piper alright. While traveling with her she will occasionally wander off to ask settlers how they cope with the constant threat of being killed in your sleep by synths. Even the vault dwellers in 81. Eventually I decided to treat her like the biggest troll who just enjoys frightening others.
To be fair:
She was right about the mayor. Poor Danny.

But that's Piper's hidden character message:
The truth can do more harm than good, so take the doritos and praise us instead of writing an angry review.

Gerrard

Arcane
you can't even make the stretch that CS and CoP are tied into the first game since there's little connection to it, one taking place in past, the other from the view of a entirely separate character after the events of the first.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
What makes you say that? Seems like a light joke about the base building gimmick. Wonder what his opinion is about it not building to anything meaningful WRT the narrative. Ditto the endless radiant quests. When they said they looked to Destiny for inspiration I thought they just meant the gunplay, not the shitty quests that meant nothing and barely linked up with the story.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Is the 'Dex trying to work some sort of sly reverse psychology on me? The more people bemoan how much Fallout 4 sucks, the more curious I become. I'd rather a technically bad but memorable game over a technically average but cookie-cutter game.

Yes. Go play it. Now. It's really memorable. Mmmm.

typical user

Arbiter
You bash Piper for speaking about synths but you forget that whole fucking city is in war zone filled with muties and raiders who don't mind each other. That hole with 12 shacks is the best humanity can do after 210 years and is called great green jewel. Even Klamath was bigger than that. It is even more moronic when you wonder how do they trade, how do they get pre-war unspoiled food, meds and other things. Who in that world would be stupid enough to send caravans to trade with some morons who decided to settle in middle of destroyed town filled with mutated crap that can easily raze it to the ground? Todd Howard probably.

And there are also dead flora, skeletons, drugs, guns and anything else laying around everywhere for taking after 200 years. It's like time stopped after 3 years of nuclear fire. And no one probably told lead designer that whole game looks 2087 not 2287.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The screw is the biggest second invention after the wheel.

Josh should manage his words regarding Fallout 4 if he ever wants to touch the franchise in the future.
Or maybe he's not so delighted about the streamlined RPG mechanics that he thinks, "Fuck this shit. I don't have anything to work with anymore!"

edit: so, how many hours Tim Cain has in Fallout 4?
what's his steam ID link?

he went to Fallout 4 release party. I guess it's polite to have at least a few hours spent in the game :))

"What is your hope for future Fallout games? Would you like to be a part of a future Fo team?
I hope Fallout can be continued as an RPG series. Action and strategy spin-offs are OK, but the best explorations of the themes of the Fallout universe will be in done in a true RPG. With that said, the graphics can certainly be improved, along with character and environmental interaction, and some game system improvements as well. And yes, I�d like to be a part of that improvement.
" - Tim Cain

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
What makes you say that? Seems like a light joke about the base building gimmick. Wonder what his opinion is about it not building to anything meaningful WRT the narrative. Ditto the endless radiant quests. When they said they looked to Destiny for inspiration I thought they just meant the gunplay, not the shitty quests that meant nothing and barely linked up with the story.
Because Todd remembers slights like an elephant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom